Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JawnV6 posted:

I always thought the benefit of an intense micromanaging boss was having that person in your corner fighting for your raise, like yeah every staff meeting is gonna suck but... you get a raise

is that not the deal???

lol ive never met an intense micromanaging boss that advocated for you. they are covering their own rear end and taking credit for everything you do (hence the micromanaging)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

prom candy posted:

What service should I use for consolidating all my logs from my various applications/k8s/etc.? I'm using LogDNA right now but I don't like it all that much. Bonus points for being dead easy to use and not making me think very hard.

My coworkers are singing GralyLog's praises atm

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

champagne posting posted:

At least you were attempted bribed with a car. Last time I had this conversation the things on the table were pizza on fridays or a table football table.

You guys got bribes? My manager was powerless to offer me anything without the approval of people way over his head so he just said that I couldn't be sure that the new place would be a better work environment.

It was.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also they have multiple UIs, both main Twitter and TweetDeck, etc.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

This is the one that always gets me. They'll make the tiniest of tweaks every few months and it almost always first releases as a broken pile of poo poo that nobody asked for. It sometimes feels like a case of a company creating a feature-complete product and then not knowing what to do with itself beyond that.

Circles are apparently pretty cool. They're also broken, so no one uses them. But in theory they're cool.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nice username/post combo but the whole point of AI is to create a liability shield

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If they are handing you extra responsibilities without a promotion and especially without paying you more it is your duty to hand those responsibilities back. Ignore the emails, don't attend the meetings, and most certainly don't manage anything. Not My Job

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

worms butthole guy posted:

Dies this advice ever leave to anything other than them terminating you the first chance they get for poor work ethic

Yes. It leads to a new title. Granted, they didn't have anybody else, so they had to work with me.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Che Delilas posted:

500 Internal Server Error Due To Bad Request

An API unironically returning this because I had a ^ character in my password :rolleyes: That was a fun one to debug

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Volmarias posted:

We all test in production one way or another, friend.

Especially with networking code. Try unit testing the bugs out of that!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Which one of you idiots did this https://www.pcgamer.com/software-engineer-busted-after-being-inspired-by-office-space-scam/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I feel like I've fallen into the trap of being a "leopards eat your face party" supporter.

Two women on my team had issues with a male coworker not paying enough attention to misogyny in the workplace. I backed them up 100% and the coworker was eventually removed from the team - I continued to distribute my opportunities to others so everybody had chances to succeed and be recognized.

Recently they've been turning on me. If I ask a coworker in my time zone a question, I'm being exclusive for not waiting for a time where everybody was available. Brainstorming is a total poo poo show because if I even slightly interrupt (waiting for a thought to finish but not giving air before jumping in) I'm being dismissive and controlling. I've talked directly with both women and while they agree I'm mindful and progressive, I'm still the target of their ire when they don't like what happens in the company. Every little mistake is viewed through the lense of negative intent and blown up to the team-wide level with managers involved.

I've tried taking a backseat route to avoid offense, and was called out for "leaving the glue work to the women, something that often happens to belittle their contributions as engineers".

I love working with women and pushing gender, race, and age equality in the workplace. I can't stand having everything I do monitored without a sense of trust or positive intent day in and day out.

That's a thorny one. You could take your perspective to HR; they're most likely to take the idea seriously. You could step down as manager and let someone else jump on the grenade. Or you could start polishing your resume and applying for jobs because you are a calendar.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also want to be clear that I'm not a manager, nor do I outrank anybody - we're at the same title.

Then I suppose you have a better argument for feeling targeted if you bring it to HR, since it's really not in your job description to manage other people's egos. The important thing is to get your point of view out ahead of time before you get scapegoated, because nobody's going to listen to you when you are on the chopping block, just like you didn't listen to that guy who didn't pay enough attention to misogyny. You need to start putting complaints in writing that you are being harassed before your culture fit is in question.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Aramoro posted:

As an engineering manager this is one you must take to your manager,and or hr , as soon as you. If it is like you present they’re creating a classic hostile working environment just with a new spin on it. You need to insulate yourself from it before you get shuffled off with potentially career ending rumours, at least at that company. It’s one of those really difficult situations,but a situation that your manager is paid to deal with.

