Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

It doesn't help in passing legislation, but if SCOTUS can be tilted then it's worth it.

My secret hope for this election is that trump is nominated, and then loses in the general - it'll turn an interesting election into a referendum on what are American Values or whatever, and Trump's nativism will get decisively crushed. If trump is denied the nomination, and rubio loses, the racist/fascist wing will only go into overdrive.

I kind of feel like they will go into overdrive no matter what happens at this point. I had been inclined to think "let the nuts have their day and get it over with" but I am not sure what the mechanism would be to cause it to be "over with" just because Trump made it to the general and lost. These freaks aren't going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
As soon as somebody who isn't a repugnant bigot starts complaining about Sharia, I'll start listening.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

that's multiculturalism (social mixing) and its a spectacular failure.

"Other cultures get to survive"="multiculturalism is a failure"

Also I suspect that in your case the term "social mixing" is a thin disguise for "race mixing."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

That only works when complaining about sharia doesn't automatically make you consider someone a repugnant bigot, hth.

Oh not at all. Once we've gotten the "are you a bigot" question out of the way, we can move on to "are you a sucker being manipulated by bigots."

For example, Ayaan Hirsi Ali passes the first test, but fails the second.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

Whenever I hear self-styled leftists suggesting this(Ali is a simplistic dupe being manipulated) I have to wonder why we don't hear the same thing about those who aren't black women. I guess it's just easier to suggest that she just isn't up to the task of thinking for herself and is being directed by white men than it is to actually admit that she has a mind of her own.

People of any race who go to work for the American Enterprise Institute are dupes. Or bigots.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

It is really cool to think your way of thinking is the moral authority on the matter.

Moral authority like this?

Black Baby Goku posted:

It's not fit for western society. Let it stay in tribal third world hellholes.

Like this?

Black Baby Goku posted:

that's multiculturalism (social mixing) and its a spectacular failure.

Maybe only certain "types," with certain "credentials," get to have moral authority.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

An Enormous Boner posted:

Is the cognitive dissonance getting strong enough yet? We're talking about an insane repressive God-ordained system.

Is this more moral authority? Where can I apply to get some of it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

DeusExMachinima posted:

Forget arbitration. How the gently caress are you going to accomplish this without straight banning any exercise of "traditional" and/or "conservative" religious beliefs of most any kind?

It's surprisingly easy, just claim that you support doing that too. Then, don't actually support it!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

Islamophobe is too big a word. It mean you "hate" islam or "fear" it. Anyway If somebody feel that way, and really hate islam, I don't think is a irrational thing to do.

That approach was played out when homophobes complained about being called homophobes. And if you're trying to say that people who complain about Islam aren't utterly terrified of it: :lol:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Wales Grey posted:

Wikia? Nice 'article', mereswine. Doesn't even have a bibliography at the bottom, just a couple citations from unscholarly sources. Doesn't argue anything, just goes "look at all this gross poo poo theocracies get up to!".

If you weren't arguing in bad faith, or are English-As-Second language and your poor argumentation is due to language issues, I would reccomend using more primary/secondary sources instead of glorified blogs (or even a scholarly sort of blog at the very least). Perhaps attempt to perform some sort of synthesis tying abuses by patriarchal governments to specific readings of the Koran or specific Islamic philisophical traditions?

Did you just call that guy a dolphin?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
After the "new atheists," I think I super can say that there is no correlation between religion and conservative or reactionary ideologies.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Well that is absurd.
A minor trend of conservative thought in a very conservative and racist country doesn't disprove worldwide tendencies, SedanChair.

Worldwide tendencies like Christianity in Europe? They've managed to shed their conservatism well enough.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

religions are bad as a propagating source of magical thinking

They do not lose out to nationalism in that regard, however.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I hate yankees posted:

Islamaphobia stems from the fact that there is a silent majority of non-extremists. Anytime there is a terrorist attack there should be millions of Muslims marching and getting attention that this is not exceptable. Because this does not often occur the narrative that these kinds of practices (terrorism) is acceptable floats among westerners.

The argument that Muslims died in a terrorist attack is also silly because everyone knows that Sunni and Shia Muslims hate one another, and the assumption people make is that they're the "wrong" kind of Muslim according to the terrorist.

Another fear stemming from terrorism is that anyone - man, woman, or even a child - could be a terrorist. It is terrifying to think that someone could take advantage of a child in a such a way. This dehumanizes Muslims greatly because people no longer view them as "people", which is why I think there is a large backlash against the Syrian refugees.

There was also a survey done after the Charlie hebdo attacks that cited a large percentage of Muslims would not carry out a terrorist attack but sympathized and understood why the terrorist did what they did. The percentage is irrelevant because westerners see that as supporting terrorism.

