Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Christianity and Judaism have both had systems of religious law and managed to secularize eventually, believing Islam can't despite being very similar to its Abrahamic predecessors is just dumb. Political Islam is political, it's driven by political forces and the solution must be political too. For the most part it didn't even exist until after World War II.

Then holy poo poo are we gonna have to wait a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Maybe only certain "types," with certain "credentials," get to have moral authority.

Is the cognitive dissonance getting strong enough yet? We're talking about an insane repressive God-ordained system.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

SedanChair posted:

That approach was played out when homophobes complained about being called homophobes. And if you're trying to say that people who complain about Islam aren't utterly terrified of it: :lol:

Homosexual Extremists

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

Why can we have alternative secular tribunals but not religious ones? Obviously everyone who opposes sharia courts must want to do away with binding arbitration and other forms of ADR right? Or is there something about sharia tribunals in particular that they don't like? Hmm.

Are those things "God said so"-based?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

SedanChair posted:

After the "new atheists," I think I super can say that there is no correlation between religion and conservative or reactionary ideologies.

Lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

INH5 posted:

The Paris attacks were retaliation for France bombing ISIS, as well as supporting non-ISIS Syrian rebel groups for years (yes, ISIS's claim of responsibility mentioned that Paris was "a center of fornication and prostitution," but if that was their real grievance, they would have attacked Amsterdam).

In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent

Allah (ta'ala) said, They thought that their fortresses would protect them from Allah but Allah came upon them from where they had not expected, and He cast terror into their hearts so they destroyed their houses by their own hands and the hands of the believers. So take warning, O people of vision [Al-Hashr:2].

In a blessed battle whose causes of success were enabled by Allah, a group of believers from the soldiers of the Caliphate (may Allah strengthen and support it) set out targeting the capital of prostitution and vice, the lead carrier of the cross in Europe — Paris. This group of believers were youth who divorced the worldly life and advanced towards their enemy hoping to be killed for Allah's sake, doing so in support of His religion, His Prophet (blessing and peace be upon him), and His allies. They did so in spite of His enemies. Thus, they were truthful with Allah — we consider them so — and Allah granted victory upon their hands and cast terror into the hearts of the crusaders in their very own homeland.

And so eight brothers equipped with explosive belts and assault rifles attacked precisely chosen targets in the center of the capital of France. These targets included the Stade de France stadium during a soccer match — between the teams of Germany and France, both of which are crusader nations — attended by the imbecile of France (Francois Hollande). The targets included the Bataclan theatre for exhibitions, where hundreds of pagans gathered for a concert of prostitution and vice. There were also simultaneous attacks on other targets in the tenth, eleventh, and eighteenth districts, and elsewhere. Paris was thereby shaken beneath the crusaders' feet, who were constricted by its streets. The result of the attacks was the deaths of no less than two hundred crusaders and the wounding of even more. All praise, grace, and favor belong to Allah.

Allah blessed our brothers and granted them what they desired. They detonated their explosive belts in the masses of the disbelievers after finishing all their ammunition. We ask Allah to accept them amongst the martyrs and to allow us to follow them.

Let France and all nations following its path know that they will continue to be at the top of the target list for the Islamic State and that the scent of death will not leave their nostrils as long as they partake in the crusader campaign, as long as they dare to curse our Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him), and as long as they boast about their war against Islam in France and their strikes against Muslims in the lands of the Caliphate with their jets, which were of no avail to them in the filthy streets and alleys of Paris. Indeed, this is just the beginning. It is also a warning for any who wish to take heed.

Allah is the greatest.

(And to Allah belongs all honor, and to His Messenger, and to the believers, but the hypocrites do not know) [Al-Munafiqun: 8].

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Well, it looks like the person you're quoting accurately summed up the reasons for that attack, which I've helpfully bolded for clarity.

lmao

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Good luck on your holy crusade against Islam.

