Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

What the heck

Gun is a 2005 revisionist open-world Western game developed by Neversoft - the mighty brains behind the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series, and all the bad Guitar Hero games. It follows the tale of Colton White, a hired gun for a Missouri steamboat line, thrust into a wide-ranging tale of revenge involving some Spanish gold or something.

The game follows the Grand Theft Auto format, in which you hop on the nearest available horse and ride from questgiver to questgiver, doing odd jobs and earning money. It has a rudimentary upgrade system with a series of stats that improve the effectiveness of your basic actions. Stats increase by completing side missions, and believe me there will be a lot of side missions.

Gun has a fairly good Western story, and some fantastic voice acting, featuring Thomas Jane, Kris Kristofferson, Ron Perlman, and Lance Henriksen among others. It's a pretty charming ride, despite the technical glitches and poor optimization of the Steam port. Regardless, I have fond memories of this game, and am looking forward to rediscovering it.

So how's this going to work?

In a word: Casually. I'll be streaming a couple of hours of this every Saturday and posting updates pretty much uncut. Co-commentators will include whoever happens to hop into the call. The game is really just a bunch of shootin and ridin and questin, so I figure it'll be a pretty relaxed informal atmosphere. I will, however, be showing off as much of the game as possible, and will endeavour to be a bit informative from time to time.

Enough talk, let's get to the videos

1. Said the three-legged dog in the saloon "I'm lookin fer the man what shot my paw."
2. You don't eat a cow like that all at once
3. Rode hard and put away wet
4. Con sarn it where's muh dang cornbread

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Neversoft, the brains behind MDK? :cmon: Neversoft only did the PSX port, the actual game was a Shiny Entertainment joint with Dave Perry at the helm.

Retro game sperging aside, this should be interesting. Gun is one of those games I always meant to play but never got around to doing so for whatever reason.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see a Wild West-themed Shiny game.
Anyway, I played this back when it was the only real way to scratch the Western itch on the PC and while I wouldn't call it exactly great, it's a interesting little piece; sadly the GTA comparions kind of falls short because you can't really just go, cause havoc and watch the world around you collapse.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I played this game a long, long time ago on the Gamecube, I enjoyed it for the most part, and there's not a lot I can say until the videos get going as I don't remember an awful lot. :v:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Neversoft, the brains behind MDK? :cmon: Neversoft only did the PSX port, the actual game was a Shiny Entertainment joint with Dave Perry at the helm.

Retro game sperging aside, this should be interesting. Gun is one of those games I always meant to play but never got around to doing so for whatever reason.

Eh heh heh whoops you're right, I did bad research. Fixed in the OP for posterity.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gun is more like pocket-sized Red Dead Redemption complete with bullet time, hunting, gambling sidequests and a horse ranch. It's all there, but very tiny.
This game's way to access the cheat mode is ridiculous, however.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
I loved this game when it came out. Mostly for powersliding my horse into wolves, which never gets old.
Anyway. Odd history infodump incoming!

Brothel Tokens

These were actually a real thing! You'd buy one from the barman or madam at the cathouse, and give it to the young lady once business was concluded. She'd give it back to the house and get paid minus their cut of the proceeds. That way the girls had no chance to hold any cash back - but in exchange they were able to keep any gratuities they earned.
Tokens like this have been in use for millennia - they've found examples from both ancient Rome and Imperial China.

(The one in the bottom left is my favourite, because I'm not sure if the beans are an extra or an alternative.)

The ones in the picture could well be modern copies, by the way - they're a popular piece to sell to tourists.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I remember playing this when it came out all those years ago. I think it was fun. Should be interesting to see.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cue effortposts about pepper-pot guns.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I just hope this doesn't mean Skippy's given up on Viva Pinata.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Those are some interesting graphical glitches you've got going on. Or maybe they're not glitches at all and this game is in fact an acid western. :lsd:

I might pick up the 360 version if I find it for cheap, this looks pretty fun so far despite the glitches and general PS2 action gameyness.

edit: holy poo poo :laffo: it's still 20 euros on the xbox store

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 23, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I played this for the first time fairly recently, enjoyed it, then ragequit at the final boss

gently caress that guy

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember this game from my freshman year in college. My roommate picked it up along with Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and we had a great time with it, short as it might be.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

DOOP posted:

I played this for the first time fairly recently, enjoyed it, then ragequit at the final boss

gently caress that guy

You weren't alone there, boy oh boy is that something else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing that really deserves mention: The music in this game is goddamn great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJYPgc3J-fM

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

DOOP posted:

gently caress that guy

I beat him my first time through the game, and on later attempts I have no idea how I managed it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kloro posted:

I beat him my first time through the game, and on later attempts I have no idea how I managed it.

