Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

:smug:

It sucks though because now I can't go get a coffee and come back before my project builds

RIP this comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

thanks for posting this

Yeah, hadn't seen it before either. The keynote speech "Dead Fish Can't Swim But They Can Float Down a Waterfall" made me lol

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had good success with internal Openfire Jabber servers at past jobs :unsmith: ... But this was also like 10 years ago when "imitating AOL Instant Messenger" was all you asked of your chat tool. The world has moved on.

Current job uses HipChat, which has weekly multi-hour outages during prime business hours. For a good time, subscribe to their status page email updates. We chose it over Slack because we're already all-in on the Atlassian stack anyway. But it's buggy garbage that I'd have a hard time recommending to anyone. I think I actually prefer the application to Slack; it's basically IRC with some nice tweaks for 2016. But holy poo poo is it unstable and buggy.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 14, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

revmoo posted:

You know you can run hipchat local right?

We were actually in the beta, beta ended, server kept working lol. It still works even though we aren't paying. Stopped using it though regardless. I kind of miss it.

Yeah I know. We'll probably bite the bullet and set up our own server eventually because the amount of downtime they have is absurd. But in theory it's nice to not have yet another service we have to manage and just let ~*~the cloud~*~ do it. The on-prem version is also like double the cost of cloud and we have several hundred users so it's not peanuts.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 14, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is this app like literally doing

code:
<form action="/lol.php?sql='DROP DATABASE shit_app;'" method="post">
? Because if so that is the most amazing thing I have ever heard :allears:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Job titles in programming and IT are completely loving arbitrary and vary wildly from one company to the next. I'd lobby for Architect since that's generally the more senior and respected title. But at the end of the day it's the actual role and responsibilities that matter.

For context, my title is Senior Systems Engineer. I'm 100% on the Ops side of the house (though I write enough code to be dangerous). I spend my days doing anything from writing Chef cookbooks to configuring MySQL to troubleshooting hardware issues. Which I'm guessing is very different from your role, since you're posting in CoC and the title of Architect is also in play. So to me, Systems Engineer seems inappropriate. But I'm sure other companies use it to describe high level dev leads, and to them it sounds perfectly reasonable. :shrug:

So yeah, I would push for Architect in your shoes. But I also wouldn't die on that hill if management is making a huge stinking deal over it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

leper khan posted:

I'm going to guess that the company was in financial services. Everyone is a VP because titles don't mean anything, but there are regulations around them anyway.

Likewise, go over to your sales team and ask the 17 year old intern what their title is. It's probably Senior Executive Director of Business Development or something. Because sales is a horrible arms race between "I don't want to talk to someone who's just going to waste my time" and "I don't want to seem like someone who's just going to waste their time".

I guess the real takeaway is "lol job titles" unless it's an industry where they're regulated by law. Where they're still bad but at least you know how and why.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I don't think there's any significant risk of that hurting you. To the company, you're one of THEIR more senior devs, so it's a totally reasonable title for them to assign. Recruiter/hiring manager will barely even notice your title unless it's something really goofy like VP of Engineering, or totally unrelated to development.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Have you checked that you weren't teleported back to the early 90's? Are you perhaps on the worst episode ever of Quantum Leap? Because :lol: at all of that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

rt4 posted:

Seems like code review (or any process change) should be easier to implement for a small team, supposing those people are actually Team Players™

I'm guessing it's more like "there's only 4 of us, we don't have time for code review ... because we are constantly putting out fires and taking 3 times as long to write anything due the codebase being a loving minefield of tech debt and bugs. Which wouldn't have been there if we reviewed the drat code in the first place".

Not at all saying that's Polio's stance, it's probably been that way since before they got there. Just that it's a very very common attitude. I've been on a few Ops teams that never took time to make improvements because they were always firefighting. It was awful, I got burnt out super fast, and noped on out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

The other day I went to a training session about 'change control'. I understand that changes to live systems need some kind of control, but they way they've proposed involves every single change to any production system anywhere (there are around a hundred) going through one, single, centralised 'change advisory board'. Sounds like it's going to be a massive bottleneck and frictionfest. Shouldn't that sort of thing be split up and delegated to individual teams who know best?

This is where the concept of a standard change comes in. Basically for low-risk tasks you do all the time, you present it to the CAB once. They approve it, and then you have free rein to make that change whenever necessary. You still track what was done and when, but it doesn't need to go to the weekly CAB meeting or whatever. If it turns out these changes are causing outages, that rubber stamp gets revoked until you fix your poo poo and come up with a more reliable procedure.

