Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

For as much as conservatives love to masturbate and self-fellate over constitutional rights, I don't see many people standing up for the first amendment in this case.

Funny, that.

It is their right to say this horrible poo poo, but it is also everyone's right and duty to call them out on the racist, hate speech. Nobody does that second part except on the internet or to their cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I suspect that in context Dunkle may be talking about the freedom of religion clause.

Ah crap. I always forget those two biggies are actually one amendment. Change racist, hate speech to religious intolerance then.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Supreme Court nominees is what everyone will tell you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Woolie Wool posted:

Christianity and Judaism have both had systems of religious law and managed to secularize eventually, believing Islam can't despite being very similar to its Abrahamic predecessors is just dumb. Political Islam is political, it's driven by political forces and the solution must be political too. For the most part it didn't even exist until after World War II.

Are you saying Christianity and Judaism are no longer politicized? Have you ever been to a church? :psyduck:

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 26, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Woolie Wool posted:

We no longer have Christian or Jewish theocratic governments (please don't let Ben Carson with the election :ohdear:) and most Christian-majority countries put some amount of effort into keeping Jesus out of government. Several hundred years ago, most of Christendom lived under Catholic canon law, which is basically the same poo poo as sharia in a different wrapper. Muslim-majority countries at one point were largely secular, until repeated American and Soviet political fuckery pretty much made radical Islam the only viable ideology left after the superpowers co-opted, corrupted, or destroyed all others. Iran had a bona fide democracy until the US rewarded them for their bold democratic experiment by overthrowing it and installing their pet tyrant in its place.

Political Islam has nothing to do with Islam being "incompatible with secularism" or other such nonsense, it is a condition that was created only a few decades ago and could go away if the West stopped constantly inflaming it. If Christians and Jews can live under democracy, so can Muslims, the religions are not really all that different.

I may have misread your post. Thought you meant Christianity and Judaism were not politicized when they are. I agree with you for the most part, but do think that Israel and the USA while not outright theocratic governments are heavily influenced by Christianity and Judaism in dangerous ways.

I do not disagree that Muslims can live under democracy. The evolving secularization of Islam was set back decades by the US and Russia loving around. Some of it can even be traced back to the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the subsequent craving up and genocides.

• Locked thread