Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I think this belongs in this thread: I got a bug to translate some month names on a simple table where they're the column headers, so I just iterated over the names the (.Net) framework already has in a convenient global culture settings object. Easy-peasy. Submit that for review only to get told to write a test to make sure the array is populated :eng99: Maybe we need a :tdd99: but I'm not sure how to communicate "masturbating to useless tests" in a smiley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

sarehu posted:

You don't need to guess the specific algorithm at all.

You should also be able to answer questions like, "what is the big O of this ORDER BY query (given certain indexes)" without knowing the precise internal machinations of a database engine. And then give an estimate of the round-trip latency depending on how big the dataset is / how big rows are. And the way you'd come up with the answer is, "it's using a {b-tree|hash table|none of the above}, so obviously blah blah blah." The operative word there being "obvious."

The original question wasn't about a database query at all

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ChickenWing posted:

Okay so this hypothetical contract position has morphed into a hypothetical consultant position. Any consultants want to let me know roughly what that entails?

As in working for an agency?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Vulture Culture posted:

It sounds to me like your W-2 position has turned into a 1099 instead, with increased tax liability for you. Was it W-2 or 1099 before?

Not necessarily. I'm a consultant employed full time by one company and working at a different company, as in I show up at the client and put in eight hour days that my company bills the client for. If I'm not billing hours I'm supposed to show up at the home office and work on something relevant to my professional education, which can be getting paid to tinker with personal projects if you want it to be. I'm pretty happy with the arrangement so far because I can change jobs often without the stupid bullshit involved in actually changing jobs in America or the resume stains and that's been great for networking so far. I'm sure all of this varies by agency but I don't have to travel and I get paid for overtime if the client is even willing to allow overtime - so far they haven't and I'm enjoying my actual 40 hour weeks. The downsides are that I feel like a temp in that I have a hard time caring a lot about stuff like culture, socializing and team building and generally am not treated quite as well as the FTEs as far as office furniture and equipment, but some places are penny wise pound foolish like that.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

The places I've been the guideline was always roughly 1pt/hour, probably max out to 6-8 for a very productive day with no meetings

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Che Delilas posted:

Wood? I don't want to use wood, we need something sleek and shiny (or alternatively concrete and steel beams with construction markings still on everything - gotta keep trying to convince people that Industrial Modern isn't a lovely design for new construction!).

That doesn't sound like it'll satisfy the "Green Construction" bullet point in the mission statement :colbert:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Gounads posted:

I honestly don't know what a full time DBA does.

Maintain the gordian knot of undocumented ETLs that keep the reports reporting and disparate databases in sync. They require constant 'maintenance' because they're constantly confronted with data they didn't expect because the whole thing lacks any definition outside of the ETL code.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ratbert90 posted:

The sheer amount of programmers that program in C/C++ that have absolutely no idea how memory works is mind loving boggling to me. :psyduck:

How do you mean? Like they don't think/care about cache optimization or what?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ratbert90 posted:

That IS true!

Even worse; I do embedded Linux programming. :gonk:

Oh right - you're the guy in the secfuck thread who talks about trying to make actually secure embedded linux products. Goonspeed

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Gounads posted:

I think I need to add a new task to my interviews.

Here's a github repo with 3 branches, A, B, C
Fork it, make a change to Branch B
Merge in Branch C (and I'd set up a simple merge conflict beforehand)
Create a pull request to branch A

The amount of time I spend training people to do things like this is absurd.

git hasn't been around and in widespread use for that long that you can expect everyone to just know how to use it, so if your job listing doesn't have git under must-know, then that's not a very fair question unless part of the process is letting them figure it out themselves with access to google.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I got poo poo for showing up late/not knowing when I'd be in the day after my car was totaled in an accident a couple jobs ago. I got a new job and a new car within a few weeks :)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

necrobobsledder posted:

When I was running an operations team as a contractor we were responsible for being on-call and supporting 24/7 for certain priority incidents. So it was kind of your duty to let me know if you're going to be around or not and people still had problems even telling me "oh yeah, not working today 5 year old is sick." I don't care if you're getting a sex change, just let me know so I can figure out if we need to do something that needs your specific expertise that we're not counting on it until you're back. However, if you're out literally 1/3 of the year and only claiming you're on 20 hours of PTO you're not making it hard for me to put a target on your back if we have a budget cutback.

