Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

[Hi there! I'm looking to hire some people, and I've been told that this is a good place to tell people that. Please accept my apologies and let me know if that's not the case!]

Hello! I work at a well-funded, customer-having 50-person company that builds business tools with AI. We're hiring a lot of people over the next year, and I thought I'd spread the word here.

The division I run is looking for:

Software developers: systems/platform (logic around our AI core, data processing, etc.) , front-end (web interfaces), infrastructure (provisioning, monitoring, security, etc)

Software managers: this shouldn't be your first management position. Can also hybridize with IC/coding work in the right circumstances.

Product managers: market analysis, running scrums, designing and communicating product processes, coordination of roadmaps with client teams and sales

UX designers and researchers: we are building interfaces for our tools, and researching how UX affects things like trust, and helps non-expert people understand biases, probabilistic outcomes, and other less-common aspects of our system

Machine learning scientists (relevant masters strongly preferred, but I'd let you make a case if you got relevant experience through another path): research and productization of different AI techniques. We expect to publish ~5 papers this year from a team of 10 people. You should know the math but also how to code it up.

Other than as indicated for the MLS position, I don't care if you have a degree or not, and I don't care if you know the technology we use (python, scala, JS, React, scikit, some Rust likely). We're hiring at various levels of seniority in the different positions. For intermediate and senior people we will relo, and we handle visas for anyone. We're located in Toronto. No remote work, sorry.

I'm 25 years into my software career and have led products with literal billions of users. This is the most supportive and collaborative culture I've ever experienced, and I'm excited to bring more people into it and help them grow while they help us be more like the company we aspire to be.

Hit me with a PM if you want to know more.

e: machine learning, not language, oops

Wouldn't this be better in the newbie thread and the oldie thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

My companies policy is two weeks of vacation.

My manager's policy is ”Talk about work once, and so long as your burndown charts look decent, then your trip to Europe is now an expense. Enjoy the free airfare and Airbnb.”

I like my boss, quite a bit.

Hah i had a company say this but then had a shared doc to track vacation and i noticed ppl had lots more weeks. US is poo poo

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Because they designed it poorly in a day and "it's supposed to work" is too common a phrase, unfortunately. For a company as large as we are, we are held together by duct tape.

Id like to see examples of large companies that are not held together by duct tape. Say 5k+ employees as the bar for "large"

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Ask him to show more passion in paying his employees. Maybe you can have a series of meetings about it, where most of the stakeholders just don't show up each time.

truth, also VV pay your mortgage with passion. My bank said they don't accept that at this time.

Hughlander posted:

Alternatively ask how much passion does he pay his mortgage with

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Just to add constructive conversation:

Today a coworker and I had a very productive conversation about Agile and the fact of the matter is agile to us is just being more efficient in our space, in our development team, in our world. This isn't every team's world but maybe some of it is relative. We are agile every day with or without scrum, with or without sprints, with or without a lot things that are seem to be required to be agile. For our team, agile or not, our success and efficiency are closely tide to adequate, dare I say good, requirements gathering, specifications, definition of scope, clear stories that make dependencies explicit from the onset.

Unfortunately, I've yet to be a part of a team that does any of these well. Maybe one or two, but never all. Executives, clients, owners never seem to understand that these pieces make us more efficient. And then complain when timelines are missed or features are missing or incomplete.

I feel better now. Ignore as necessary.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

Started the day with a candid conversation with two layers of management above me that I was having trouble. I took the Lead position on the team only after confirming it was 75% 'actually do my own engineering' and 25% 'mentoring, etc'

Instead it's become like 95% mentoring and I'm burning out.

On the upside, they basically said its because I'm too drat helpful and valuable as a resource and that I had carte blanche to just work from home any time I wanted to actually get work done. So that's a plus. Combined with some reflection that they're going to step in and try to start rebalancing things and strongly encouraging team members to be independent again.

Which is necessary. Because my days often end up a bit like today. Where I watch Mid-Senior devs struggle to implement an IEnumerable<int> that counts up. Just as a 'let's learn how IEnumerable' works exercise.

Mid-Senior.

