Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tei
Feb 19, 2011

- Bacon is delicious. Are you guys mad?
- Sex is good, and getting married to have sex is stupid. Is best to have sex with a women before getting married because is possible that two people to not be sexually compatible. It will be sad to marry a women and be incompatible that way. But is easy avoidable.
- Your ideas about moral are not universal and probably are wrong. Don't be so full of yourself to try to force others to share your beliefs.
- I don't say womens are superior, or inferior, they are different, but they are humans. Because they are humans they are worthy of respect from everyone. All these rules havout threating womens worse is barbarism and dehumanizing.
- Theres nothing bad with being gay. If you don't like gays, don't be gay yourself, don't talk to gays or whatever. If your country have laws against gays, your country is a lovely hellholle and suck.
- Theres nothing bad with being atheist. If you don't like atheist, then gently caress yourself and don't be atheist yourself.
- No you don't own your childrens.
- No you don't own your daughter to sell her.
- No you don't own your wife. Is another person and if you are allowed to beat her, she is allowed to beat you, because she is a person like you are a person. Being male don't make you special.
- Europeans don't share your religion and beliefs, deal with it. We also think your religion is backwards and stupid, deal with it.

Islamophobe is too big a word. It mean you "hate" islam or "fear" it. Anyway If somebody feel that way, and really hate islam, I don't think is a irrational thing to do.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Heres a article about Sharia Law.
http://atheism.wikia.com/wiki/Problems_with_Muslim_Sharia_Law

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

Wikia? Nice 'article', mereswine. Doesn't even have a bibliography at the bottom, just a couple citations from unscholarly sources. Doesn't argue anything, just goes "look at all this gross poo poo theocracies get up to!".
If you weren't arguing in bad faith, or are English-As-Second language and your poor argumentation is due to language issues, I would reccomend using more primary/secondary sources instead of glorified blogs (or even a scholarly sort of blog at the very least). Perhaps attempt to perform some sort of synthesis tying abuses by patriarchal governments to specific readings of the Koran or specific Islamic philisophical traditions?

Wikipedia is the most popular wiki and is a encyclopedia, and is only natural that people see a wiki and asociate it with things like citations things and stuff you see in a encyclopedia. But this association is wrong. Not all wikis are encyclopedias, or need to be.

One of the reasons why I like wiki pages, is because everything in a wiki page is suspicious and can be wrong. You should never take anything in a wiki page at face value. You must use your brain and your rationalism to read a wiki page. To me this make a wiki more valuable than other resources. I hate how people take at face value things like what journalist say in TV or something in a book... just because is written in a book.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Arachnophobia

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

People that think all religions are equal, are following their social programming and not acting logically.

Is just a dogma that is dominant in the western world.

After crushing more than half the world with the colonization thing, the european have told themselves this idea strong enough that they believe it, in shame. With all the religion wars they have done the same. Anyone that put in question these ideas is see like somebody that want the pendulum to swing in the other direction, a return to having the europeans feeling superior and crushing all other cultures. Is just not aceptable to try to move the pendulum to the center, where it deserve.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 27, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

So what religion is the most logically correct?

Thats a weird way to categorize religions. Religions are about mysticism and other things.

Its a weird angle to take from my post. I can't care less what religion is less or more logically correct. Or if the pope paint abstract art because is the only way to sublime pederasty.

Christianism is kinda cool, but is wrong about one thing, Jesus survived the crucifixion, he was seen by witnesses three days later.

All the stuff about Islamism is kinda cool too. The prophet said that Islamism will last until the man would put their foot in the moon. So is kinda like "expired food".

I don't know much about Buddhism, Shintoism, Animism and these things. But I can tell you my toothbrush is not alive, nor have a "ghost" in it.

Asking what is the most logically correct religion is a bit like asking what is the less crazy guy in the asylum, the one that believe to be Napoleon, or the one that thinks he is a Motorbike.