Yeah communication is key and I just want to emphasize from my story above that I emailed the team a picture of my smashed up, obviously un-driveable car from the scene* and said I'd be in as soon as I could get a rental and get to the office. Still got a phone call pestering me about when I'd show up while a friend was driving me to an Enterprise near work and then the same guy gave me a talking to about communicating arrival times when I got in ~45 minutes later than I normally would. He wasn't even someone I technically reported to and I don't think I've ever been so angry at a colleague.

*millennial as gently caress, right?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

IAmKale posted:

Here's a follow-up question: how do I spin this whole experience when I'm interviewing? I've only been with this company for three months.

"$CURRENT_JOB just isn't a good fit for me. I want to be forward looking w.r.t. new technology stacks and modern best practices like continuous integration and unit testing, for example."

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

CPColin posted:

I work in the private sector in California. :waycool: I sometimes feel simultaneously underpaid, relative to other companies in my area, and overpaid, relative to the value of my contributions to society.

It's actually you and the average worker who are underpaid :ssh:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Antti posted:

Well there's actually one test case where you need to physically print out a document and the lines need to be just right.

Wouldn't that depend somewhat on the printer?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

leper khan posted:

If it's that important, should you not regularly test the printer?

Well yeah, but that's something you can do with a static image without doing a bunch of monkey work in some LOB monstrosity. Hell, Windows has a standard test page that's never more than ~5 clicks away.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

JawnV6 posted:

I don't understand conflating platform choice with short/long term thinking. With how many vendors have you had success asking for a ground-up rewrite outside their core competency?

I do know a guy who said he was knowingly trading short turnaround time for future tech debt when he picked LAM(PHP) for his new startup. This was ~07, I think.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FamDav posted:

whats zuckerberg up to these days

AFAIK that's who he works for nowdays :v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Noam Chomsky posted:

Business has slowed unprecedentedly at the consultancy I work for. I'm pretty sure it's the election.

Business is slow for my firm, too, and this has been my assumption, but I'm biased because I love watching the quadrennial dumpster fire burn.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

leper khan posted:

I love how associate means partner in law offices and intern in software.

It's like navy captain vs army captain.

I'm a language lawyer with a JavaScript practice, OP. I also dabble in personal inj - uh, I mean CSS.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 19, 2016

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

revmoo posted:

What do you guys think about "coding projects" in order to secure a job? I've done them once or twice in the past and ended up hating the actual job once I got hired and kind of swore off doing them again. I'm not happy at my current job so I've been interviewing. I've already done two levels of interviews with this potential company and they want me to do a coding challenge that is suspiciously complete. They want me to build an app:

- That allows user registration
- Users can post
- Users can comment on other's posts
- Users can edit content
- Users can download an export of all their content

This is all pretty straightforward stuff, but to do it right involves basically building a complete app and then handing it over. I have no problem with stuff like Fizzbuzz, but this seems like too much. I either half-rear end it and make myself look bad, or I spend 2-3 days building it right which does not seem like a good use of my time. I get paid for this kind of thing after all. Plus the requirements almost give me the suspicion that they could be using my work for commercial use after I hand it over.

I liked the company, but this seems like a bit much. I asked if doing the project was contingent on an offer and the response was basically "do it and we'll let you talk to the CEO about it." I'd be a whole lot more confident doing the work if we had solid terms worked out but they're unwilling to do that.

I'm leaning towards telling them to gently caress off. I have other prospects and they already had the chance to quiz me in the technical interview. I even sent over code samples for them to review. But maybe I should just do it? I dunno. My gut tells me I shouldn't but maybe I'm just being dumb and should get over it and throw the app together.

I keep thinking about this am I'm wondering if there's a framework they use that would make that easy to the point of being trivial enough to throw together in an hour that you, I and the rest of the thread just don't know well enough.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skandranon posted:

Then that makes it a lovely exercise. It's like answering "Implement Quicksort" with "use List.sort()".

It's not if they're trying to filter out people who don't already know whatever framework they have in mind.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ChickenWing posted:

git is actual real magic

Powerful with arcane, often nonsensical incantations and prone to going inscrutibly wrong if you don't know what you're doing? Yeah, that checks out :v:

Yes, I know it's better nowdays. I'm still bitter Mercurial didn't win because its interface was actually ment to be used by someone other than Linus

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Gounads posted:

At least a day and a half trying to get an ancient hacked up version of ejabberd running on my machine.

Requires specific C compiler versions.
Requires a version of erlang so old there's no osx packages for it.
Requires a version of openssl so old insecure there's no packages for it.
Requires a version of erlang so old there's no packages for it.