:smithicide:

That's crazy for a mid-senior level dev. On the one hand stuff like this is perplexing, but on the other I feel like its given me a bit of leg up because there are so many devs kinda like that.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

shrike82 posted:

A very broad question to the developers/engineers out there - how would you characterize the good (technical) managers you've worked with? And in contrast, the poor ones?

I used to think in terms of smarts - technical know-how. As I've grown older and as I've moved up to managing people, I've become a firm believer in the touchy-feely stuff which can be hard to quantify e.g., leading by example, creating a positive environment, setting up projects for success etc.

I've been musing about this a lot recently because of my current CTO who I'd summarize as an excellent engineer who's lost at managing teams.

The best technical manager I've had was mostly decent at all the things Gildiss mentioned, but what I really liked was the importance he placed on gathering data. It allowed for quantifying success that I found really useful. And this was beyond silly quantities like lines of code, etc. Numerical quantification related to the intended purpose of software and how successful it was at fulfilling it's intended/documented purpose. I found it to be a really valuable lesson; probably one of the best manager type lessons outside of what Gildiss outlined.

The worst thing about the guy was he couldn't or wouldn't fire lovely devs which is a problem I've seen in every place I've been.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

CPColin posted:

One of my (non-dev) coworkers regularly sends me PDF's that contain scanned printouts of screenshots.

I was trying to find a reasoning for this but then the depth of steps started to dawn on me . I mean wtf?!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

... “I had to spend a day or two setting up my development environment for work on this large project” has always been the case in my experience. ...

This might generally be the case, but imo it's bad maintenance. A well maintained solution should allow new developer to pull down a repo and start debugging with minimal setup (maybe a db and some local services).

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Keetron posted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/23/hertz_accenture_lawsuit/

having worked for another “Monster Consultancy” and dealing with them a lot during my time at a variety of companies, this is basically Accenture’s (and Cap, Atos, etc) business model. But Accenture is notorious for having super slick sales and a huge legal team making sure clients can do nothing but pay up.

Clanpot Shake posted:

....Combined with their incredibly management-heavy structure, they had a whole lot of people planning and putting presentations together for the client and very few people actually capable of delivering on the promises they were making. Nothing I ever worked on was on schedule and they'd just throw bodies at the problem. .

Based on my experience this is capitalism as it's finest :smugdon:

But seriously, it's pretty easy for an outsourced redesign (or a new design!) to get entirely hosed up. The clients generally don't have enough technical experience to clearly outline their goals and requirements (hence the outsourcing), and if the outsourced team doesn't give poo poo about follow-up business then it's destined to be hosed.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

shrike82 posted:

There's probably some domain of academia that has researched this thoroughly but my experience is that once an organization grows beyond a certain size, the management, engineering teams, and clients are more often than not groups with interests that are fundamentally in conflict with each other.

The stuff with the 737 Max has been an interesting recent example of this.

That's not an entirely crazy statement. I certainly think I've observed something similar.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

You are a bad person.

It's not that hard to keep a clean inbox, but I'm the only person I've seen that has been doing it for years. Without redirecting nearly everything into the trash.

fakeedit: so I can't really blame him.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

CPColin posted:

Oh man, the meeting on accessibility I just had. The presenter got 90% of the way through an introduction when the last attendee walked in, claimed they wouldn't repeat the whole introduction and would just "rewind thirty seconds," then proceeded to give 50% of the whole introduction again. Eighteen minutes into the meeting, the presenter acknowledged the need to move on to the discussion, because "we booked a half-hour" for the meeting, then cotninued yammering on. At one point, somebody asked, "What are the next steps?" and the presenter replied, "Great question. Near the bottom of the agenda is a section called 'Next Steps'…" Thirty-five minutes into the half-hour meeting, I caught the phrase, "In the time that we have left…." Finally, a full forty minutes after the meeting started, the presenter said, "Time check?" and looked at the clock, noticed the time, said, "Looks like we're over." and just pressed right on with the meeting.

Oh, and there's a survey that'll take "2-5 minutes" and somebody asked when it's due.

Edit: Forgot about the part where the presenter said, "Fortunately, we don't have many people with accessibility requirements on our campus."

Did your agile increase?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

cynic posted:

My experience of scrum/kanban/jira is that it only works if you have a terrifying Ukrainian woman in charge of everything who spends every loving hour making sure that there is not a single loving blocker anywhere and the second you add a task that is not up to scratch she calls you and asks in a heavy accent whether you want to ruin your day or you want to fix that loving task right now. Anything less than an Ivana, people get lazy.

