Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

sean price posted:

my only question is why does there have to be a historical precedent for everything? some loving things happening every single day have never had any historical analogy

I think you'll find that there is nothing new under the sun, that those who forget history are condemned to repeat it, and that wishing is never a substitute for thinking. Thus, with these facts in hand, you could offer something trenchant as opposition. But what you've got is, "things might be different", entirely as platitudinous and intellectually empty as the clichéd quotes I started this post off with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Uh, Islamist parties worldwide are notoriously conservative, so are Buddhist parties in Japan or Cambodia ; Christian-Democrats in Europe are anywhere between the center and the right, and the far-right in Europe is largely Christian and defend their "Christian values" (ans so is the Russian right with its defense of the Orthodox Christian Church). Politics in America are skewed towards the right and infused with religion ; as for South America, the role of the Church in the 20th century authoritarian conservative dictatorships there is pretty well established, liberation theology notwithstanding.

These are not convincing examples from the perspective of religion as a source for conservatism, as you have been promoting. In order to rule out the alternative possibility, that conservatism is a source for religiosity, you would need to show universally that all religious folk were more conservative than atheists, or perhaps just secular humanists. The former is absolutely untrue- Jewish Americans are more liberal than self-identified atheist Americans, on average. I suspect that examining religious minorities in other countries will show similar complexity.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

religions are bad as a propagating source of magical thinking

if you disagree then we might as well close schools

Is this definitional or incidental? That is, if I can provide an example of a "religion" that offers no magical thinking, is it not a religion? Or a "secular" philosophy that offers magical thinking, this is actually a religion?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cat Mattress posted:

I'll make sure to tell these guys that they don't have to do what they do.

Can you give a reason why you're so consistently ignoring the plain English sentences in Hong XiuQuan's posts in favor of ones you've made up? Are you, perhaps, suffering from a severe mental disability?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tei posted:

This is the old "I am cesar, a insult to me is a insult to rome".

Islam is a bad religion, and the islamic culture is mediocre at best. This is not a insult to muslims. You are not your religion, you are not your culture. You can be a smart person that live in a dumb culture. Lets ask some turks what they think about Erdogan.

How dare you insult Western culture and civilization by calling it "mediocre at best," you swine, you dog of a man? I ought to demand satisfaction of you this instant!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Black Baby Goku posted:

I can think of way worse things than racism and colonialism happening in the Middle East.

Nice slandering of Western Culture you've got going on there, rear end in a top hat.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I don't know why reminiscence of modern scientific understanding is a moral point in a religion's favor. Is it because many supposed nonreligious atheists are actually practitioners of the atheistic religion of scientism?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

I can think of at least one significant impediment to sedanchair taking that particular course of action.

Non-white people don't just stand around silently when there isn't a white person whose presence compels them to act. Fundamentalist movements in Islam predate colonialism and fundamentalist movements in modern history have emerged and developed in response to the internal social and political dynamics of Muslim countries that have nothing to do with the West. What sort of western imperialism were the Kharijites a response to?

And Puritanism and Pentecostalism are identical and emerged for the same reasons. This is why the term "Islamic fundamentalism" as applied to jihadist movements is a bad one, because it opens the door to the kind of mindless response where all Islamic subgroups that are "fundamentalist" (read:assholes) are identical in such a way as to obscure any understanding of why they exist and why people support them, much as if some jackass was to equate Puritanism and Charismatic Christianity.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

NNick posted:

Religion was also a primary driving force to removing segregation in the 60s. It can work both ways. How is "freedom" not just 'magical' thinking.

Conventionally, "magical thinking" refers to certain specific approaches to the world, generally those that involve treating symbolic or semiotic relationships as material ones and rejecting empiricism (these are not how magic is actually understood to work in traditional societies). For many internet atheists, it's a meme that refers to any and all religions, except those graciously designated as acceptable by the speaker.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mandy Thompson posted:

That is a really ugly and bigoted thing to say. I am not right wing, in fact I am a communist. My church took me in when I came out of the closet as a lesbian. I am going through homelessness now and my pastor is helping to connect me to the right people. We're participating in the black lives matter protest too.

Unfortunately, most people treat atheism as a kind of religion, with conversion stories and exclusivity and misfortunate arrogance concerning truth. Even less fortunately, it tends to be a sort of poisonous religion along the lines of Christian fundamentalism.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Average Bear posted:

Just because politics makes for strange bedfellows doesn't mean you have to support sharia law arbitration in America. If you oppose anything because an rear end in a top hat supports it, you're being reactionary and irrational.

