Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Noun Verber posted:

What country are you from? Anyone who's in Somethingawful's typical age range and from the USA grew up in an age where every trip to school could end with a mass shooting. The vast majority of gen Y/millennials don't give a poo poo about the threat of a shooting any more than they care about the threat of rain.

This isn't true at all. Even if all of the school shootings happened in (eg) the state of Colorado I don't think Colorado children would "not give a poo poo" about it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Er, the First Amendment only protects against interference with the free exercise of religion. It doesn't guarantee you won't be discriminated against for belonging to a particular religion.

It isn't my constitution, and even I know that. Jesus.

Not according to established precedent:

quote:

The "establishment of religion" clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion to another . . . in the words of Jefferson, the [First Amendment] clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect 'a wall of separation between church and State' . . . That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

There's a couple things I haven't seen mentioned here - the fervent tone of right-wingers in the U.S. has a lot to do with the fact that whites are becoming a minority population. Settler states under demographic pressure like that typically go extra crazy and use increasingly unparliamentarian tricks until they completely lose power (one way or another) - or the race war is successful. That's why simultaneously right-wingers are going nuts about immigration, BLM, and Muslims. A saner entrenched ethnic elite might try to bring one group into the fold to keep oppressing the other two, but I think people today are too educated to fall for that kind of trick.

The thing about "Bringing a group into the fold" is that you need a few characteristics, namely:

1. There can't be large amounts of migration of that group at the current time.

2. This group must have some degree of social influence and power.

Take the Irish, for example. Their largest period of discrimination is during the 19th Century, when they had a large influx of migrants and relatively low amounts of power (partially because lots of them were recent immigrants). By the 20th Century, you had a vastly reduced amount of migrants, and a solidification of the Irish in middle class power structures (5/6 of police officers in New York City were Irish around the turn of the 20th Century, for example).

With these criteria in mind, consider the groups that people typically chicken little about being assimilated - Hispanics, Muslims, and (rarely) African-Americans. While some Hispanics do have some social influence, the vast majority are extremely low class. In addition, the vast majority of Hispanics in the US have Mexican ancestry, which is the largest immigration group at the moment. They're basically the exact worst option to pick for assimilation.*

African-Americans by contrast don't have the immigration issues, but are the most poo poo upon minority other than maybe Native Americans. Muslims actually check both boxes well, which is why historically they were Republican reliables. But, then 9/11 happened.

*The exception being if you created a rift between "Mexicans" and "Mexican-Americans". Such a rift did exist historically (the first border wall was created in a Mexican-American majority town to keep out the cheaper immigrants) but has mostly disappeared because of :heritage: assholes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

Even if Trump losses the damage might already be done. Especially if the Republicans retain control of so many state legislatures and governorships. The Democrats might continue to hold the presidnecy but will that matter if the GOP has the House of Representatives, is competitive in the senate, and controls most state governments?

Yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

Supreme Court nominees still require the Democrats to have a presence in the senate, and if the GOP controls state governments then they can employ all kinds of dirty tricks to suppress voter turnout.

No, all it requires is for the Republican Supreme Court justices to die first.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

What happens when the Republican controlled Senate Judiciary Committee decides to indefinitely filibuster the Democratic President's nominee for the Supreme Court?

Then at worst, no SCOTUS decisions are made.

If more than one Republican Justice dies, then the Democrats get control back.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Most religious denominations are explicitly anti-authoritarian. Like, that's the whole gimmick behind Protestantism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

There's nothing intrinsically anti-authoritarian in Protestantism, its just that they generally rejects Catholicism as too deviant from the true authority of the bible.

And other Protestants when they get too uppity.

By its very nature, there is very little inherent to Protestantism. Its decentralized nature is one of those few components.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You're aware this already exists, right?

(At least for Shi'ia Islam in Iran)

Yes, it exists for a subset of the far less popular Islamic denomination. Sunnis don't give a poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tei posted:

Its always a good practice to ignore what people SAY and pay attention to what people DO:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Western Culture is pretty bad though, full of racists and colonialists.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tei posted:

Do you really think that? I think is pretty great.

The western culture managed to put a human in other planet (well, a moon). Invented human rights, that is a pretty cool thing. Made a huge contribution to the advance of medicine, math, engineering,... HUGE advances in ethical and technological poo poo.

What happened to "You are not your culture"?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tei posted:

If you say that western culture is stupid, I will not feel like you insulted me. But I will give you reasons why I think you are wrong.

