Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

flosofl posted:

Holden doing the equivalent of CC: Everyone of SUBJ: My_Angry_Vlog.mpg

I just wanted to post appreciation for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

withak posted:

Or at least curves that are straight enough that the curvature is irrelevant to planning.

They're not going that fast the whole trip though. They have massively more forward momentum in the middle of the trips than at the ends and the ends of the trips are where they're dealing with gravity the most. By the time they're actually near Jupiter or wherever, they would have to have decelerated the more conventional speeds or else they'd whiz right by their destination instead of entering orbit. Don't slow down enough, and you slingshot off in some random direction, slow down too much and you don't enter a stable orbit. Either outcome could send you crashing down a gravity well to your death. Getting your speed and trajectory of entry right while maintaining a consistent rate of deceleration and navigating the gravity of a gas giant and dozens of moons (plus the sun) all seems doable, but would involve a nightmarish amount of trigonometry and any sort of mechanical failure or human error could easily kill you. Space is hard, man.

Gravity will never be irrelevant to planning and moving faster or going above the solar plane (which, mind you, isn't particularly flat) can mitigate some of these issues, but will never eliminate them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People don't fly out of the ecliptic much, they mention it being creepy in at least one of the books.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat, wish I'd waited another week or more to rewatch season 1

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
New promo out, pretty effective! Still counting down the days.

https://twitter.com/ExpanseSyfy/status/819997597590917120

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m on Team Avasarala.

#MEGA

Minor book difference speculation: Bobbie is really channelling Martian animosity. I wonder if that’s just a trailer thing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 14, 2017

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

KatWithHands posted:

I'm so excited. Only about 2 and a 1/2 weeks left.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

KatWithHands posted:

Good to see Miller executing people at random. Its what he is best at.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if he's the guy I'm thinking of, he really deserves it.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Cender posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

In case you need a season one recap.

I want the whole show done this way from now on.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Martians definitely from their armor / ship interiors to their uniforms give of a really strong Systems Alliance Mass Effect Vibe, not that thats a bad thing.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

uber_stoat posted:

if he's the guy I'm thinking of, he really deserves it.

I wonder because they are smashing books one and two together and I think Jules-Pierre is going to replace Dresden entirely. If memory serves Jules ended up in the space clink and not getting offed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol how is mars suffering under earth oppression, they have billions of people and are a military super power? They practically team up with earth to oppress the belt. The whole martian "ARE STRUGGLE!!!" identity is poo poo. Sorry you guys picked a dumbass place to live and were too stupid to build space tubes and instead are trying to terraform a toxic garbage ball with no easily accessible resources and the wrong gravity.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I wonder because they are smashing books one and two together and I think Jules-Pierre is going to replace Dresden entirely. If memory serves Jules ended up in the space clink and not getting offed.

Book and show spoiler: Dresden is in the show. He's in season one and most of the season two trailers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

lol how is mars suffering under earth oppression, they have billions of people and are a military super power? They practically team up with earth to oppress the belt. The whole martian "ARE STRUGGLE!!!" identity is poo poo. Sorry you guys picked a dumbass place to live and were too stupid to build space tubes and instead are trying to terraform a toxic garbage ball with no easily accessible resources and the wrong gravity.

People have formed national identities under vaguer national myths and shared common history in real life. I'd name an example but most of them are controversial enough that this thread would turn in D&D in a second.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Good to see Miller executing people at random. Its what he is best at.

There's Earth. There's Mars. There's the Belt. And then there's Miller. I'm on side Miller.

you know he's going to go eventually but he's such a great character--glad to have him around for a second season, potentially interacting with characters who showed up A.D.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Not to mention, the people on Mars now were born on Mars. You might say their grandparents were dumb, but they can't help where they were brought up.

Also there are more concerns than gravity. They're different countries with different national values and civic institutions like any other. Earth is packed full of people with no purpose- economically unneeded with nothing to give them any other sense of meaning. Just a basic income and possibly drugs. Anyone who wants a job needs to compete for a vanish small number of them, and basically the whole service sector is filled with unpaid interns who are working for years unpaid to prove that they have the dedication for one of the few real jobs. And the belt is a lovely low budget resource extraction and transportation operation where only the barest consideration is given to human comfort. No one's bothered to make any nice space habitats.

So you have Mars, which has its poo poo together, has a gainfully employed population driven by their terraforming project and supported by a stable government. And for whatever reason* Earth can't leave them alone, and keeps trying to steal Martian resources in the belt to fritter away on all the institutional inertia and decay on that planet. Clear oppression!

*The reason probably being that the UN needs to support billions of unemployed people, which is clearly more imperative than wasting all those resources on a few people living in glorified tents on a frozen desert world.

I have to say, I really do love the premise and all the different perspectives in the Expanse world.

Platystemon posted:

Minor book difference speculation: Bobbie is really channelling Martian animosity. I wonder if that’s just a trailer thing.
Judging by how hostile the Roci crew are to each other at the start, I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to play up Bobbie's nationalism, and possibly make her more closed-minded at first, so they can give her more of a character arc to work through.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why doesn't earth have a fairly strict 2-child policy? Or why didn't they have one like 10 billion people ago?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

Why doesn't earth have a fairly strict 2-child policy? Or why didn't they have one like 10 billion people ago?