The argument is that opposing Sharia arbitration materially helps Christian fascists in their goals and so should be opposed. There's more to it than the straw man.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Average Bear posted:

To clarify, I didn't know religious arbitration was common in America. The issue of sharia being used as well was brought up, so that's why it catches flak.

Here are the material steps I will take to counter the power of religion in secular politics: not vote for religious leaders.

In the United States, this involves rarely voting period. I'm not even sure if any third parties with nationwide balloting are running atheist or agnostic candidates in 2016.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

RACHET posted:

He's gay so let's throw him off a building and then stone him to death after his legs are broken.

An enlightened output from Middle Eastern Culture.

Huh, so all those references to loving other men up the rear end in Islamic poetry, those were just elaborate irony? I mean, cultures are simple and deterministic, except of course for the ones white people belong to.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

emoji posted:

Over centuries, we have seen that any culture's values can change to their antithesis and back again. The context of discussion should be restricted to the modern era. There is no question that certain places in 2015 have horrifying punishments justified by certain interpretations of Sharia law without any place for what we consider due process or a framework for changing the laws. This is obviously what most Western people think of when they hear the term Sharia rather than rules for inheritance/marriage/contracts because the boring parts aren't newsworthy. The term is poisoned. Non-punitive Sharia law would probably be accepted by Westerners if it was simply called something else.

This criticism doesn't hold much water when you remember that many parts of the United States had extremely harsh sodomy laws merely a dozen years ago, which is definitely in the modern era.

And most Muslims who want "Shari'a law" want the boring poo poo. That still leaves us at an impasse.

Manic X posted:

Why is it when you question the compatability of certain cultures together, the automatic response by SJWs is the race card.

I can 100% say that as long as a person abides by the one human law that everyone agrees on (treat others as you would like to be treated) then I am happy to mix with that person.

However certain cultures apply that rule only to people of the same culture, and everyone else is a demon or a heretic or inferior etc...

Until people put their values as a human first, cultures will always be incompatible in some way.

You're making a good case for Euro-American (Islamic culture being Western culture) culture having serious problems, producing people who use this absurd notion of "cultural incompatibility" to justify inhumane behavior.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tei posted:

Well, that would be a problem for step #2. But step #1 was to agree or disagree that a culture can be "Bad".
Do we agree a culture can be "bad"?

No, that's step number 2. Step 1 is to define "bad".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

An Enormous Boner posted:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent

Allah (ta'ala) said, They thought that their fortresses would protect them from Allah but Allah came upon them from where they had not expected, and He cast terror into their hearts so they destroyed their houses by their own hands and the hands of the believers. So take warning, O people of vision [Al-Hashr:2].

In a blessed battle whose causes of success were enabled by Allah, a group of believers from the soldiers of the Caliphate (may Allah strengthen and support it) set out targeting the capital of prostitution and vice, the lead carrier of the cross in Europe — Paris. This group of believers were youth who divorced the worldly life and advanced towards their enemy hoping to be killed for Allah's sake, doing so in support of His religion, His Prophet (blessing and peace be upon him), and His allies. They did so in spite of His enemies. Thus, they were truthful with Allah — we consider them so — and Allah granted victory upon their hands and cast terror into the hearts of the crusaders in their very own homeland.

And so eight brothers equipped with explosive belts and assault rifles attacked precisely chosen targets in the center of the capital of France. These targets included the Stade de France stadium during a soccer match — between the teams of Germany and France, both of which are crusader nations — attended by the imbecile of France (Francois Hollande). The targets included the Bataclan theatre for exhibitions, where hundreds of pagans gathered for a concert of prostitution and vice. There were also simultaneous attacks on other targets in the tenth, eleventh, and eighteenth districts, and elsewhere. Paris was thereby shaken beneath the crusaders' feet, who were constricted by its streets. The result of the attacks was the deaths of no less than two hundred crusaders and the wounding of even more. All praise, grace, and favor belong to Allah.

Allah blessed our brothers and granted them what they desired. They detonated their explosive belts in the masses of the disbelievers after finishing all their ammunition. We ask Allah to accept them amongst the martyrs and to allow us to follow them.

Let France and all nations following its path know that they will continue to be at the top of the target list for the Islamic State and that the scent of death will not leave their nostrils as long as they partake in the crusader campaign, as long as they dare to curse our Prophet (blessings and peace be upon him), and as long as they boast about their war against Islam in France and their strikes against Muslims in the lands of the Caliphate with their jets, which were of no avail to them in the filthy streets and alleys of Paris. Indeed, this is just the beginning. It is also a warning for any who wish to take heed.