Western culture is very flawed at the moment, consumism and corporativism, you are not a citizen, but a customer. Avoiding trouble more important than facing problems.
Is not without his problems.

Western culture is somewhat like my car. You can say my car is ugly, I will probably agree, or maybe not. If you insult my car, you are not insulting me.

I guess that big pickup truck is compensating for something.

-Not an insult on someone, apparently

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Effectronica posted:

Even less fortunately, it tends to be a sort of poisonous religion along the lines of Christian fundamentalism.

Take a guess what type of households many atheists come from.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

To clarify, I didn't know religious arbitration was common in America.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a reason for that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tei posted:

Unlike you, I think Sharia Law has not place anywhere in the world.

What are nations or cultures, but imaginary lines draw in a map that don't exist in reality.

You should tell those people that are opposing refugees.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

Are you telling me it isn't or I'm Not Left Enough?

No, I'm saying there's a deliberate trend towards highlighting the negative actions/aspects of Muslims and other minorities while suppressing similar aspects from more favored groups.

Eg, the whole "can white people be terrorists" thing. A white guy crashed his plane into a government building & no one called it terrorism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rudatron posted:

This has been true historically, but part of the problem is that insular groups are adapting to this strategy. Part of that adaption is the creation of exclusive religious schools, gated communities, etc that create a closed loop of control. The best example is evangelical christians, but it's not exclusive to them.

Uh, that's been a thing for over a hundred years with the Catholic school programs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rudatron posted:

Have you read the Prester John threads here on SA? It's a very different world, a lot more extreme.

Can you prove that? Specific examples, comparing what Prestor John said with historical notes about the Catholic system of yesteryear.

Tei posted:

This seems to exist in USA, Israel and Argentina. For whatever reason, these 3 countries work less like a country and more like a federation of individuals. But is not true anywhere else in the world.

I'll let the Basques know that they're officially Spanish and/or French now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know exactly what Tei meant by "a federation of individuals", so I'm not sure how Basque citizenship is a valid counterpoint.

Presumably that people don't conform to the "national ethnicity" or whatever that traditional nation-states try to band around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tei posted:

Eeek... this comment is gay.

A stunning output from Western Culture.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RACHET posted:

He's gay so let's throw him off a building and then stone him to death after his legs are broken.

An enlightened output from Middle Eastern Culture.

More proof that the people who claim "culture doesn't matter" become whiny babies once you actually criticize their culture.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RACHET posted:

I'm not sure if celebrating men raping prepubescent boys constitutes as elaborate irony.

But that's an integral part of Western culture!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Manic X posted:

However certain cultures apply that rule only to people of the same culture, and everyone else is a demon or a heretic or inferior etc...

Yeah we should talk to white culture about dealing with that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Insect Court posted:

On the contrary it's well understood that all sorts of religious traditionalists are opposed to sex ed., and that goes the same for conservative Confucianism sublimated into the policy of a nominally atheistic and communistic state.

You're stretching the definition of religious, instead of realizing the truth: Someone can be an atheist and still superstitious. We see this in America with conspiracy theorists or anti-vaxxers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Morroque posted:

I suppose this is the best place as ever to ask what might be a deceptively stupid question: why exactly is it that ISIS is so hated in the first place? Like, the actual reason as far as political motivations go? So much of what I am hearing about how terrible ISIS is supposed to be is coming from people with no actual link to the region and don't have much to go off of aside from Islamophobia. It's just taken for granted that ISIS is so bad and so terrible, but I feel like I must've missed the reason why, especially when ISIS is compared to other groups like Boko Haram or even Assad.

I can't shake it... Is the reason that the only real reason the West got publicly involved with ISIS, in the sense that everyone in the media continues to talk about ISIS, is because they released those propaganda videos featuring the executions that one time. The ones gorn ones reportedly posted to people's Facebook walls or something. That creeping feeling that this might be the first action of geopolitical consequence that happened all because of some Internet trolling. ... am I wrong?

Setting aside all of the horrible individual actions they've done, they're opposed to all of the major powers in the region (maybe not Saudi but definitely Iran, Russia by way of Assad, and the US by way of Iraq) and they're just crazy enough to not realize that this is suicidal in the long term.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

Eh, I can't entirely agree with you on that one. Most traditional religions, whether it's Catholicism, Anglicanism, Calvinism, Orthodox Judaism, Hinduism, Shia or Sunni Islam, etc. have some pretty serious issues with patriarchal attitudes, mistrust of outsiders, and subordination of individual interests to the preservation of the culture or group. I don't have much interest in defending or protecting those attitudes. I wouldn't dismiss any culture outright but I also think that we in the west can sometimes forget just how awful things were in the very recent past (and how awful they continue to be in many places in the west where religion still dominates public life). If you look at Catholicism in Quebec or Ireland, or Mormonism in Utah, or Baptism in many towns in the South, then it's pretty clear that there are some really awful cultural values on display. For that matter, there's lots of problems with Islam. We don't need to shy away from admitting this.