Also, had to figure out each of those 4 points on my own since the documentation on how to build this assumes everything is right by default.

After getting all that built, esoteric erlang stack traces when I run it that I have no idea how to read.

Wha? Why?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

Did you ever check with an accountant or attorney to see if there was any remedy?

edit: this happens when they don't have an accountable plan: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2595504-can-my-company-show-reimbursed-expenses-as-my-earnings

I don't see how a company could have an accountant and not have some of the most basic accounting stuff so that's a good reason to run - who knows what questionable stuff they're doing.

I'm really glad these things come up in these threads because I had never fully understood the scope of the galaxy of bullshit employers can subject people to :stare:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Vulture Culture posted:

There's no grooming any story under 16 story points.

I really hate it when people ban 'bad' words that are only offensive in a particular context but still: lmao

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pollyanna posted:

We got $1 lottery tickets as Christmas presents. :downs:

It could be your ticket out of there :v:

... I'll show myself out

e: Alternatively, it's a Maybe<EarlyRetirement>

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 14, 2016

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hughlander posted:

I wouldn't consider it new lingo. It's been part of agile sprint lingo as long as I've been aware of the system. And honestly the concept needs a term. It's not something you would do in some other methodologies.

What's wrong with calling it 'reorganization'? Hell, you could just call it refactoring and I think most people in this industry would just get it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Vulture Culture posted:

The first one is inaccurate and the second is completely the wrong concept.

Not to me on both counts :shrug:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

e: nevermind - semantic arguments over non-formal languages are super pointless

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck: Whatever, not my problem.

Oh cool it's not often I see someone attain Zen

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Vulture Culture posted:

You could also duplicate the entire company so that if one company goes down you still have the other one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTUrdizRZyw

lol if your offsite offline backup isn't embedded in the lunar regolith

Just lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

My current employer switched to FinancialForce this year and boy howdy it must be nice to write software that the purchaser never has to use. I mean, except that you end up with a SalesForce-shaped stain on your resume, but I guess some people are into that?

Our internal company guide's step 1 is "Switch to the Classic view" and well [internal screaming intensifies]

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

lifg posted:

Alternately, you can have a fixed scope or fixed date.

... or a fixed number of work hours every week. Pick two.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Gildiss posted:

Dependant on experience and domain, it could be.

Assuming he's doing Android app development means he'd know Java, so Glassdoor says $60 is the low end for the area https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/orlando-java-salary-SRCH_IL.0,7_IM645_KO8,12.htm

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Gounads posted:

There's usually 10-12 set holiday days you get off.

I don't think I've ever had more than 8?

Also never had separate sick days :\

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 27, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

smackfu posted:

Bare minimum holidays is seven. But often they add a few floating for religious or local holidays or to add an extra day around Christmas if the calendar works out that way.

I count 6: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas

Last job I had the day after Thanksgiving and some rando Christian holiday off in the spring (no, not Easter), but that's the best automatic holiday list I've had. This job is just better in every other way than that, so I don't mind the extra two days.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pollyanna posted:

I have been doing my PM's job for him writing up stories and figuring out what needs to get done for our stupid app that shouldn't be more complicated than a couple React components yet has been mismanaged to hell and back and now no one knows what the gently caress is going on.

Congratulations on your Business Analysis experience - consider putting that on your resume.

lol if you've been doing software development for more than a few months and haven't done any BA work

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Vulture Culture posted:

There are non-BA parts of software development?

The part where you create bugs. You know, 'coding'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Khisanth Magus posted:

Was wondering if I could get some advice from this thread. A month or so ago our only Sr developer was fired(which is a very long story, but the short of it was that he brought it on himself), and next week our manager is interviewing 2 candidates for the open position. The kicker is that he would like me and one other team member to also interview the people, both to ensure that they actually know their stuff and that they would be a good fit for the team. Neither of us have ever interviewed anyone before, and most of the interviews I've been on the other end of have been complete bullshit. I don't see any real value to asking someone to code some algorithm on a whiteboard. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources I could read to find good interview questions for a Sr dev position.

Vulture Culture posted:

I used to actually do a thing in my in-person interviews where I'd give a person a code sample to read and explain. I wouldn't pay any mind whatsoever to their thought process or how well they understood the code. I would watch them instead. If they looked pissed about having to do it, it was a yellow flag.

Seems like a good one for any position