Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wheeee posted:

It's not Islamophobia if they're really out to get you.

Fortunately, practically all of them are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr Hootington posted:

It is their right to say this horrible poo poo, but it is also everyone's right and duty to call them out on the racist, hate speech. Nobody does that second part except on the internet or to their cat.

I suspect that in context Dunkle may be talking about the freedom of religion clause.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Morroque posted:

I suppose this is the best place as ever to ask what might be a deceptively stupid question: why exactly is it that ISIS is so hated in the first place? Like, the actual reason as far as political motivations go? So much of what I am hearing about how terrible ISIS is supposed to be is coming from people with no actual link to the region and don't have much to go off of aside from Islamophobia. It's just taken for granted that ISIS is so bad and so terrible, but I feel like I must've missed the reason why, especially when ISIS is compared to other groups like Boko Haram or even Assad.

I can't shake it... Is the reason that the only real reason the West got publicly involved with ISIS, in the sense that everyone in the media continues to talk about ISIS, is because they released those propaganda videos featuring the executions that one time. The ones gorn ones reportedly posted to people's Facebook walls or something. That creeping feeling that this might be the first action of geopolitical consequence that happened all because of some Internet trolling. ... am I wrong?

Fade5 and Brown Moses could cover this better, but ISIS is an expansionist extremist alleged-Caliphate (all of which kind of goes hand in hand) with a very good handle on modern social media and absolutely no compunctions about killing a whole lot of people for being members of groups they don't like, and doing it on camera.

If "that one time" is all you're familiar with, then congratulations - you've missed a few hundred of their postings, and a bunch of other coverage of mass graves in eg the retaken Yazidi villages.

As far as why the West is involved: partly the above, particularly the part where they had a solid go at exterminating the Yazidis and were making some very worrying advances into Syrian and Iraqi Kurdistan. Partly the expansionist part of the above, where they're gonna be real inconvenient forever if they continue to exist, in ways that your average Salafist theocracy would not necessarily be. Partly that they're the one entity in the Syrian/Iraqi clusterfuck that has no real overt backing from anyone of importance.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Morroque posted:

In some ways I was hoping I was wrong, but in another way I'm still not entirely convinced. It feels like there is this odd disconnect between what a real group on the ground in Syria and Iraq are doing, versus how figures in the western media are all talking about and promoting involvement in the war. I must have heard seen/heard the word "ISIS" more times than I would've liked in the last few months, but this is the first I've ever heard about the Yazidi.

I worry that I'm just imagining this, but of so much regarding what I hear about ISIS, I can't tell what is actual information versus what might just be veiled islamophobia or propaganda serving another purpose entirely.

They literally release a ton of their own videos, to the point where it's a major interesting aspect of their war and recruitment efforts. They're helping make this one of the most-documented wars in history. Heck, have a nice read of their Dabiq magazine, which they helpfully translate into English. There's a particularly great article in issue 9, where they make an explicit and active defense of the sexual slavery of Yazidi girls/women, because 1) if they're being raped by ISIS soldiers they might convert to Islam, which is a noble effort, and 2) at least it reduces ISIS use of prostitutes. No, I am not kidding on either count. The article starts on page 44, here's a convenient link and some very short quotes.

https://azelin.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/the-islamic-state-e2809cdc481biq-magazine-9e280b3.pdf

ISIS posted:

The right hand’s possession (mulk al-yamīn) are
the female captives who were separated from
their husbands by enslavement. They became
lawful for the one who ends up possessing them
even without pronouncement of divorce by their
harbī husbands.

Indeed, from the slave-girls are those that after
saby turned into hard-working, diligent seekers
of knowledge after she found in Islam what
she couldn’t find in kufr, despite the slogans of
“freedom” and “equality.” Indeed it is our pure
Islam, which upraises every lowly-one and puts an
end to every deficiency.

Are slave-girls whom we took by Allah’s command
better, or prostitutes – an evil you do not denounce
– who are grabbed by quasi men in the lands of kufr
where you live? A prostitute in your lands comes
and goes, openly committing sin. She lives by
selling her honor, within the sight and hearing of
the deviant scholars from whom we don’t hear even
a faint sound. As for the slave-girl that was taken by
the swords of men following the cheerful warrior (Muhammad – sallallāhu ‘alayhi
wa sallam), then her enslavement
is in opposition to human rights
and copulation with her is rape?!
What is wrong with you? How do
you make such a judgment? What
is your religion? What is your law?