Was it really that hard? Maybe I played on easy or something, because I remember beating the game in 10 hours or so.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
This is a super enjoyable stream to have on big lengthy processes are running, if your job is bioinformatics and requires you to run multi-hour programs.

What I'm saying is that this long-video format is ideal, for me, personally.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Howdy!

Today, Cole earns his spurs and makes some new friends.

2. You don't eat a cow like that all at once

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I remember enjoying this game when I played it. Glad I didn't get it at full price though. I didn't have so much trouble with the final boss but I also used to binge watch speedruns and this was one of the ones I had downloaded so I knew the sick strats.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Aaah, I remember this game. Loved it, despite the fact that GTAs and GTA-esque games usually bore me to death within 2 hours.

Never had trouble with the final boss, but there was one section in the lategame that made me almost want to quit

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's all a wonderful mix of frustration and tedium, presented live and unedited.

At least it's short!

Hmm maybe I should make that the thread subtitle

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
My favorite part of this game is that Cole is like 14.

Livewire42 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 3, 2015

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I enjoyed this less than I did classic Wild West videogames Sunset Riders and Lethal Enforcers 2 but more than I did the Red Dead games.

"Thy Kingdom Come, thy will be..." GUN!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

In this week's episode, I get confused and blitz through about 80% of the main story in one session.

3. Rode hard and put away wet

Touraxus
Sep 4, 2011

Lord of the dance, and bananas.
I had been with you until you poo poo on Ron Pearlman.
Hellboy and Sons of Anarchy were both amazing to watch.
I haven't watched his amazon show yet!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
gently caress Hollister. That fucker one shot me so many times on very hard. I only ended up beating him when his AI hosed up and couldn't look up.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Remember, Misdemeanour Larceny Piebald is basically a collection of assholes riffing on top of a not-all-bad, but very dated PS2-era game.

And Yes, I openly admit that I'm the most-rear end in a top hat of the lot.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh hey my LP got mentioned :v:

Monolith had a pretty bad reputation by the time 2000 came around but the game still holds up gameplay wise, and it more than holds up in terms of character. Hell, they even did a pre-sequel before it was cool. (it sucked)

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

We love u scruffy! If you're around of a saturday you should join us

Oh right next episode is gonna be pretty much all side missions and a buncha dudes bein rude.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Skippy Granola posted:

We love u scruffy! If you're around of a saturday you should join us

I'm in Germany which is +1 GMT and I've got AN EVENT this Saturday but I'll see where I'm at Sunday morning which is basically when I'd be available :v:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Jenny is a whore in the wild west. Who is to say she is older than 14 herself?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I had that game when it first came out. I wasn't to impressed. I found the game way to easy in the end, it was far to easy to complete and after a second time through I ended up just selling it to gamestop.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 13, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just played Call of Juarez: Gunslinger because of your stream after seeing it in your videos, Skippy.

It is so much better than this game, even if I have fond memories of this one, too. Like goddamn, that was the best Western game we're gettin'.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Man, I was gonna do Gunslinger instead of this but it turned out the fantastic Feldrin is doin an LP

Sorry for skipping a week by the way, folks! Been crazy busy at work and I was just shattered. Show resumes this weekend.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

4. Con sarn it where's muh dang cornbread

Hello, here is the final update. I thought there would be some more content but the endgame is actually only another hour.

Partway in, I mention that the video will stop after poker, and you can take off if it suits you. That was a lie. Skip to 1:30:00 or so in the video for the final mission.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

What's next in store for Skippy and his Granola Bunch? Stay tuned!

Where do you stream from, anyhow? I wanna watch the eventual Just Cause streams live. Edit: oh wait it was in the op, because of course that's where it would be.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I promised I'd do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I said nothing about this but I'm doing it anyway

• Locked thread