Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Syfy doesn't own the show, just the US broadcast rights.

So blame whoever actually owns the show for the clusterfuck that was international release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kerwyn posted:

Syfy doesn't own the show, just the US broadcast rights.

So blame whoever actually owns the show for the clusterfuck that was international release.

NBC Universal owns the show, which is the same as saying Syfy owns the show since SyFy falls under the NBC Universal umbrella.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRJObYPJ_-g
Because I can't get enough of the S1 recat, here is the behind the scenes.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
Re-watching season one in preparation for the new one. The Expanse is only the 2nd show ever I'm watching again (the other show is Firefly). It's even better the second time 'round.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Caryna posted:

Re-watching season one in preparation for the new one. The Expanse is only the 2nd show ever I'm watching again (the other show is Firefly). It's even better the second time 'round.

I haven't rewatched many shows... Firefly, The Expanse and Sherlock.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Fargo bears rewatching. lots of little details to pick up. the 2nd season even has space ships!

*what's the expiration date!

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 23, 2017

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

uber_stoat posted:

Fargo bears rewatching. lots of little details to pick up. the 2nd season even has!

Splrs

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Why doesn't earth have a fairly strict 2-child policy? Or why didn't they have one like 10 billion people ago?

Platystemon posted:

This is basic information about the setting, but it’s only explicit in the books, AFAIK, so I’m spoilering it:

It does.

Earthers have to apply for licenses to reproduce go off mandatory birth control.

To put a finer point on it Mandatory birth control is one of the requirements of being on basic, and you are tested regularly. Also 'applying for a license' is apparently little more than paying a very hefty fee, which is more interesting because that means that while on basic people can and do take on work for the sole purpose of having a child, then go right back to being on the gov't teat.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I watched the first season of this and then started reading the books... and I just want to say I'm glad I watched TV first just so I could make concrete the voice of Shohreh Aghdashloo as the voice of Avasarala. she's super good.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Any news yet if Netflix is going make this available this weekly (outside of the USA)?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Evernoob posted:

Any news yet if Netflix is going make this available this weekly (outside of the USA)?

We think yes, but i've been unable to find a concrete source. Going by Better Call Saul the answer is yes.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Netflix is earning my monthly contribution in that case.

Not so long ago I would have laughed at paying for series that our local stations refuse to broadcast. But now as I'm getting older I really appreciate the no-hassle, high quality (with the correct subs for the wife) stream Netflix provides.

And I believe Netflix contributes a lot in this golden age of the not-so-mainstream series. They deserve my :10bux:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AMA on Reddit in 20 minutes if you have any pressing questions for the writers. E: here.

< 1 week left! Woo.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 26, 2017

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Season 1 has been on Amazon Prime streaming in the U.S. for a while. Finally got around to watching it and I finished it last night.

I thought there was an episode missing because the last episode didn't feel like a season ender.

I haven't read most of this thread other than the last couple of pages.

Is 'Holden's angry vlog' just a reference to one of his transmissions to the solar system?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doctor Butts posted:

Is 'Holden's angry vlog' just a reference to one of his transmissions to the solar system?

It’s an ongoing thing with him.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

NmareBfly posted:

AMA on Reddit in 20 minutes if you have any pressing questions for the writers. E: here.

< 1 week left! Woo.

I'm honestly a little surprised to learn that the setting started out as D&D notes. It doesn't really feel it. Maybe it does in later books..

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm honestly a little surprised to learn that the setting started out as D&D notes. It doesn't really feel it. Maybe it does in later books..

The setting may not be but whoo-boy, the pacing of the first book certainly reads like a DnD campaign. At times I felt like I could hear dice rolling in the background.

So far the second book seems better...

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

There's no way 'donkeyballs' wasn't a long celebrated persuasion roll

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought there was an episode missing because the last episode didn't feel like a season ender.

I felt this way too but thought it might be because I read the books. The first season doesn't quite end where the first book does.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Scott Manley aka Illectro just put out a video on the Expanse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZqp0QoXcw

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Snuffman posted:

The setting may not be but whoo-boy, the pacing of the first book certainly reads like a DnD campaign. At times I felt like I could hear dice rolling in the background.

So far the second book seems better...

Well that explains the whole Canton. They must have kept rolling 1s and the whole initial campaign got derailed for a bit.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Wasn't it also going to be an MMO with Earth, Mars, and the Belt as the three factions? It definitely feels like an RPG setting. The "party" gets lumped together in the traditional way and just refuses to split up afterward. Plus they all practically have character classes written under their names. Holden is the obvious party Face, Naomi is the Tech, Amos is the combat beast, and Alex is the guy who put all his points into piloting. They also had a healer (but he got fragged), and Miller joins as basically a rogue.