Hey imagine that jira is just a tool that needs to be used in a disciplined manner or well managed!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I need context

edit: so this is an application that converts gifs to pngs. fuzzer bug is when you input lots of garbage characters?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

If you are "seen as a[the] leader" then you need to get paid for it. That is some bs statement some a bad employer would whip out to get effort/experience they don't want to pay for.

downout fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 13, 2019

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

Needless to say a lot of people are unhappy with our manager and executive responsible for the department and there is now a meeting booked with the owner of the company to figure out why his decision to tell our developer to pass around that DoD article and a survey to get some reflection on our process should be overturned by the manager and the executive. This dev in particular has had the ear of our owner for some time and the owner related to him how he has suspected his management hasn't been being truthful with him and how frustrated with one of our long term projects being a money pit (a heavily mismanaged project).

Knives out on Monday.

Maybe good? It's my understanding that DoD article (assuming I'm thinking of the right one) is pretty valid. Although, I'd be suspect about an owner telling a dev to pass around an article behind the managers back because apparently the owner can't call out these deficiencies to the manager directly?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

It wasn't meant to be behind the managers back. The dev had no idea of a process for this sort of thing where we are just using the article to reflect on our agile process having to go through our management. the owner just told him you should send it around to the rest of the department and he did. And as a dev with almost 10 years at this company I didn't either, they just basically came around after it was out saying no you should have sent this to us first THATS THE PROCESS while also saying we have no problem with this survey or article.

That's unfortunate, hopefully everyone is ok with some toes being stepped on. Especially if it was in good purpose. I'd be super happy with a dev calling out improvements than can be made, and it'd be bad for one to take a bad rap for just trying to make things better.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

M31 posted:

It's 2019, why should I have to bother with e-mail rules for absolute basic functionality? Also, Outlook filters are terrible anyway.

Our BitBucket doesn't even allow you to turn it off, so it's all notifications all the time. I literally have a rule that filters all my mail to trash if I'm not in the To field and it's the best.

Email rules take 2 min, am I missing something? I mean don't get me wrong, email threading would be great but plenty of applications with notifications don't have it available. It's an extremely quick solution that is better than nothing.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

So ya'll don't get your 20% by overestimating every project by 20% and collecting the remaining time left over?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Opinion for a newbie developer - I need to add a new feature that is adjacent to functions in my application.

Is your preference to:
A) loop the adjacent feature into your current functions and invent clever ways to use the code that exists, though it may not fit perfectly?
B) add the new feature to the side, growing the code base but allowing independent support for both?
C) refactor the code a bunch to find a balance right between the two?

Which answer sounds like the least likely to be a nightmare when you have to modify that code in three years?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Turambar posted:

We're all working from home nowaday.
Today, each one of us got a bottle of beer or wine in the mail (for me a 0,75 tripel beer)
A letter was attached containing Zoom meeting details.
We had a virtual vrijmibo. (Dutch informal drinking gathering at the end of the week)
Hah, I'm going to a new company. I should send everyone beer

downout
Jul 6, 2009

That was a good read, thanks!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Who is sending requests in chat tools? Make a ticket like everyone else scrub, otherwise I may not respond.

This is sort of tongue-in-cheek, but also could be true depending on my availability. If someone asks me to do something that is a bigger ask than a few minutes while waiting for things to build/load/etc, then I usually ask they email me or use a ticket task because otherwise I may not remember. Also, I want a record of bigger requests which is better than a chat history that exists for who knows how long.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Wallet posted:

I want a Slack plugin or something that just sets my status to "In a meeting" if my IDE is open. Someone must have already created this.

That's a good idea.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

There are still limitations with them, where messages in threads are second class citizens. For example, you can't (afaict) tell slack to remind you about a message in a thread, which is central to a difficulty I have with slack vs email; tying the protocol to the interface reduces flexibility in individual work patterns.

I highly value the ability to structure my email use around inbox zeroing: if something is in my inbox it means it requires action. Getting something out of my inbox requires explicit action on my part. This has helped me basically never forget to do anything for a long time.