There's also that whole shariah law thing, which anjem choudry doesn't help stem that very much.

I take it that when you say they are "not marching" you mean that they are not marching in your living room, and holding open your eyelids so you cannot smugly ignore it.

e: Jesus Christ every SINGLE time there is a terrorist attack in the west Syrians, who totally have nothing better to do, have massive social media campaigns with a bunch of people in besieged villages holding up hand-printed banners that say "we condemn this" :fuckoff:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

Thanks computers parts. This is obviously not black and white. And hating a religion enterilly based on what one part do is very flawed.

Is this foggy-minded Ben Carson voter lingo for "I lied and slandered millions of people"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

Islam is a bad religion

Is there a better one?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

My opinions are stupid, ignorant and uneducated. I already given mine about this subject, so I will not offend the cool people in this thread more by repeating them again. Looks upthread about my opinion about what you ask. I will not repeat myself.

Your posting is largely incoherent, so I have not managed to discern an answer to my question from your previous posts. Answer my question directly: is there a better religion than Islam?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

If you say that western culture is stupid, I will not feel like you insulted me. But I will give you reasons why I think you are wrong.

Western culture is very flawed at the moment, consumism and corporativism, you are not a citizen, but a customer. Avoiding trouble more important than facing problems.
Is not without his problems.

Western culture is somewhat like my car. You can say my car is ugly, I will probably agree, or maybe not. If you insult my car, you are not insulting me.

The implications is that you have to pay attention to the poo poo that make life better for human beings and the things that make life poo poo. Stuff like womens equality.

Why women equality is cool? because smart people is cool, smart people build cool poo poo. If you have 50% of the population stuck away from laboratories and workplaces, they don't have the opportunity to shine. So you have people that can contribute to technology, science, art or culture away from doing that. By having women equality, society progress faster to cool stuff. This is cool. Women equality is cool.

The implications is that you have to look at every culture, see what make the life of people better or worst. Everything that help people is cool.

Are you afraid to answer my question?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

Europeans where better at killing other people because we quickly learned that religion is a dead end. If you want cool poo poo, you must invest in science. Separate state and religion and put the turbo in engineering.

These american natives where killing each another when the europeand paid a visit. The europeans where better, because they had a more cooler culture that paid attention to science and engineering. Better weapons, better doctors, better ships.

Is there a religion better than Islam?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

I have already given you a answer. But you was not happy because It involved scrolling on your browser window, maybe visiting the past page of posts.

So here the one you want. For you.

Christianism seems better than Islam.

I am not expert in religions, so maybe I will get you wrong, hope you can correct me If I make a mistake.

It seems gays are tolerated in the christian religion I think the Pope recently said something about that.

If anything, it seems the line with gays is more tolerant than with islam.

Again, correct me If I am wrong. Thanks for your post. Sorry If I make mistakes in mine.

You have an odd blend of confidence in your ability to make sweeping declarations about broad cultural forces, and total half-heartedness and cowardice when pressed for details. Have you considered running for President?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

If we're putting forth suggestions for "religions better than Islam" I'd like to nominate Sikhs. They're a pretty chill bunch of dudes, with an excellent history of equality for women, do not view science as anathema (their creation myth is pretty much the Big Bang) and as a plus for bigots look enough like Muslims that you can kick the poo poo out of them if you have a hard time spotting Muslims.

It wasn't a general request, I am trying to pin down Tei's thinking. But there's nothing for it, I'm afraid.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

It does not look like Tei was making an informed reference to that term.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Would you like to use your rite-aid rewards card?"

"Why so I can CEDE CULTURAL VICTORY TO DAESH?!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You're praying too much: a criticism that looks totally valid coming from Americans

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

It's really amazing seeing people recycle the same horseshit racial and ethic hatred over and over, it's the biggest damnation of the information and social networking age that even in 2015 people can relive 1800's anti-Chinese/irish/whatever, 1930's anti-Semitism, 1950's Racism, cold war anti-Russian, and the cycle keeps repeating. I will say this and I will keep repeating it, the current climate of hate and insanity against american citizens who's chosen faith is islam in the US has been aided and abetted by unrestrained propagation of the media and entertainment industry against arabs and muslims in general. What we're seeing today Is the natural result of decades of political propagation and agenda driven targeting of muslims by the news cycles and Hollywood, who have gotten away with things they could've never gotten away with had their targets been African American or American jews.

It's really unbelievable that a political frontrunner can spout what he's spouting in 2015 and not be immediately put away as a dangerous throwback, the fact that there's even a DEBATE is a huge political setback for the united states as a functional society.