Of course, it could just be that RPGs have rotted my brain, but I've definitely noticed a sort of RPGification in fiction lately (although, obviously, this poo poo is recursive and the traditional D&D party is basically just The Magnificent Seven meets the Fellowship of the Ring anyway). One of the weirdest moments was realizing that the cast of Rogue One was exactly one Wookie Jedi away from being every Star Wars Pen and Paper party ever.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Maybe if you read something other than fantasy or scifi you'll not find rpg parties everywhere

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I don't know, I see it a fair bit in historical/adventure fiction too.

And I wasn't saying it was across all genres or anything, so you can save the salt.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think its mostly because D&D RPG books are pretty much a 'how to write fiction' guidebook.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Atarask posted:

Well that explains the whole Canton. They must have kept rolling 1s and the whole initial campaign got derailed for a bit.

Miller's that rear end in a top hat who keeps trying to split the party

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Duckbag posted:

They also had a healer (but he got fragged),

The healer was played by someone who got a job in another city and had to ditch the group like three weeks into the campaign.

One of the biggest additions in the show compared to the books is that the books the main party gels a lot faster in a way that doesn't feel as believable. It's more obvious that it's just a bunch of people who sat down at a table together, and in the show they add some extra tribulations before trust is gained.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NmareBfly posted:

The healer was played by someone who got a job in another city and had to ditch the group like three weeks into the campaign.

One of the biggest additions in the show compared to the books is that the books the main party gels a lot faster in a way that doesn't feel as believable. It's more obvious that it's just a bunch of people who sat down at a table together, and in the show they add some extra tribulations before trust is gained.

Its because the main party, sans Johnson or Miller, have already spent years with each other on the Cant

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Phi230 posted:

Its because the main party, sans Johnson or Miller, have already spent years with each other on the Cant

Yeah, but as part of a crew of about fifty, on a ship where people didn't like to talk about themselves or their past. The closest connection among any of them on the Canterbury was probably between Amos and Naomi, who worked together frequently, beyond that, for all the time shipping together, they were practically acquaintances.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I didn't really notice the rpgish elements of the characters in leviathan, but that was because I saw the tv show first.

I did see the rpg boundaries that of the characters in caliban especially with the main quest, which basically fired off with a giant glowing quest marker.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Just finished season 1 via Netflix DVD. Pretty fun show, looking forward to watching more.

One question/potential spoiler:

What is up with the occasional POV view they gave - from I believe two characters, Amos Burton and the stow-away spy - that suggested some kind of cybernetic HUD? The POV was also combined with an eye close-up shot showing something weird going on.

Are those characters androids or is that just some kind of technological implant?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm assuming they just have eye implants that allow them to view things in a computery way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gfarrell80 posted:

Just finished season 1 via Netflix DVD. Pretty fun show, looking forward to watching more.

What is up with the occasional POV view they gave - from I believe two characters, Amos Burton and the stow-away spy - that suggested some kind of cybernetic HUD? The POV was also combined with an eye close-up shot showing something weird going on.

Are those characters androids or is that just some kind of technological implant?
It's full on cybernetics.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember when that guy got crushed on the Cant and they talked about an expensive flesh & blood arm vs. a cheap cybernetic one?

It’s cybernetics.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Cool stuff, thanks guys.

Only disappointment in season 1 was that I pulling for one or two of the martian marines to survive getting off the Donnager and join the little gang, but hey, I like it so far.

Looking forward to more sweet space Sci-fi poo poo!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

gfarrell80 posted:

I'm pretty sure the HUD POVs were all the spy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't remember that spy guy being in the book

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

fridge corn posted:

I don't remember that spy guy being in the book

I think there's passing mention of a mole on Tycho, but nothing like the character in the show.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I think the POV shots were just to make clear without using actual dialog that dude was a lying liar pants on fire. He's always looking for a way out and actively backstabbing the crew while insisting he's doing otherwise. They probably mainly wanted the one on Eros where he calls the hit squad on them, but they had to establish the POV shots a few times so it didn't totally come out of the blue when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

He's Avasrala's spy. She gets access to him by threatening the retired handler in the aquarium. In the books he is mentioned as being on Tycho but never seen, and by the time the crew get to Eros the hit squad is already waiting from them based on the spies knowledge. In the books the passage to Eros is basically entirely uneventful.

• Locked thread