Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah it's hard to imagine getting to that level of management without being able to settle your own scores

I'm not even a VP and I can settle my scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Falcon2001 posted:

This reads like 'Sub-60 person company' to me at least, dunno if I missed something outlining size. Lots of companies like that are run by just total weirdos.

I'm doing it all wrong. Because I'm a weirdo and in charge of nothing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Aramoro posted:

Puts you miles ahead of many of my coworkers, congrats

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Falcon2001 posted:

This reads like 'Sub-60 person company' to me at least, dunno if I missed something outlining size. Lots of companies like that are run by just total weirdos.

Can confirm. From multiple experiences.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aramoro posted:

If a resume says 'I will never whine to management about PR comments', I would definitely read the whole thing

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah it's hard to imagine getting to that level of management without being able to settle your own scores

Title inflation. VP of 18 engineers at a 60 person company.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

StumblyWumbly posted:

If a resume says 'I will never whine to management about PR comments', I would definitely read the whole thing

People come to me to whine about PR comment now, it's the worst. Yeah the PR comment very politely told you that you fuckin suck and now I have to rephrase that in such a way that you understand that you fuckin suck but without saying that.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Aramoro posted:

People come to me to whine about PR comment now, it's the worst. Yeah the PR comment very politely told you that you fuckin suck and now I have to rephrase that in such a way that you understand that you fuckin suck but without saying that.

This isn't the flex you think it is.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hughlander posted:

Title inflation. VP of 18 engineers at a 60 person company.

It really is title inflation in this case. The guy hasn’t held any VP positions or anything past “Sr. SW engineer” until this point so I’m fairly sure he’s just an rear end in a top hat who let the title go to his head

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 25, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Blinkz0rz posted:

Seriously.

How to write code review comments is a good, straightforward read. It also assumes good faith, however.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I got a direct promoted to staff engineer based on his PR comments a few years ago

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

I don't think it's a flex. I don't want people coming to me to whine about PR comments, want the engineers to speak to each other. The comments are generally fine, they just disagree with them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well gently caress, I said too much and now I'm a VP reporting directly to the CEO.

I don't even remember what a computer is anymore

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Well gently caress, I said too much and now I'm a VP reporting directly to the CEO.

:rip:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Macichne Leainig posted:

Is this a fever dream or a real comment because what

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Macichne Leainig posted:

Turns out this is actually one of those situations where the only way you can get out of being a genie is to trick someone else into becoming the genie. Sorry, you'll have to passive aggressively gently caress with someone until they can lift the curse and bear it themselves. Better get to HR and get started.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

My job has me feeding my IC status reports directly into the CTO right now which is only vaguely terrifying. Nothing quite like owning a project that Netflix tried and failed (mine will work (or else))

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Godspeed 🫡

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Falcon2001 posted:

Is this a fever dream or a real comment because what

No, and I had the same thought frankly.

Because my (now former) boss had quit, and declined the exit interview, I guess they had a bit of a leadership vacancy to fill.

I'm not replacing the rear end in a top hat VP, but now I am completely lateral to him and reporting to the CEO directly (neither of which is necessarily great, I think I like the CEO actually but we'll see how long that optimism lasts)

I think my title is now VP of Artificial Intelligence, which I thought was terrifying because I don't know that much about AI as deeply as many of my peers, but also knowledge is evidently meaningless in these levels of positions :shrug:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vulture Culture posted:

My job has me feeding my IC status reports directly into the CTO right now which is only vaguely terrifying. Nothing quite like owning a project that Netflix tried and failed (mine will work (or else))

Good luck with your dvd mailing system

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Macichne Leainig posted:

No, and I had the same thought frankly.

Because my (now former) boss had quit, and declined the exit interview, I guess they had a bit of a leadership vacancy to fill.

I'm not replacing the rear end in a top hat VP, but now I am completely lateral to him and reporting to the CEO directly (neither of which is necessarily great, I think I like the CEO actually but we'll see how long that optimism lasts)

I think my title is now VP of Artificial Intelligence, which I thought was terrifying because I don't know that much about AI as deeply as many of my peers, but also knowledge is evidently meaningless in these levels of positions :shrug:

Ask a lot of questions, make few assumptions, good luck!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
This is gonna sound like such a lovely ask, but… Does anyone have any tips on the best way to complain about coworkers to the manager?