I can produce a answer, but it will not be useful.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anosmoman posted:

What do you mean when you say not all religions are equal?

Now I understand better the other dude question. Sorry. Ignore my post above this one.

Heres some reviews for imaginary religions, with a score.

- Religions that ask to kill every third children:
* Annoying.
* Nobody want to kill babies, is ugly, sad and nasty.
* It (potentially) make the womens very angry/sad.

Not good. 1 star.

- Religions that ask to have a magic item with you all the time:
* Annoying.
* What if you want to swim? do you have to have the item with you, inside your swimsuit?
* If somebody pee on your item. He is literally peeing on your god.

Not good. 2 stars.

- Religions that ask to proselytize and do absolutely nothing thusday:
* Weee.... lazy thusday!.
* You have to convince your boss to free you from work every thusday.
* Is anoying for other people that you are trying to hire for your religion.

Not good. 3 stars.

- Supersecret religion. You pray, but told everyone that you are atheist.
* No free thusday :(
* If you get cancer, you still have a relief beyond chemo. Praying is a psychological help.
* You don't annoy anyone.

Good. 4 stars out of 5.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 27, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hate yankees posted:

Islamaphobia stems from the fact that there is a silent majority of non-extremists. Anytime there is a terrorist attack there should be millions of Muslims marching and getting attention that this is not exceptable. Because this does not often occur the narrative that these kinds of practices (terrorism) is acceptable floats among westerners.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Muslims don't owe you poo poo. They shouldn't have to march just for you or any Westerner to show that they don't support terrorist attacks, because it is already obvious to anyone who isn't terminally bigoted.
Did you march? No? Why, do you support the terrorists?

Its always a good practice to ignore what people SAY and pay attention to what people DO:

- Muslim terrorist kill innocents:
* Nothing to see here. Not a reason to demonstrate. Nobody owe you poo poo.

- Westerner draw mahoma:
* Lets go nuclear! Lets burn flags, shot in the air with ak-45, go!.

narrative: for the Muslim world, a drawing of a cartoon is much more important poo poo than human lives lost in a terrorist attack.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thanks computers parts. This is obviously not black and white. And hating a religion enterilly based on what one part do is very flawed.

You made a good reply there.

Can we change the subject from Islamophobia to Germanophobia?

I will start with a video and one line of text.

The line of text is:

Europe do what is best for Germany.

And the video is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v5QCGqDYGo

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 27, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Is this foggy-minded Ben Carson voter lingo for "I lied and slandered millions of people"?

This is the old "I am cesar, a insult to me is a insult to rome".

Islam is a bad religion, and the islamic culture is mediocre at best. This is not a insult to muslims. You are not your religion, you are not your culture. You can be a smart person that live in a dumb culture. Lets ask some turks what they think about Erdogan.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

computer parts posted:

Western Culture is pretty bad though, full of racists and colonialists.

Do you really think that? I think is pretty great.

The western culture managed to put a human in other planet (well, a moon). Invented human rights, that is a pretty cool thing. Made a huge contribution to the advance of medicine, math, engineering,... HUGE advances in ethical and technological poo poo.

The current problem of western culture is capitalism. Capitalism force people on a competitive strategy. Competitive strategies are less efficient than cooperative strategies. So theres a huge loss of productivity because of capitalism. But we don't know of any better system than capitalism, so we stick to it :P

SedanChair posted:

Is there a better one?

My opinions are stupid, ignorant and uneducated. I already given mine about this subject, so I will not offend the cool people in this thread more by repeating them again. Looks upthread about my opinion about what you ask. I will not repeat myself.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

computer parts posted:

What happened to "You are not your culture"?

If you say that western culture is stupid, I will not feel like you insulted me. But I will give you reasons why I think you are wrong.

Western culture is very flawed at the moment, consumism and corporativism, you are not a citizen, but a customer. Avoiding trouble more important than facing problems.
Is not without his problems.

Western culture is somewhat like my car. You can say my car is ugly, I will probably agree, or maybe not. If you insult my car, you are not insulting me.

