Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

eclipse is actually useable now!

I don't know how true that is even if you had a 50 inch monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

But hey, at least I have put everybody on MS Project. We tried a bunch of other programs (both web based and desktop based) and Project with Project server is the only one that works for everybody.

Before that they had no project management at all! :unsmith:

It's a shame that Project is the epitome of awful, waterfall project planning. I'd rather have no project management than use Project.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

comedyblissoption posted:

How are Agile sprints and commitments in a software development context sane in any way?

How does it make sense to commit to accomplishing work in a fixed time-frame that can easily overrun estimates?

Is there some psychological trickery involved in defining sprints and short-term deadlines that can result in greater productivity for some teams?

Sprints only make some sense to me in an organization that uses a source control system that makes it difficult to branch and merge new features (e.g. SVN). Sprints in this context would have the benefit of defining an endpoint of getting the code back into a stable state from a shitfest free for all of untested and interim commits.

Why not use a kanban approach where you just set priorities of estimated items and it's okay if they overrun their estimate because that is part and parcel of software development?

Kanban isn't a project management methodology. It's an apples-to-tractors comparison.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cuntpunch posted:

Here's a general question that's somewhat an inversion of my previous statement:

How *do* you make Agile work when there are drastic skill discrepancies amongst the development team? It seems like that's the other thing somewhat inherent to development is that you will have strong talent on one end of the team's spectrum, and dead weight on the other - whether it's for "coast until retirement" career folks or just "if it isn't something I learned in school then it will take me 9 hours to do basic things" or any of the other usual bad-dev tropes.

My experiences repeatedly is that you either end up in a situation where the better devs turn into tacit janitors - let the bad devs write horrendous code, come in as mentors/reviewers/whatever and clean it up. Or you end up with the better devs just getting the work done super quick and the bad devs sit on their hands 40 hours a week feeling left out.

I mean obviously "only hire talented people" is a great answer, but that's not realistic at all, so what's the real-world solution?

Do code reviews. This gives traceable, explicit evidence that they are loving up and ruining the team's velocity.

This can go down three roads:

They will realize they are loving up and get better.
(If management gets it) They will be fired and competent people will take their place.
(If management doesn't get it) Management will make you stop doing Agile because "there was never a problem with Dinosaur Joe's work before!"

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Axiem posted:

In the groups I've been in, we've always read that as "given an option between just turning around and talking to each other vs. establishing a formal process for something, pick just talking to each other". For example, if someone needed to do something that meant no one else should push for thirty minutes, instead of building up some process of notifying people through a tool and things like that, just loving turn around and say "Hey, no one push for thirty minutes, okay?" and everyone says "Cool" and turns back around and gets back to work.

If you read that as "more meetings" or "more tools", then you're doing agile wrong.

That only gets you so far when your team is colocated across the world and you have devs on the East Coast, West Coast, Europe, and India.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cuntpunch posted:

I've met way too many people with Masters of Comp Sci. on their resume who will shout all day about 'Separation of Concerns!', 'Dependency Injection!', and the like, but then ask them to *implement* anything and it turns into a muddled mess because they spent more time memorizing abstract flowcharts describing good patterns, rather than learning the HOW to implement them and WHY to use them in practical terms. "You must unit test!" they cry - then write a unit test where they mock the method-under-test to return string.Empty, then assert that it returns string.Empty - at which point they pat themselves on the back about 'Good code coverage.'

None of those things are part of academia. Sometimes bad developers get masters degrees to try to mask that they're bad.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Finster Dexter posted:

They asked me what the Big O was of the LINQ OrderBy method. I guessed polynomial time. I was wrong. It was logarithmic. But they didn't seem to care and I don't care either.

That's a stupid question. "Take a wild guess at what sorting algorithm is used by a framework method that you're unlikely to have ever looked at the source to".

If they told you what sorting algorithm it used, that's a different story, although it's still a stupid question that comes down to memorization.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

piratepilates posted:

My current workplace uses a time tracking thing, but I only work on one project so I just put 8 hours in to the project each day, very easy.

My last workplace though had a time tracking thing (two actually, for some dumb reason) and had you working on multiple things, and wanted you to make sure to log time in the projects each day. There was also never quite enough work to do for the whole day. What everyone ended up doing was just inflating the time they worked on things or finding projects with lots of slack to just throw time in. No one seemed to care or check that the time made that much sense. Just keep making the time work even if it's not fully accurate and don't worry until someone makes you worry about it.

My company uses spreadsheets for time tracking, despite time tracking actually being important and not bullshit micromanagement given that we're consultants and we charge people money based on these timesheets.

