Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Series DD Funding posted:

It depends on how we define "good cheap food." The conservative standby of :bahgawd: beans and rice :bahgawd: is cheap, filling, fairly nutritious, and pretty good when made properly (I made some just the other day). But it's never going to be good in the same way that an oreo is, nor is it as cheap in caloric density terms (but that's not necessarily a bad thing if the goal is weight loss). It's also going to taste like a pile of dirt if you just dump plain canned beans on because you never learned how to cook.

And exercise isn't really important here. At best it can provide minor benefits compared to diet, at worst it can cause people to overestimate calories they burned and overeat because they "earned" it.

Exercise is good for other reasons, though. Someone who exercises will be healthier than someone who doesn't but weighs the same amount, and if you have a lower body-fat percentage at a given weight, you'll burn more calories just by doing nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think another big issue, and it's largely a culture-wide issue, is our dependence on cars. Walking can actually burn a fair amount of calories if you do it all the time, and it doesn't really seem like exercise because it's not really something you do on purpose, but rather a thing you do because you have places to go and things to do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Series DD Funding posted:

You aren't making any points. Putting frozen vegetables in the microwave and seasoning doesn't take more than a few minutes. Making rice doesn't take more than a few minutes, and is easier than brushing your teeth if you have a $10 rice cooker. Putting salad in a bowl and mixing with dressing doesn't take more than a few minutes. These things are all easy to do, and having more time won't make them happen for more people.

To be fair, you have to first go to the grocery store and buy those things before you can eat them. I love cooking, but I absolutely despise grocery shopping because it's a completely awful experience in every way (I still do it, mind you), so I can see how that would be the final straw that deters people from cooking for themselves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sweek0 posted:

You have to do that for junk food, too! And you can do that shopping online.

Although yes I understand that cheap junk food is more easily available. But having a number of good staple foods such as cans of beans, rice, porridge, some fruit and frozen vegetables really isn't all that difficult.

Are people really getting fat because they're going to the store and buying tons of junk food and soda, though? Or are they getting fat because, gently caress it, it's a lot easier to hit McDonald's on the way home than anything else.

Before I got serious about eating healthier, I never bought junk food to eat at home, I just ate out constantly because I was lazy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

euphronius posted:

Did a guy a page ago just compare counting calories to building a house. I think he did .

He did, I saw it!

He also said that saying losing weight is just about eating less is like saying running a marathon is just about running continuously for a while. Which is also true; if I wanted to run a marathon, I would start by running on a regular basis until my endurance built up to the point I could do it long enough to complete a marathon distance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cole posted:

It takes just as long to walk into a store and get a premade salad as it does to wait in a drive thru or buy junk food from the same store.

Instead of chips, get almonds.

Instead of soda, drink flavored water.

You have to grocery shop for the food that makes you obese. Instead, replace the unhealthy stuff with healthy stuff (like the two examples I gave above). If you are eating fast food, make a stop in the grocery store and get a premade salad instead. You literally just pour it in a bowl and put dressing on it. That is all it takes to prepare.

And make your bigger meals (chicken, fish, vegetable sides, etc) in bulk on your day off for the week and reheat them when it is meal time.

There is seriously no excuse for eating like poo poo other than a lack of self control or just not really caring too much about your health.

A cheeseburger every now and then won't kill you. I give myself one day a week to have a terrible meal as a reward for eating healthy the rest of the week.

Are people really going to a proper grocery store, bypassing all the delicious healthy food and shovelling pure poo poo into their cart? I thought the obesity crisis was much more about people consistently eating fast food and the sort of frozen garbage you can pick up at the corner store because they're lazy. Maybe I'm just naive.

I agree that preparing proper food is basically as easy and quick as you want to make it. I love cooking and I do it regularly, I'm just saying that, when I don't do it, it's because grocery shopping is so miserable that eating out seems like a much more convenient option.

EDIT: If I were hungry right now and had no food, I could either go to the pub that's 100 feet away from my door and grab a burger, or I could walk 800 metres to the grocery store and subject myself to one of my least favourite chores ever (seriously, I'd rather scrub toilets than go grocery shopping) and then cook myself a proper meal. Cooking and cleaning is the good, fun part of that equation though.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 25, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A kilo of rice is still a loving giant amount of food though, so even if it's a whole 4 pounds, it's still really, really cheap.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Again you're going to unfairly punish fit people as a solution for obesity, it's entirely unworkable and impractical. Smoking a pack of cigarettes is pretty much objectively bad, eating a large portioned meal is in no way objectively bad.

