Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

What makes Marxism different from a religion?

That depends on how you define religion. By your definition, it, and almost everything else in the world, is actually religion.

To people with a normal definition of religion, it's not a religion because of what I already said about it, maybe you missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tei posted:

Just because somebody is atheist, it don't mean is rational. He or she can still be faith base. And people change. Somebody could have been rational in their teenager years, become atheist, then change and become irrational as he mature but still support atheism because is now his "religion". You know that being rational is hard, is a hard to do thing and many people lack the skill. You know because you have posted about it in this thread (If I am not mistaken).

Oh interesting, so to explain someone's behavior we need to look at the society they grew up in, the beliefs they got from other places, the political situation in their country, and everything else and not just assume it's the atheism that made them do it. hm.

Also interesting, people compartmentalize, what someone's (non)religion is tells you pretty much nothing about whether they'll approach a given empirical or moral question rationally or not, you don't say.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

That depends on how you define religion. By your definition, it, and almost everything else in the world, is actually religion.

To people with a normal definition of religion, it's not a religion because of what I already said about it, maybe you missed it.

I must have because you just said "Its not a religion".

I agree with you, it isn't a religion but this:

Obdicut posted:

No, they believe this because of an actual system of axioms, empirical observation, and a logical argument. You may think they're wrong, but it's not an irrational argument and it's not based on just believing. Have you ever read Marx?

is not a good description because you can replace Marx with The Bible/Koran/Dianetics.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

I must have because you just said "Its not a religion".

Nah, I didn't.

quote:

is not a good description because you can replace Marx with The Bible/Koran/Dianetics.

No, you can't. Those have revealed truth.

Seriously, dude, you don't understand falsification, or science, so why do you think you can figure any of this out? You need to actually understand science to talk about it, and you don't.

VitalSigns posted:

Also interesting, people compartmentalize, what someone's (non)religion is tells you pretty much nothing about whether they'll approach a given empirical or moral question rationally or not, you don't say.

For example, Ben Carson is super evidence-driven when it comes to brain surgery.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

Nah, I didn't.

No, you can't. Those have revealed truth.

Seriously, dude, you don't understand falsification, or science, so why do you think you can figure any of this out? You need to actually understand science to talk about it, and you don't.

For example, Ben Carson is super evidence-driven when it comes to brain surgery.

Obdicut posted:

You won't find proofs of that, because Marxism is not a religion. It may be treated as some as a religion. It is not a religion.

Yeah you kind of did man.
I agree with you that Marxism isn't a religion. Just because you really like something or ascribe to an ideology doesn't make it a religion. My point was more along the lines that what you said is the same thing a lot of religious people say. "The Bible is true because have you even read the Bible bro?!"

You need to stop being so ad hominem up in here. Ever since you came in the thread I feel like you've thrashed around and killed it :mad:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Anyone seen this?

So a geography teacher asks students to copy some Islamic calligraphy as part of homework. Everyone's parents :siren: poo poo THEMSELVES :siren: and all 23 schools are shut down in Augusta County, Virginia as a security precaution.

I am not making this up.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/18/us/virginia-school-shut-islam-homework/index.html

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Anyone seen this?

So a geography teacher asks students to copy some Islamic calligraphy as part of homework. Everyone's parents :siren: poo poo THEMSELVES :siren: and all 23 schools are shut down in Augusta County, Virginia as a security precaution.

I am not making this up.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/18/us/virginia-school-shut-islam-homework/index.html

"A developed country, #1 GDP in the world" :911:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

Yeah you kind of did man.
I agree with you that Marxism isn't a religion. Just because you really like something or ascribe to an ideology doesn't make it a religion. My point was more along the lines that what you said is the same thing a lot of religious people say. "The Bible is true because have you even read the Bible bro?!"

That doesn't bear the least resemblance to what I said. I didn't say Marxism was 'true', because it can't be true or not true.

quote:

You need to stop being so ad hominem up in here. Ever since you came in the thread I feel like you've thrashed around and killed it

I'm not saying your argument suck because you suck. I'm saying you suck because your arguments suck. The exact opposite of an ad hominem--again, you seem like you're mocking yourself.

Anyone seen this?

I am not making this up.

Holy poo poo.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

That doesn't bear the least resemblance to what I said. I didn't say Marxism was 'true', because it can't be true or not true.

I'm not saying your argument suck because you suck. I'm saying you suck because your arguments suck. The exact opposite of an ad hominem--again, you seem like you're mocking yourself.

Holy poo poo.