This is basic information about the setting, but it’s only explicit in the books, AFAIK, so I’m spoilering it:

It does.

Earthers have to apply for licenses to reproduce go off mandatory birth control.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 14, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

They kind of implied it in the show when they mentioned Holden has eight biological parents for tax purposes.

I actually don't remember exactly how it works now, but I guess you're entitled to one child per person, and you get credit for having less. So his rather large family, rather than having eight kids and living on minimum basic or whatever, had one kid and lived on a 22 acre farm.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I imagined it was something like this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/09/27/first-ever-baby-born-using-three-parent-genetic-engineering/

just taken to the next level as a legal maneuver/tax dodge. though I have no idea if something like 8 parents is even possible. I don't know how this stuff works.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's surprising that's not a more common arrangement than this one family (that we see), now that I think about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think the reasons for Holden’s unusual parentage are subtly different in the show and the book, but I’d have to watch the relevant scenes again.

The book is easier to text search. It comes up during his interrogation aboard the Donnager.

Kassad posted:

It's surprising that's not a more common arrangement than this one family (that we see), now that I think about it.

The state isn’t happy about it and probably closed the loophole when Holden was a child.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

PriorMarcus posted:

Book and show spoiler: Dresden is in the show. He's in season one and most of the season two trailers.

I really need to watch season one again apparently.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I really need to watch season one again apparently.

He's the guy doing experiments on Julie's body after they find her in the hotel room. One of the hired guards says he's called Dresden. Honestly they kind of botched Dresden and the Proto guys casting and costumes. None of them look like the best of the best in a shadow military, but rather a middle aged S&M club. I kind of pictured Jon Hamm as Dresden. Someone charismatic enough that he can start to make Eros seem like the best idea.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Season 2 premiers on 1 February on Syfy in the States. Does anyone know when and where it will premier in the UK? I'm hopeful it will just end up on Netflix just after the US premier. Also Will it be being shown earlier on Syfy's website?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty strange how they didn't push for better worldwide distribution for the first season of the show

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Is this show at a big risk of being canceled? I know Stargate Universe was canceled because it had viewer figures that were disappointing at like double the Expanse. Or has the Cable market changed that much in the last ~5 years that half a million base views are considered good? I watched this on Amazon and I am just happy Sci-Fi is making another actual Sci-Fi space show which they have been missing for years now. Defiance was entertaining, but never really clicked with me the way Stargate or Battlestar did, this show is hitting that note.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
First of all Dark Matter and Killjoys exist on Syfy at the moment and are both true space shows with varying degrees of quality, so if you want more space then we are in a bit of a renaissance.

Secondly, yes, TV has very much changed. Syfy has also decided to put a shitload of marketing money behind this show and expect it to do very well. If it does terribly, it's gone. But that's true of most things.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well at least it got a second season given that the later episodes only had 500,000 viewers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W2m__wVExc

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The fact that The Expanse is now a netflix original in a lot of countries really helps it out as far as renew prospects. There will be not-insignificant dollars attached to that deal which will supplement any advertising revenue they get in the US.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The fact that The Expanse is now a netflix original in a lot of countries really helps it out as far as renew prospects. There will be not-insignificant dollars attached to that deal which will supplement any advertising revenue they get in the US.

Plus the deal allowed netflix to make it available to fans in other countries while the first season had much more limited international distribution for some reason.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

HERAK posted:

Season 2 premiers on 1 February on Syfy in the States. Does anyone know when and where it will premier in the UK? I'm hopeful it will just end up on Netflix just after the US premier. Also Will it be being shown earlier on Syfy's website?

It's a "netflix original" outside of the US so it means that it will be up on netflix the day after it shows in the US.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So non US ppl get all the episodes on Netflix day one or just 1 per week like normal TV?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Only happens with shows Netflix funded a 100%.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I spent some time outside the US last fall and the way it worked for some shows I watched (Designated Survivor), episodes would show up one at a time every week. However, again with the shows I watched that did this, they were a week or two behind actual broadcast.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Only happens with shows Netflix funded a 100%.

The netflix deal was just for international broadcasts and syndication.

So at least people overseas will have a legit way to watch the show.

Sort of strange that they didn't line up international distribution for the 1st season.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

etalian posted:

The netflix deal was just for international broadcasts and syndication.

So at least people overseas will have a legit way to watch the show.

Sort of strange that they didn't line up international distribution for the 1st season.

Well, the show was a huge gamble on their part and I'm sure they were looking at business as usual for 1st run airings. Outside Space.com for Australia (and Canada?), I don't think SyFy has ever licensed the rights for current seasons. International distribution is probably a new thing for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

Well, the show was a huge gamble on their part. And outside Space.com for Australia (and Canada?), I don't think SyFy has ever licensed the rights for current seasons. International distribution is probably a new thing for them.

I figured they would have lined up syndication deals much better before the season started especially given how the show had a much bigger production budget than previous SyFy shows.

• Locked thread