Also, leaving aside for the time being that sin taxes are stupid and regressive, there's no way to categorize what sort of things would be taxed (except perhaps all caloric beverages except milk). A stick of butter is unhealthy if you eat it all at once, but if you use a stick of butter over the course of two weeks or something it's fine. Mayonnaise is high in calories too, but a tiny bit on a sandwich is no problem.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Effectronica posted:

People seem to be ignoring the central question, which is, "Why do people overeat, and why have more people been doing so?"

One aspect that has largely been ignored is that food is a source of pleasure the absolute majority of people are, no matter their working and living conditions, going to have access to. Not just stress eating, but eating as a source of enjoyment for people who have demanding lives and so can't engage in other pleasurable activities they enjoy. Thus, it may be that one of the more important factors is simply dysfunctional work-life balance and economic uncertainty, which in turn demands changes much more radical than any serious proposal.

I think it also has to do with other addiction rates declining. I'm guessing a lot of people who are obese would instead be heavy smokers if that were still socially acceptable (though, obviously, there's plenty of obese people who smoke, so it's not a complete explanation).

The real question is why people gravitate to very calorie-dense food, too. I like a lovely, light tomato sauce as much as a much more calorie-dense alfredo, and it's not meaningfully less filling. How can we get people to adjust their tastes to enjoy vegetables as much as butter and cream?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fishmech posted:

You can't adjust tastes to enjoy bland or lightly seasoned vegetables as much as foods that are practically tailor made to appeal to our senses of taste and smell.

So? Heavily season that poo poo. Garlic, shallots, basil, oregano, paprika, hot pepper, a reasonable helping of salt, etc. Way better than bland mass produced garbage. I'm not saying to combine a can of tomatoes and some cooked pasta or something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jarmak posted:

The worst food for you is poo poo produced by a master chef who isn't holding back, fat is delicious and that's just a biological constant you can't change.

Yeah, on the other hand, I had a 24-course meal at a 2-Michelin-star restaurant when I was in Spain, and due to the timing and size of all the courses, it made me feel pleasantly full but didn't make me feel stuffed, and I doubt I gained much weight that day. Any master chef worth their salt isn't going to simply ply you with fat and garbage all night, because there's absolutely no art to it. And, yeah, when I was there, the jamón was good, but the fact that she made beets enjoyable for me for the first time was actually far more impressive and more satisfying.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Yeah on the other hand I bet you that meal was incredibly unhealthy and I wouldn't be surprised if those beets were cooked in fat.

Like the idea that a master chef isn't going to ply you with fat unless they're deliberately trying to prepare something healthy is so ludicrous I have to assume you have no training whatsoever. Mediterranean trends better on the whole because it tends to favour healthy fats, but this comment is just mind blowing in the context of something like classical French

Of course there was fat involved in the preparation of those dishes, I'm just saying that it was a more balanced meal than going down to Applebee's or wherever. The poo poo that gets prepared in corporate kitchens is needlessly high in fat and sugar in a lot of cases, simply because it's easy to use those things to create a pleasing meal that can be prepared out of a bag by a trained ape. Even rich food prepared in the classical French tradition is more restrained in a lot of cases.

(and the meal in question was Basque, not French -- appreciably lighter)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jarmak posted:

It's easier for someone with skill to cook delicious healthy food, and certain cuisines tend to be lower in fat, but you're trying generalize this into some sort of snobby bullshit about how plebe food is so much worse for you and you don't know what you're talking about. The fat being more varied or artfully handled does not make it less, and in my experience often makes it more because I/they know so much more they can do with fat then just dumping in butter. A master chef poaching something in duck fat isn't any more healthy then some high school kid dropping poo poo in the deep fryer at Applebees.

Yes, but using fat is not a bad thing, nor is salt a bad thing in and of itself. Making lovely food palatable by cramming in fat and salt instead of flavour, and then serving it giant portions, is the problem because it leads to people over-eating and not getting a balanced diet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sitchensis posted:

No one walks anywhere anymore. In North America, our built environment is completely devoid of any kind of human scale or walkability.

