Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Was spy-guy trying to get a clip of Holden saying he would kill him? I couldn't figure out that last scene.

I thought that was just emphasizing how much of a two-faced untrustable poo poo he is. He's in the middle of his impassioned speech about being a human being who just wants to help them survive while a) he's not entirely human and b) if he had a wireless signal he'd be doing everything he could to undermine the crew and put himself in a good position.

quote:

Hey, remember back on page 3 or so, where we were talking about other sci-fi/noirish/cyberpunk properties we'd like to see made, and someone brought up Altered Carbon?

I wonder if they'll include the bit where (Edit: eh, not going to spoilertalk an unrelated book series here). Just how they handle different bodies will be interesting too. A noir voiceover to establish that it's still 'ol Kovacs in there? Give people the same eyes or some other visual cue?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I'd assume that the as of yet unknown faction trying to cause a war using stealth ships are the terrorists. So far the belters haven't done anything in-show to warrant them being called that, aside from that one miner who threw some rocks. I'm sure they'll get to it soon enough.

Also the thing about mining in space is that you done really have to 'mine' a lot of the time in the traditional sense. You just crush up a rock a little bit at a time. Assuming we can figure out poo poo like how to smelt in space, once we're up there it'll (probably) be easier and cheaper to get everything from there and drop it down rather than dig a single new hole in Earth or Mars. Yes, iron and copper included.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

If you're not familiar with what 'slingshot' means in reference to space travel I could see that scene being very confusing but the rest is pretty easy to pick out from context.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Might as well ask in here -- anyone know if the audiobooks are good? Probably going to grab 'em all with audible credits to tide me over until next year.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I thought it might be man-made until I saw how the doctor in the last two episodes treats it. I think it was pretty clearly not something he or anyone else he knows developed, based on the reverence on display. He doesn't treat it like it is his child or anything, he treats it like it's an entirely separate godlike entity. To me that only really fits if it was found, not created.

E: ^- also it's been a long time and this poo poo was always hazy to begin with but I don't think science entirely created the T virus either. At least not originally. Wasn't it some modified ancient ant thing? I'd also accept the protomolecule as it stands as us dicking with something alien we don't understand, but I really don't think it's 100% human made.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 9, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I think you only see it that way because you already had preconceived ideas about it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I haven't read the books.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

etalian posted:

lock this thread, make new Expanse thread but then actually spend the whole year discussing Kerbal Space Program/Orbital dynamics.

If anyone is still confused about the gravity slingshot race thing, it was basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8wm2zaILzE

Keep an eye on the fuel in the upper right, he's only using the engine when that goes down.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Having listened to the first audiobook this weekend, there are lots of little changes but every single one I can think of had a pretty decent reason for happening.

Honestly the main difference isn't even really a 'change' per se -- it's just way clearer in the books that there are pretty noticeable physical differences between Belters and Earthers. Some of the nationalistic belter pride angles work a lot better when you know that you should be able to pick belters from earthers in a lineup with pretty decent accuracy just from bone structure. Not much to be done about that besides hire a bunch of people with Marfan syndrome, though.

Like, Naomi is explicitly around 2 meters tall in the book. She should tower over Holden.

E: Main thing I'd like from the show is that the space battles in the book have much more in the way of 'we fired missiles, let's wait half an hour and see if anything happens' and travel times are a lot more explicitly long in days and weeks. That doesn't necessarily make for great action-packed TV excitement, but it drives home the 'stuff in space works differently and not on a scale humans are built for' that comes up in a lot of near-future sci fi but the show sort of lacks.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 16, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

What can a fighter do that a missile can't besides get the person inside killed the first time it has to do a high G maneuver?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

We haven't had any real GoT-like book spoiler freakouts and people are asking directly so I'm not going to blackbar this.

From the Donnager fight: '"Gauss turrets firing. poo poo. It's CQB," Alex said in awe. In the history of the Coalition, no capital ship had ever gotten into a close-quarters battle. But here they were, firing the ship's big cannons, which meant that the range was sufficiently short that a nonguided weapon was viable. Hundreds or even dozens of kilometers, not thousands. Somehow the Belt ships had survived Donnager's torpedo barrage.'

So yeah it's literally never happened and this stuff hasn't been tested for real. Against smaller ships sure, but capital ships are used to being able to swat anything that looks at them sideways before they even get into railgun range.

