Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I would just be like, "Sorry! Out of USB ports!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oof!

I just grabbed a ticket that's been going in circles for a week and finally asked the user what they were doing, what they were clicking, and what they were seeing. I fully expect to have an opportunity to roast tiers 1 and 2 for not asking this first before deciding that surely something must be bugged.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Interviewing is like gambling: just consider all the time wasted and maybe you'll get lucky and win some of it back

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do any of you have a significant other

:)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mega Comrade posted:

Has there ever been anything as huge a waste of time as the performance review?

Every meeting where somebody just reads you a document you could have read yourself is indeed a complete waste.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I left mine blank :cool:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I use a paper notepad and every time I fill up a sheet, I tear it off, put it in a drawer, and never look at it again.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I heard "operationalize" once so I nominate "deoperationalize"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Imagine siding with a VP on any level after somebody tells a story in this thread lmao

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

StumblyWumbly posted:

The best part of standups is when everyone learns to just tune their coworkers out

I always consider this to be a clear signal that the team shouldn't exist in its current configuration

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

lifg posted:

And it only kinda works.

Fixed

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Like backups, if you've never restored from backups, you don't have backups. If you've never onboarded someone using your documentation, you don't have documentation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I agree with writing tests as a strategy. It makes you focus on small pieces of the overall code in turn and (sort of) documents what they do. My predecessor wrote basically no documentation or tests and breaking things into testable chunks helped me start untangling their garbage Groovy code as I started rewriting it in a sane language.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

StumblyWumbly posted:

any meeting...is a loving slog

Fixed

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

raminasi posted:

When our overemployed guy got fired we no longer had to clean up the messes his sloppiness caused so it genuinely resulted in less work for us. (I have no idea how they caught him - I didn't snitch or even know, and I doubt anyone else did.)

You know, if "less work for us" would translate into "we get to reduce our hours to 30/week with the same pay", then maybe I'd look for more ways to reduce the team's workload. Until then, I'll keep working "8" to "5" and whatever gets done gets done.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Xarn posted:

What are your plans for "it is 4 in the morning, the one guy who knows that poo poo is asleep"?

One of my favorite Monday mornings was the one where I logged in and found an email, a Slack DM, an @ in a Slack channel, and a Zoom message asking for my help because a server went down Saturday afternoon and nobody knew how to contact me. A coworker from my old department (this was right after a reorg) fortunately stumbled on the correct solution, which was to restart Tomcat.

I finally got into the Slack channel after getting caught up on what happened and suggested everybody could have just ignored the problem until Monday. That wasn't a popular suggestion lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Sometimes I'll be in a Zoom call where I didn't expect to have to unmute and say anything and there's a noticeable pause when somebody asks me a question because I have to swing my mic arm around and clear my throat before I can reply.

I think that's mostly a factor of the "didn't expect to have to unmute" part of the equation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I do go "uh oh" when I get a Slack message though

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got a "we just went through them while onboarding (Coworker), so they should be pretty up-to-date" in regard to some setup docs. Then I tried to follow them and they were poo poo. Then I didn't fix them :twisted:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Volmarias posted:

Having a new person write down all the places they got stuck and where the docs deviated from what they got told to actually do has been a pretty good way to audit onboarding instructions.

Yeah, I thought that was what they meant when they said they'd just gone over everything, but nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I saw the "enable Atlassian AI" ticket show up in the queue and immediately wanted to see if I could get away with quietly deleting it