It's a small company problem -- spreadsheets get the job done well enough despite being moderately inconvenient for us, so moving to a better system just ends up low on the priority list and never gets implemented. I think we've finally bitched enough that the bosses are investigating using a real time tracking system.

At one place I had to do a timesheet for no reason at all in 15 minute increments. "Filling out timesheet" was a substantial amount of the entries on the timesheet.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

baquerd posted:

Just want to point out that Agilefall is a really awkward system because it doesn't roll off the tongue. If you switch to Scrummerfall, things go much more smoothly.

Agile and Scrum are different things, though! You have to make sure you choose the bad process that works right for you. :v:

I like "waterscrum", personally.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

so we just plan the sum total of the tickets' hours to be (2 weeks/sprint * 40 hrs/week * 2 people per ticket) = 160hrs.

This is awful and wrong. Do either of you go to meetings? Do you use the bathroom? Do you take breaks?

Assuming that a developer works on specific assigned tasks for 8 hours out of every day is insane. Put real estimates on tasks, don't try to make everything total 160 hours.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

CPColin posted:

I hadn't heard of it before now, but I know one of the main reasons my team switched from Scrum to Kanban was because we all (mostly me) complained so much during sprint planning that certain issues were impossible to estimate. We always had stuff like "figure out how we can use technology X" and "tear down this architecture we've been using for years and build a new one." My answer was always, "I won't know until I get in there."

We finally started doing stuff like agreeing to spent X hours/days on initial investigation and filing follow-ups, as necessary. The better fix was to use Kanban, where the most important stuff is always at the top and we can abort out of it if everything starts to snowball.

"Tear down this architecture we've been using for years" is way too big to estimate, it should not be a user story.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Axiem posted:

On my previous team, we had a weekly estimating meeting on new stories in our pipeline. To do the actual estimating, we'd all read the card, then raise our hand (or otherwise indicate) when we'd made an internal estimate. We'd then go around in a circle and say our own estimates.

I think the highest ended up being what we put on the card, but that never really mattered to us. It was more about seeing "are we all on the same page regarding the scope of this story?" If one person said 8 hours and another said 40, we'd go "whoa, why so high/low?" It often led to good conversations about what actually needed to get done with a little bit of how, and meant everyone knew something about each story, so they wouldn't go too far off the beaten path if they ended up pulling it.

I liked it well enough, though I thought it was stupid to use hours and we should have done a sizing system (< day, 1-3 days, 1 week, longer, or something like that).

In terms of actually using estimates for planning or communicating with management, I thought they were worthless, and I don't think we should have been sharing those estimates outside of that room, because they just lead to unrealistic expectations.

This is called planning poker and it's a very common agile estimation tool. The only part you're doing "wrong" is picking the highest estimate. The team is supposed to reach consensus. And yeah you're not supposed to use hours, you're supposed to use relative sizing ("story points"). And that's why you don't share actual hour estimates with management. You say "this is an 8 hour task", management thinks "cool, it only takes one day." Abstracting the actual hours behind relative sizes like story points lets you say to management "we can do 60 points next week, what items that add up to 60 points do you want us to work on?" 60 points might mean 60 hours (unlikely because we don't code 8 hours a day), or it might mean 48 hours. Doesn't matter, avoids the conversation about "if you have 2 developers, I should get 80 hours of stuff per week!"

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 12, 2016

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

CPColin posted:

So a pile of people were laid off yesterday and one of them was celebrating her birthday. Good planning, management.

What's the problem? Would it be better if it were the day before or after? The one time I got fired from a job, it was a week after I bought a new car.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

CPColin posted:

This is not the first time it's happened!

Again: So what? Being fired sucks no matter what day it is. It's sort of lovely if you're firing one person and it's their birthday, but it's firing them the day before or the day after (or even +/- a week) really makes no difference in terms of how bad they'll feel about it.

If it's a mass layoff situation, what are they supposed to do? Schedule around every employee's birthday?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pigdog posted:

There are tons of companies doing Scrum wrong or half-assedly. Why pay anyone money when you can read Wikipedia yourself?

Because they trust consultants more than their employees. I work for a consulting agency and I see it all the time. About 75% of the time, I tell them to do what someone on the team is already saying they should do, but because it came from the mouth of A CONSULTANT, it's somehow more valid and correct.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I've been on three different teams now "making the transition to Agile," and every one was a poo poo show. I'm curious to know whether anybody has witnessed "a transition to Agile" being accomplished successfully.