Helsing posted:

What exactly is the practical implication of saying western culture is superior? Are you planning to deport all members of the inferior cultures from the west? Ban them from entry? Are you going to somehow magically force them to abandon all their cultural practices and beliefs over night?

The implications is that you have to pay attention to the poo poo that make life better for human beings and the things that make life poo poo. Stuff like womens equality.

Why women equality is cool? because smart people is cool, smart people build cool poo poo. If you have 50% of the population stuck away from laboratories and workplaces, they don't have the opportunity to shine. So you have people that can contribute to technology, science, art or culture away from doing that. By having women equality, society progress faster to cool stuff. This is cool. Women equality is cool.

The implications is that you have to look at every culture, see what make the life of people better or worst. Everything that help people is cool.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 27, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Western culture also got to genocide two entire continents of people and pretty much screwed over another without any real repercussions.

But yeah, we got onto the moon. Yay. :geno:

Europeans where better at killing other people because we quickly learned that religion is a dead end. If you want cool poo poo, you must invest in science. Separate state and religion and put the turbo in engineering.

These american natives where killing each another when the europeand paid a visit. The europeans where better, because they had a more cooler culture that paid attention to science and engineering. Better weapons, better doctors, better ships.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Is there a religion better than Islam?

I have already given you a answer. But you was not happy because It involved scrolling on your browser window, maybe visiting the past page of posts.

So here the one you want. For you.

Christianism seems better than Islam.

I am not expert in religions, so maybe I will get you wrong, hope you can correct me If I make a mistake.

It seems gays are tolerated in the christian religion I think the Pope recently said something about that.

If anything, it seems the line with gays is more tolerant than with islam.

Again, correct me If I am wrong. Thanks for your post. Sorry If I make mistakes in mine.

Mandy Thompson posted:

Fundamentalism is a backlash against racism and colonialism. Daesh is a creation of western powers as was the Taliban.

Perhaps even the original ones:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

Maybe you are right. But I think If somebody is assassinating people (pun no intented) you have amoral obligation to help. France could have ignored the conflict, but they have sort of.... received a invitation to come. Are you going to blame france for intervening .. now?

(editorializing removed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU3ZT6dxkw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LxmESkV0Q

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 27, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Black Bones posted:

Tell us more about Christianism and Christianists, Tei

They promise the heavens, but the only way to reach the sky is with a rocket.

Rocket science > Jesus doctrine

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Helsing posted:

What are they saying should be done about this fact?

I will respond, but you will not like the answer:

Identity what make it a good civilization, and protect it. One of these things (of many) is privacy. Defend personal privacy. You want another one, freedom of expresion, like cartoon artists work.

Real people believe all cultures are equal, and thats ignorant and bland, boring and dangerous for our survival and well being.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 27, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Helsing posted:

Can you be specific? This answer leaves me no closer to understanding your position. What does "defend personal privacy" mean in practice?

- You probably should not use your real name in social networks like Facebook. Doing so open yourself to get a lot of data indexed that will get in bad hands or use against you.
- You should not register your phone to identity accounts on the internet with a phone that can be used to identity you.
- If you are asked to get a card to buy poo poo. Consider that if you pay everything you buy with this card, you are giving a profile of what you buy. Some day in the future that information can be used against you, to make your credit score worse, to deny you a life insurance.
- You should use the https version of websites when you connect trough a wifi network or in a lan.
- Consider using less know services. If everyone email is in gmail, is easier for a nation state to attack your privacy. Consider using alternative email services like gmx, do some search and find your own. You can mix system, like ask for something in a sms and receive it in a email.
- When you are using a social network, don't talk in public about where you will go in the holydays. Probably is not a good idea to use them for political talk. If you have something political to say, is probably better to create a blog.
- If you buy a hostname and a hosting service, try to use anonimization services, so people can't get your details with a simple whois.
- Bet gentle with police. They are there to help you. But don't give unnecessary info that will not help them find criminals. If you think they are targeting you, shut the gently caress up and contact a lawyer. Law is complicate, you will need a lawyer not to have a problem with this type of poo poo. Really, police is cool people, but they see too much poo poo, so they end thinking everyone has hidden poo poo, so they don't / can't really think honest people exist.
- If you have a secret, don't tell anyone. If you have a secret and you tell somebody, is not a secret anymore.
- ...don't write what you don't want people to read. don't record what you don't want to people to see. This include pictures of your tits you plan to send to your boyfriend.
- Ask permission before sharing photos/videos/stories with other people.
- Don't tell anyone about how you build your passwords. What type of passwords you use.
- Try to not make spelling mistakes. They will allow in the future algorithms to undo anonymization by using characteristics misspelling like traits in a fingerprint.