Marines are for boarding actions, and I think it makes fine sense to have them. They're the only possible way you can capture a ship or station without blowing it up, and there are a ton of reasons why you might want to avoid doing that. I think the main thing these ships are worried about the majority of the time is police actions and dealing with crap like the station that revolted and got massacred in flashback. For that you need boots. If you're fighting a pirate ship you just blow it away, but if there's useful infrastructure you send people in to get it back.

While nosing around for that quote I found this. Is... that :filez:?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

akulanization posted:

Sure, and for patrol craft that makes sense. But for a battleship? I mean presumably if you are going to kick over someone else's sandcastle you could bring some kind of dedicated assault craft that was built to insert boarders into a hostile environment. But if you are being boarded you've already lost. The only reason a military adversary would board you instead of destroying you outright is if the battle was already decided, in which case you may as well use the self destruct because no matter how hard you fight deck by deck if will not change the possible outcomes.

The Donnager probably had some of those boarding craft, alongside the Tachi. I'm not sure that I see the problem here. I think ships, especially giant expensive ones, need to be able to fill multiple roles. When you consider that travel time from place to place can be measured in weeks, it'd be relatively important to have a single ship you can station somewhere that can take care of whatever the hell problem crops up -- if the Donnager has a few platoons of marines on standby, that means it can throw some best-in-class punches in capital ship combat (which basically hasn't happened in living memory) and still be perfectly usable if bumscrew station gets taken over by extremists and it's the closest ship at hand. Or just have people to stand guard on relief missions so that no hungry belter ends up stealing more beans then they're allowed. Since it's been cold war for a long time, it's not really explicit what some of these big mean ships are for, exactly. Besides to show off.

I think the problem might just be calling it a 'battleship' to begin with. I dunno that ship classes in this universe translate exactly to navy ones, and the universe has a lot of great background detail but it's mostly not mega crunchy military jargon.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

akulanization posted:

I'm not sure what's going on in the background that the MCRN would risk a ship that must have been very time consuming and expensive to build on duties that a ship or two a fraction of the size, cost, and crew complement could do.

What's the risk? The Donnager is the most capable ship in the system.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Space fighters are basically just terrible in a universe with realistic physics. The only thing that keeps a big ship safe from thousand-kilometer-away torpedo strikes is the point defense weapons, and fighters are way too light to carry much ammo for one of those. Any weapon you mount on a fighter isn't going to have the range or power to actually reach out and touch an enemy ship, making them doubly useless. Also, they don't have dick for fuel.

This isn't book-reader spoiler talk, btw. Books don't even mention fighters because no one would be stupid enough to build one. Giant SF nerds have been thinking about this poo poo for over half a century, and there are tons of articles and posts and videos by hardened autists about how they'll never work.

Space fighters are cool and I love the poo poo out of 'em but they're one of the first things to go when you're building a baseline physics space navy.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

flosofl posted:

I'll also cop to geeking out over the relatively realistic representation of zero-g/micro-g environments, the little effects a spinning habitat has on how fluid moves, etc... That's a large part of the show for me.

Yeah. For me the intro with Julie was enough of a hook just because of this alone. "Oh, they're actually trying to do real zero-G in a sci fi show on TV? I'm watching every episode of this poo poo!"

I'm sure at some point if we get an influx of hard SF (lol) that hook won't be enough anymore and this definitely says more about me than the show's writing, but all the same the intro caught my interest despite not knowing who the girl was or what was happening just because it immediately displays that it's not regular-flavor sci fi. :shrug:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Yeah not to be that guy but talking about background detail of basic or political situations is different than actual character circumstances that haven't been in the show yet.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Remember that this is a TV show thread so careful with book-difference spoilers. Like "I'll be exceptionally disappointed if they don't pull the "Mars/Earth is uninvolved, it was evil Protogen all along" twist in lieu of "Oh Mars is just the bad guy"' probably not okay untagged. Especially once you get through the season finale, they end it in a weird spot where some Important Stuff hasn't gone down yet but it has in the books.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

Oh god kiwi accents always stick out like a sore thumb in american tv shows :cripes:

I didn't realize until I saw a screenshot with a caption that Bobbie is saying 'Who are we?' in the trailer. I thought it was just "Ooo- ahh- wei" as some sort of futuristic Marine ooh-rah. :eng99:

Looks like they didn't allow filming of the whole SDCC panel but they threw up a couple snippets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSJZj5XiTAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad_ANGiYb2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nW8KhUNtkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEfG7H4IqTo

Frankie Adams had some sort of flight delay so didn't make it in time, oh well.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Didn't notice that they did put the whole panel up eventually. Might not help with you people in inferior regions, though. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLOzh1gL4xM

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Below Lexx, above Tripping The Rift (everything is above Tripping The Rift.)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

One thing the show doesn't get across, probably because it's more dramatic, is that they could see the ships coming at them for days, not hours. Space is big, and travel is slow and noisy. You can burn hard at the start and go ballistic to make yourself look like a piece of junk (or even less, with the stealth tech) but the burn itself will always be visible to basically everyone in the solar system. And if you go ballistic and your target decides to change course by a single degree before you get there you might miss them by a million miles.

