Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just want to point out that Agilefall is a really awkward system because it doesn't roll off the tongue. If you switch to Scrummerfall, things go much more smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Waterfall 2006 is generally superior to Agile anyways.

http://www.waterfall2006.com/

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

I'm trying to get promoted to Lead Developer which is a team lead position, and one of the "areas for improvement" (thing keeping me from that promotion) is that our sprint commitment completion isn't good enough. I should be able to estimate and deliver within 85% of the commitments. In the context of being a team lead, does that change your guys assessment and seem fair? I feel like since it's about the teams effort and I'm going after a leadership position it kind of makes sense, but my gut says that it is an oversimplification of the practical effort and progress that I make and help enable others to make.

How dumb are you? Just inflate your team's estimates until you meet your "goals" 100% of the time. Perception is reality.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

This isn't really the game I want to play is why I haven't already done it.

Yeah, pretty much no one wants to play that game, but let me be the first to welcome you to reality!

Edit:

KoRMaK posted:

It's an honor system sort of thing. I should still be estimating in good faith. Please stop focusing on this. I am already aware of the premise.

If you decide that your self-perceived honor matters more than promotions or money... congratulations, you win something I guess?

Double-edit:

In fact, think of it as a test to see whether you are politically retarded or if you can manipulate the system in a tiny, inconsequential way to make yourself look good.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 13, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

I also have faith in my manager because he has collaborated with me previously to make changes for the better, and we have a good working relationship because of his openness and our rapport. :)

You may want to ask yourself if your manager ended up looking good as a result of those changes, and whether they would look good fighting what is a metric presumably coming from their boss? And, if the metric isn't coming from above them, how good is your working relationship really that they haven't acknowledged your performance yet?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

I also have the opportunity to overhaul the metrics and start tracking other stuff. Before I do that though I have to find worth while stuff to track.

If you do happen across objective measures of developer performance that can clearly be measured in a quantitative manner, please let us all know. Personally, at least, I would be overjoyed to find such a thing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ithaqua posted:

Because they trust consultants more than their employees. I work for a consulting agency and I see it all the time. About 75% of the time, I tell them to do what someone on the team is already saying they should do, but because it came from the mouth of A CONSULTANT, it's somehow more valid and correct.

When the consultant says it, it means the manager who hired the consultant gets credit.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

Remote pair programming: always terrible or can it be tolerable?

"Oh, did the connection drop again or have you stroked out and are no longer typing?" It depends on your connection and the technology used, but it doesn't have to be super terrible as long as you are both land-lined on good connections.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

How do you measure how complex a programming task is if not in how much time it will take?

It's a fun game Agile aficionados like to play. You see, X points can't be mapped onto Y hour/days of week, because there are so many variables (meetings, team variability, etc.). This conveniently ignores that after a certain amount of time, you'll have a rough idea for a given team and environment what the points -> time mapping looks like (note: this is literally the concept of velocity). Some people get really frustrated when you try to turn points into time though.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JawnV6 posted:

For a given team, in a given two weeks, you can produce Y points. Anything more fine grained is destined to failure, and any other consumer of points will destabilize it. The "convenience" of the ignorance is enforcing the abstraction layer at which it works.

I'm all on board with points, and the Fibonacci numbers have built in ranges and can convey uncertainty. I just object to people who can't handle it when someone points out that a 3 point story is typically e.g. 2-4 days worth of work, or that 1 point story should generally be completed within a day. It's helpful to baseline things in reality, and comparing stories to stories can be useful, but so can comparing stories to actual time.

Consider two stories, one has been sized at 3 points. The next story is being talked about, and everyone agrees it's substantially larger and sizes at 5 points. If you look at actual time anticipated, maybe 5 points at a week's worth of time minimum (for example) doesn't actually make sense because no one thinks it will take that long, and instead the earlier story should be re-sized down, or explored further.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A company I worked for adopted a waterfall front-end process complete with quality gates, reviews, and approvals, with an agile development process complete with dedicated scrum masters and product owners. The entire system was overseen by ISO, SPICE, LEAN, and Six Sigma, all at the same time.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why does it seem like the vast majority of remote work dev jobs are for Ruby?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vulture Culture posted:

don't knock trace logging, especially for distributed systems

Until you have to turn off the trace level logging because they cost more to process and store than your actual data, literally doubling hardware costs in some cases. The real trick is to actively audit your system with a basic expert system AI so that the only logs produced are the ones that need to be looked at.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

necrobobsledder posted:

Plenty of moderately competent developers living in flyover country making 60k... as junior developers.

