Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...campaign=buffer

Virginia man is applauded for screaming ‘every Muslim is a terrorist’ during public meeting on mosque expansion plans

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/18/hate-crimes-against-muslims-rise-in-us.html

Hate Crimes Against Muslims Rise In US
A new FBI report says hate crimes against Muslims are on the rise.
As Republican officials wring their hands about letting Muslim refugees in the country, hate crimes against Muslims in this country are actually on the rise in the U.S.

While number of hate crimes against Muslims is relatively small, it has gone up over the last year, according to new data the FBI released this week.

Hate crimes in all other categories went down; attacks on Muslims bucked the trend.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...da0c_story.html

Leading Candidates for president call for things such as a registry of Muslims, shutting down mosques, allowing in only Christian refugees, compared Muslims to dogs.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/right-wing-pundit-muslim-refugees-are-human-garbage

Pundits compare Muslim refugees to garbage

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/politics/paris-attacks-trump-carson-bush-muslims-refugees-mosques/

Muslim Americans: Current political climate worse than after 9/11

It was never this bad, not even after 9/11.

That's what many Muslims and Arab-Americans are saying about the tenor of comments made by presidential candidates on down to local officials about how to treat members of their community in the wake of ISIS' rampage in Paris last Friday.

Over the past week, GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump said he would consider compelling Muslims to register in "databases" and that some mosques might be shut; fellow Republican candidate Ben Carson compared some Syrian refugees to "rabid dogs," and Democrat David Bowers, mayor of Roanoke, Virginia, evoked the internment of Japanese in WWII to explain his anti-refugee policy.

"We are operating in an atmosphere of hysteria and fear," said Ibrahim Hooper, national communications director for the Council on American Islamic Relations. "I have never seen it like this, not even after 9/11."

Muslim and civil rights activists attribute the charged environment not only to the horrific attacks in France and 14 grinding years of the war on terror at home and abroad. They also blame it on the fact that the latest attacks come during a political campaign that dovetails with years of strife and inflammatory rhetoric on the immigration issue.

Today, with no one to unite the Republican Party and put a lid on its more outspoken elements, the loudest, and in some cases ugliest, voices are at times prevailing.

quote:

What the hell is wrong with us? I thought we were capable of being better than this. One violent incident (after hundreds of thousands of people in the middle east have been murdered by westerner's bombs and their drones) and we throw a massive parnoid tantrum, denying the Americanness and even humanity of American Muslims and falling in to the same trap we did with Jewish and Japanese during world war 2 with respect to Syrian refugees. It is truly heartbreaking to see more and more people defending this.

I think its critical we point out that people have been running around gunning down school children in mass, shooting up theaters, and pumping church folk of historically black churches full of led and no one bats an eye. Yet this legislation and hostility from our trusted leaders comes with so little hesitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
Its so depressing. As a white, American Christian woman, I am never asked to answer for Christian terrorists like Matt Hale or Eric Robert Rudolph, the KKK or The Army of God. I am never asked to justify my American-ness, or have to face insinuations that I am more loyal to England than the united states. I am appalled that the GOP is getting so much clout out of this. They have shown again and again that they are the party of the bigoted. Half of America seems to consistently vote for bigotry: homophobia and Islamophobia.

As someone who has dealt with hate myself, the Muslim community has my sympathies. If I wasn't living in a tiny apartment and facing homelessness I would open what home I have to a refugee.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

rudatron posted:

A weak organized left that has abandoned the working class as a foundation, in conjunction with a series of economic crises and failed recoveries ('jobless recoveries' are effectively failures). "Behind every fascism, there is a failed revolution".

Rather than think logically about the problems facing society, the path of least intelligence/greatest ignorance is to blame outsiders/'The Other'. Being inherently unknowable, it's very easy for them to appear monolithic and malicious, in the same way that you may see some threatening animal lurking in what is just a harmless shadow. Once this perspective is established, it is difficult to break, because of confirmation bias. You'll seek out what already confirms your suspicions and ignore those that contradict it. 'Muslims condemn paris attacks' Well that's just what they want us to think, secretly they support it, etc.

This is just one expression of the same problem you see throughout human history, one what will continue so long as people fail to love & understand each other unconditionally.

The fact that the main candidate being discussed here, Donald Trump, was able to transition seemlessly from degrading Mexicans to degrading Muslims should have been a tip-off about the psychology at play here.

Do you think there is any hope, long term?