Everyone thinks my arguments are good and you're just being really aggressive. Its not good:(

Anyone seen this?

I am not making this up.

This is Islamophobia and is also retarded. YOU ESS AY YOU ESS AY

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Anyone seen this?

I am not making this up.

That is some next-level stupidity. Maybe we should stop debating the finer points of "are there some problems in Islam, and are they representative of religion or the society it exists in, etc.?" since it's more or less immaterial, and start discussing what to do about the very real Islamophobia that exists and is actively harming people as we speak. There's simply no excuse for something like this, regardless of whether you regard Islam as flawed or perfect.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

PT6A posted:

That is some next-level stupidity. Maybe we should stop debating the finer points of "are there some problems in Islam, and are they representative of religion or the society it exists in, etc.?" since it's more or less immaterial, and start discussing what to do about the very real Islamophobia that exists and is actively harming people as we speak. There's simply no excuse for something like this, regardless of whether you regard Islam as flawed or perfect.

I think speaking up in public is important, not so much for convincing Islamaphobes, but for stopping it from becoming the norm in everyday conversation.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Obdicut posted:

I think speaking up in public is important, not so much for convincing Islamaphobes, but for stopping it from becoming the norm in everyday conversation.

Agreed, but always check your area first. If there's an abundance of unnecessary camoflague in the fashion sense, or randomly throbbing forehead veins in the crowd? Might want to pick another day.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think Jastiger is haven't trouble over your use of the term 'revealed truth' - perhaps because he doesn't realise it's a term referring to supreme knowledge of a divine being.

The reason you can't replace 'Marx' with 'the Bible' is because Marx is a (dead) person and the Bible is a collection of teachings describing the Abrahamic god. Additionally you can't really even compare Das Kapital to the Bible because Das Kapital was a tome attempting to apply the scientific method to formulate sound economic theory. It was because of the difficulty combining empirical evidence (quantitative data) with sociological observation (qualitative data) that he pioneered (though not necessarily invented) the use of dialectical materialism.

More the point, Das Kapital is by no means an anti-capitalist work, it just states that the rate of profit would decline until the system became untenable. While the system has not yet become untenable, there has been an observed decline in the global rate of profit. Will he be proved right? Some people religiously agree, others cautiously observe.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Anyone seen this?

I am not making this up.

I think the asking them to copy 'there is no god but God and Mohammed is God's messenger' is a little problematic, but drat. What a stupid overreaction.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh, it was the shahada? I can see why people might be a liiittle worried about that given its prominence on Daesh's flag but yeesh, at least just talk to the teacher who set the homework.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It was definitely a stupid idea, given the current environment. I worry that the teacher is looking to make a statement about it all through this.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Talmonis posted:

It was definitely a stupid idea, given the current environment. I worry that the teacher is looking to make a statement about it all through this.

It'd be lovely if a teacher asked the students to copy out the lords prayer in French or something, too. Maybe it'll turn out this school used bible-based poo poo for a lot of stuff.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tesseraction posted:

Oh, it was the shahada? I can see why people might be a liiittle worried about that given its prominence on Daesh's flag but yeesh, at least just talk to the teacher who set the homework.

If anything, it was probably the Saudi flag version because that version doesn't look like it was copied out by a drunken three-year-old.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a facebook comment from that article posted:

"This is so WRONG! There is only ONE GOD and HIS NAME is JESUS!" one user posted.

That is also wrong, buddy. God is the God, Jesus is his son, Jesus only has has higher status via the Trinity, wherein he is part of God. God's name is YHWH anyway.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

I think Jastiger is haven't trouble over your use of the term 'revealed truth' - perhaps because he doesn't realise it's a term referring to supreme knowledge of a divine being.

The reason you can't replace 'Marx' with 'the Bible' is because Marx is a (dead) person and the Bible is a collection of teachings describing the Abrahamic god. Additionally you can't really even compare Das Kapital to the Bible because Das Kapital was a tome attempting to apply the scientific method to formulate sound economic theory. It was because of the difficulty combining empirical evidence (quantitative data) with sociological observation (qualitative data) that he pioneered (though not necessarily invented) the use of dialectical materialism.

More the point, Das Kapital is by no means an anti-capitalist work, it just states that the rate of profit would decline until the system became untenable. While the system has not yet become untenable, there has been an observed decline in the global rate of profit. Will he be proved right? Some people religiously agree, others cautiously observe.