Not saying this is the greatest setup ever, but if they're going to go full ITIL on you, it makes change control more tolerable to navigate.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

We got $1 lottery tickets as Christmas presents. :downs:

I think that beats my "best" bonus stories, both from the same company.

1. Everyone got a $100 bill in a Christmas card. The card said "note: this is considered taxable income and a corresponding amount will be withheld from your next paycheck". It's true, but really, that's what you print in the card? Merry loving Christmas lol. The executives were notoriously insensitive and out of touch, so this was par for the course.

2. Topping that, next year everyone got a pair of tickets to the local minor league hockey team. Face value was like $20 total. Also it cost the company nothing because we advertised a ton with the team and an assload of tickets was part of the Gold Sponsor Tier or whatever. (We did also get access to a fancy suite with free food and booze a couple times a year which was fun)

Both of those were super cynical. But at least they had guaranteed tangible value.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 15, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I see you've met my coworker, who views the world in two buckets:

1) things he wrote himself, which are cool and good

2) all other code, which is worthless garbage written by idiots for idiots and you should be fired for using it because it's awful

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Except for, you know, actually operating them. Ops problem now!

Nagios event handler to restart service on any problem. Next!

(This is not a serious reply)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

To be fair, a fixed budget of sick times is *usually* reserved for terrible positions or terrible companies. Every company I have worked for as an engineer never ever had a sick time budget. My current companies policy is "If you are sick we will yell at you to go home if you come in, and if you refuse to we will fire you."

Nah, truly terrible companies do the poo poo where you get one big PTO pool for vacation/sick/personal. So you're literally incentivized to come in sick and underperform while infecting everyone else too. Otherwise you're directly cutting time off that trip you had planned to Hawaii, or family time at Christmas, or whatever. Having sick time in its own bucket is leagues better than that.

Fixed sick pool doesn't bother me as long as it's reasonably big, and the company is cool with working from home if you're sick-but-not-dead. In practice these days I only use my sick time for days my kid is too sick to go to daycare. When I'm watching her, I can't do any work at all, and I have no problem "burning" a sick day in return.

If you think that's "a truly terrible company" then hoo boy have you been lucky.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Tell them "Hey, time for standup" unless you feel like making it a management problem.

This does work better if you imitate your avatar irl when you do so.

"Hey, time for standup"
\
:supaburn:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

taqueso posted:

nah, it runs seti@home electric sheep screensaver

nah, it runs seti@home electric sheep screensaver as part of a Russian botnet

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If they're "officers" then they were the C levels? Skulls for the board throne I guess.

In any case, that seems like the strongest sign possible to polish the ole resume...

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AskYourself posted:

Wow I can relate with some stuff in this, especially the not caring part after coming back from parental leave.
Having kids really put a lot of thing into perspective, what I though was a big deal before I really didn't give a poo poo after.

Yeah. Not gonna lie, having kids took me from a couple hours per day after work of keeping on top of fancy new poo poo and best practices / labbing new tech at home to like 1-2 hours per week of that stuff.

I try to make it up by being more efficient at work and spending a couple hours per week in the office on "R&D". But yeah if you want to be heavily involved in your kids' lives, career naturally suffers at least a bit.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My wife spent a year at a job where she basically spent 75% of every week reading Facebook. She'd literally ask her boss if there was anything at all to do and he'd just be like "nah".

She was ready to jump off a bridge and ended up moving on to a different job. Bore-out is definitely a thing that can take a real toll on you.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lifg posted:

Another great reason to interview at one of the giants is the confidence boost. You'll walk into every other interview knowing that you've faced the hardest and didn't crumple.

For what it's worth, this totally worked for me. I interviewed for an ops role at Google and made it through the whole thing, including onsite, before they finally decided to pass on me. I kinda bombed the coding portion of the interview (it wasn't SRE, just standard sysadmin, so I wasn't really expecting to have to whiteboard a bunch of algorithms I hadn't touched in years). I was bummed for a while, and felt blindsided by questions irrelevant to the position I was applying for, but whatever. Lesson learned.

It DID lead to me absolutely crushing the interview for my current job, though. I had spent a ton of time cramming Linux, networking, and large-scale systems design for Google. So any technical interviews I faced after that were a walk in the park. I feel much more confident and at ease knowing that nothing is likely to be as rough as going through that wringer was.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

You joke but being able to hire devs who know X is worth taking into consideration when selecting a language/platform. At my new place this is (unfortunately) leading our stack away from Scala toward JS and Go (of all things). For a rest API :negative:

This can also go in a good direction! We have several old-rear end web services written in PHP (5.3 :gonk:). For a variety of reasons, including "ability to hire engineers who know their rear end from their elbow" and "ability to hire people excited instead of reluctant to work on the codebase", all new development is being done in Java. And existing features are being ported over as time allows.

