Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Oh not at all. Once we've gotten the "are you a bigot" question out of the way, we can move on to "are you a sucker being manipulated by bigots."

For example, Ayaan Hirsi Ali passes the first test, but fails the second.

Whenever I hear self-styled leftists suggesting this(Ali is a simplistic dupe being manipulated) I have to wonder why we don't hear the same thing about those who aren't black women. I guess it's just easier to suggest that she just isn't up to the task of thinking for herself and is being directed by white men than it is to actually admit that she has a mind of her own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Woolie Wool posted:

Become a rented Negro and promote the subordination of black people through respectability politics and patronizing speeches.

I can think of at least one significant impediment to sedanchair taking that particular course of action.

Mandy Thompson posted:

Fundamentalism is a backlash against racism and colonialism. Daesh is a creation of western powers as was the Taliban.

Non-white people don't just stand around silently when there isn't a white person whose presence compels them to act. Fundamentalist movements in Islam predate colonialism and fundamentalist movements in modern history have emerged and developed in response to the internal social and political dynamics of Muslim countries that have nothing to do with the West. What sort of western imperialism were the Kharijites a response to?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Also, anti-LGBT persecution in Africa is hardly limited to Muslim-majority countries. Ever heard of God Loves Uganda?

Let's not engage in Christophobia, criticizing evangelical and pentecostal homophobia in Africa is just another display of colonialist white supremacy.

Tesseraction posted:

Remind me, what was the justification given by bin Laden for that attack? Do you remember?

Al Qaeda's declaration of war against the United States was explicitly grounded in Islamic religious tradition, specifically a hadith in which the Prophet supposedly banned infidels from the Arabian Peninsula. The stationing of American troops in Saudi Arabia was seen as a violation by the Saudi monarchy of that religious duty.

But since the real answer makes you look like foolish, I'm guessing you had a different (and incorrect) answer in mind.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pussy Cartel posted:

Every time conservatives and New Atheists bring up Islam not being a race, I'm reminded of how anti-Muslim activity always seems to get targeted at people who aren't Muslims at all, but are, coincidentally enough, brown-skinned.

But sure, it's not about race, it's just about culture. Obviously.

Yeah, remember that time Richard Dawkins got arrested for being that Sikh guy into a coma with a tire iron? Sick poo poo, man.

The simple reality is that there are those on the right who conflate religious and ethnic identity when criticizing Islam, and those on the left who confuse the two when defending Muslims.

INH5 posted:

For example, it is easy to look at US Evangelicals pushing schools to teach abstinence-only sex education and conclude that this wouldn't be an issue if Christianity didn't exist. It is considerably harder to say that after you take a look elsewhere and find out that China, one of the least religious countries in the world, has pretty much the exact same problem.

On the contrary it's well understood that all sorts of religious traditionalists are opposed to sex ed., and that goes the same for conservative Confucianism sublimated into the policy of a nominally atheistic and communistic state.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Isn't modern Japan extremely secular? It's sexist and xenophobic as hell.

Well, I'm convinced by the staggering amount of evidence you've brought to bear for your "the japanese are gross, for realz" thesis.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Or is it also somehow under the "secretly religious" umbrella because blah blah Shinto blah?

Are you aware that within living memory Japan's emperor was considered a living god and was an object of cult adoration during fascist rule? Because if you did not then you should probably not be accusing the dreaded "new atheists" of theological ignorance.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

Nobody is saying Islam is flawless, I don't get how you can come to this idea.

Obdicut posted:

Islam doesn't have any flaws

SedanChair posted:

But those are different criticisms. Saudi Arabia supports extremist militants throughout the region, but this is not inextricably tied to their domestic policies any more than our foreign policy is tied to acceptance of homosexuality, abortion and divorce.

Nonsense. The House of Saud's expansive support for its domestic religious establishment includes spending billions on proselytizing. Sending out Saudi-trained imams is part on attempt to create a religious rationale for their rule, just as the support of groups like the mutaween are.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

It's a pretty clear indictment of your bizarreness, given that there's huge areas of Islam where FGM is not practiced, and areas where Islam isn't where it is. It's not something that stems from Islam, it predates it, demonstrably.

You seem to have a thing for telling Muslims(among others) what they really believe. Despite the fact that most major schools of Islamic jurisprudence regard FGM as either a religious obligation or something sanctioned by Islam. Despite the fact that tens of millions of women and girls in countries where FGM is prevalent regard it as a religious obligation.

Weren't you trying to lecture the thread about how "there is no Islam", and therefore there are absolutely no flaws in Islam? Not that I'm disappointed to see an abandonment of such an incoherent position, but "there is One True Islam and I am the arbiter of what is and is not Islamic" doesn't seem an improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

Gods don't exist, Jastiger, it can't be true or untrue that they're the same god.

For gently caress's sake.

There's this game you're playing where you try to simultaneously insist that there is no such thing as 'Islam' so any claims anyone else makes about 'Islam' are a priori false while you also want to make your own sweeping and definitive claims about what Islam is or is not and I don't think you're doing it very convincingly so you should probably pick one or the other.

Also Superman doesn't exist but it's still true that Lex Luthor hates Superman.

• Locked thread