No I DO understand that which is why I think his explanation was not very good. The Bible and Das Kapital are very different works, but the explanation of "read the book" because it has "scientific proofs in it" is used with the Bible all the time. See stuff like Answers in Genesis and Ray Comforts stuff. Thats what I was getting at.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

No I DO understand that which is why I think his explanation was not very good. The Bible and Das Kapital are very different works, but the explanation of "read the book" because it has "scientific proofs in it" is used with the Bible all the time.

It is trivially obvious when you read both works - or if you even read the basic background of the two works off Wikipedia - that Karl Marx applied a scientific methodology to attempting to understand the inner workings of the capitalist mode of production, whereas the Bible is a collection of oral histories from various peoples surrounding the Mediterranean. I don't know why you consider someone saying "read a book and make your own judgment on its veracity" to be such a bizarre statement; that's the absolute basis for proper scholarly inquiry.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I could understand being sceptical of "read the Bible cover-to-cover if you want to criticise it" defences of biblical validity, but there's very little proof you can provide that Das Kapital is more scientifically valid that doesn't fundamentally rely on the person having encountered the book in something more than just name.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

It is trivially obvious when you read both works - or if you even read the basic background of the two works off Wikipedia - that Karl Marx applied a scientific methodology to attempting to understand the inner workings of the capitalist mode of production, whereas the Bible is a collection of oral histories from various peoples surrounding the Mediterranean. I don't know why you consider someone saying "read a book and make your own judgment on its veracity" to be such a bizarre statement; that's the absolute basis for proper scholarly inquiry.

I agree that its obvious.

A ton of Christians and Muslims don't is what I was getting at, which ties back to my previous posts.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Jastiger posted:

No I DO understand that which is why I think his explanation was not very good. The Bible and Das Kapital are very different works, but the explanation of "read the book" because it has "scientific proofs in it" is used with the Bible all the time. See stuff like Answers in Genesis and Ray Comforts stuff. Thats what I was getting at.

"Sure, you may say radiotherapy can treat cancer, but some people say crystals cure cancer."

Yes, and?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I actually forgot, what was Jastiger's point?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It was more to the point that holy texts are a bad way to figure things out and that its a lot more difficult to say "read the book bro" when trying to suss out moral claims or find differences between something like The Bible and Das Kapital.

I agree, its obviously different between the two books. I was pointing out that it isn't obvious for everyone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Perhaps, but Das Kapital isn't a great place to learn neuroscience. Different books for different things.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tei posted:

Okay. But something I have learned in this thread is to ignore what the official text say and pay attention to what the actual practicers of a cult believe/do.

This isn't just true for religions and cults - it also applies to organizations, political parties and movements, and just about any other group organized enough to write things down about itself. Even if the group's beliefs and rules later change, it's often politically or procedurally impossible to change the founding texts and declarations, and therefore the group either changes its official interpretation of those words or mutually agrees to ignore the founding texts and stick to the informal, up-to-date rule lists instead. Also, sometimes the founding texts aren't realistic descriptions of the group's beliefs in the first place - for example, the Declaration of Independence was criticized almost from the very beginning for praising liberty and equality while colonists (including Jefferson himself) worked to preserve slavery and expel the Native Americans.

Surprisingly enough, the whole idea of the Bible as being exactly and literally true about everything is a relatively recent phenomenon, only a bit more than a century old. Catholicism has considered the Bible to be largely metaphorical and subject to varying interpretation for a long time, and most Christian traditions have been cautious of the fact that the Bible they know is most likely a translation of a translation of a translation. The idea of every single word of the Bible (as well as certain specific translations of the Bible) being literal and direct truth actually comes from the Evangelical movement in the late 19th century and the Fundamentalist movements in the early 20th century.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't just true for religions and cults - it also applies to organizations, political parties and movements, and just about any other group organized enough to write things down about itself. Even if the group's beliefs and rules later change, it's often politically or procedurally impossible to change the founding texts and declarations, and therefore the group either changes its official interpretation of those words or mutually agrees to ignore the founding texts and stick to the informal, up-to-date rule lists instead. Also, sometimes the founding texts aren't realistic descriptions of the group's beliefs in the first place - for example, the Declaration of Independence was criticized almost from the very beginning for praising liberty and equality while colonists (including Jefferson himself) worked to preserve slavery and expel the Native Americans.

Surprisingly enough, the whole idea of the Bible as being exactly and literally true about everything is a relatively recent phenomenon, only a bit more than a century old. Catholicism has considered the Bible to be largely metaphorical and subject to varying interpretation for a long time, and most Christian traditions have been cautious of the fact that the Bible they know is most likely a translation of a translation of a translation. The idea of every single word of the Bible (as well as certain specific translations of the Bible) being literal and direct truth actually comes from the Evangelical movement in the late 19th century and the Fundamentalist movements in the early 20th century.