I live in a huge-rear end sprawling city (Calgary) and I still walk almost everywhere, because I consciously made the choice to live in a small apartment downtown instead of a larger apartment or house in the sprawling suburbs. People make the conscious choice to live in sprawling suburbia instead of in a denser urban area. I have absolutely no idea why, but they do!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

You can be pretty sure that there is more than one answer to this. "People aren't walking anymore" is actually a rather plausible reason, but only one of many. Also people in Europe are unfortunately walking much less than a few decades ago, even if there are a lot of cities like Amsterdam or Münster that have a fantastic bike infrastructure. It's not unheard of here that parents drive their children to school although it's only one kilometer away.

Ironically, in Calgary, the sprawl is so bad that the school board's new policy is that every child should be no more than 1.5km from their bus stop, much less their actual school, so if your parents don't drive you, you're walking quite a bit!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fishmech posted:

Uh, what kind of hosed up school system that was already busing was doing it so halfassed that the kids still had to walk a mile to the stop?

That's how bad the sprawl is! The city was expanding outward faster than schools could be built, so the required bus network is loving huge and they needed to cut costs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Effectronica posted:

The kind of society where everything used in daily life is in walking distance and all transportation is necessary for is traveling between arcologies is one that is extremely implausible to ever emerge.

Say what? That's basically my life, and it has been my life since I left the suburbs when I went to university. I have a car to use for those times I don't want to walk, or it's too far, or I have too much poo poo to carry, but I use it maybe once a week at most. I do 90% of the things I need to do simply by walking.

It's not necessary we reach a car-free society to have an appreciable health benefit from walkability anyway, so your statement doesn't make a whole bunch of sense. All walking needs to do is be a very viable option for most tasks, and places already exist (even in North America) where this is clearly the case.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Think about what would be necessary to make everyone's workplace in walking distance, so that we can avoid sedentary notions like light rail or busses or subways. Think about the sort of cultural experiences that would be possible in a society like that which could be built today.

What? Of course I was including transit in that. It's not like you just step out your door, hop onto transit, and it shows up exactly where you want to go. There's a lot more walking involved than just hopping in your car and driving wherever you need to go, and you're frequently standing (or at least I am, because I don't like sitting next to strangers that frequently smell bad).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Oh, OK, so you actually agree with the broader point, but are convinced walking to and from bus stops is more similar to walking all the way than driving.

I'm convinced that some walking is better than no walking, and it's feasible to have a society in which walking forms a significant portion (time-wise if not necessarily distance-wise) of the average person's personal travel. I think if I took transit to work, my average daily walking would be about the same as if I worked within walking distance, too. I think you're being purposefully obtuse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I live in Manhattan. I certainly walk way, way more than I used to before I lived there. New York is notable for having basically the only functional mass transit system in the country good enough that you don't need a car. If every city had such a system, people would get more exercise.

Yeah, the idea that mass transit takes away from walking is insane. Earlier tonight, I walked to the LRT station (1 block). I took the LRT several blocks to another stop, from which I walked 7 blocks to the pub I wanted to go to. In essence, this is no different from me walking 7-8 blocks to go to a slightly closer bar. Mass transit adds to the utility of walking, rather than replacing it as cars do. When I was travelling in Spain, I could literally travel all the way across the country, door to door, without stepping foot in a private vehicle or causing myself any inconvenience over alternative means of transit. I suppose you could argue that walking the entire way would've been healthier, but I suspect the several kilometers I walked every day were plenty.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fishmech posted:

Walking a block or ten a day isn't a useful amount of calories burned to counteract obesity.

Let's take a 260 pound person for instance. If they walk a whole mile each day, that's ~145 calories.

The fact that everyone is treating a mile as some kind of impressive walking distance is part of the problem. That's practically nothing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jarmak posted:

yeah but its annoying as poo poo, walking a mile is no big feat but adding a walked mile to my commute would mean an extra hour a day round trip added to my daily routine and I'm better off spending that time in the gym.

You walk 1mph?