I can continue, but I am not a expert and is taking too long to write this poo poo. If you ask for more, I will try to provide more.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 27, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SedanChair posted:

"Would you like to use your rite-aid rewards card?"

"Why so I can CEDE CULTURAL VICTORY TO DAESH?!"

Every country has hawks. People that believe the power of the state is more important than everything else. In USA that is represented by the like of the NSA.
They get vindicated and empowered after every terrorist attack. They probably get what they want, more power, more money.

Money to buy servers, power to bend the rules of democracy. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?... us, is us that must watch out for the likes of the NSA not to have too much power or turn into a corrupt second government with secret laws, secret judges, secret prisons.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think is pretty lame to turn this thread into "Awful Religion Olympics".

Humm... the thing about islam being worse than other religions is not even important. Theres rational reasons to hate islam even if other religions where worse.

Maybe I am not innocent here... and I started it trying to fight the "all religions are equal" western dogma. A fight for somebody better than me, should not have challenged that tabbo.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 28, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

See that's where you're wrong. Even I don't "hate" Islam or Christianity. I don't care about them. Let people believe in whatever stuff makes them happy, let them entertain any kind of magical thinking, let them have any culture. What I hate is that they have an influence over politics though, and I believe that whatever we do we must not let religious morals or religious "truths" dictate or get in the way of policy.

(not a direct reply to your post)

It would be cool if we agree on a strict separation of religion and education.

Sometimes people drop the idea that religion must be in the schools because parents want it. But schools don't exist to make parents happy, they "customer" of schools are the students and society. They exist despite parents. When "forced schooling" was introduced was despite the desired of parents. Some farmer parents did not wanted their children to go to school (why would a farmer need math? or learn to read?). Mixing education and religion could be what is best for parents, but is not what is best for society or students.

Democracy is a bad framework to solve this problem, because parents vote and students often don't vote. So politicians are going to do what is best for parents, loving students over what is best for them, and what is best for the whole society.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 28, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

NNick posted:

Religion was also a primary driving force to removing segregation in the 60s. It can work both ways. How is "freedom" not just 'magical' thinking.

This is magical thinking:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

magical thinking is atributing to magic everything around you,when you could attribute it to normal natural laws

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 28, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

NNick posted:

I understand what it means. How did western society give man freedom and equality? These ideas are in no way "natural". You can't prove that all men are equal. These are ideas generated by men through religion.

Because the western society is not made by assholes, we invented these things. You read it correctly, the declaration of the human rights is just a invention that humans created, because they are cool.

We also invented democracy. Because we are this awesome.

*hand language that can be translated to gently caress you*

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Helsing posted:

I think any discussion of Islamophobia would be a welcome respite from all the actual Islamophobia we're getting in this very thread.

I think you want a safe space

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Helsing posted:

If you don't support things like Sharia Law (and I would agree that Sharia law has no place in a secular country)

Unlike you, I think Sharia Law has not place anywhere in the world.

What are nations or cultures, but imaginary lines draw in a map that don't exist in reality.