I agree but with one caveat about your part about the historical interpretation: Certain parts have always been considered canonical and literally true, namely the existence of Jesus, Jesus being the son, and the existence of some form of trinity. A lot of the rest has risen and fallen, but its important to note that there has always been (and almost has to be) a literal interpretation of religious texts. The difference in sects is often not so much interpretation but rather how much you consider to be literal. More a sliding scale than a modular choice.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

I agree but with one caveat about your part about the historical interpretation: Certain parts have always been considered canonical and literally true, namely Jesus being the son, and the existence of some form of trinity.

Congrats on actually naming the first highly contentious issues in Christianity that spawned tons of argument and actual schism. There are also lots and lots of non-trinitarian Christians.

Maybe some day you could learn about a subject instead of theorizing about it. That'd be a hoot.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

Congrats on actually naming the first highly contentious issues in Christianity that spawned tons of argument and actual schism. There are also lots and lots of non-trinitarian Christians.

Maybe some day you could learn about a subject instead of theorizing about it. That'd be a hoot.

I never said there weren't. But its one of the most basic tenets of the faith for a large swath of the population.

Grats on finding SOMETHING to pick a fight about though, Obdicut.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Jastiger posted:

I agree but with one caveat about your part about the historical interpretation: Certain parts have always been considered canonical and literally true, namely the existence of Jesus, Jesus being the son, and the existence of some form of trinity. A lot of the rest has risen and fallen, but its important to note that there has always been (and almost has to be) a literal interpretation of religious texts. The difference in sects is often not so much interpretation but rather how much you consider to be literal. More a sliding scale than a modular choice.

Do you mean that all religions will interpret some part of their holy text literally or that all holy texts have some religion that will interpret some of it literally?

Either way, why does that have to be true? Or are you saying it's just inductively true based on observed religions?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jastiger posted:

I never said there weren't. But its one of the most basic tenets of the faith for a large swath of the population.

Grats on finding SOMETHING to pick a fight about though, Obdicut.

The statement you made was objectively wrong in every way.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

I never said there weren't.

Yes, you did:

Jastiger posted:

Certain parts have always been considered canonical and literally true, namely the existence of Jesus, Jesus being the son, and the existence of some form of trinity.

It has not always be considered canonically and literally true that Jesus was the son, nor that a trinity existed.

And for god's sake (hah) stop whining.

Edit: oh yeah and the difference between sects is really obviously highly about interpretation, you were super wrong about that part too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

I mean, I want to write more to this reply but I'd just be rehashing that article. I mean half the point of Jehovah's Witnesses is that there is only Jehovah.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lame Devil posted:

Do you mean that all religions will interpret some part of their holy text literally or that all holy texts have some religion that will interpret some of it literally?

Either way, why does that have to be true? Or are you saying it's just inductively true based on observed religions?

Both?

Nevvy Z posted:

The statement you made was objectively wrong in every way.

I'm not convinced it was. Jesus is the crux of Christianity, no? Most believe he's the son of god. A lesser, but still significant amount recognize the Trinity and handle it in some way.

Obdicut posted:

Yes, you did:

It has not always be considered canonically and literally true that Jesus was the son, nor that a trinity existed.

And for god's sake (hah) stop whining.

I disagree. without Jesus being divine there is no Christianity. There are sects that place different importance on this, especially when looking at John, Matt, Paul, and Luke. But each one considers Jesus central to the faith. I didn't think that this is really contentious. Same with the holy spirit.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

The Ecclesia minor or Minor Reformed Church of Poland, better known today as the Polish Brethren, was born as the result of a controversy that started on January 22, 1556, when Piotr of Goniądz (Peter Gonesius), a Polish student, spoke out against the doctrine of the Trinity during the general synod of the Reformed (Calvinist) churches of Poland held in the village of Secemin.[27] After nine years of debate, in 1565, the anti-Trinitarians were excluded from the existing synod of the Polish Reformed Church (henceforth the Ecclesia maior) and they began to hold their own synods as the Ecclesia minor. Though frequently called "Arians" by those on the outside, the views of Fausto Sozzini became the standard in the church, and these doctrines were quite removed from Arianism. So important was Sozzini to the formulation of their beliefs that those outside Poland usually referred to them as Socinians. The Polish Brethren were disbanded in 1658 by the Sejm (Polish Parliament). They were ordered to convert to Roman Catholicism or leave Poland. Most of them went to Transylvania or Holland, where they embraced the name "Unitarian." Sozzini's grandson Andrzej Wiszowaty Sr. in 1665–1668 published Bibliotheca Fratrum Polonorum quos Unitarios vocant (Library of the Polish Brethren who are called Unitarians 4 vols. 1665–69).