Plenty of people habitually undersell themselves too!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Unit tests can also cover code without meaningfully testing it, which is pretty much what's guaranteed to happen if developers are writing tests after the fact and aiming for a certain code coverage metric.

One rule of thumb I like to use is that as the number of mocked objects and verify() calls increases, the less useful and more brittle the unit test.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Still, a 10KLOC class would seem to be the fruit of actual, purposeful commitment to terrible design, instead of something that just happens because no one was paying attention.

You've never seen a math/physics PhD with one CSC101 course under their belt getting paid big bucks to write financial software? Cause that's how that happens, at least in my personal experience.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ratbert90 posted:

This isn't controversial at all. There are some tests that can't be done by way of automation.

Depends on the app. A simple, stand-alone RESTful microservice can be 100% automated testing and deployment.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

Yep. Ten years of Java experience where they only worked with a legacy Java 6 code base is not super valuable to most employers.

But then when they look for a replacement, they will look for someone with 10 years experience in their exact tech stack, reject anyone who doesn't tick off having Tapestry 2 plus applet experience in IE6 with domain knowledge, and then wonder why they can't find anyone.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

csammis posted:

Did you tell the reviewer or the rest of your team, personally and not just a comment on the PR, "I found a critical issue and will be submitting a PR to fix it"? No offense intended but if they're fresh off your gigantic refactoring PRs they might not have actually understood that this was a defect that needed fixing in the short term.

Yeah, that sounds like they think he's overreaching and by-passing the process. Maybe his fix wasn't the only way to fix things, and there was a discussion happening he was unaware about on how to do the fix. Some leads just need a heads-up, others want or need to make sure they also really understand the problem as well as the solution before letting work in.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

I still don't understand how to merge conflicts in svn. Like, is it like sourcesafe where two people just shouldn't work on the same file at the same time?

Use a third party tool. IntelliJ dealt pretty well with simple SVN conflicts in the mid 2000's. In general though, you're just in for a world of hurt if things have gotten at all complicated with files moving/renamed/etc.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HardDiskD posted:

... What's grooming?

We have a British scrum master that flips the gently caress out if you say "backlog grooming" because pedophiles. It's "backlog refinement" now.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Isn't the whole point of grooming to get the stories as small as possible? I prefer 5-8 points myself, but I'm weird.

No, the primary objective of grooming is to understand and discuss the stories to share knowledge and planning across the team. The secondary objective is to rough-in sizes for stories to give the PO (or whoever) a rough idea of the work required to clear the backlog and to force thinking about scope and relative effort. As a tertiary point, grooming gives you the opportunity to break stories apart (or join them together) to aid in the primary and secondary objectives, but at no point should the objective be to make stories as small as possible. Stories should fit into a sprint and be well understood, anyone sperging about sizes after that is missing the point.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Damnit, so I did. Bad memories of a PO that had us break apart 2 story point stories because there were clearly severable AC.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Munkeymon posted:

Not to me on both counts :shrug:

Yes, that's why it's being mentioned. Those terms don't fit at all.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, I've got a great idea. Let's build a well-modularized monolith, and then hire new "architects" that decide to force a split into microservices for purely theoretical future value while simultaneously moving to an entirely new, untested alpha-level deployment platform, re-write all our tests in a different test framework, then act really surprised when (as the engineering teams said 6 months ago), there's no way to meet deliverable deadlines and it ends up costing way more than the monolith while being poo poo at performance and stability. Oh, and the monolith? Let's stop any new feature development there, but still actively support it and apply bug fixes. When everyone starts realizing this was perhaps not such a great idea, chalk it up to a learning experience and start the process again but with a different deployment platform :suicide:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

[*]As a result of that, code quality is shoddy because acceptance is all that matters.

The most frequent of Agile pitfalls...

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sagacity posted:

But if you have zero-point bugs and your velocity goes down because of that, isn't that then a valid metric as well? I mean, it shows you're spending more and more time fixing bugs than actually working on stories, which seems like a very useful indication that somewhere in the development process (not necessarily development) something is not going as planned.

You shouldn't be chastised for the drop in velocity obviously, that makes little sense.

Velocity should be treated like a closely guarded secret that must never be released outside the scrum team. If you let the secret out, it will become useless.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gildiss posted:

I highly recommend The Mythical Man-Month for a read. Some parts can be a bit dated as it was written in 1975, but it rings so true and I work in hell please save me.

No, that's pretty normal in large corporate companies (autocompletion said corpse though and it's probably more right).