Also,

quote:

With that in mind, re-reading Nemesis Game...

There's a book thread now! It needs more posts. I think talking about stuff that has already happened in the books is fine but stuff like that from book 5, even if you don't say anything specific, is kinda bad form in this one.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 7, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

They either overload the Anubis' reactor or use its own missiles, I think? Good point about the explosion being noticed but I guess the question is who'd want to do anything about it? No one knows what got exploded or why, and half the solar system thinks they're probably terrorists already.

Also, to know it was the Roci specifically you'd also need to look at the timing of arrival and departure logs from the station they've been to and sync up with the drive signature that went to an asteroid then ran away from an exploding one -- but that station was Eros so good luck with that. :unsmigghh:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 7, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

You guys appear to be arguing about maritime law so I'm not sure what relevance it has. You should probably check with a space lawyer for the real scoop.Typical Earthers, rubbing everyone in the face with the fact that you have oceans.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Maybe it's regional? Virginia, USA. :shrug:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

At home now and it shows up when I look at Amazon on my PC, just not on my phone or tablet.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It feels like Ceres is totally self sufficient in The Expanse.

They deffo need water -- the Cant blowing up means tightening the water rations and there's mention that another late shipment will lead to dead people in the streets. I think the first five minutes of the show after Julie's prologue has a guy saying 'Ceres had water for a thousand generations but those Earth and Mars jerks stole it all.'

Re-watched the other day and one thing I hope they emphasise a bit more in S2 is travel time. Not that we need whole episodes in transit dragging things down, but that things are days and weeks apart from each other is sort of mentioned offhand more than it is actually felt.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Oh, okay. I thought you meant they had it on-site already.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Background details are one thing but that's a doozy of a spoiler in terms of the season coming up. There IS a book thread.

^- They barely say the name. Nothing concrete. Even that it was found, not made is only hinted at and people in this thread missed evidence on first watch.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 4, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I would like an hour long 'the science of the Expanse' special, because it would be cool and interesting even if I know most of it already.

Maybe not for another season or two, though. I really like the stuff about (not a plot spoiler but just in case) Ganymede being the bread basket / nursery of the outer planets because it's the only moon with a magnetosphere so it gets less rems from Jupiter than everything around it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I've always thought sky cities were neat but not really very hard sci fi-ey. How do you deal with turbulence and poo poo? Atmosphere doesn't really give you a stable platform to build anything on, and what happens when a random hurricane below means a low pressure burp that sinks your whole assembly down a mile without much warning? I don't think a lot of engineers would like the idea of building something expensive on top of a system with as many chaotic variables as even the most sedate atmo.

Like, if you have anti-grav tech to work with then it's way more reasonable but they explicitly don't have there here.

To the Venus question specifically, (this is very vague) it comes up, yes.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Why would you post that in this thread when the question has been answered? It's just leaving a land mine for a show watcher to mouse over.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

They still can't out-accelerate a rail gun. :hellyeah:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

In the show people leave each other a lot of video voicemails but they never actually point out that it's because long-range communication is incredibly annoying. I noticed this on a rewatch -- stuff like Miller getting info from his friend on Eros, Julie's angry dear-dad letters, and even Johnson giving the Roci people his 'I'll protect you' speech are all canned messages with no back-and-forth.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

AMA on Reddit in 20 minutes if you have any pressing questions for the writers. E: here.

< 1 week left! Woo.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 26, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Duckbag posted:

They also had a healer (but he got fragged),

The healer was played by someone who got a job in another city and had to ditch the group like three weeks into the campaign.

One of the biggest additions in the show compared to the books is that the books the main party gels a lot faster in a way that doesn't feel as believable. It's more obvious that it's just a bunch of people who sat down at a table together, and in the show they add some extra tribulations before trust is gained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I think the POV shots were just to make clear without using actual dialog that dude was a lying liar pants on fire. He's always looking for a way out and actively backstabbing the crew while insisting he's doing otherwise. They probably mainly wanted the one on Eros where he calls the hit squad on them, but they had to establish the POV shots a few times so it didn't totally come out of the blue when it happened.

• Locked thread