The Unitarian Church in Transylvania was first recognized by the Edict of Torda, issued by the Transylvanian Diet under Prince John II Sigismund Zápolya (January 1568),[28] and was first led by Ferenc Dávid (a former Calvinist bishop, who had begun preaching the new doctrine in 1566). The term "Unitarian" first appeared as unitaria religio in a document of the Diet of Lécfalva, Transylvania, on 25 October 1600, though it was not widely used in Transylvania until 1638, when the formal recepta Unitaria Religio was published.

The word Unitarian had been circulating in private letters in England, in reference to imported copies of such publications as the Library of the Polish Brethren who are called Unitarians (1665). Henry Hedworth was the first to use the word "Unitarian" in print in English (1673), and the word first appears in a title in Stephen Nye's A brief history of the Unitarians, called also Socinians (1687). The movement gained popularity in England in the wake of the Enlightenment and began to become a formal denomination in 1774 when Theophilus Lindsey organised meetings with Joseph Priestley, founding the first avowedly Unitarian congregation in the country, at Essex Street Church in London.

The first official acceptance of the Unitarian faith on the part of a congregation in America was by King's Chapel in Boston, which settled James Freeman (1759–1835) in 1782, and revised the Prayer Book into a mild Unitarian liturgy in 1785. In 1800, Joseph Stevens Buckminster became minister of the Brattle Street Church in Boston, where his brilliant sermons, literary activities, and academic attention to the German "New Criticism" helped shape the subsequent growth of Unitarianism in New England. Unitarian Henry Ware (1764–1845) was appointed as the Hollis professor of divinity at Harvard College, in 1805. Harvard Divinity School then shifted from its conservative roots to teach Unitarian theology (see Harvard and Unitarianism). Buckminster's close associate William Ellery Channing (1780–1842) was settled over the Federal Street Church in Boston, 1803, and in a few years he became the leader of the Unitarian movement. A theological battle with the Congregational Churches resulted in the formation of the American Unitarian Association at Boston in 1825.

This is important, namely that its ~600 years after what I'm referring to. It wasn't until much debate, reinterpretation, and a whole slew of factors that this came about. They also use the same documents to justify their beliefs as true.

Its like saying expansion teams like the Panthers in the NFL are around so CLEARLY football wasn't always played on a flat turf. I'm saying obviously there are additions and revisions, but there are some pieces of the puzzle that were considered canon-and changed later.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jastiger posted:

Both?

I disagree. without Jesus being divine there is no Christianity. There are sects that place different importance on this, especially when looking at John, Matt, Paul, and Luke. But each one considers Jesus central to the faith. I didn't think that this is really contentious. Same with the holy spirit.

Jesus being the son and jesus being divine are different things entirely. The nature of the trinity was hotly debated, with a ton of early church people being Arianists. You know gently caress-all about the subject. You must know, on some level, that you're completely ignorant about this. So what would drive you to start talking about it? Humiliation fetish?

Also, Jehovah's witnesses and Christian Scientists are both non-trinitarian, you rube.

quote:

I'm saying obviously there are additions and revisions, but there are some pieces of the puzzle that were considered canon-and changed later.

Oh you must think this guy was a real idiot then:

quote:

Certain parts have always been considered canonical and literally true,

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

They aren't central to the faith, they're central to the specific groups you're focusing on while ignoring the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

Jesus being the son and jesus being divine are different things entirely. The nature of the trinity was hotly debated, with a ton of early church people being Arianists. You know gently caress-all about the subject. You must know, on some level, that you're completely ignorant about this. So what would drive you to start talking about it? Humiliation fetish?

Also, Jehovah's witnesses and Christian Scientists are both non-trinitarian, you rube.

Right and they came later after the traditional interpretation was normalized in historical churches. I'm not saying that every sect believes the same thing, I'm saying the original foundation of Christianity as we know it in broad terms relies on Jesus and certain aspects of Jesus, namely the son, divinity, and the trinity.

A lot of these sects that I'm referring to as what we can call "mainline Protestantism" don't consider say, Jehovah's or Mormons or Christian Scientists Christian and its a real rats nest because those groups DO consider themselves Christian.

My point isn't that its always been true for ALL sects but that its been true for the traditional sects that help define why the other sects are different.

• Locked thread