I have, but it was because of the following factors:
- Small team
- Small company, privately owned
- One person led the charge who had authority to discipline and/or fire people
- That person acted as a shield against upper management

The team successfully made the transition and followed Scrum for about two years, then the person who drove the change got tired of upper management and quit. Agile was almost immediately dropped by upper management, the competent devs all quit within 3 months, and all of the in progress projects failed so badly that they just outsourced the whole thing to the cheapest body shop they could find.

Oh, and one of the owners spent $15,000 sweeping the entire office for bugs after we left. Not software defects, not arthropods, but covert listening devices. But that's probably because I had a friend send an email to my account 10 minutes before I left on my last day that just said "INITIATE PROJECT ARCTURUS. END COMMUNICATION."

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently the leads of our development teams at my current employer had a meeting the other day and they decided to have a vote on whether any source control other than vanilla TFS was going to be allowed to be used by the teams. The vote was "TFS FOREVER!" I hate TFS. I've used multiple source controls at previous employers, and TFS is inferior to them in so many ways.

If you don't like TFVC, just use git-tf or git-tfs to create a local Git repo that you can sync back to TFVC later.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cuntpunch posted:

TFS is a 'scary' thing to move away from when you have a pile of developers who have spent most of their careers on TFS(which tends to be combined in a .NET shop, so tight IDE integration + GUI) and try to put them on not just a jump to DVCS(which itself already requires a bit of re-education) and ALSO lose a lot of that integration. I'm hoping Visual Studio trying to tighting up Git integration will end up making this an easier sell to Management. Right now it's "We are going to have to send the entire development team to a multi-day class to learn this new tool, and we have to migrate projects with years of commit history over to a new repo, and....that's around the point where risk outweighs reward in management's eyes.

Git is hard to learn for people that don't have DVCS experience, period. No GUI is going to make it better, although some GUIs are better than others, and the Visual Studio GUI is admittedly not great. I do Git training for .NET developers occasionally and my approach is to start out with everyone on the CLI to learn the basic concepts and plumbing. At that point, they can navigate the IDE just fine, even if it's clunky.

That said, Microsoft is aware that the Git GUI in Visual Studio isn't great. Too much clicking around to do common stuff. That's one of the reasons why VS 2015.2 has a branch management interface that's part of the toolbar on the bottom right of the window when you're working out of a Git repo -- less clicking around to create or checkout branches.

Also, I hate to be pedantic (that's a lie, I love being pedantic), but the centralized VCS in TFS is called "TFVC". The distinction has to be made because TFS is a lot more than a SCM tool, and it can host Git repos as well as TFVC repos.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Munkeymon posted:

The places I've been the guideline was always roughly 1pt/hour, probably max out to 6-8 for a very productive day with no meetings

I usually use 1.5 hours per point as my starting point, and an individual story size shouldn't be more than 8 points.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I have a question... I don't practice Agile with a capital 'A' so I have never used any of the project management tools or bug trackers out there that have Agile features baked in.

Is there anything out there that allows bunches of different estimates from different developers to be entered, then magics out a best guess for a real estimate? Or is that something that leads or managers are expected to do on their own?

The team is supposed to do that together and reach consensus. If you say "it's easy, 2 points" and I say "that area of the application is a loving minefield, 20 points" that doesn't mean that the story is actually 11 points. We might compromise ("Well, if we foo the bar, it might make it less prone to breaking, then we could call it 13"), or you might say "poo poo, I didn't realize that -- I haven't ever touched that code before. We'll go with your estimate."

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 8, 2016

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

The problem with using Slack for anything important is that chat is even easier than email to declare bankruptcy on.

I work with a largely distributed team and we all recently started to use Slack. I loved it, coming from an IRC background -- I don't mind multiple threads of conversations taking place at once, it's easy to pick it up based on context and we have like 5-10 people using it over the course of a day so it's not like it's full of fast-moving conversation.

My co-workers complained about it enough that we instituted a stupid rule that every message has to be hashtagged to create "threads", making it impossible to follow a flow of conversation because you have to parse out the subject line. "#foomoduleproblem I'm having a problem with the foo module". I no longer use Slack.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dr. Stab posted:

Did they not know that you can have multiple channels?

They're aware. But we have a "general" channel that we use for short-lived discussions, and people were complaining that they couldn't follow unthreaded discussion. Making a new channel for a quick question is silly. But tagging each message with a subject line is equally silly. I made the point that the beauty of Slack is that I can just dash off a quick "hey guys what's up with the foo module?" message in 3 seconds without having to come up with a subject line.