Helsing posted:

The fact is that religious toleration is a strategy for assimilation, and it's been a relatively effective one in the past if you just look at the history of religious minorities like Catholics or Jews. If people want to argue for something different then have the balls to actually say what you're advocating for.

Apparently the turks are well integrated in germany, but many muslims seems to be alienated in france. I just seems is not has clear as you say.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 28, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

computer parts posted:

You should tell those people that are opposing refugees.

This part is easy.

Dear anti-immigration people.

I agree with you, immigration is bad. Immigration is how rich people attract more poors, so they can lower wages. More people competing for the same low paid jobs.

The alternative is poor people having more childrens. This is normally achieved trough religion. But it don't work well in modern countries because modern countries need a higuer education level, so the poors in modern countries know too much about family planification. When poors can plan parenthood, they don't have childrens when they can't give them a good life.

So rich people must open the doors for poor people to enter, and compete for wages.

But I ask you something.

Who own a country?

If you say, these that have born in it, the second generation immigrants will own it has much you current own it.

Do people that pay taxes own a country? the legal immigrants will start to pay taxes as soon they put their house there.

Is a race the one that own the country, a culture? What is your culture but a melting pot of other cultures, comedic errors and random historic artifacts?

Who owns a country?

These that live in it, pay taxes in it, hare born in it, work in it and are willing to defend it?. Immigrants are going to do all these things.

So go and stop immigration if you can. You will only achieve one thing: a society of old people that can't pay retired guys, that can't pay unemployeed, that can't pay a army, that can't pay smart kids in the university.

Immigrants is blood, and immigration is a blood transfusion.

You live in this country, but you don't own it. You never did. You rent it, for your lifetime, but it will still exist when you die, and other people will live in it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Squalid posted:

I also think fears about integration are overblown. We in the United States often forget there are dozens or even hundreds of insular religious communities scattered throughout our country. Many have existed for hundreds of years, retaining extreme religious beliefs and sometimes even refusing to adopt the English language. In particular I'm thinking of the various Anabaptist denominations including the Amish and Mennonites.

This seems to exist in USA, Israel and Argentina. For whatever reason, these 3 countries work less like a country and more like a federation of individuals. But is not true anywhere else in the world.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have been living in the basque country for a short period. I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about.

El Pais Vasco, Euskadi is not a group of "insular religious communities". What the hell is wrong with you guys?

The post in this thread are everywhere.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 29, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

PT6A posted:

Where was it claimed they were? I'm just saying they're cultural distinct from Spanish people, who themselves are culturally distinct from Catalan people, etc.

Eeek... this comment is gay.

Can we rewind the comment history?

I was talking about alien communities in a country.

Stuff like whole-german towns in Argentina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Argentine

It seems theres similar things this in USA. Whole spanish towns with the street indicators in spanish, the shops in spanish, people talking in spanish. Maybe I am 100% wrong here.

It seems this also happens in Israel, you have whole towns of Bedouins that are pro-israel, they identity themselves as part of israel and nothing with palestina. I could be completely wrong here, like 210% wrong here.

Lets rewind a bit more to the original comment:

quote:

I also think fears about integration are overblown. We in the United States often forget there are dozens or even hundreds of insular religious communities scattered throughout our country. Many have existed for hundreds of years, retaining extreme religious beliefs and sometimes even refusing to adopt the English language. In particular I'm thinking of the various Anabaptist denominations including the Amish and Mennonites.

This thread is a joke. Every commenter read only the last post without trying to understand whats going on, and reply to it trying to find a angle to criticize. This is the worst. Like that people that post in aggregation blogs and only read the titles and never read the articles themselves.

I may not have anything interesting to say (Helsing is right), but I pay attention to what you guys say and I try to reply honestly.

My theory is that insular communities can exist in USA because nobody care how you dance or how you celebrate Xmax in USA. USA really is serius about every human being being free to be and do whatever he please. So people is free to be part of a culture. This tolerance that exist in USA don't exist in other countries. USA is really the land of freedom, is not propaganda, is a real thing. That what my line "federation of individuals" means.