With slack, if something comes to my attention that needs action on my part, I need to take action on that immediately to avoid it falling out of my brain, whether that is marking the message unread, asking slack to remind me, or emailing myself about it. It's not the worst thing in the world to deal with, but threads make it worse.

I do the same thing regarding zeroing my work email inboxes. All of the people I've worked with that are always forgetting requests, missing deadlines, and generally just being inconsistent and unreliable have email inboxes with the every email since they started. I don't even know how they use the email. They'll look up an email I sent a week ago, and it will take 30 minutes. It takes me 30 secs because it's in a folder, I barely have to search.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

vonnegutt posted:

I work remote, so I don't get exposed to my coworker's failures all that often, but we had an in-person week last year where we rented a coworking space to hash things out in person. Two people on my team had EVERY notification turned on so all day long we were treated to the sound of whatever random thing got sent to them. New email? Beep. Build passed? Ding! Barely five minutes could pass in silence. Even worse, both of them checked every single time. How do you maintain a train of thought? All their inboxes looked like absolute poo poo, too.

I have all my poo poo locked down tight. Nothing is allowed on my phone (I can access work email if I go looking for it, but it doesn't notify me of anything), and all my work stuff on my laptop is set up with automated actions for nearly everything. If anything ends up in my actual email inbox, it's probably something I have to actually deal with. I check email once a day.

Once, my manager complained that I didn't respond to an email meeting invite for a same-day meeting because I was subsequently late to the meeting. He wanted to me to check my email again at lunchtime to make sure I didn't miss any same-day meeting invites in the future. I (politely) told him to shove it, because we have Slack for that kind of thing, and if he wanted me to continue producing features at the same level, I wouldn't be able to if I were chained to my email.

I don't miss emails, but then my company seems really good at not pointlessly sending them (maybe to the engineers). Which actually I learned to keep my email clean because I used to get burned in the military for missing meetings that I got email notifications for. But whatever, checking emails was easier than the real job, so sure I'll burn time doing that five times a day. Either way, keep the inbox empty makes my life immensely simpler. Kinda like my car; don't leave it full of trash then I don't have to clean it often.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I can see the value of a hackathon on company hours. But some of these stories are clearly just corporate bullshit to get freebies to take advantage of employees.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

YanniRotten posted:

Yeah... when someone says “can I look at code” I will point them to a web view of the thing they’re talking about since I don’t have any cover to say “no not possible” but man do I have my feelings about the wisdom of a product manager asking to do this.

My team has been doing a real slow bungle job on a quagmire of a project so I’m not totally unsympathetic to product losing some trust but let’s stay in our lanes a bit. If it’s really this bad product should be asking for our heads to roll or trying to switch to a different team, demanding to understand bugs and fixes at the level of looking at code is unproductive and a weird flex.

I had a person (executive level of course) state they wanted to "see the data". They meant the stuff in the DB. This is and always will be a giant red flag.

Ya sure, here's some creds. Go hog wild.

downout fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 15, 2020

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ya'll need kids. I welcome coworkers interruptions over the kids every 15 minutes "can you come HERE? I need xxxxxx!"

But seriously there is no perfect way to do it. I start some conversations with "Morning/Afternoon <persons name>, *some useful, concise words*." I think it makes it a little more personable in times of 100% remote work.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ah the best is when you say "OK, let's open up the browser dev tools", and they just look slack jawed for a bit. And you remember how awesome it is to have to hand-hold a senior dev with basic debugging!

But hey it's cool, I mean this is going to come up in the annual salary/compensation conversation.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

CPColin posted:

One time, I was in an interview and needed to open the dev tools, but they'd handed me a MacBook ("Our whole department switched to Macs!") that didn't have an F12 key, so I had to ask what the shortcut was. They either didn't know or weren't allowed to give me ANY help, so I had to use the menu like a caveman.

*hangs head shamelessly while frantically trying to find the file menu button* :lol:

I feel your pain, I never use mac stuff. Every time I'm trying to do something on someone else's mac I just flail around uselessly hitting hot keys for windows.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

I am not a big fan of pair programming in general, but I have had some very positive experiences pair debugging specifically because it's a chance to learn from each other. Debugging is something that's not really ever explicitly taught, and there's huge differences in the basic approaches people take.