It's not my holy crusade you need to be worried about. Then again you don't seem to be good at recognizing when people are on one.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

*rereads the statement, even the bolded part explicitly stating if you say Muhammed wrong we'll shoot you in the head* Yeah it's all about military action

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Effectronica posted:

I find it far more plausible that people like you will lynch American Muslims than that American Muslims will start any sort of mass-murder campaign, because I have a soul, and know that belief in Islam doesn't destroy your brain.

What the hell is wrong with you?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Effectronica posted:

You're accusing Muslims of wanting to commit violence against people, and yet it's not OK for people to turn that around against you. That seems fairly absurd.

I'm accusing the organization that planned and executed the attacks in France of wanting to commit violence against people, yes. I'm also saying it's largely because of their extreme religious beliefs, which they have explicitly and repeatedly explained.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Effectronica posted:

No, you're not. You've been accusing Islam in general, throughout this thread. You're arguing that this is because of religion. Necessarily, this means that all Muslims are suspect.

Meanwhile, your interpretation, where the French intervention in Syria is irrelevant for this Syria-based organization, which is itself incapable of propaganda (presumably because they're religious and thus stupid), is plain ridiculous.

Now you're going to start screaming about how I'm defending ISIS, in all probability.

We're talking about allusions made within a sub-section of a single sentence in ISIS's statement. It's very important, yes, but there's other stuff there and it's also significant. I mean there's stuff in the same sentence, even, that isn't just about France in Syria.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

Also that, except for a specific subset of Muslim women (the ones who wear hijab), there's no such thing as "Islamic" clothing. I'm guessing the vast, vast majority of Muslims in the US dress in the exact same manner as anyone else.

Except for Islamic clothing, there is no Islamic clothing.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Helsing posted:

you could make just about any group look terrible by simply reporting all the stuff they do repeatedly.

Global Terrorism Index Report 2014, Institute for Economics and Peace

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I mean you'd have to shoot up a fuckload of abortion clinics to make it as easy to get comparably mad at Christians.

edit: I also know this has nothing really to do with domestic terrorism here I don't think there's any problem in the States, it's just that I think it's silly to pretend like you can just as easily make Christian Terrorists or whoever look as bad right now considering

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 11, 2015

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

It's really cute how how you cite statistics of how areas where there has been an ongoing socio-political implosion and disarray that's been going on for decades has violence in them, what a shock. Let me guess its not due to any geopolitical goings on or anything nuanced like that. These are also areas where I assure you western and eastern governments have had much bigger death counts under their belts either directly or indirectly through their proxies)

Does that somehow make them not terrorist acts perpetrated by Islamist groups? Do they not count?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

You're right, there's obviously no racism against Muslim men nor against Muslim women who don't wear hijab. Trump's call was to ban all hijab-wearers only, right?

My point was that you should have just kept the second sentence in the post I was responding to and dropped the first.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 11, 2015

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I think trying to say who is and isn't a "real" member of a religious group is a losing exercise, and it only gets more and more absurd as you approach denying or at least minimizing the religious conviction of someone who literally blows themselves and others up over it.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

gay marriage is extremely controversial across the islamic world, unlike in the united states or russia

Do you exist in reality? Same-sex marriage is legal in the United States and supported by a large majority of the population. You can still be put to death for homosexual activity in 7 Muslim-majority countries, and it's illegal in most of them.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

That's nice, but the content of the article doesn't exactly inspire hope.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

But how do you account for variables like: homosexuality is very illegal in India and Christian sub-Saharan Africa, the authorities tolerate extra-judicial mob killings of gays, etc. In the world's most populous Muslim majority country, homosexuality is legal.

I don't. I was reacting to Thug Drink's comparison between the US, Russia, and the Muslim world. If you're gay, you probably want to be in the United States, where the controversy is lukewarm and functionally unimportant, relatively speaking. I am having a hard time understanding why this is an issue, but I will keep trying to figure it out.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

computer parts posted:

I think the issue is you failing to address Russia, even when you literally mention it in your post.

I hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Everything is the same as everything else; everything has already happened. Nothing can be distinguished from the next.

• Locked thread