In my ten years of working life, I’ve never had any problems finding a way to collaborate and work with people (even when I secretly hated them), but one of the guys on my team right now wavers between the two extremes of “I have stopped giving a single gently caress” and “our names are going to be on this, we need to take pride in what we do” seemingly dependent entirely on how he woke up that day. None of this would bother me except for the fact that he pretty openly talks about how he is “above” doing the kind of work we do, and yet takes forever to get the bare minimum done, which has started to block my progress significantly.

I’m really starting to worry I’m gonna get the bad rap because it’s my name on the three week late PR that has been waiting on his additions.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 30, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

You've just got to tell them.

1) Coworkers are not your friends
2) Managers especially not

So you're not helping anyone's feelings or anything by not saying something. If you have a problem with them then it's more than likely the people are as well. So if your manager is paying attention at all then you'll just be confirming what they already know.

Absolutely do not stress yourself out, potentially damaged your career or anything like that by trying to work through it. Assuming you have a 121 with them bring it up in that highlighting the stuck ticket and outline what the hold up is and make it clear it's a pattern of behaviour. It's important to be clear about it's a behaviour that's causing issues not that you just don't like them.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 30, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah. Broach the subject with him first, then go the manager if he doesn't oblige. I suggest you start by asking him what's preventing him from completing the PR. Then try to steer the conversation in a positive direction by asking him what the plan to move forward with it is. Try to come out of the conversation with a deadline.

Log these discussions on the PR or issue tracker to cover your rear end, e.g. "Spoke with Jerk about the additions blocking this PR, said he would have them done by 10/9." Go above his head as a last resort; this will create drama and stress for you especially if your manager is not good at managing.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah. Broach the subject with him first, then go the manager if he doesn't oblige. I suggest you start by asking him what's preventing him from completing the PR. Then try to steer the conversation in a positive direction by asking him what the plan to move forward with it is. Try to come out of the conversation with a deadline.

Log these discussions on the PR or issue tracker to cover your rear end, e.g. "Spoke with Jerk about the additions blocking this PR, said he would have them done by 10/9." Go above his head as a last resort; this will create drama and stress for you especially if your manager is not good at managing.

Normally I’d agree, but he doesn’t seem too keen on receiving feedback. I tried to apply logic reasoning against what he considered a blocker (also, it wasn’t even a blocker) so that we could keep progressing, but he took it personally and then just disappeared for the rest of the day. He seems to have a complex where if you don’t agree with him, he will take his ball and just go home.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Agreement isn’t the point. The first point is covering your rear end. The second is creating a paper trail you can point at to talk abstractly about “missed action items” instead of personally attacking your coworker for being a baby. This also shows you’re willing to take action on problems instead of “being a negative person.” Otherwise, you are betting that your manager will pick your word over the other guy’s.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Normally I’d agree, but he doesn’t seem too keen on receiving feedback. I tried to apply logic reasoning against what he considered a blocker (also, it wasn’t even a blocker) so that we could keep progressing, but he took it personally and then just disappeared for the rest of the day. He seems to have a complex where if you don’t agree with him, he will take his ball and just go home.

Document all of your interactions with him so you have a paper trail.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Document and disengage (emotionally) is the way.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeha document, but also bring it up with your manager sooner rather than later.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Agreement isn’t the point. The first point is covering your rear end. The second is creating a paper trail you can point at to talk abstractly about “missed action items” instead of personally attacking your coworker for being a baby. This also shows you’re willing to take action on problems instead of “being a negative person.” Otherwise, you are betting that your manager will pick your word over the other guy’s.
As a manager I'd be pissed if a direct report thought it was their job to document perceived performance issues with coworkers. In a lot of environments, these kind of high-drama antics are a fast track to finding your own rear end out the door. Bring up a single issue, explain the impact to you, explain that it keeps happening, then follow their lead. You might actually undermine the manager's case for a PIP if you gently caress up the chain of custody of the documentation they're supposed to use. And if HR has even a whiff that the manager might have been using their own directs to spy and gather evidence to make a case for a PIP, you can be guaranteed that your initiative will be in front of your HRBP before you can squeak

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 31, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"making sure your interactions with someone are in an email that can be referred to later" isn't "high drama antics".

