Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strategic Tea posted:

Noir detectives are (the only people) allowed to wear fedoras/trilbies/whatever :colbert:

And black guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Right? i thought it looked amazing, especially from a syfy show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thad Castle disagrees

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He looks like Stephen Amell had a jaw upgrade

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best post of the thread.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm watching Adam Savage and Chief Tyrol build BSG model kits.... Nothing phases me anymore.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Awful lot of stuff being tagged from the books...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how they are exactly the same as they are now, but they have a sense of humor!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dude..... wtf.

*book spoilers* this really isn't cool anymore.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some dickhead is going mental about how much it sucks in another tv forum. I think he's off his meds.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't be dead, i was rooting for him during that epic escape. Tough but fair Spacemarine going rogue to save his planet. It pretty much writes itself.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Again with the book spoilers...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I downloaded the books the other day, but already had the books and potentially the show spoiled by accident.

Mucho gay

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

KatWithHands posted:

There is if you're in Canada, because we have the SyFy affiliate Space here: http://www.space.ca/featuredshow/the-expanse/ They upload the episodes at the same time SyFy does. If someone from the US could try an episode there and tell me if it's region-locked for Canada, I'd appreciate it. I know when Space had the pilot up on their Facebook account it was region-free, but their actual site might be different.

If there are other legal international means that you guys know about, please gimme a shout and I'll make them available in the OP.

VPN's aren't illegal

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have one specifically for netflix and poo poo. Works fine on syfy's website.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who says there aren't in the Hoth system?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't even know why it's still being discussed.

This is a great series and people are actively ruining it, on purpose.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not a book spoiler thread, end of story... it's pretty easy to not do it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not the fact they are posting them, it's the fact that they are repeatedly not tagging them properly.

It's loving poo poo at best.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well there are some people who still tag when talking about episodes. It happens everyday.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just get really high on dabs.

Same same but different.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't say that mate.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

What other symbolism should they use?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cue the armchair physicists

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hahaha way to notice stuff.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is with that avatar dude.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gravity Slingshots are awesome in Universe Sandbox 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz3iklObSzM&t=610s

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wish i could make this Expanse solar system in Universe Sandbox 2.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Forget it, somehow this thread gets a pass from the usual rules.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

Unless Universe Sandbox 2 is radically different from 1, the Expanse Solar System is just the Solar System with some tiny crap on it. Won't make much difference gravity/orbit wise.

I mean having the full asteroid belt and kuiper belt without my computer melting. Terraforming Mars and poo poo can be done alright.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evernoob posted:

How long would it take in real life if a ship was going to travel from earth to mars at 0,38G constant acceleration, flipping around at the halfway point? This with good to optimal planetary alignment.

0,38G acceleration doesn't seem to be a whole lot to me... however keeping this up constantly might indeed result in pretty high velocities.

What kind of trajectory and acceleration did the Viking Probes use?
As I understand with my very limited physics, due to the Epstien drive all fuel costs are pretty much neglected so they basically travel from A to B in a pretty much straight line. In our world we are limited by fuel so we need to take a much longer way around in order to fight gravity and momentum as little as possible.

PS : I went into this series without any prior information and I'm now totally hooked. A part of the next seasons I hope this kind of series will gain a lot of following so we can get more of the same.

How the gently caress could anyone answer that?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Props.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Watch me try:

First, you are making the incorrect assumption that the Epstein drive makes fuel usage irrelevant, it doesn't, it simply makes fuel usage efficient to the point where return trips across the solar system at a reasonable velocity are not impossible. The problem with current space travel is that fuel is mass and extra mass requires extra delta v ergo extra fuel, currently ships and probes use all sort of maneuvers that are designed to reduce fuel consumption to an absolute minimum, they actually don't accelerate at all for the majority of the trip.

Here's for instance how current generation spacecraft travel from earth to mars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_transfer_orbit

Note the vessel only accelerates during two points in the journey and expands the minimal amount of fuel.

Now, epstein drives are not infinite delta-v generators, they are simply a whole lot more efficient but the assumption that they can just burn at 10gs forever is incorrect. So... while 0.3g isn't high acceleration, if you accelerate at 0.3 for an hour you add 1000m/s to your velocity, so if you keep doing that for a while you achieve a decent velocity, flip mid way through and then decelerate until you reach orbital velocity. It will probably take a few weeks/months depending on the relative orbital positions of the planets.

etc etc

I like that level of nerdism.

flosofl posted:

With math.

Prove it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes! that's the stuff.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was totally expecting some sci-fi math goon to work it out, don't worry.

Never underestimate the level goons will go to prove a point.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

flosofl posted:

"delta-v" is definitely a thing engineers say (grew up raised by engineers)(which explains a lot). I've never seen it as dV, which would be confusing I think, since typically d=derivative and delta=change.

Could be worse. Could have been Software Engineers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flesh Forge posted:

Those forums are legit

Just joined, never leaving.

Probably like GBS, but for smart people.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kesper North posted:

Somewhat fine. The couple of people sitting near him were badly burned. But yeah, it could have been way worse, and the fact that the guy just blew himself out the side of the airplane is loving hilarious, really.

I'd like to take a moment to plug the excellent Spaceflight Megathread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3580990

If you're interested in real space stuff, or just have questions like the ones that have been coming up in this thread, it's an excellent thread to follow with lots of posters who actually work in both science/exploration and commercial spaceflight.

Railgun chat: The reason why railguns are CQB weapons is because if you fire them at range, your target can detect and jink to avoid them, because they can't steer after being fired. So you want to make sure that you're so close to your target when you fire that dodging simply is not possible. The same is true for point-defense batteries; you have to wait for the missile to get close enough that it can be shot down without dodging.

Lasers work around this by - at least across the range at which they are effective as weapons - hitting their target more or less instantly, but power requirements are even higher than a railgun. The state of the art in weaponized lasers is getting to the point where we're probably going to start seeing them actually get deployed as point-defense batteries on ships and aircraft:

http://m.military.com/daily-news/2015/06/16/navy-plans-to-fire-lasers-from-carriers.html

You can see that the reasons for using lasers instead of projectiles are pretty much the same as the ones I've cited - mass, space, ammunition, cost. It's also worth considering that lasers work a lot better in space than they do in atmosphere, since there's no dust or water vapor to scatter the beam.

Missiles are going to be the go-to ship-to-ship space weapon for medium to long range engagements, pretty much exactly as portrayed in The Expanse - possibly augmented by unmanned combat drones. Missiles are a great space weapon: self-propelled, small, stealthy, and able to coast ballistically for an indefinite period before relighting their drive and going in for the kill. Also if you change your mind, you can cancel the attack. You can't take back a railgun spike.

All this being said, I think all these weapons are going to be used in various situations. I just find the absence of shipboard lasers slightly conspicuous, but as others have mentioned that may be because lasers seem less 'grounded' than projectiles. Or perhaps there's other reasons. Franck and Abraham are smart guys, they probably have a reason.

Subfuckingscribed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
MAGNETS BIATCH!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Combat Pretzel posted:

X-Wing lasers don't use magnets!

Wrong.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Magnetic_flashback_suppressor/Legends

Longbaugh01 posted:

They're not even lasers at all iirc, but like somehow-contained packages of tibanna gas or some bullshit.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/KX9_laser_cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey man, it says Moops ok?

I don't make the rules.

• Locked thread