Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aramoro posted:

I'm not even a VP and I can settle my scores.

If a resume says 'I will never whine to management about PR comments', I would definitely read the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Vulture Culture posted:

You might actually undermine the manager's case for a PIP if you gently caress up the chain of custody of the documentation they're supposed to use. And if HR has even a whiff that the manager might have been using their own directs to spy and gather evidence to make a case for a PIP, you can be guaranteed that your initiative will be in front of your HRBP before you can squeak

I don't understand these sentences and I hope it is because we are thinking about the situation in completely different ways.

There's definitely a line of "complaining too much" but if you think a coworker is not pulling their weight and/or is tough to deal with, you should definitely express that to management. Try to throw in some good points too, and expect the management to say "Thanks, but don't get in the habit of doing this", because complaining about coworkers is a bad habit.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Steve French posted:

I’ve never understood the idea of standups being for sharing blockers. If I’m blocked on something I’m sure as hell not waiting for a meeting to communicate that

That's valid and that's part of the philosophy that the standup should be 15 minutes max for up to 8 people. No surprises, no discussions.
Part of the purpose of it is to shine a spotlight on folks who didn't communicate blockers early, and spotlight when blockers persist.

That's the theory, anyway

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The best part of standups is when everyone learns to just tune their coworkers out and you can reference tickets that don't exist or learning to divide by zero because people would rather leave than ask a question.

The worst part is how they're designed to be the most efficient way for a manager to put pressure on a team.

I don't even think about doing fast standups because we have some real talkers on the team, and I'd rather just check in with folks one on one than try to turn that ship around.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Just to clarify some of my smart-assery:
- I manage a hardware-firmware-software team. Folks are generally working on very separate parts of a project. We've tried using standups for folks to stay in touch, but it ends up being a time waster because folks are generally on very separate parts, and we have a few folks who like to talk.
- Other folks in my company use standups as meandering, unplanned meetings, as if calling them "standups" made them efficient and useful
- Forcing people to communicate and coordinate is important, I think standups generally try to push this onto the Engineers and force them to interact in the standup. It's trying to solve the problem where an engineer leaves a piece for someone else, and they need to know to pick it up. It's a valid problem, but if people aren't handling that on their own, I don't know if the standup will fix things better than talking to people directly.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Apoffys posted:

Kind of, I guess?
The idiot who needs this explicit, detailed README is usually me when I come back to a repo I haven't touched in months.

Write the document for the idiot you will be in 6 months is a great standard for documentation.
Keeping it in a readme vs a wiki/confluence, there a pros and cons for each way.
It is criminal to keeping this document in Word in an ISO folder next to the dress code and outdated presentation templates.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Phobeste posted:

Also it's like 99% easier to say "oh the setup stuff is in the readme [link]" than "uhh let me go find that on the wiki,"

Yeah but the wiki will often have better tools for editing and viewing, "finding it on the wiki" is like 45 seconds of using the Search bar, and it lets you search everywhere for "what projects use CMake".
There are other benefits to using a readme, either way could be fine depending on specifics.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I thought my team was the only one with someone against automation. 'Maybe it won't be perfect' is not a good reason continue doing dumb bullshit by hand

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Volguus posted:

As in? I'd be a bit curious to find out the reason you think that way. We're coworkers, not friends. We try to get along, to help each other achieve the common goal (whatever that is), but it is nothing more than that. Yes, I have made friends, decades long friends, at work. Just visited one last Blizzcon, he works at Blizzard now, know him since 1999. But that's the exception and definitely not the rule. Want to get out and have a beer? By all means, nothing is stopping you. But forcing that interaction on people? That's just loving evil. And they know it.

As I said earlier: CEOs do have their motives. None of them involve productivity, employee happiness, or the well being of the company long term. They are actual ghouls, devoid of any humanity, if they even had any to begin with.

In general I disagree with you, but I'm glad I'll never need to talk to you while grabbing some coffee.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The purpose of rto is that any meeting with more than 2 active participants is a loving slog as a remote meeting, getting worse with more active people.