Yes, my college didn't have an explicit class on debugging. Which at the time I noted to my primary professor that I thought it'd be really helpful to have a class devoted to it. He at the time said that he didn't think it was necessary to have a whole class on just debugging. I think we ended up getting into a conversation about the usefulness of a class devoted to tooling/dev tools, etc.

I'm not sure if other college's CS programs have classes devoted to debugging/tooling, but I still think there's a space for it. Even if from an academic POV. It'd be a great opportunity to introduce and explore options on repos, debugging, maybe some devOps-ish stuff, documentation concepts, basically all the support infrastructure underlying writing code.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

The issue is that what you're describing is all important for Development/Software Engineering, whereas most university programs are Computer Science. The program is not designed to teach you how to deliver software as a career.

Granted, the other side of that coin is that whenever you tell a counselor that you want to be a developer, they'll say "well then, take our computer science program!" System's kinda busted.

Good point, although I think I agree with vonnegutt. Additionally, I think a class could look at many of those types of things from an academic perspective, still be useful to both engineering and science. Perhaps the difference between various repository architectures, introduction to various development methodologies, various version of documentation, light cost and disaster recovery analysis for devops architecture. Maybe tie it all together under the guise of the analysis and evaluation. I get that all of this is very separate topics, but they do this poo poo all the time with intro classes. "Here's a bunch of broad topics and tools covering light EE and CS", call it 'Intro to EE', and require all EE and CS students to take it.

downout fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 4, 2020

downout
Jul 6, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

I mean, yeah, it would be nice to have a course that covers all sorts of tooling that you're likely to use on the job, but there are a couple issues with that.

First and foremost, what do you teach? If you teach whatever tools are popular now, you run the risk that they're going to fall out of favor by the time people graduate. It's better to teach principles that are useful for picking up new tools, but in some cases it's not 100% clear that there are any.

Second, what do you cut in favor of a tooling class? There are limits on how much you can require for a major, and on how many classes you can teach given your faculty. There's already demand in most programs for more classes than there are people to teach them, and adding something else won't make that better.

I do think that we should be teaching some of those tools where they fit into the curriculum. A programming class should introduce debugging, any class with a large programming project should use version control, and a software engineering class can at least survey some of the problems out there and tools that cover them.

Why?

My program had a full foreign language requirement (2 semesters) as a hold-over from the time CS was under the arts dept. So at least for them, they could drop half of that. Maybe it was the way my program was; perhaps other universities (and newer programs) have better implemented introductions to the topics in classes that make sense.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Xarn posted:

Meanwhile my experience working for small (6 tech people, 2 other) company is that last week I told my CTO that I will be leaving, and next year I will be getting bonuses for the project I am currently working on anyway :shrug:

So you're leaving the company, and they are going to keep paying you for a project you were on? This makes no sense without more context. Even then it sounds like a very unusual edge case that isn't even useful as an anecdote to the current conversation.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I hadn't heard of that before. Thanks for the clarification.

I wish I could add to the small v medium v big conversation but the results are still out for me. Ask me in ten years.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

INFRA/DEVOPS FRIENDS: I am at my wits' loving end with our new infra manager who has decided "protect my team's time" means "please open a ticket to ask whether or not someone knows about a set of credentials"

someone tell me this is actually best practice and I'm just too used to happy go lucky startup life because I just had to put myself on timeout before I did something dire like add a sad react to the message

Isn't this what slack/teams is for?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

How do I deal with someone who makes a good and cogent point, but then routinely repeats the exact same thing in a slightly different manner several times? Everyone's on board! We don't need to spend extra time on it.

Very shortened version:
Them: We should do X to achieve Y!
Us: :yeah:
Them: Achieving Y is important, we should do X to solve it!
Us: Uh, yep. Agreed.
Them: X is what we should so. Thusly, Y shall be achieved.
Us: ...

To be fair, it's not uncommon for someone else to then pipe up just as the conversation is finally about to move forward and ask a question that demonstrates they either weren't listening at all or misunderstood at a basic level.

Once you get to the first :yeah:, steer the discussion to the actionable next step(s). "We'll go make tickets" or "you go make tickets" or "I'll add that to the plan" or something to clearly move to confirmation and next steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I'll edit that poo poo during happy hour and charge a pile for it.