I'm more worried than I have ever been about targeting of a minority in this country, all signs point to an uptick in vigilantism and targeted killing very soon.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Farage is always scrupulous to use dogwhistles and act like he has no ill will towards immigrants, only towards the policies of their countries of origin. That's what people are missing when they compare Trump to Farage or to Reagan's "states rights" speech or even George Wallace--that stuff is or was all in code, whereas Trump's rhetoric is naked enough for the dumbest racist to understand. Trump's cunning ascertained that he could dominate right-wing media simply by casting off the trappings of coded language.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, shadow puppet masters CAIR with their vast influence in politics and the media

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mandy Thompson posted:

For those who say Donnald Trump doesn't represent the modern GOP. Members of my religion have committed more attacks in the US. You don't see people banning them.

It's the same as the anti-Chinese sentiment of the 19th century. Whites can behave as badly as they want and nobody thinks it reflects on them as a whole, because the country is "for" them. Peoples who the country is not "for" need to be on their best behavior.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Context is what should keep you from it. I would love to criticize Saudi Arabia's restrictions on women, but that's tactically and ethically inappropriate right now because it will just be lumped in with all the bigoted rhetoric. And that's unfortunate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

People who hate Muslim immigrants will probably do so anyways, but it is made worse by their ignorance of why Muslims (from the Middle East) come to the United States and Europe. One reason is that those countries are intolerant, regressive places with few opportunities to go anywhere in life. Or they're in the midst of sectarian-religious civil war. I don't see what good comes from denying this.

Like I said, it probably won't change many minds. But I think we should at least attempt to get Islamophobes to understand what they're saying when they talk about why Muslim immigrants should "go back to where they came from." Those immigrants, in many cases, have no place to go back to. It would hopefully encourage some empathy for the refugees, because it also empathizes with the nativists' fear of Islamic terrorism, which is not entirely crazy; though it mostly is.

I'm always happy to point out the war and repression that refugees are fleeing from. That's what I'll talk about, not the Saudi religious police or driving laws.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

But Saudi Arabia also incubates and exports religious extremism into war-torn countries. It's not a coincidence Saudis make up the largest single group of ISIS suicide bombers.

If the establishment parties in the Western world don't dare mention these facts, you'll get a Donald Trump or Le Pen who will and they'll do it through alarmist messages.

But those are different criticisms. Saudi Arabia supports extremist militants throughout the region, but this is not inextricably tied to their domestic policies any more than our foreign policy is tied to acceptance of homosexuality, abortion and divorce.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

That doesn't make any sense. Daesh practices sexual slavery which is endemic in many parts of the muslim world.
By your reasoning, this means that it's a "mainstream" islamic view?

By your reasoning, sex slavery is particularly Islamic, and by correct reasoning it is not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

Nonsense. The House of Saud's expansive support for its domestic religious establishment includes spending billions on proselytizing. Sending out Saudi-trained imams is part on attempt to create a religious rationale for their rule, just as the support of groups like the mutaween are.

I suppose that's fair. Which makes it all the more frustrating that it is inappropriate to comment on their domestic policies at this time.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

I don't see what good it does to point out examples of non-religious shitiness. I don't think anyone's claiming that religion is the sole source of all bad things. The fact that homophobia, for example, occurs in irreligious culture and/or for non-religious regions doesn't invalidate the idea that it could also come from or be exacerbated by religious beliefs.

It could be, but there is no evidence of it. Homosexuality and women's rights have been almost universally deplored and punished with death throughout history. We are living in a sliver of time where a small part of the world believes otherwise. It seems premature to draw any conclusions about why that is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think this whole thread is an overblown circlejerk.

Terroriats are muslim, why posters be trying to gussy things up with a bit of lipstick on a pig?

As Ted Cruz said last night, "all horse thieves are Democrats, but not all Democrats are horse thieves."

You and he (like the soul brothers you are) are making an implication of mistaken reasoning however, because many terrorists are Christian. In fact, with the pace of hate crimes against Muslims in this country increasing it'll soon be easy to say that most terrorists are Christian.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Obdicut posted:

Oh, so it happens to be a dominant idea but people think it's immoral and wrong. How does that work in your brain?

You are obnoxious.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Anyone seen this?

So a geography teacher asks students to copy some Islamic calligraphy as part of homework. Everyone's parents :siren: poo poo THEMSELVES :siren: and all 23 schools are shut down in Augusta County, Virginia as a security precaution.

I am not making this up.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/18/us/virginia-school-shut-islam-homework/index.html

Let's just say what is forbidden, and what the CNN coverage is dancing around: the schools have been closed because of Christian terrorism threats. Christians have been threatening to kill the teacher and her students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think NPR goes with "the group calling itself the Islamic State" sometimes, so you can be sure that's the pentagon backchannel-approved formulation.

e: also, cute backhanded refusals to call a group by its name have more punch when you actually stand a chance of defeating them.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 25, 2015

• Locked thread