Oh, you just need more resources? No problem, will keep em coming until we get restructured for failing to deliver.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sunaurus posted:

How exactly does paid time off work in US based software companies? I mean, I have a general understanding that US labor laws don't really aim to protect/help average citizens, but surely software companies need to step up and offer good conditions in order to keep their devs happy? Seeing how there's always a shortage of developers.

Just as a point of reference, I just finished planning my vacation schedule for this year. I get 55 days of paid vacation, because:

In addition to all that, I can get unlimited paid time off for medical reasons every year.

My expectation has always been that if I some day decided to work for a US based company, I could still get similar conditions, but based on the previous posts here, I'm starting to doubt this. Can anyone clear it up for me?

You will probably not see those levels of PTO. Where I work, there's a maximum of 40 days of PTO, 10 days sick leave, bereavement as needed. That's for people with a decade of service, new hires typically start with 20 days PTO and go up to 30 days at the one year mark. This is the most generous plan I've ever personally seen with guaranteed PTO.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Virigoth posted:

Seems about right. Our 11 person one that's actually TWO teams + mgmt time takes 45 a day. I decided to stop dying on that hill complaining about it and get a free 45 minutes

Fight to be the presenter and open up a meeting cost clock.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doghouse posted:

Haha at my first job we had a team of~50 (including devs, BAs, SQAs, etc) and stand-up only took like 10 minutes. It was awesomely efficient.

And useless I would guess. No way are you doing anything meaningful in 10 seconds per person. That meeting is replaceable with a Jira board.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gildiss posted:

Stand ups are only useful for forcing a completely disfunctional team to communicate with each other. Otherwise most people know how to tell others what they are doing and if they need help in real-time throughout the day. In theory.

Most teams in most (read: not top-tier) companies will have at least one member that isn't necessarily dysfunctional, but that simply isn't proactive or motivated. It is sometimes incredibly hard to deal with these people unless you are their manager and have some control over discretionary compensation, but that's really an aside. The point is that these people need to be tasked, and without standups they will happily sit there doing nothing until told something to do. Some ultra mild group shaming in standup can be effective (e.g. "Could you take something more today if you get your work done? What would that be? What specifically do you want to accomplish today, can you talk me through it?"). Some people need that sort of near-hourly accountability to keep them productive, while it's a terrible strategy to use with otherwise effective devs.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Virigoth posted:

I've always heard ~warnings~ about not working on personal projects or open source on your work laptop because they might claim it. Anyone ever had that bite them in the rear end? I've worked on any huge projects of my own yet but I've always heard this caution.

Depends entirely on the company and your position/value. Check with your manager about general policies and follow them. If you contributed to something that became worth serious money, it may not matter though because your company's lawyers will have increasing incentives to take action if they think they might be able to finagle a settlement. Get a lawyer immediately when it comes to IP that you aren't going to just hand over, but make sure it's worth it because you're not likely to be retaining your employment .

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Have you politely explained that code coverage is meaningless yet?

At a previous position, I just told my manager we'd get him whatever numbers he needed. I then created a class with 10k loc and 100% coverage that did nothing and wasn't connected to anything. His bosses loved the code coverage numbers our team consistently delivered.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a foolish pianist posted:

I get 5 weeks paid vacation, but I suspect that's because Nokia, which just bought us, is a Finnish company.

Nokia must have given you a sweat-heart deal in you're in the US. They did start people with a decent 3 weeks, going up to 5 weeks over like a decade.

I currently work for an unlimited company. Got approved for 2 1/2 weeks off around my 6 month mark for employment, plan on asking for another 2 weeks another 6 months after that and see how it goes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Keetron posted:

Ok but 3 or 4 or 5 spaces?

1 HTML nbsp character and 1 ASCII space separated by a poop emoji. Finding an indent is just about counting the poops.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dedicated scrum masters serve a purpose when teams aren't empowered, or when team leads are very poor at their job, or when there is no team lead.

The rest of the time, distributing their salary among the devs would be the best outcome.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People can whinge about "passion", but guess what, the individual attributes that would make sense and be far more specific aren't part of any protected class either. Don't want to hire salaried engineers at $200k that won't sometimes work weekends? That's A-OK. Don't want to hire people who don't prioritize business profits over social justice? That's A-OK too.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AskYourself posted:

Also sometimes it seems like being passionate about code is the only passion candidate should have. What about being passionate about fitness as well as code ? Or being passionate about being a good father.

It's pretty neutral to be passionate about other things, unless that gets in the way of development work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CPColin posted:

Now I get to create this backlog a third time! And my PO wants me to draft an email to get requirements from Customer and then have another meeting to review it!

Tell them to get hosed, that's their job.