Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RACHET posted:

I don't want to "trigger" you or anything.

The fact that you put that word in scare quotes seems to imply you think people being idiots on Tumblr means that PTSD doesn't exist. Pretty cold of you to take the valiant effort of the veterans who fought for your right to have free speech and make a mockery of their scars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Squalid posted:

I think we in the west need to ask ourselves how we ended up in a discursive environment where politicians want to be seen condemning Islam*, why we pass unnecessary legislation banning nonexistent sharia courts**, why we have to tell Muslim women what they can and cannot wear***, or tell Muslims where they can or cannot build Mosques****.

I wonder why so many people feel the need to come into threads like this oh-so-eager to tell us all about how terrible Islam is*****, I want to know why on November 20 Bill Maher was conflating Islam with the separate traditions of FGM and honor killing when even the most superficial investigation would have disproved the link******. I want to know why posters like Average Bear, who clearly had no idea what religious arbitration is, felt the need to condemn it*******.

When did this fear and hate creep into my country? Where did people like my dad get the idea that Muslims are encouraged to lie and cheat unbelievers, and how did he come to believe it so strongly that he refused to buy a used car from a man with an Arabic sounding name? That was an instance of prejudice, and its wasn't the only one committed against Muslims in America.

We need a plan to reverse the creeping bigotry.

*,**,***,****,*****,******,******* : racism

The plan is, unfortunately, not going to succeed in the short-term, and even the long-term solution is years of attempting to subvert national (and international) propaganda that states that Muslims are evil. The long-term solution might not work either depending on how geopolitics and the media evolve in the 21st century. Without intending to say the situation is hopeless, we're certainly at a low point in combating these views.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"if" being the key word.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Remind me, what was the justification given by bin Laden for that attack? Do you remember?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baloogan posted:

I don't pay attention to terrorists. Aside from cheering when they die.

And this very outlook is why you'll continue to cause the deaths of innocents worldwide.

Try and answer my question again. Take a wild guess.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I didn't want to bring it up but Baloogan has been previously probated for accusing the mods of anti-Semitism (on shaky grounds). It's likely he's being ironic with posts like that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

Al Qaeda's declaration of war against the United States was explicitly grounded in Islamic religious tradition, specifically a hadith in which the Prophet supposedly banned infidels from the Arabian Peninsula. The stationing of American troops in Saudi Arabia was seen as a violation by the Saudi monarchy of that religious duty.

But since the real answer makes you look like foolish, I'm guessing you had a different (and incorrect) answer in mind.

Yes, if by 'different (and incorrect)' you mean exactly what bin Laden himself literally wrote. While he does indeed mention American military bases in Saudi Arabia defiling the sanctuary of the place, he also lists many other reasons, most of them referring to American imperialism (with heavy doses of anti-Semitism abound) starting first and foremost with the Israel/Palestine situation and America's contributions to that. He also cites the oil price and America's immunity from punishment for war crimes, amongst other things.

More to the point, plenty of Islamic scholars say such a Hadith is apocryphal as it directly contradicts Muhammed's actions in life, and even more to the point, it was supposedly spoken by Muhammed on his death bed, but Abu Bakr, despite doing everything else Muhammed had preached in life, did nothing to expel non-Muslims from the Arabian Peninsula, and in fact renegotiated treaties with non-Muslims.

Also more comically you say the Saudi monarchy saw the American troops as a problem when in fact an extremist scholar, bin Baz, who believed that same Hadith you quoted was jailed by the Saudi King for issuing a Fatwa enforcing it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baloogan posted:

You are pretty dedicated to spreading the word of a terrorist. You know, spreading terrorist propaganda makes you a terrorist in a way.

Everyone knows the way to solve a problem is to murder random unrelated civilians, so why haven't we stopped Islamist terrorism by bombing Medicins Sans Frontiers?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"i have sympathy for young british muslims who leave the UK to join syrian fighters" is not nearly the same question as "i have sympathy for ISIS fighters". please be honest

Kajeesus posted:

Did you read the text immediately following that which noted that 1/6 UK residents have some degree of sympathy for "ISIS fighters"? It's curious how that seems to have escaped your notice.

Bear in mind that 'having sympathy' does not mean agreeing with their views, it can mean 'to feel sorry for' - as in, 'to pity.'

The question is too vague to be meaningful.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

1. I tend not to view Muslims as being necessarily "people who practice Islam". In the same way there are plenty of atheist, agnostic and non-practicing Jews or Christians, there are also atheist, agnostic, and non-practicing Muslims.

Muslim and Islam are the same word in different tenses. Think how suis and être are pretty different on first glance.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Moxie posted:

Holy poo poo at this dude's implication, what a loving crazy rear end in a top hat. I mean there's no way that he's sincere, right? So therefore he thinks it's a good idea to direct outrage for mass murders towards the President and gun control? I mean what .... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Welcome to the reality of Islamophobia.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good on yer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Fox News is bullshit for reactionary morons?