EDIT:

So, a mile is about 1600m. Assuming you go to work, walk a distance to grab something from a food truck, let's say, then come home from work, and do one out-of-the-house errand like grocery shopping, or maybe going to the pub, or a friend's house each day, let's break this down:

1) Walk to transit stop.
2) Go from transit stop to work.
3) Go from work to food truck.
4) Go back to work.
5) Go to transit stop.
6) Go from transit stop to home.
7) Go to grocery store,etc.
8) Go home from grocery store.

Assuming every single one of those things is a very minimal 200m away, you've walked a mile. Even in dense cities, most things are at least that far apart.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 28, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

computer parts posted:

Average walking speed is about 3mph, so adding a walked mile there and back (so 2 miles total) would add 40 minutes total.

Well, then you haven't walked a mile; you have, in fact, walked two miles and burned twice as many calories as walking one mile.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sitchensis posted:

And it's unconscious exercise, too. No one who lives in an area that's easily walkable thinks about the fact that they are exercising when they go out the door to walk to the corner store.

Yeah, it's not an alternative to exercising or eating less, it's an incremental benefit on top of that. I walk most places and go to the gym regularly and eat a reasonable diet. Diet is important, but physical activity is also really important too. Just lol if you don't think burning an extra 400 calories per day (some of which could easily come from walking, even if it's not the majority) would make a difference to an individual trying to lose weight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fishmech posted:

An extra 400 calories per day would require significantly more walking then having a good transit system would result in. That's on the order of 3 miles a day walking for a very heavy person, as much as 4 or 5 for lighter but still obese person.

From the post you quoted:

quote:

burning an extra 400 calories per day (some of which could easily come from walking, even if it's not the majority)

Of course it's not going to be just walking, but walking can be a part of being more physically active and it's very easy, if you're presently leading a very sedentary lifestyle, to burn an additional 400 calories through physical activity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cole posted:

I always wondered how they are measuring that? I've never had my BMI or fat % taken in any official capacity and I don't know anybody who has (not that it ever really gets brought up), unless they are using the same BMI calculator you find on Google, which is horribly inaccurate.

The BMI calculator on Google is perfectly accurate, it's the BMI itself which is a measurement of dubious usefulness on a personal level.

Fat percentage, the more useful measurement, is something you can't measure on the Internet alone, sadly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ultimately, barring an easting disorder, a mirror is the best way to tell if you're fat as gently caress or not, if you're being honest with yourself. If you see a lot of fat and no muscle definition: you're fat!

Of all the issues with the obesity crisis, I think "can we tell if people are fat" is near the bottom in terms of poo poo we need to be worried about.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

meristem posted:

Also, I just want to laugh at all of you who talk about 2500 calories/day as the baseline. The daily intake on which I don't gain weight is around 1200, and this is after exercise.

There's no baseline which won't look ridiculous for a significant portion of the population, though. I need 2500-3000 calories per day, depending on how much activity I do, just to maintain my weight. I'm 6'1" and around 165 lbs, which I don't think is particularly "large" in any sense. You must have a really efficient metabolism or be much smaller than average.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A diet is the collection of things you eat. Dieting, as a verb, is stupid as gently caress. "Changing your diet" to be healthier makes a lot of sense, and it's not a temporary thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

rscott posted:

Yes but the term "going on a diet" in the American vernacular implies a temporary arrangement or plan to achieve a goal

Well, if you want to lose weight, then you have to adjust your diet to a point where there's a calorie deficit so you lose weight, and then upon achieving your target weight, you should adjust your diet to maintain that weight. The calorie-deficit phase has to be temporary, but the changes to your diet overall must be permanent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

rscott posted:

Nah for most people you can pick a calorie budget that will maintain the desired body weight and just eat that much until you hit your body weight goal. Their rate of weight loss will start out steep and then slow down as they slim down but they will eventually reach that weight

You could do that but it would take a lot longer to reach the target weight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

All the people who were stick thin in Japan that I knew smoked heavily. Let's reintroduce tobacco. Do I win?

No, I've known plenty of obese heavy smokers. If smoking was making them thinner than they'd be otherwise, the probably wouldn't be ambulatory without the cigarettes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

What if most jobs at company-lead PT? Show up an hour before work starts and get paid to exercise?

Calisthenics don't cost anything, and you don't need any skill or experience to get started at doing them. They're also really easy to do as a group.

That would loving suck unless the company also provides showers for all its employees, and even then it would be massively more inconvenient.