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Vulture Culture posted:

You might actually undermine the manager's case for a PIP if you gently caress up the chain of custody of the documentation they're supposed to use. And if HR has even a whiff that the manager might have been using their own directs to spy and gather evidence to make a case for a PIP, you can be guaranteed that your initiative will be in front of your HRBP before you can squeak

I don't understand these sentences and I hope it is because we are thinking about the situation in completely different ways.

There's definitely a line of "complaining too much" but if you think a coworker is not pulling their weight and/or is tough to deal with, you should definitely express that to management. Try to throw in some good points too, and expect the management to say "Thanks, but don't get in the habit of doing this", because complaining about coworkers is a bad habit.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Jabor posted:

"making sure your interactions with someone are in an email that can be referred to later" isn't "high drama antics".
You can initiate conversations through this kind of medium. The second one someone with the social aptitude of a Something Awful Forums poster tries to redirect a coworker's conversation into email, the motives for doing that are painfully transparent to the person on the other end.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't understand these sentences and I hope it is because we are thinking about the situation in completely different ways.

There's definitely a line of "complaining too much" but if you think a coworker is not pulling their weight and/or is tough to deal with, you should definitely express that to management. Try to throw in some good points too, and expect the management to say "Thanks, but don't get in the habit of doing this", because complaining about coworkers is a bad habit.
Do that. Provide feedback to your coworker on bad interactions. Escalate to a manager if necessary. Lay out what's bothering you and you don't need to make a poo poo sandwich out of the feedback. But trying to build a case for a coworker's PIP yourself, to gift-wrap and hand to a manager, will end your career in many places. I don't recommend that course of action.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Do that. Provide feedback to your coworker on bad interactions. Escalate to a manager if necessary. Lay out what's bothering you and you don't need to make a poo poo sandwich out of the feedback. But trying to build a case for a coworker's PIP yourself, to gift-wrap and hand to a manager, will end your career in many places. I don't recommend that course of action.

This really. It's not your job to performance manage your collegue. The first thing you'll be asked when you present a bundle of evidence is 'why didn't you bring this up earlier'. You've become part of the problem at that stage.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Agree with what everyone else said. You should address it one on one first, documenting it if possible. If not, explain to your supervisor that their performance is affecting your ability to deliver your work as well.

At some point even though it is affecting you, it's not your problem to solve and as long as you've done your due diligence and can prove so if needed, you should be in the clear. Unless the company had it out for you the whole time in which case you were screwed to begin with.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

How does your manager not know you've been blocked for weeks? Does he not attend standups?

My standup comment on day two of this would be "Blocked by <someone>".

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I pity the fool that has daily stand-ups.

I would however tell my direct about being blocked early on, right after I'd see the communication on why it's taking so long break down.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

The Fool posted:

definitely second this recommendation

I got the replacement book by Tanya Reilly and it's really good. One really good recommendation from the book is that we all should create 3 maps of the organization we work in:
  • a treasure map (a list of the goals toward which the leadership currently wants to move),
  • a topographical map (all the teams in your org, with extra contour lines around the teams that have priorities which differ greatly from ours or have really long SLAs),
  • and an organizational map (the stereotypical org chart for your area of the company)

We use the treasure map to brainstorm ideas for new projects.

We use the topographical map to make our timeline estimates for our design documents, since it will remind us which teams are slower to work with.

We use the organizational map to figure out whose specific buy-in we need for our project proposals and on which teams specifically will we be dependent to deliver our projects.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Xarn posted:

I pity the fool that has daily stand-ups.

I would however tell my direct about being blocked early on, right after I'd see the communication on why it's taking so long break down.

I’ve never understood the idea of standups being for sharing blockers. If I’m blocked on something I’m sure as hell not waiting for a meeting to communicate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Steve French posted:

I’ve never understood the idea of standups being for sharing blockers. If I’m blocked on something I’m sure as hell not waiting for a meeting to communicate that

That's valid and that's part of the philosophy that the standup should be 15 minutes max for up to 8 people. No surprises, no discussions.
Part of the purpose of it is to shine a spotlight on folks who didn't communicate blockers early, and spotlight when blockers persist.

That's the theory, anyway