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Absurd Alhazred posted:

While the title of this thread is "Islamophobia", it seems that the OP and several of the replies are very much focused on the US. Do you all want me to change the thread name to "Islamophobia in the US", in order to help newcomers realize this focus, or would you rather the discussion were more general?

the discussion can be more general. I posted US examples because they are in my backyard and I was thinking about them but Islamophobia anywhere is messed up

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
I worry at the growth of hate groups because even though Trump's chances are remote, he has changed the conversation, things that would have been unthinkable for a politician to propose are now merely controversial as Republicans try to trump Trump.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Black Baby Goku posted:

Honestly the concept of separate laws for separate religions is loving retarded.

Interesting you should mention that because Christian arbitration is a thing but no one bats an eye at it.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkfRkR1Pqag&feature=player_embedded

Hysteria as a sweedish church removes crosses and identifies direction of mecca to accomodate refugees that it is sheltering.

People are calling them bad Christians but I think they are greater than most. They talk of national pride. gently caress pride and gently caress nations too. These are people's lives at stake. There is one nation, the kingdom of God, and one people that matters, the proletariat of all the world, God's people. Muslims are our neighbors and they are children of God just like everyone.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave[a] nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, Matthew 5:43-44

34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 Anda second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 22:34-40

Why is this such a ubiquitous attitude? Major presidential candidates are calling for registration and religious tests for refugees with zero consequences.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Flowers For Algeria posted:

We need to string up the last pastor with the entrails of the last imam.

Oh come on

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Do you think that organized religion is cool and good, or do you agree that it is a net evil and that its promoters should be cleansed?

You are painting us all with a pretty broad brush there.

And cleansed? Who is the real villain here?

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

You can't really make an omelet without breaking a few priests, I'm afraid.
Joking aside - religion is a major source of conservatism in this world and a lot more should be done to combat its evil influence, including ridiculing it, desacralizing it, breaking its taboos, and so on. Of course all this should begin at home, this is not a call to persecute the religious worldwide.

No one's hands are clean. You are not enlightened because you an atheist. The issue of conservatism isn't a religious one. It is an issue of authoritarian personalities being drawn to things that let them bully. Plenty of awful things in this world are completely secular, including conservatism. Ayn Rand is completely secular, even anti-religious.

Religion is more than a set of beliefs, it is part of people's cultural and ethnic heritage. How about instead of vilifying Islam, you vilify the western powers who are arming and funding these assholes that are creating the refugee problem in the first place.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Wales Grey posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure what Muslims could say to appease the militant xenophobes. Other than "I believe Jesus Christ to be the son of G-d, and denounce the false faith of Mohammad as a deception by the tempter Satan, and pledge myself to Christendom. All Muslims who do not convert are devils daring the skin of men; pass the hairshirt, I've got some flagellation to atone for the acts of terrorists whom I supported by not immediately converting to Chistianity to get to." of course.

Then, not that that would help, they would proceed to get gunned down while worshiping in a church by a militant xenophobe anyway with "mental problems" who is definitely not a terrorist.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Cat Mattress posted:

Brown and black Christians are often assumed to be Muslims by racists anyway.

Case in point: Barack Obama

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Black Baby Goku posted:

I can think of way worse things than racism and colonialism happening in the Middle East.

Fundamentalism is a backlash against racism and colonialism. Daesh is a creation of western powers as was the Taliban.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
Western Culture amazing and the greatest thing to happen to the human race according to Western Culture

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

SlipUp posted:

I heard about the Colorado Springs shooting today. I haven't read or watched anything, but I find it disturbing no Christians have condemned the attack. Apparently It might not have been specifically targeting PP, but that white dude is definitely a Christian and those crazy extremists think their enemies are going to burn for eternity and that the bible advocates violence in the name of their god, whatever that was.

I condemn the attack.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

SlipUp posted:

Easy enough for you to say under complete anonymity. Isn't true that you could just lie to my face and your god will forgive you later?

You are being really presumptuous about who I am and what I believe. This is the same callousness and sanctimony I started the thread to condemn. Nothing justifies murder and I believe in the right of women to bodily autonomy whether that be for an abortion, for birth control, or for changing their gender presentation. I am also a devout Christian who believes that we are all children of God. To me, there is such a thing as corporate sin, the collective sins of patriarchy and white supremacy.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

SlipUp posted:

That's cool. I was making a mockery of Islamophobes by applying the same criticisms they level against Islam on to Christianity, hoping to shock them into the revelation of how bullshit it is. I don't think any Christian should feel like they need to specifically condemn this one incident, or that a particular regressive branch of Christianity is representative of all Christians. Sorry if I got ya riled up.

ah sorry, i completely missed that.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Potential BFF posted:

The same criticisms of Islam apply to Christianity in America because they're both irredeemable garbage and preach poison. The current stream of right wing drivel getting barfed up about Islam is applicable to the Mike Huckabee crowd. The believers are pretty much just distinguishable from the taliban by their weight.