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 29, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Many countries in africa are really rich. With plenty of natural resources. Uranium, diamonds, coal, oil. Their farming industry is also powerful, with even more production possible with the introduction of modern techniques.

Lets see how Islam has contributed in africa most populated nation:
https://africacheck.org/factsheets/factsheet-explaining-nigerias-boko-haram-and-its-violent-insurgency/

Boko haram can be translated has "Western education is forbidden”

quote:

In 2013, Boko Haram targeted pupils in a series of awful school attacks in the northeast that killed dozens of boys. Later there were reports that the group was also kidnapping girls and women with the intent of raping them or making them brides.

In April 2014, attackers raided Chibok deep in northeastern Nigeria and kidnapped 276 school girls, generally between 16 and 18 years old. 219 remain missing. Shekau claimed credit for the kidnappings in a video and threatened to sell them.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 29, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

Counterpoint: Senegal, an overwhelming Muslim country held up as a model of stability and democratic transparency in west africa.

Interesting, kustom, will check that. Thanks for this.

*google*

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/senegal.html

Seems a Ok place if you have no problem sending gays to prison for kising.

quote:

LGBT RIGHTS: Consensual same-sex sexual relations are criminalized in Senegal. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Intersex (LGBTI) individuals routinely face discrimination, and there is strong societal disapproval. Under Article 319 of the Senegalese penal code, “unnatural acts” are punishable by imprisonment of one to five years and a fine of CFA 1,000,000 (USD $2,000). While authorities have not dedicated significant resources to prosecuting individuals under this article, there have been several recent prosecutions. In September 2014, two men were arrested after police caught them kissing behind the presidential palace. In February 2014, a judge sentenced two men to six months in jail after they admitted in court to having consensual same-sex sexual relations. The men were arrested after a neighbor told police they were living together. In November 2013, five women were arrested for violating the law at a birthday party in a bar in Dakar. Following several days in prison, where they were harassed, the women were released due to a lack of evidence. In October 2012, a court in Dakar sentenced a man for violating the law. In January 2012, two women were arrested following the circulation of a cell phone video that showed them kissing. They were detained and released on bail several days later but were never formally charged with a crime. These incidents were widely covered in local print and online media. Acts of aggression by the pubic based on sexual orientation are considered routine.

By western standards is Town Biggotry with Bigot Laws. By african standards is probably a pretty Ok place. If you don't plan to kiss a men behind the president palace, thats is. But thats very gay.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 29, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Theres a culture build around ideas like "snitches get stitches", "bros before hoes" and a anti intelectual agenda (these that pay interest to studies, are targeted for abuse).
This is the pop culture in poor areas where part of the population has ben in jail, or will be in jail, so the culture of the area is mixed with the culture of criminals.
This culture is machist, a host for criminality and hostile to education. Is not a good culture.

My idea is that since this is not a good culture, its possible to say that a culture can be bad. Maybe if this culture (criminal/bro/guetto culture) is bad, other cultures are bad.
So we can take a culture, maybe the islamic culture, and ask ourselves... Is this a good culture? is this a bad culture? and is a question that we can make.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

INH5 posted:

There is no such thing as "islamic culture." We're talking about 1.6 billion people with majorities in 55 different countries, and significant minorities in a bunch of other places. It makes no sense to talk about Saudi Arabia, Morocco, and Indonesia as if they are all part of the same culture.

Well, that would be a problem for step #2. But step #1 was to agree or disagree that a culture can be "Bad".
Do we agree a culture can be "bad"?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

there is no objective basis on which you can define a culture or if it's good or bad, so it's useless except to articulate what you dislike.

Effectronica posted:

No, that's step number 2. Step 1 is to define "bad".

Next thing I am going to say, theres some universal ideas we can agree. I think.

Protect childrens.
Protect womans.
Violence against the weak, is disgusting.
Hardworking people is like awesome.
Fun people is something to like.