I think the issue here is that those negative characteristics are being conflated with religious culture, when there's not really any evidence that a non-religious culture wouldn't also have those beliefs. We don't have any evidence because apparently every culture on earth is either religious or "secretly religious" (i.e., China).

In theory though, there's no reason why xenophobia (for example) wouldn't exist within a non-religious society because it often comes from economic factors that are independent of religion. Same with subordination of individual interests (which ironically was the big Commie Atheist thing in the 20th Century).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Isn't modern Japan extremely secular? It's sexist and xenophobic as hell. Or is it also somehow under the "secretly religious" umbrella because blah blah Shinto blah?

Exactly, it's a "No True Atheism" cop-out. You could probably do the same with New Atheists as a subset in the US because they're culturally very similar to Evangelical Christianity (because lots of them are from those households).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

54.4 crowns posted:

Also what the gently caress in an SJW again? Can people who unironicly uses the term give me a headsup?

"Politically correct", more or less.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Black Bones posted:

Aren't most Muslims in the USA African-Americans citizens anyways, as opposed to Middle Eastern visitors? I don't know, something I heard somewhere.

Most converts are, but what I'm seeing is about 30% each of Arab, Black, and South Asian.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

As a non-American I am watching all this with some amusement.

A Trump win in the Republican candidacy would mean a massive Democrat win in the general election right? Surely all the fence sitters wouldn't flock to the far right?

You're asking the forum of chronic alcoholics and cynics whether you should be pessimistic?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

And given that the Democrats are on the verge of nominating one of the weakest candidates in modern memory, I think there's genuine cause for concern.

Assuming the last 25 years is "modern memory", the Democrats have nominated a candidate 6 times, and have won 4 out of those 6 times (maybe 5 depending on Gore). So that's not exactly the most scathing indictment you can give, even assuming it's true.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

And yet the Democratic party is in crisis and most of it's followers seem to have trouble even acknowledging that fact. The party's probably got a firm hold on the White House in 2016, but even that isn't guaranteed, and it's position almost everywhere else is incredibly tenuous.

Which State legislatures that the Democrats control do they look tenuous in?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That doesn't really answer my question though. At best, all you've shown is that the Democrats had a coalition that was much weaker than it appeared to be, which everyone & their mother knows by now.

What is also known is that Democrats have the reputation of being "spineless". This is partially due to them having a coalition that's not very strong. You'll notice that in the past 4 years or so, there's been a lot stronger coordination within the party. This isn't accidental.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Panzeh posted:

The bad things about islam are pretty much the same bad things in christianity and judaism.

And the funny thing is that there's a clear rhetorical double standard between Islam and those two, even if it involves otherwise hated people.

Like, in the Freeper thread when those people act like monsters you'll see people say something to the effect of "those aren't real Christians!" even though they're performing exactly in line with some of the religious teachings of Christianity (yes, the Old Testament is part of your religious teachings or else you would have chucked it away already).

Take that same sort of person, but make them Muslim. Now the response becomes "you can't say they're not a real Muslim, they're following the teachings of their religion!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Religious conservatism is a minority in the west.

Under what standard? The one where a Christian party rules in Germany, or the one where we just had a mass shooting at an abortion clinic in the US?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

The "Christian" part of that party is vestigial. Most Christians aren't shooting up abortion clinics.

As opposed to most Muslims, which

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

Live under oppressive cultural standards enforced by the religious elite.

Gonna take a guess and say most Muslims don't support ISIS.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

Agreed. Most Saudi Arabians probably aren't too happy about their government either.

Yeah, most Germans probably aren't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Average Bear posted:

Almost as though the people enforcing their terrible religious convictions on others are the people I'm criticizing.

Then why did you say "Most Christians aren't shooting up abortion clinics"? I'll even remind you of the conversation:

quote:

You: Religious conservatism is a minority in the west.

Me: What about the dude that literally shot up an abortion clinic not too long ago

You: Well most Christians aren't shooting up abortion clinics!

• Locked thread