That is a really ugly and bigoted thing to say. I am not right wing, in fact I am a communist. My church took me in when I came out of the closet as a lesbian. I am going through homelessness now and my pastor is helping to connect me to the right people. We're participating in the black lives matter protest too.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Panzeh posted:

Churches are Nazi party HQs in the US- a disloyal fifth column working to destroy America. The preist class has historically been fascist as gently caress and should be liquidated, but we won't do it.

I mean, just look at the entire notion of one god and no other. It's incompatible with democracy.

With all due respect, gently caress you.

I am either getting crap on christian forums for being a heretic and a sodomite or I am getting it here for believing in God and therefore I must be a Nazi.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

RACHET posted:

He's gay so let's throw him off a building and then stone him to death after his legs are broken.

An enlightened output from Middle Eastern Culture.

He's gay so let's forcibly put him into a mental hospital and carve pieces of his brain out.

He saved us from the Nazi's you say? He knows too much then.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Is this a joke? Are you from /pol/

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
To me, secularism means being neutral with respect to religion. People should have the freedom to decide for themselves what house gives them comfort provided that that house doesn't violate the rights of others.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

For those who say Donnald Trump doesn't represent the modern GOP. Members of my religion have committed more attacks in the US. You don't see people banning them.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/ohio-seventh-grader-threatened-to-use-dads-gun-to-shoot-muslim-boy-he-called-son-of-isis/

Of the boys father is letting him mess around with guns, he is probably the sort of defective who airs racist bullshit in front of his kids.

He should go to an alternative school for a while. We can't condone this kind of behavior and other students need to be protected from this violent bully.

And if it was the parents that taught him that, then they can deal with the consequences too. They should be investigated to make sure they aren't abusing him or teaching him hate.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
Its not because they invoke god. Its Because religion is often a fundamental part of someone's cultural and ethnic heritage. The notion of religion being a choice is a very western idea. Westerners are often confused when they hear terms like atheist Muslim or atheist jew.

More over, many religions do not feature a god but are still treated respectfully.

Islam is not beyond criticism but criticism should be made diplomatically and with appropriate sensitivity. Often "criticism is just fancy bullying.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

VitalSigns posted:

Well sure, if your actual problem is homophobia and your critique is intended to advocate reform of the teachings of some Islamic sects and the legal systems of some Islamic countries that's not a problem, but some people use that criticism as an excuse for bigotry.

Which is why I want to point out a couple of things here. One, there is no monolithic Islam, it's a religion of 1.6 billion people with many different sects over a large part of the globe and includes countries like Indonesia, Turkey, and Bosnia where homosexuality is 100% legal. On the other hand, you have Christian countries like Uganda, Ethiopia, and Russia where homosexuality is severely punished yet rarely do you hear people blaming a nebulous monolithic Christianity for this. Hell, even in the United States, several states still have laws against homosexuality on the books and only the federal government restrains state authorities from enforcing them.

Two, gay rights weren't won in the west by attacking anyone's religion or saying Christianity is incompatible with modernity or anything like that. The gay rights movement didn't come out swinging against Christianity telling people their religion was the problem, because attacking people's religion isn't the way to get them to listen to you. LGBT people treated Christians as individual people with independent minds and appealed to them with out common humanity, that gay people are people too, that they're your neighbors, relatives, and friends and that homophobia was doing very real harm to ordinary people just like them. And that worked, a lot of Christians reevaluated what they'd been taught and reconciled their faith with their new realization that gay people aren't demonic perverts waiting in the shadows. Lumping them all together and saying "well your religion is wrong and you need to change it" probably wouldn't have been as effective and would have given ammunition to the conservatives who claim gay people are just out to fight Christianity.

Do I mind if I paraphrase this and quote it elsewhere?

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

GyroNinja posted:

I'm the >5% of Republicans who think that banning Muslims goes against everything our country stands for, but want to do it anyway.

Why?

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

:(

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Shoren posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when did Trump say anything about exiling, what I assume to be, American citizens because of their religion? I can make up with a hundred heartbreaking stories about children misinterpreting the news just to tug on your heartstrings.