I'm was doing this for a while to point out how absurd it is: "#havingaproblemwiththefoomodulecansomeonehelp Hey guys I'm having a problem with the foo module, can someone help?" but then I decided to stop being a prick.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

I honestly don't know what a full time DBA does.

Aggressively preventing people from ever changing the database schema or executing queries against the database.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dirty Frank posted:

Code review at my place has almost no common characteristic with meetings. There's no group discussing things, its one senior developer (which ever one got assigned to that changeset*) handing down judgment on a changeset. Whats it like everywhere else?

*Sorry for the TFS centric vocab

I worked at one place with infrequent "code review" meetings where someone presented a feature they worked on long after it would have been possible to implement any meaningful changes as a result of the code review. It was dumb.

I worked at another place where we did code review on every commit. It didn't matter who on the team did the review, as long as the review was done. This resulted in people buddying up to let awful poo poo slide, so we changed it that one person was the code reviewer each sprint.

FWIW the "code review" experience in TFVC is awful and Microsoft is well aware of it being awful. They are working on fixing it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

CPColin posted:

Like how I finally snapped after the whatever-th consecutive annual review where the assessment was, "You're a great developer, but you're going to need to improve, if you want to be promoted to Architect."

There's nothing wrong with saying "you're great at your current role, but you need to improve Specific Skills X, Y, and Z in order to be promoted to Position W." If the only feedback was "You're good, but you need to just be, you know, all around better", that's crap.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I heard it described as this. A manager can either be a poo poo funnel or a poo poo umbrella. You want one who is a poo poo umbrella, in that they shield their team from the poo poo rolling downhill.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I feel a little bad saying that I'm neutral on him staying or not - he doesn't really bother me even if he sucks at his job.

Him sucking at his job makes your life more difficult, either directly (cleaning up his broken poo poo) or indirectly (co-workers stressed out and tense from cleaning up his poo poo). You should care.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

Depends on the supervisor. If you have an old-school-work-ethic sort of supervisor ("if I'm not actually dying, I'm coming in to work because that's the right thing to do!") then you probably just have to resign yourself to suffering. If you have a reasonable, normal supervisor, then just talk to them and explain the situation. In most non-retail, non-food-service jobs I've experienced, people tend to be understanding and okay with it if you're not doing too hot, especially if you're in visible distress and aren't just calling in because you have the sniffles.

Yeah, and that's something to look out for in future jobs as well. If they don't treat you like a professional, you don't want to work there. If I called out sick due to legitimate illness and my boss gave me poo poo about it, I would immediately start looking for a job where I was given respect and treated like an adult.

(I just took my first sick days in years this week!)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

Bragpost: by the end of today, I will have completed 7 story points (which are estimated at about 1 story point per dev day) in the space of two afternoons.

I wonder if my tech lead will be okay with me taking a couple vacation days for an impromptu long weekend.

The team's estimates being bad is not a cause for celebration. Make sure you bring it up during the retrospective.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah we tend to estimate worst-case, plus we're still honing down from what we used to have, which was fairly ludicrous. It's been better since we've started on a lowest-bidder story point system rather than consensus-based

Lowest estimate is an awful idea. A better solution is to identify what causes your estimates to be so wildly out of line with reality and solve that problem. Getting 7 "days" worth of work done in a few hours means that your estimates are worse than inaccurate, they're totally useless as a metric for planning.

It could be that your stories are too big to begin with and need to be broken down further so they can more accurately be estimated. It could also be that everyone has it in their brains that "1 point = 1 day". That's bad. Points are relative to the other stories, not equatable to days or hours. "Is X bigger or smaller than Y?" That's why some teams use t-shirt sizes instead of points.

[edit]
Of course, for teams just getting started it's perfectly natural for estimates to be crazily wrong. But that shouldn't last for more than a few sprints. If you're still having that problem, you need to seriously look at why it's happening and correct the behavior that causes it.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 16, 2016

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

The problem, again, is that the team is being told to estimate in terms of time. They shouldn't be. The estimates are supposed to be in terms of relative size/difficulty. The team should be able to complete a consistent amount of points every sprint. Individual speed shouldn't factor into it. The fact that different people work at different rates is the exact reason for this. If you complete 5 points in 5 hours and someone else completes 5 points in 10 hours, you're still accomplishing 10 points of work in 15 hours.

I'm not saying that estimates are supposed to be perfect and infallible -- you will absolutely over/underestimate. I'm just saying that the degree to which your estimates are off are indicative of a severe problem with the way you're doing estimation. The team's velocity will be higher some sprints, lower others, but you should be able to determine an average velocity that's fairly consistent if you're estimating properly.