I think the western media you're watching might be garbage. That's fine and not a surprise. That said, they sure as heck had some coverage of the US-assisted airdrop of supplies to besieged Yazidis in the mountains near Sinjar, and probably as a side effect some coverage of the Kurdish on-the-ground siegebreaking efforts - mostly because we were helping with both.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/world/meast/iraq-rescue-mission/

Edit: Not that the US would have necessarily interfered much more than that to save the Yazidis, mind you, but in that period it became clear that the Kurds were able and willing to fight ISIS and also probably would not have a particularly fun time if their towns fell. Sure, they ain't devil worshippers (as the Yazidis were classified), but ISIS/Daesh ain't real big on people who don't submit to the Caliph, never mind people who actively fight against them.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 3, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I quite support skepticism about appropriate policy initiatives, but I would also recommend reading and googling up on what ISIS says about themselves and on the media they produce - given that it is intended to paint them in as favorable a light as possible, you can then draw your own conclusions about them from their enthusiastic defense of enslavement, rape, and targeting of civilians.

Personally, I would argue that they are bad, and personally, I am supportive of cost effective assistance to enemies of theirs who are not as bad. You may disagree with either assessment.

Dabiq magazine really is an enlightening, high production value, and conveniently packaged read, by the way. I recommend that anyone who can read it without vomiting do so.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Edit: well maybe I should read back farther.

Also, this post is excellent.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 4, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fun fact: when Daesh of all people were accused of practicing FGM, their response boiled down to a slightly fancier "no, go gently caress yourself" - which given the other poo poo they brag about and justify in their stupid monthly magazine and videos, I am inclined to believe is an honest response.

It's also a thing their mouthpieces have bitched about in Egypt.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Wait, we're taking Daesh as a spokesperson for what islam constitutes? I think some people would take issue with that.

I am saying that even on the crazy fringe there are people who despise fgm. It goes well with the part where a pretty substantial majority of Muslims - you might even say the mainstream - also condemn fgm, which would suggest that it is a localized (if in a wide locale) cultural thing that people just try to justify.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

shrike82 posted:

That doesn't make any sense. Daesh practices sexual slavery which is endemic in many parts of the muslim world.
By your reasoning, this means that it's a "mainstream" islamic view?

Bzzt no, learn to read. The mainstream condemns it, a large chunk of crazy fundamentalists condemn it, therefore it is neither inherently a product of crazy fundamentalism nor of mainstream Islam, therefore something else is going on, therefore don't tar Islam as a whole. Or even crazy fundamentalist Islam, I guess, there are plenty of other reasons it is poo poo.

I am completely in support of pushing back against it in the cultures and regions where it is endemic and quite like that there are lots of mainstream scholars (and some crazy fundamentalist ones) who can argue against it being a demand inherent to Islam.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

which rejects the idea of the Trinity and (depending on the particular Unitarian sect) sometimes the divinity of Jesus.

Does Santa Claus need to punch some more motherfuckers? :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ddraig posted:

He shits in the stockings of every Unitarian at Christmas.

Not every Unitarian. He pushes the alleged "pastors" down flights of stairs and into doorknobs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Santa was real.

He also punched Arius at the Council of Nicea because he was poo poo-talking the Trinity.

Jehovah drat you, my joke isn't funny if people explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SedanChair posted:

I think NPR goes with "the group calling itself the Islamic State" sometimes, so you can be sure that's the pentagon backchannel-approved formulation.

e: also, cute backhanded refusals to call a group by its name have more punch when you actually stand a chance of defeating them.

:raise: I mean, it's not like Mosul or even Raqqa is under threat, but they ain't exactly winning on either Iraqi front or Syrian Kurdistan, even with just our current modest air support and "whoops guess another truckful of guns fell off a plane".

I'd totally likea more commonly recognizable term than Daesh - or alternatively, for Daesh to become English-standard.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 26, 2015

• Locked thread