Furthermore, what obligation does the United States have to accept any and all people wishing to immigrate? Because of an inscription on a statue? Do we have to remain beholden to the values of an era gone by when it may not be practical to operate under those same principles?

People have been saying the US is full since long before that statue was built. It's bullshit.

Trump is pandering to nativitist racism. It's riling up his supporters to feel confident and bold into being overt racists even though trump is not going to win.

Mandy Thompson fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 15, 2015

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

If that is what you got from my post then I wasn't clear. Christianity is just as stupid and harmful and everything I said about Islam applies to Christianity as well.
I take issue with that. Christianity has made a huge difference in my life and I imagine Islam makes a difference in other people's lives

Our religion is part of our ethnic and cultural heritage. These things are not the product of our religions. Religion only forms the language and justification that bad people use to be bad, it isn't the reason why people are bad. People can use the language of secularism to be bad.I've seen homophobic and racist atheists who justify it with perversions of science.

What it comes down to is people with authoritarian personalities being drawn to extremist ideologies. These people may have been raised Muslim but they aren't raised to be wahabists.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Shoren posted:

Furthermore, what obligation does the United States have to accept any and all people wishing to immigrate? Because of an inscription on a statue? Do we have to remain beholden to the values of an era gone by when it may not be practical to operate under those same principles?

Seeing as we are supplying bombs and trucks and guns to the rebels and our stuff has a habit of falling in to the hands of ISIS I am going to say we have a strong obligation to take in most of the Syrian refugees. As does Russia who is backing Assad.

We also have a habit of sticking our noses in the middle east, supporting dictators and bombing the poo poo out of it or backing people who do it for us, whether we have a legitimate reason to or not. This is all done in the name of our national interests. We should take on the cost of our own actions.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

As to the rest of your post, you're right, bad people can be bad absolutely with any motivation. But if you get rid of the normalization of faith based laws and norms it becomes WAY harder to act out on it. Look at how quick Christians are to ostracize the Westboro Baptists for example. WBB aren't wrong. They aren't according to the Bible. Everyone else has moved on and marginalizes them for the most part. Yet they can still exist tax free and not be held to a higher standard because they have cover for their faith from the more moderate people.

That is REALLY debatable though this is not an appropriate venue for it.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

So you have no grounds to condemn Westboro Baptist as not Christian and it all remains garbage. Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh they're totally Christian, just not representative. I define a Christian by self-identification and some belief in an interpretation of the teachings of Christ Jesus. We can't say that they aren't but I can say that piety is no excuse for abhorrent behavior.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Baloogan posted:

Westboro Baptists have killed zero people.

That's true. Westboro has not done those thing. Other christian extremists have done things such as bomb the olympics and abortion clinics. They have attacked gay bars and committed hate crimes against gay people. They have performed assasinations and been involved in right wing coups. American Evangelicals have convinced governments in Africa to make being gay a death penalty crime. The have also provided material support to death squads in south america and truly psychotic african warlords.

But no, the Westboro Baptists just picket funerals and sue people who fight back

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Potential BFF posted:

Since no one has a time machine I'm pretty sure the Renaissance is safe. In the mean time we can all appreciate the contemporary contributions to humanity religion is providing us such as:

Since religion is indeed just a lovely cultural aspect, it can, has, and should be stamped out so we have one less barrier to addressing reality and the problems that exist in reality.

Hope

It's given me Hope

And a free meal at times when I was broke as poo poo, homeless, and suffering abuse

Also a network of other people whose shoulder I can cry on.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

PT6A posted:

Are you considering suing them, or is that something you reserve for women's shelters?

They reached out an helped me while a woman's shelter called me a man and told me to get lost.

And thanks for reminding me to get back in touch with my lawyers on that one.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Recoome posted:

The thread title probably should be "Why my hatred of Islam is justified"

Exactly, we're in a situation where the actions of a small number are used to justify hate crimes and denying admission to refugees, which feeds perfectly into ISIL's narrative that the west is at war with Islam.

Why this seems like a good time to bring out the gently caress you Dad, edgelord "all religions are bullshit, ban all religions" when people are getting shot at for wearing a hijab is beyond me.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
As an ex atheist I hope I was never this bad. You seem to be asserting that religion is always toxic. I want to point out that while the "nones" are growing the majority of the world's population find solace in their faith. We don't go up blowing up s***, not even a majority of us. Not even a small minority really, its a tiny tiny minority.