Stories also shouldn't be assigned, but should be grabbed by whoever is available in order of priority within the sprint, but that's another story entirely.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 16, 2016

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Gounads posted:

That doesn't describe any methodology I've heard of, but any system where someone commits to doing work that they themselves estimated is better than most systems in the past.

Only if you're looking at things in terms of individual contributors instead of the team as a whole. I don't care if Bob can knock out a 10 point story in a day and Jane takes 3 days. I just care how many points of poo poo Bob and Jane can commit to doing and finishing on time.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I end up having to use reflection when doing something with plugins. It looks like the right thing to do then. Is there a better general approach?

In the .NET world, there's MEF. You define an interface for your plugin and MEF discovers plugin assemblies that match up to your interface. I'd be stunned if there wasn't something similar for Java.

[edit]
It looks like Java has OSGI

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Volguus posted:

OSGI is massive and it itself is using reflection too, although is very capable. Use it if you need its features.
At the end of the day, for plugins you pretty much are forced to use reflection either via a library or custom code. Most likely .NET uses reflection too. Since java 1.6 one can use ServiceLoader for simple plugin support and maybe in Java 9 with the new module system there will be easier ways. But, dynamically loading a class at runtime, instantiating an object and calling methods from it, that most definitely is using reflection of some kind.

I'm sure it does, but having something that nicely abstracts the process is good. I'd prefer not to roll my own half-assed plugin loading library.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Yeah, there are certain things I'd write tests for after the fact, but doing it to hit an arbitrary level of code coverage is not good. Coverage can be a useful tool, but only so you can see what's not covered and judge if it's something that actually should be covered (in which case there will be a reason for writing that test, and the test can be designed with a motivation other than "hit the target amount of code coverage").

This is something I fight with people about almost every week. They can't get it out of their heads that high code coverage = high quality code.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I hesitate to post this, because I actually like working here. But my boss is just ... so weird. He's amazing at SQL tuning and linux hacking, but he hates any kind of structure or organization. This has led to all kinds of interesting situations.
instead of having a column for first_name and a column for last_name, he just has one column called "name" and you store "Jane:Doe" in it. How do you get data out you may ask?
code:
select unnest(string_to_array(butts::text,',')) from (
    select unnest(string_to_array('A,1:B,2:C,3'::text,':')) as butts
) as doody;
This example is simple compared to some of our queries, which have unnest(string_to_array()) nested 4 layers deep, plus more joins, cases, etc, than you've ever wanted to see.

- Fun side effect of replication is that it really hurts insert performance. Especially in our case, since we are replicating across large distances with really bad latencies.

Sounds like he is actually awful at SQL. And everything else related to being a developer.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

rt4 posted:

What's the deal with microservices? Sounds like a good way to end up with an incoherent, fragmented codebase

If done well, you end up with small, independently deployable, independently versionable services that communicate via a clearly defined API that is easy to isolate for unit testing.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

smackfu posted:

Do you point bugs or not? We have not but our new product owner wants to because they can't get a sense of what will actually be delivered if people work on bugs and that delays stories.

Yes. Bugs should be prioritized, given point estimates, and assigned to sprints. Ideally, the product owner will agree that bugs come first and that they shouldn't be delayed just to get more new features, especially since bugs tend to beget more bugs and make it harder to implement new features in the first place.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sagacity posted:

But if you have zero-point bugs and your velocity goes down because of that, isn't that then a valid metric as well? I mean, it shows you're spending more and more time fixing bugs than actually working on stories, which seems like a very useful indication that somewhere in the development process (not necessarily development) something is not going as planned.

You shouldn't be chastised for the drop in velocity obviously, that makes little sense.

It's trivial to look at points from bugs vs points from stories in basically every tool used to track that kind of thing. Effort spent on bugs is still effort, and it should still be tracked and understood for sprint planning purposes. Your velocity isn't actually dropping when bugs are being fixed. If the team typically completes 100 points of work in a sprint but is spending 20% of their time fixing bugs, their velocity is still 100, regardless of where the effort is being expended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I've been denied short term disability for a total of seven work days for recovery from a medically necessary surgery. Companies can be really poo poo about this sort of thing.

Companies can also be really good about that kind of thing.

My employer gave me 2 months off with pay last year without me having to do anything other than say, "Hey, my mother is dying, I'll be back when that's over". We didn't discuss it beyond that. I wasn't even expecting them to keep paying me after my vacation ran out, but they did.