:hai:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Good first step, hopefully you get the transfer and that's the end of it (for you).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Harriet Carker posted:

Yes as long as you take everything with a grain of salt. Think of its advice more as “stuff you can think about as you’re building or refactoring” - you will still need to use your judgement to know when to break the “rules” it lays out.

It gets crazy specifically about function length and says something like all functions should be one or two lines.

This is also what I learned in school. Our professor told us that a function should do exactly one thing and one thing only, and if it does more than that, break it into multiple functions.

Obviously, I don't do that. But I do use a lot more functions than I might have otherwise, and that's a good thing.

This video is so excellently written. Love it every time

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 11, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mega Comrade posted:

Yes for sure. I got brought on partially because I had introduced these sorts of processes at my last place that had none. They had none here too.
Most of the team have welcomed them eagerly, they are tired of fixing very silly easy to catch mistakes in production or being blocked from working because someone has broken dev branch carelessly. But then a few don't view it that way.
I've always believed these things can help devs but its a balancing act and should never become a hindrance.

For context though (and because I really need to vent) I have put code reviews and mandatory PRs in dev. I didn't do this for dev -> master because of reasons like Prom Candy mentioned.

But there is this one dev we have. Every release he would push stuff into dev and into testing moments before the cut off for release. It failing testing and having to pick it out was almost a weekly ritual. Its like he just would context switch between stuff all sprint and then commit it all right on the day of release. With the new processes that has stopped.

However last week he had two hotfixes, these can skip the PR process at present. Somehow he pushed in changes that not only contained his stuff but also undid a load of other peoples tickets. He has no idea how this happened. he claims to not have noticed that his 1 line hotfix contained diffs in 71 files.

I only noticed this when he had forgotten to backmerge his hotfixes into dev, so I created a PR for it and noticed things didn't look right, marked as draft with "do not merge" on it and asked him to take a look cos his changes made no sense and something was wrong.
I had lunch and walked the dog, by the time I returned he had approved and merged the PR into dev, even though the raiser (me in this case) should always be the one who merges.
So now I have a master and dev branch missing multiple peoples work.

When I ask him why he did that, he claims he didn't. When I show him the PR with his name stamped on it he blames the tool for being confusing. Seems he came in, smashed merge on 3 PRs that were waiting for him and then did that one too. Not actually reading any of them.

Unpicking this has been a nightmare because hes been using various 'base' branches to hold his work and then merging between them, which are named after JIRA tickets he hasn't even started yet. So a merge of branch 'Jira-1002' might actually be ticket 1020, and 1002 is still marked as backlog, despite it being in production :shepicide:

Sever.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I learned the most about git when I nuked a remote branch and had to figure out how to fix it with an interactive rebase (my memory is a little vague of what I actually did). Everyone should learn to use git by destruction.

This is true. I wouldn't know nearly as much about git if I hadn't hosed things up and desperately scrambled to fix them. Just don't make your fuckups somebody else's problem.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You use it to horrifically gently caress up your repo with a force push edit commit messages/summaries, drop unwanted commits, and squash multiple commits into one, mostly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I wonder how closely people using GPT-3 for their job tracks to people who've ever had a Facebook account

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ChatGPT does automate the gently caress out of the coworker stories people post in this thread, it's true

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I for one say you should do it OP. I mean, what could go wrong?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Aramoro posted:

They need to fix the factual inaccuracies. I was seeing if it could generate cryptic crossword clues and it does but they're based massive factual inaccuracies. If you call it out it says oh yes my bad and spouts another load of poo poo.