As it turns out, though, some companies are doing that. The company my friend is working for is starting a Friday-morning hockey thing, and if you participate you get a paid hour as you're playing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

The other half - eating well - falls on the individual, because I don't see many companies being able to feed their workers during work hours.

Lots of workplaces have cafeterias or at least small kitchens. Obviously you can't force them to eat healthily or in appropriate amounts, but it would certainly be possible to incentivize that behaviour by providing properly portioned, healthy food.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

That's a good point. I haven't worked an office job, what do people who cycle to work do?

I honestly have no idea. That's one of the reasons I don't think cycling is a good commuting option for a lot of people. I guess some people don't sweat much, but when I exert myself to any degree (even a brisk walk) I sweat. When I do anything that could actually be termed "exercise," I rain. Without being able to shower and change at work, bicycle commuting would simply be impossible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SlipUp posted:

-Ban food marketing to children. How many kids diets have been wrecked for a lifetime at the age of six because of a red headed clown? They are not capable of making informed choices and are very susceptible to advertising techniques.

Six-year-olds have neither money nor mobility. Maybe it's because I grew up in such a small town that we literally did not have fast food (or any restaurant that served dinner) and thus it was never an issue, but what's wrong with a parent saying "You'll eat what I prepare you, or you won't eat."?

This is what my friend did with his daughter. Now she doesn't even like McDonald's or fast food in general, because home-cooked meals are actually way better in addition to generally being more reasonably portioned and more nutritionally balanced.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SlipUp posted:

The child's desire has overwhelming effect on the parents purchasing decisions.

Fast food is way more prevalent than in your small town. Many parents are single and/or work multiple jobs and/or in poverty and don't have the time or the energy to fight a battle with the entire fast food industry over what their picky child will eat Tuesday night and Wednesday lunch.

But... how do people let a six-year-old run their lives? Like, what if they asked for liquor or cigarettes? Do you just give in because it's easier than arguing?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

It's not that a six-year-old is running their lives. It's a combination of two things:

a) Most parents want their kids to be happy
b) Most parents want their kids to stop whining and shut the hell up

Feeding the kid fast-food accomplishes both of these goals, and it doesn't cause any immediate short-term harm (and unfortunately, the long-term harm is still contradicted by many marketing campaigns and even research).

Both cigarettes and liquor are illegal and much more obviously harmful than fast-food. Giving them to a child is child-abuse.

Cigarettes, yes. Liquor, no (at least not in Canada). Minors are unable to purchase alcohol or consume it in a licensed establishment, but parents/guardians may provide it in a private home legally.

I think marketing to tweens and teens, and making sure that school food is more nutritious (and banning junk food in schools), is more important than restricting happy meals or whatever. A 12-year-old probably has a bit of money and some degree of agency, yet very limited rationality -- ergo, it's much more important to protect them from predatory marketing than to protect a 6-year-old, because the 6-year-old ultimately can't make their own choice about loving anything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sorry for being obtuse, but what point are you making here? I agree it's a horrible idea, but it's equally legal to ply your children with booze as it is to feed them fast food, provided you do it in your own home. The point being, only a half-wit would say "sure, just take a beer out of the fridge if you want!" to their 10-year-old, no matter how loudly they bitch about wanting it, and honestly it's probably better that your 10-year-old should have the odd beer or glass of wine a few times per year than to eat fast food on a regular basis.

Also, anyone who says booze isn't marketed to minors is delusional. Tobacco is the only thing that's properly restricted in terms of advertising; booze ads can be found in every form of media, and they use themes and imagery, largely based around sex, that will appeal to teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

The funny thing is that banning such marketing should be easy to do. Whichever liberal group takes on the lobbying and campaigning for that task has it easy. All they have to do is use the same "think of the children!" logic that conservative groups use when they want to pass various legislation. Except this time the argument would actually be valid.

How do you determine, objectively speaking, whether something is being marketed to minors, though? Like the point I made about alcohol advertising, you can't simply exclude minors from being influenced by your advertisements, even if you do your very best to focus them at adults. The only way it can be done, as it's done for tobacco advertising in Canada, is limit any advertising to minors-prohibited venues. That's why we have cigarette ads in bars, but nowhere else.

• Locked thread