Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Tei posted:

- Bacon is delicious. Are you guys mad?
- Sex is good, and getting married to have sex is stupid. Is best to have sex with a women before getting married because is possible that two people to not be sexually compatible. It will be sad to marry a women and be incompatible that way. But is easy avoidable.
- Your ideas about moral are not universal and probably are wrong. Don't be so full of yourself to try to force others to share your beliefs.
- I don't say womens are superior, or inferior, they are different, but they are humans. Because they are humans they are worthy of respect from everyone. All these rules havout threating womens worse is barbarism and dehumanizing.
- Theres nothing bad with being gay. If you don't like gays, don't be gay yourself, don't talk to gays or whatever. If your country have laws against gays, your country is a lovely hellholle and suck.
- Theres nothing bad with being atheist. If you don't like atheist, then gently caress yourself and don't be atheist yourself.
- No you don't own your childrens.
- No you don't own your daughter to sell her.
- No you don't own your wife. Is another person and if you are allowed to beat her, she is allowed to beat you, because she is a person like you are a person. Being male don't make you special.
- Europeans don't share your religion and beliefs, deal with it. We also think your religion is backwards and stupid, deal with it.
I'm honestly not sure if your original post came off as more or less of a schizophrenic rant than this.

quote:

Islamophobe is too big a word. It mean you "hate" islam or "fear" it. I just think is a stupid set of beliefs, thats much less strong than "hate". Anyway If somebody feel that way, and really hate islam, I don't think is a irrational thing to do.
Do you think Jews Muslims are a monolithic group stealing your money, children, etc. infiltrating Western nations for the explicit purpose of deposing secular governance in favor of Sharia jurisprudence? If yes, you are 100% an Islamophobe.

Do you think Roma Muslims are shifty, unscrupulous thieves seeking to steal your money murderers looking to kill all non-believers in the name of their god? If yes, you are assuredly an Islamophobe.

Do you think following a thousand-year old religious creed is silly and un-modern? Congrats! You're not an Islamophobe. Unless you want those adherents to that religious creed to immediately renounce their faith and flagellate themselves for being awful people for daring to follow a non-european religion. That may be a bit xenophobic.

Black Baby Goku posted:

I agree with this post.
Based on your posting history, you'd probably agree with any opinion to the right of /pol/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Wikia? Nice 'article', mereswine. Doesn't even have a bibliography at the bottom, just a couple citations from unscholarly sources. Doesn't argue anything, just goes "look at all this gross poo poo theocracies get up to!".

If you weren't arguing in bad faith, or are English-As-Second language and your poor argumentation is due to language issues, I would reccomend using more primary/secondary sources instead of glorified blogs (or even a scholarly sort of blog at the very least). Perhaps attempt to perform some sort of synthesis tying abuses by patriarchal governments to specific readings of the Koran or specific Islamic philisophical traditions?

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 26, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Just post a link to the wikipedia articles about the death penalty, the American carceral system, Abu Grahib and Guantanamo to show that so-called enlightened democracies can be equally barbaric.
I don't believe a tu quoque is a robust refutation attempts to associate the abuses and crimes of theocratic governments with the lay practitioners of a religion.

SedanChair posted:

Did you just call that guy a dolphin?

My original post called Tei a man but I didn't want to misgender them, so I went with the gender indicated on their profile.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Tei posted:

Wikipedia is the most popular wiki and is a encyclopedia, and is only natural that people see a wiki and asociate it with things like citations things and stuff you see in a encyclopedia. But this association is wrong. Not all wikis are encyclopedias, or need to be.

One of the reasons why I like wiki pages, is because everything in a wiki page is suspicious and can be wrong. You should never take anything in a wiki page at face value. You must use your brain and your rationalism to read a wiki page. To me this make a wiki more valuable than other resources. I hate how people take at face value things like what journalist say in TV or something in a book... just because is written in a book.

True, but Wikia != Wikipedia. Wikia tends to collect wikis that are populated by a handful of extremely myopic editors who fail to establish or follow any sort of policies regarding quality or bias. Whatever its faults, Wikipedia at least attempts to remain vaugely scholarly and provide clear citations of good sources, and its visibility attracts many, many editors.

The Wikia you linked in question is scarcely more than an indiscriminate collection of "religion bad!", mostly written by one contributor. Plus they show their bias on the front page, declaring two of the goals of the Wikia are to "Highlight the damage which religions can cause" and "Show the world the damage caused by Religion". Not exactly compelling stuff. Especially when they claim that "Liberal (read: European) Christianity is the least harmful religion".

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I really think it is when the dude's whole point is "we're better than them". Exposing people as concern trolls and hypocrites is pretty important.
I agree, but I'm operating under the questionable assumption that they're attempting to argue in good faith. Arguing poorly and in a manner that brings to mind my grandmother, but in good faith.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 27, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

I hate yankees posted:

Islamaphobia stems from the fact that there is a silent majority of non-extremists. Anytime there is a terrorist attack there should be millions of Muslims marching and getting attention that this is not exceptable. Because this does not often occur the narrative that these kinds of practices (terrorism) is acceptable floats among westerners.

Actually, they do. Often, actually.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Honestly, I'm not sure what Muslims could say to appease the militant xenophobes. Other than "I believe Jesus Christ to be the son of G-d, and denounce the false faith of Mohammad as a deception by the tempter Satan, and pledge myself to Christendom. All Muslims who do not convert are devils daring the skin of men; pass the hairshirt, I've got some flagellation to atone for the acts of terrorists whom I supported by not immediately converting to Chistianity to get to." of course.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

blowfish posted:

brown christians also get shat on by regressives so no

Yeah I forgot about the

quote:

:qq: "Daesh are killing Christians in Syria! We need to bomb them!"
:ohdear: "We've been bombing them for like six months now, but we should do more to help! Let's take in some refugees!"
:qq: "And let stealth Muslims into our country? loving LIEberal DemocRAT trying to destroy MY America with your voter importing scheme! Next up you'll try to take my guns, just like Hitler!"
-style crocodile tears.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Tei posted:

Do we agree a culture can be "bad"?

No, because "bad" is in dire need of qualification and is entirely too broad a word for any sort of discussion, save tepid moralization about and hypocritical condemnation of other cultures based on nebulous bellyfeels.

Do you mean:
  • "They (in the context of this topic, 'they' can be replaced with 'People born/living in the Middle East') don't follow the laws of my country"?
  • "Their governments do not respect individual rights/do not have robust liberties as much as I would like"?
  • "When I look at them, they make weird things happen in my tummy and I don't like how different they are!"? (This is my dearly departed grandparents' opinion of brown people they didn't know personally.)
  • "The Muselman culture is inherently violent and savage, prone to pedophilia and camel-philic bestiality as promoted by his religion and must be converted to Christianity or put to the sword by the defenders of Christendom in the next crusade for we cannot abide them to exist further"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I agree it is subjective to a point, but there has to be some point where we can say "you're closer to this faith or that faith" when analyzing view points.

:spergin: I'm sorry, you scored a 5.2 on the CHRISTSCALE, clearly you're not a real Christian. Records indicate your neighbor possesses an exceptional score of 2.1, ask him for the correct Christian viewpoints on things.

• Locked thread