That's not possible because the fundamental underlying mechanism by which it operates is just finding the most likely next token in the prompt. Plus its training corpus is chock full of factual inaccuracies. But fundamentally either it spits out a 1:1 copy of text it was trained on or it makes some poo poo up. Making some poo poo up is how the entire thing works.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Itaipava posted:

Not directing this at anyone in particular but to me it's interesting that people are hyped about turning some of their tasks from "develop" to "code review". Personally I like programming way more, and approach code reviews like I approach taking medicine and going to the gym: a necessary evil.

Maybe the fact that it's a soulless computer receiving the "reviews" makes the process less mentally taxing.

Yeah I don't understand why people seem to think that debugging was the most interesting part of their jobs

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I understand now. ChatGPT is for people who don't naturally type at 140wpm.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

and why do they call it a "stand-up" meeting when everyone is sitting down?

because they are doing it wrong and paying lipservice

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you don't understand the question the answer is probably "not Mossad."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

brand engager posted:

What're the current places everyone uses for job listings, I've got to start looking

Got all my offers off Indeed listings

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If I don't have a webcam I don't have to pretend to pay full attention to the hour long meeting and can do stuff on my home computer when it's boring

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

epswing posted:

You’re literally being paid to be there, maybe pay attention even if it’s boring?

Or say “hey guys I’m going to duck out to get something finished in time, unless you need me for anything else?”

Nah, I'm here to work less and live more and get paid as much as possible in the process

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If I am paid for my time then why am I not paid more when I spend more time on work?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

epswing posted:

When you ask "why am I not paid more when I spend more time on work" do you mean outside of business hours, or during business hours?

Outside of business hours. I am salaried. If I devote more time to the company, I am paid the same amount; therefore, I am not paid for my time.

epswing posted:

Maybe writing documentation or attending meetings feels like a waste of your valuable time because you're some solid gold marvel of a programmer, but what do you care? Let the faceless corporation pay you software development prices to sit in meetings.

Attending meetings isn't a waste of my time, I'm happy to get paid to attend virtual meetings. What I object to is having to have a camera on so that I have to stare at the laptop screen during that meeting instead of dicking around.

epswing posted:

Edit: I suppose if I were at the beginning of my career, as a fresh-faced junior I'd be actively looking to level-up my skills and my role in the company, and I would probably look at long and perhaps useless meetings being a barrier to those goals. If that's you, fair enough.

No, it's not me. I'm doing as little work as possible for as much money as possible in order to spend time with my family and hobbies. I don't really give a gently caress about the company except insofar as doing enough that they don't catch on that I am doing this, so they continue paying me lots of money to spend on stuff I like doing. Hope this clears things up. :)

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 27, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Erg posted:

you sound like a terrible coworker unless you’re on a team of one

have you considered getting a job you don’t despise

I've considered it but fully automated luxury communism ain't here yet so I'm paying the bills until then

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Some distant relative of my wife's that I met a few times at family functional mentioned that while her team was remote during covid she required them to be in a meeting all day with both mics and cameras on at all times. Just a meeting of bodily functions and keyboards clacking because she's a lunatic control freak. Oh and she enforced office dress code, including below the camera, via visual inspection.

I extricated myself from the conversation before I got myself banned from future family events.

Wish this was the first time I'd heard of the all day remote work video call

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ThePopeOfFun posted:

i had a long rant but gently caress react

I love that all programming is slowly becoming web development

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ah, you want to build software? Well we call them apps now first of all, but secondly, would you like to use Node.js, or React.js?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Man, someone should get all you guys into one organization and assign you different titles based on which part of the workflow you are handling

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xarn posted:

This is true. The unsaid part is that C is not a good language to use in 2023 :v:

Those are some serious fighting words in appdev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

chglcu posted:

C is the only language I actually enjoy using these days. It’s nice and performant without being an over-complicated mess like C++.

I write games though. Don’t think I’d want to do app development in it.

Games were what I hand in mind, I just said appdev to cover my bases