Software is different in that code/schematic and end of sprint meetings can be better remote, but the further you get from those meetings the worse remote meetings get.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mega Comrade posted:

I actually prefer remote meetings. I can get work done.
There are times when this is fine and times when it isn't. When its fine, you may as well say "Can you send me the minutes" or "I'll work in the corner until my part comes up" if it were in person, but yeah remoting in to that kind of meeting works better. When it isn't fine, it means you've checked out of a meeting where your input would have been valuable.

If you need to have a vigorous debate or hammer out an understanding, remote meetings are poo poo, they get worse the more people are actively involved, and they can go horrible with misinterpretations. I am not an extrovert, I am not paid by Big Real Estate, but I do have to coordinate with a lot of people across a lot of departments and it is easy to see that this is done better in person. At best, people who are disciplined with their remote communication are slightly better than people flopping their way through in person communication. There are a lot of other benefits to being in office, but that's the main one I see.

The real point here is CEOs and upper management generally deal with more active meetings than code reviews, so they see the poo poo part of WFH more than the good part. To say they care more about realestate value than the productivity of the company is some "they're lizard people" thinking.

Volguus posted:

It depends on who they are. A CEO ... we have expanded on it. A pleb? Maybe evil is not the right word, maybe selfish is better. They are extroverts looking for get their energy from people, so they want people around, whether those people wanna be there or not. Maybe they're gunning for that promotion so they're looking to kiss someones rear end. There could a bunch of reasons.
How are the extroverts more selfish than you?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Blinkz0rz posted:

This is a skill issue tbh

I'm one of like 20 principal engineers in an engineering org of around 800 or so, am full-time remote, and I spend the vast majority of working hours on calls.

Everything you point to as being better in-person has never been an issue in my org because we're globally distributed and our default condition is that all of our meetings always include some remote communication even if it's office-to-office.

Really the issue comes down to people who don't want to spend time thinking about how other people work and respecting that difference. If you wanna work in an office that's cool, you do you. But you can't convince me that there's something inherently superior about it just like I won't try to convince you that working from home is better.

It is a skill issue and you can work around it if you invest some time and practice in it, but there's a cost associated with that and you'll find people outside software or young-ish engineers are less likely to pay that cost, so good luck having useful meetings with the Mech E team or production folks who really don't have a WFH option.
"There's a cost to WFH but I think it is worth it" is fair and a far cry from "CEOs are being paid by office rental companies to prevent me from working from home"

Xarn posted:

e.g. my mom is not in tech, but has risen fairly high up in management in global pharma corp. Half of her typical day is spent in meeting (some days even more rip), but those meetings are all remote even if she is in office, because the participants won't even be in the same timezone, much less in the same office.
My guess from working with folks like that is she's getting reports or check ins most of the time, which is fine, and if there's a big meeting like a kickoff or strategy session it is done in person, either she travels or people come to her. An upper management guy I know spends about half his time traveling for stuff like this, but he's excessively hands on.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Oooo thank you!

I'd even go so far as to believe that languages more discussed online have fewer AI blunders; ie they can filter all the irrelevant SO answers more quickly than a human reading. Alas, I suspect accuracy drops off precipitously.

This is definitely true. Basic chatgpt will also confuse recent major versions of libraries, IIRC this was an issue with Pydantic.
E it also has some confusion for pandas dataframes vs polars dataframes

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I used to have a difficult time believing that people could be too dumb to do google searches but watching people try to use chatgpt as a resource and failing at it somehow reduces my already extremely shaky faith in humanity even more.

?
Maybe I'm the idiot, but the free chat gpt's knowledge was frozen a while ago, and it routinely confuses less known stuff with well known stuff, like confusing Polars dataframes with Pandas.
The person deserves to be laughed at for being too reliant on chat gpt, but it's a legit problem with the tool

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Are you familiar with how dogs will piss on the same tree to show they're on top?
Pull Requests work the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Answering a question with 'read this page I wrote months ago'' is a highly fulfilling feeling