Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
While the title of this thread is "Islamophobia", it seems that the OP and several of the replies are very much focused on the US. Do you all want me to change the thread name to "Islamophobia in the US", in order to help newcomers realize this focus, or would you rather the discussion were more general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Orthodox Judaism requires three daily prayers. Of men, at least.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The pattern I am seeing here is people expressing distrust of Islam but having a very limited understanding of it and using this to rationalize a hatred of people who "look Muslim" (i.e. Arab/South Asian, or having types of dress associated with North African/South Asian regions). It seems like a coherent enough pattern of bigotry to be eligible for an individual moniker, and "Islamophobia" is good enough.

Much like it is pointless to reject "antisemitism" as a moniker due to it not referring to a hatred of all semitic people, I don't think it's useful to reject "Islamophobia" just because there are legitimate grounds for criticizing Islam as a faith.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

The fact that rabbinical courts (the Jewish authority on Jewishness in Israel) have literally revoked people's Jewishness due to non-observance is a pretty good indication that unobservant Jews are considered non-Jewish by Jewish authorities.

No, it doesn't. It means that they are suspicious of Jews who have converted and judge them by a higher standard. Good luck convincing the Rabbinical court that, being unobservant, you are not a real Jew if you're a natural-born Jewish couple going through divorce in Israel. You will not get very far, and I have known many unobservant couples who have undergone this ridiculous, humiliating ritual.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Talmonis posted:

Bill Maher and Dick Dorkins are both representative of the New Atheist movement, and are both extremely Islamophobic and sexist. Clearly New Atheism is a toxic ideology that must be expunged from society.

I get the sense that you are being ironic/sarcastic, but this argument is often made, both online and in the real world.

• Locked thread