It's almost as if Islamophobia is a particular strain of reactionary political thought.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's how I plan to spend my Friday night!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

My argument is that it isn't Islamophobia to criticize religions, even Islam, because the ancient traditions, myths, superstitions are garbage and untrue.

This is true, but the problem is Christian theocrats in places like America who at the same time denounce 'radical Islam' - Ted Cruz was at a Christian event where the host was calling for the execution of all gay people in the United States, and yet he turns around and declares that Islam is the biggest threat to America's values. There's a disconnect there, and it's from a phobia of Muslims being 'not Christian', not a criticism of their religiosity. You do not see the same fear of Jewish Americans (outside of the neo-Nazi circles, of which I admit the GOP has some overlap).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Christians are A-OK mocking Scientologists, but Islam or Mormonism (though less so) is somehow moral and noble.

Yes, a Christian has never, ever done something disparaging about Islam.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Its no surprise that the ideas religions espouse have become cultural norms over time.

And yet, religions change according to region. Some Christians perform FGM as a religious duty even though it has nothing to do with the Bible texts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I don't agree that all morality is unfalsifiable. It can't be put under a microscope, but you can measure the results of moral actions.

What are the units of morality one can measure these actions in?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

computer parts posted:

They don't worship the superhuman controlling force any more than scientists worship the superhuman controlling force of gravity.

Not to mention there's Jainism who primarily believe in morality above all, and perform said morality by non-violence towards all living things, on a hierarchy of harms that allow them to harm plants only if directly for sustenance.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Please google Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science.

All of these are antipositivist subjects. They are not empirically falsifiable at all. It may be you who needs to Google them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Perhaps I should back off from what I said about falsifiable moral claims. Perhaps I should say moral behaviors and their effects.

For example if one said: "It is moral to treat men as equal to women but then I don't think women should vote" would be a way to falsify my claim that men and women are equal.

Is that person who doesn't think they should vote enforcing a moratorium on them voting, or is it merely a personally held belief? What if the women were like Phyllis Schlafly, evil incarnate?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tei posted:

It was a economic disaster. By volunteering getting rid of a large part of the population, big parts of the country ended neglected and whole industries destroyed.

I for one am shocked that the mass displacement of people didn't end with a land of sunshine and rainbows.

Luckily we've learned our lesson from th- oh Donald Trump's still leading the polls? Never mind.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think Jastiger is haven't trouble over your use of the term 'revealed truth' - perhaps because he doesn't realise it's a term referring to supreme knowledge of a divine being.

The reason you can't replace 'Marx' with 'the Bible' is because Marx is a (dead) person and the Bible is a collection of teachings describing the Abrahamic god. Additionally you can't really even compare Das Kapital to the Bible because Das Kapital was a tome attempting to apply the scientific method to formulate sound economic theory. It was because of the difficulty combining empirical evidence (quantitative data) with sociological observation (qualitative data) that he pioneered (though not necessarily invented) the use of dialectical materialism.

More the point, Das Kapital is by no means an anti-capitalist work, it just states that the rate of profit would decline until the system became untenable. While the system has not yet become untenable, there has been an observed decline in the global rate of profit. Will he be proved right? Some people religiously agree, others cautiously observe.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh, it was the shahada? I can see why people might be a liiittle worried about that given its prominence on Daesh's flag but yeesh, at least just talk to the teacher who set the homework.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a facebook comment from that article posted:

"This is so WRONG! There is only ONE GOD and HIS NAME is JESUS!" one user posted.

That is also wrong, buddy. God is the God, Jesus is his son, Jesus only has has higher status via the Trinity, wherein he is part of God. God's name is YHWH anyway.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I could understand being sceptical of "read the Bible cover-to-cover if you want to criticise it" defences of biblical validity, but there's very little proof you can provide that Das Kapital is more scientifically valid that doesn't fundamentally rely on the person having encountered the book in something more than just name.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I actually forgot, what was Jastiger's point?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Perhaps, but Das Kapital isn't a great place to learn neuroscience. Different books for different things.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I agree but with one caveat about your part about the historical interpretation: Certain parts have always been considered canonical and literally true, namely the existence of Jesus, Jesus being the son, and the existence of some form of trinity. A lot of the rest has risen and fallen, but its important to note that there has always been (and almost has to be) a literal interpretation of religious texts. The difference in sects is often not so much interpretation but rather how much you consider to be literal. More a sliding scale than a modular choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

I mean, I want to write more to this reply but I'd just be rehashing that article. I mean half the point of Jehovah's Witnesses is that there is only Jehovah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I disagree. without Jesus being divine there is no Christianity. There are sects that place different importance on this, especially when looking at John, Matt, Paul, and Luke. But each one considers Jesus central to the faith. I didn't think that this is really contentious. Same with the holy spirit.

They aren't central to the faith, they're central to the specific groups you're focusing on while ignoring the others.

• Locked thread