Allah is the greatest.

(And to Allah belongs all honor, and to His Messenger, and to the believers, but the hypocrites do not know) [Al-Munafiqun: 8].

Well, it looks like the person you're quoting accurately summed up the reasons for that attack, which I've helpfully bolded for clarity.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Good luck on your holy crusade against Islam.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

It's not my holy crusade you need to be worried about.

I find it far more plausible that people like you will lynch American Muslims than that American Muslims will start any sort of mass-murder campaign, because I have a soul, and know that belief in Islam doesn't destroy your brain.

*rereads the statement, even the bolded part explicitly stating if you say Muhammed wrong we'll shoot you in the head* Yeah it's all about military action

Let's see- a lot of interchangeable gabble, and then specific grievances which are about French military intervention in Syria, in the context of framing Western behavior as being about exterminating Islam and Muslims. Westerners graciously declare that all Muslims are out to get them, because we are a degenerate and evil people.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rakosi posted:

Citations please, it's this kind of shoddy research that caused religion and it's conflicts in the first place.

You're not very good at reading. My supporting evidence was in the next clause. I have a soul because I don't arbitrarily declare certain people to be subhuman wretches. Those who do, lack a soul.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

What the hell is wrong with you?

You're accusing Muslims of wanting to commit violence against people, and yet it's not OK for people to turn that around against you. That seems fairly absurd.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I'm accusing the organization that planned and executed the attacks in France of wanting to commit violence against people, yes. I'm also saying it's largely because of their extreme religious beliefs, which they have explicitly and repeatedly explained.

No, you're not. You've been accusing Islam in general, throughout this thread. You're arguing that this is because of religion. Necessarily, this means that all Muslims are suspect.

Meanwhile, your interpretation, where the French intervention in Syria is irrelevant for this Syria-based organization, which is itself incapable of propaganda (presumably because they're religious and thus stupid), is plain ridiculous.

Now you're going to start screaming about how I'm defending ISIS, in all probability.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cat Mattress posted:

"Either you're racist, or you have to admit the terrorists are right."

Please source your quotes. :D

We're talking about allusions made within a sub-section of a single sentence in ISIS's statement. It's very important, yes, but there's other stuff there and it's also significant. I mean there's stuff in the same sentence, even, that isn't just about France in Syria.

The vast majority of it is cruft. It's like emphasizing the use of articles and prepositions and poo poo. They're also not "allusions", it's outright statements that this is in response to/revenge for French interventions in Syria. The other clause, meanwhile, is plainly about contextualizing French interventions as being a new Crusade against all Muslims. This is entirely in keeping with ISIS's particular worldview, but it's also not some kind of "they hate us for being sexual libertines" or whatever culture-war poo poo.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jastiger posted:

Are you saying that its impossible to have a culture that doesn't have religion intertwined into its laws, mores, and norms? And I don't mean just cultural references, but having a position of authority?

Are you familiar with the notion of a "civil religion"?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jastiger posted:

Yes! Its also something that can and has been very damaging to the American political fabric. A bit off topic but I would guess that a lot of the arguments liberal atheists have against Christianity and Islam also apply to civil religion.

How do you propose to eliminate mythmaking, ceremony, heroification, and monumentalism from the world?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jastiger posted:

Well the best inoculation is a good education with a strong liberal arts focus for context. I'm not saying we can abolish all of this, I'm only saying that if we make decisions based on these myths, or use them to influence our reality, its bad epistemology. We make bad policy when we do that. Just like in Christianity and Islam, and to be critical of that isn't to be a X-ophobe. You don't hate America if you point out it was built on slavery, for example.

On the other hand, when Abraham Lincoln used the mythological understanding of the United States of America, when the abolitionists used the mythological understanding of America, when the suffragists used the mythological understanding of America, when the Tian An Men Square protesters used the mythological understanding of America, they may have been using "bad epistemology", but we can surely not condemn them as inherently faulty or wrongheaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jastiger posted:

They were using bad epistemology, sure. But people aren't robots and there is a place for that which is why I said you can't get rid of it. But if you rely on myth you get bad answers a lot of the time. There is no way to "self-check". Our best policies are those that rely on empirical analysis and view the effect of those policies rather than mythological special pleading.

Nobody relies purely on myth, on the other hand, so it's not something we have to worry about.

• Locked thread