Sagacity posted:

And speaking of bol.com, I work there and we're always looking for talented people and can assist with your move to The Netherlands. For a fairly large company we have managed to avoid most agilefall traps (most...) and it's a friendly work atmosphere. PM for details :)

Out of curiosity, is this for EU candidates, or does bol help with relocation worldwide? Realistically I have major family ties to the US and am not going anywhere, but I've visited and loved both Belgium and Amsterdam. I occasionally fantasize about moving overseas while our kids are still very young, and an employment opportunity like that would certainly make it more realistic. I'd be applying to the operations/sysadmin side of the house, for what it's worth, which Google Translate leads me to believe you have openings for.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

We can't just not paint the bikeshed.

Git hook: sed -E 's/^[[:blank:]]+//g'

There, now all bikesheds get a standard poop-brown coat of paint smeared on them as they leave the factory :colbert: Also good luck with any sheds that have to house pythons

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I wouldn't even say harsh. It just sounds like it's time to move on. And you can do way better than 50k as a competent developer. Not even counting the 50 hour week bit you dropped.

This article I came across today seems super relevant: https://hackernoon.com/the-worst-career-advice-i-ever-received-54aaf2a50c93

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I know a senior IT guy in Belgium who recently changed jobs. He was required to give his employer 13 weeks of notice due to the amount of time he had worked there. The labor law landscape in Europe is basically unimaginable to those of us in the US, heh, where you can both quit and be fired with zero notice or cause most of the time. Mostly for the better! But it must make hiring quite interesting.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Only in the US are we so broke brained about work/life balance that we can't imagine what we'd do with more than like 2 weeks of PTO :eng99: Travel, play video games and smoke weed, build cool poo poo in your home lab or code a side project to prepare for that next promotion or job move if you can't stop thinking about work. Volunteer for a cause you believe in. When my kids are elementary school age I'm sure I'll burn a couple weeks during the summer to avoid having to pay so much for day camps or whatever. Do home improvements projects. Take your significant other to the beach.

My (US) company is pretty generous with vacation, but you're not allowed to carry any over to the next year. You are strongly encouraged to use it all. You are allowed to go negative if you haven't accrued enough yet early in the year, with the caveat that negative time is withheld from your final paycheck if you leave. It seems like a reasonable balance between satisfying the bean counters and still giving employees enough time off.

There's a separate pool of sick time that does carry over, to some cap.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 3, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Beware overfitting.

All the hot, smart, data scientists are already known to a circle and don't need to hit up Amazon Sagemaker until they have to and if they do they're going to be super selective because they can afford to be.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

+ // worker.riseUp()
- worker.riseUp()

Changed by: government.inpower
Blame comment: Biggest client rich mcricherson requested that workers cannot rise up in this case because they are an essential service.
Approved By: constituents

A pull request appears

code:
   ||    - _ || | -----------------------
   ||       -|| |     //
   ||        || O\    __
   ||        ||  \\  (..)
   ||        ||   \\_|  |_
   ||        ||    \  \/  )
   ||        ||     :    :|
   ||        ||     :    :|
   ||        ||     :====:O
   ||        ||     (    )
   ||__@@@@__||     | `' |
   || @|..|@ ||     | || |
   ||O@`=='@O||     | || |
   ||_@\/\/@_||     |_||_|
 ----------------   '_'`_`
/________________\----------\
|                |-----------|
|                            |
|____________________________|

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I feel like you buried the lede, which is that dude's glorious Twitter banner

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lifg posted:

Good time to remind people that his twitter account is NSFW, but is also pro-click if you’re into that.

I kind of appreciate the danger of scrolling my timeline with a 5% chance of suddenly, buck naked and extremely jacked dude tied up with a ball gag. Keeps things interesting.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Faith For Two posted:

If scoring 80/100 on an annual review means Achieved Expectations and 91/100 means Achieved Expectations, then wtf does it take to exceed expectations?

Don’t forget the classic HR maneuver:

Companywide email: “Here is our performance evaluation process, with the possible ratings and criteria for each”

Immediate follow up to managers: “You are forbidden from giving anyone the highest rating, ever, no matter how justified”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

prom candy posted:

God damnit, he gets results

*wearily restoring git server from backup after some shithead force pushes directly to master*

"I'm too old for this poo poo"