I'm sorry that religion hasn't been kind to you. My first contact with Christianity was through a chick tracts so you could imagine that my experiences with it were pretty hostile growing up. I would say I was deeply hurt by Christianity. But then I guess you could say the Holy Spirit found me. I wasn't expecting it to happen. If you'd asked me a few years ago if I would ever become a Christian I would have laughed in your face.

But there's power here there's a power that can't really be explained adequately. To me it seems that imprinted on all of us is a notion of God or gods. Once I discovered that First Baptist Church of Jacksonville is not all of Christianity, that there are many many people of faith that are weird and artistic and open minded and caring and willing to sacrifice expecting nothing in return.

Upon learning That you can be a person of faith and not be a right wing authoritarian jackass, that there was a deep need within my soul for faith, Upon learning that theology could be liberating and not just dominating, That the gospel really is the good news, the choice for my spiritual path became clear. Other people's spiritual paths take them elsewhere and that's ok. Not only are there very different ways to be a Christian, there are many different ways to be a good person, there are many different ways to be rational and thoughtful and wise.

Right now what I'm seeing from some of the edge Lord atheists in this thread, is a sort of sanctimony that I usually see from fundamentalist assholes. I started this thread to deal with a very heartbreaking human tragedy, and backlash against people who have nothing, who did nothing to deserve this treatment. Why you think this is a good time to pontificate on the evils of the Islamic faith shows an intense insensitivity to the feelings of others.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

khwarezm posted:

First off, can we establish that said interviews represent what the majority of the fighters among ISIL think?

Second, assuming it does, so what? Most people don't know much about their religions, but that doesn't mean they aren't sincere about their belief. That they are uninformed is a nice idea that they are straying away from some platonic ideal, but do we if that really makes a bit of difference in the end? Al Baghdadi seems well informed given his background and education, while the authorities in countries ranging from Iran to Saudi Arabia to Sudan are also, I presume, well informed about Islam but it doesn't stop them from regularly performing gross human rights violations in its name.

And you claimed that the IRA proved that wrong by not launching suicide terrorist attacks, to which I pointed out that it is way less truly religious in nature compared to groups that do, like ISIS.

Could you give me some examples of atheists turning away legitimate criticism of Islam that comes from people of Muslim background? I was reading about a lady named Maryam Namazie who caused a major stir recently at a talk about secularism in Goldsmith College that saw a bit of a stand off with the college's Muslim Students Union. Somebody took a youtube video of it apparently. She also was going to give a talk in my college actually, but pulled out when security wanted to put some major restrictions on her talk. They also wanted a moderator and somebody to provide a counter argument to avoid offense, but she pointed out that other potentially controversial speakers, like Norman Finkelstein and Kamal El Mekki, didn't have to put up with that kind of thing and pulled out.

The interesting thing to me was that I saw a lot of criticism directed at her from my other leftist (mostly christian) friends, because she was perceived to be concentrating too much on Islam and being excessively harsh and uncompromising in her rhetoric. The thing is the language she seemed to use didn't seem like it would get any eyes batted at her if she was talking about Christianity or Judaism, and I would have thought that since she was speaking from a background of experience it made sense that she would talk mostly about Islamism.

Incidents like that make me wonder when legitimate criticism, even from people of Muslim backgrounds, can be voiced because I get this overriding impression that well-intentioned leftists are the ones too willing to throw critics of Islam from Muslim backgrounds under the bus compared to somebody like Bill Maher and talking to people from Secular or Ex-Muslim backgrounds they sometimes say that as well.

E; Here's the video, she had on her blog, excuse the dumb title and dear god don't read the comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ZiZdz5nao

None of this criticism appears in a vaccum, it appears in a social context where predominantly Muslim countries were and continue to be attacked in unprovoked wars of aggression, regime changing and self serving attempts to "civilize them", imperialist and colonial exploitation, contempt for their rights as human beings by the west, hypocritical support for right wing dictators by major powers. And let's not forget missionaries and the crusades.

Anything perceived as western is tainted by this context. And criticism no matter how justified, supported or well meaning is going to pour salt on an open wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2015/12/16/wheaton-illinois-suspends-hijab-wearing-professor

A Christian teacher was suspended for wearing a hijab in solidarity with her Muslim neighbors. The school says it's really for her making a post where she said that Muslims and Christians worship the same God on her personal Facebook. This is absurd because that is objectively true. I'm not sure what business or employer has punishing her for stating facts

• Locked thread