Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Putting aside the fact that hating refugees and minorities that are considered 'other' has been a tragic tradition in the United States for centuries, ( see the laws passed against Chinese at the turn of the 20th century for example) the reason why it's still possible for this kind of old fashioned hatred to occur is due to the fact that Islam and Muslims ( more specifically Arabs who happen to be Muslim) have been targeted to an incredible degree In Blatantly racist and demoning propaganda from the media industries in the west ( especially Hollywood) for decades without any kind of blowback or reprimand that would have happened had they targeted others like for example African Americans or Asians, or even at one point Jews. The thing that is so dangerous about racist propaganda and demonising depictions in popular culture is that their poison seeps in slowly, given enough time enough people are going to have that poison inform their world views of their fellow citizens and if that racist trash isn't put under control or punished, sooner or later someone out of that pool of ignorance and hate is going to be someone who can actually make decisions in the country, in a country where popular opinion matters, that's an extremely dangerous position to be in if the masses are filled horseshit poison and hate.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, It took DECADES for European anti Semitism, through uncontrolled fairy tales and racist trash being shoveled and insemenated into popular media, to build up to a point where hitler can have a willing audience for his monstrosity. When Americans are shoveled poo poo by Hollywood and the mass media for decades about a religion being portrayed as their literal enemy for decades, MUCH more than other flavor of the week foes, then you have a situation where you can find an audience for this insanity, because unlike other races and creeds, hating Muslims and being racist towards them is popularly accepted, what you're seeing today is the natural conclusion of having that insanity go unabated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It's really amazing seeing people recycle the same horseshit racial and ethic hatred over and over, it's the biggest damnation of the information and social networking age that even in 2015 people can relive 1800's anti-Chinese/irish/whatever, 1930's anti-Semitism, 1950's Racism, cold war anti-Russian, and the cycle keeps repeating. I will say this and I will keep repeating it, the current climate of hate and insanity against american citizens who's chosen faith is islam in the US has been aided and abetted by unrestrained propagation of the media and entertainment industry against arabs and muslims in general. What we're seeing today Is the natural result of decades of political propagation and agenda driven targeting of muslims by the news cycles and Hollywood, who have gotten away with things they could've never gotten away with had their targets been African American or American jews.

It's really unbelievable that a political frontrunner can spout what he's spouting in 2015 and not be immediately put away as a dangerous throwback, the fact that there's even a DEBATE is a huge political setback for the united states as a functional society.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

An Enormous Boner posted:

I mean you'd have to shoot up a fuckload of abortion clinics to make it as easy to get comparably mad at Christians.

edit: I also know this has nothing really to do with domestic terrorism here I don't think there's any problem in the States, it's just that I think it's silly to pretend like you can just as easily make Christian Terrorists or whoever look as bad right now considering

It's really cute how how you cite statistics of how areas where there has been an ongoing socio-political implosion and disarray that's been going on for decades has violence in them, what a shock. Let me guess its not due to any geopolitical goings on or anything nuanced like that. These are also areas where I assure you western and eastern governments have had much bigger death counts under their belts either directly or indirectly through their proxies) is this proof that American Muslims should be eyed with suspicion?

Also Helsing please don't waste your time with Liberal_L33t, he's a psycho who actually believes in military fascism, thinks denying democracy to entire people's in the Middle East is a good thing and has no problems with mass murder against innocent people because 'Muslims'. Someone without even a baseline of belief in human rights isn't worth your time.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 11, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Also, I'd love to hear how criticising the religion of Islam (I mean the actual religion, not what's going on in conflict zones you don't have any clue about) justifies in any conceivable way making American Muslims targets of mass hatred, discrimination and racism, and how that prevents people from standing up for their fellow citizens.

• Locked thread