Can't we even agree on the things above? can we agree on these basics, or other basics that can be written down?
Maybe the basic I wrote are not universal, but we can find others that we do agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAIFUvQiPQc

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I love the human genre. I think of all the things that will be lost forever if the world suffered a total extinction event (like being hit by a comet) and I feel sad about all the creations of the human genre that will be lost forever.

I think is a feeling that is easy to share, you only need to find your favorite music and play it, and imagine that music vanishing in nothing.

Theres beauty in this world that is not creation of nature, but is our own, something we created.

It was physically painful to see the buddha statues destroyed by the taliban. It was only a few months before the 11/S. I think these TNT explosions where somehow a warning, the only warning we got before two planes crashed in the world trade center.

What type of people would destroy art, art that have existed for millennia? religious fundamentalist that want to erase history, that don't accept that there are different ways to see the world.

Tei fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 4, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Helsing posted:

Remember to pass the joint after two puffs Tei.

I have changed my opinion since I started posting in this thread. I think now that islamophobia perhaps is ridiculous and uncalled for.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Only right wing people are islamophobes in usa?

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 4, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

computer parts posted:

In theory though, there's no reason why xenophobia (for example) wouldn't exist within a non-religious society because it often comes from economic factors that are independent of religion.

Is easy to imagine that, yes.

:D

You have the movie Starship Troopers movie, where the government promote Xenophobia against aliens to make it easier to get support for the troops.
Theres this scene where happy kids scratch bugs and say "I do my part!".

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

About christians...

The romans in the Roma Empire where scared shirtless of Christians.

Tacitus posted:

Nero punished a race of men who were hated for their evil practices. These men were called Christians. He got a number of people to confess. On their evidence a number of Christians were convicted and put to death with dreadful cruelty. Some were covered with the skins of wild beasts and left to be eaten by dogs. Others were nailed to the cross. Many were burned alive and set on fire to serve as torches at night.

Christians where scary for many reasons. First, they where atheist. They did not believe in any of the gods. Second, they worshiped a criminal.

If that where not suspicious enough, they called each other sister and brother, and THEY HAD SEX, that was very incestuous sounding. But it was not all. The biggest problem with Christians, is that they had their rites in secret (where all others religions did in public) and they claimed to eat the meat of a dead guy and drink the blood of a dead guy in these secret ceremonies.

I mean, who would not be scared of Christians? Christianophobia was fully justified:
- Christians are atheist (don't believe in any of the pantheon gods)
- Christians arguably practice some sort of incest ( tell call each other sister and brother and despite that, they had sex )
- Christians do secret rites (in fully crazy places like catacombs )
- Christians do necro-canibalism (the eat the meat of christ )
- Christians worship criminals (like jesus, that was killed in the cross by the legal system )
- Christians will not integrate. They will not want to be part of the cult to the emperor, or any other cult. (Monotheism was intolerant to this poo poo)
- If you are Christians, you basically worship Jews (well... not all jews, one in particular, Christ). If jews are that awesome, why they where conquered by Rome? It sounds to me like Rome has the more awesome gods/guys.

They where blamed of a whole lot of poo poo things that happened:
- The Burning of Rome (that probably was just land speculations gone wrong )
- The Burning of The Great Library in Egypt (that was episodic serie of war events )

It all backfired because the people spot these martyrs and they said "Wow, this guys is baddass, I want to be awesome like him". So everyone turned christians, then they learned that christianisity is much less interesting than advertised.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Just after a terrorist attack people is irrational. After a few months people become more rational ( or dumber, or something). These feelings are going to change. ... Well, they usually change. I don't know with the republicans heating these feelings.

The most positive part is that most people think is unamerican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's more depressing than positive IMO. People basically think it goes against all American values but want to do it anyways. :negative:

Values and some empathy can go a long road. Values or empathy alone can be manipulated, but together make a good team, I think.

People will return to he senses in a few weeks. I think.

• Locked thread