Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pollyanna posted:

This team seems to want to refactor and improve, but it looks like there’s just so much tech debt and so little opportunity to focus on it that they haven’t had a chance. I hope I can help alleviate it.

I love refactoring. I think it's the feeling that what you've done has made an improvement while writing new code theres always the doubt you havent done it 'optimally'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

CPColin posted:

Oh, I know; I just need to put a crack in the shell. Or convince her to hire an actual Product Owner. Or like four more devs. Or I need to go crawl in a hole and drink heavily.

I find myself constantly annoyed by POs but then think about all the stuff I'd have to do if we didn't have any.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Esposito posted:

There's a chapter in The Clean Coder about 'Saying No'. Not that I loved the book, but I like the message of the chapter, which boils down to: saying no (and the ability to say no) when the objectives set by management are unrealistic is good, professional behaviour. Knowing it's not always realistic to have the option to say no, it's a nice chapter because it can help provide the courage to put your foot down and refuse to do something when you know it's unreasonable.

Pretty much all management hates being told no but good management will still want to hear it. As my position has become kind of essential in the company I've become more outspoken and I push back harder against ideas I feel are bad or unrealistic, more so than most other developers in my department. This has lead to senior management inviting me to MORE drat meetings rather than less weirdly enough.

This is a relatively new thing though, for years our management had ignored the in-house developers and instead relied on an outsourcing company who agreed to absolutely anything asked. It lead to some terribly broken products and losing some pretty large customers for them to come around.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 6, 2018

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I can never get my head around how pair programming is ever in any way efficient. I can see it as a useful learning/teaching tool but I hear of places that do it as a norm.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

actually it looks like it's 38 days in austria now lol

just for an idea of how insanely hosed the US is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_annual_leave_by_country

Wait...you have none?! Is it not at least one of those, in practise all the states have their own and it works out ok?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Keetron posted:

Doesn't the UK has free healthcare for all?

Yes.

For the software engineer it's probably not as good as working in the states as our wages, while still far above average for here, are still no where close to the states. But for the average citizen, 28 days paid holiday and free healthcare are hard to beat.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

feedmegin posted:

45k is like poverty level in London to be fair. That's extremely not a senior level rate for developers.

I think it's important to sit back and reflect that we as a group feel a salary, almost double the national average, is 'poverty'

Surprise T Rex posted:

Yeah, I've considered working in financial tech in London, I've seen jobs from 60k - 100k.

Not worth it when you consider that a 2 bedroom house within an hour's train of London is at minimum half a million, and I can get a nice 3 bedroom house in the Midlands for more like 150-180k.

Berkshire way while still way more expensive than the north is more affordable, between £250k-350K and the Elizabeth line opens soon which goes all the way to Reading from the centre of London.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/elizabeth-line-december-2019.pdf
(While the full line is December 2019, a version of it opens this December)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

feedmegin posted:

'In London', mind you. It's pretty drat comfortable in, like, Grimsby.

Sure but its still a good 30% over most London wages. I'm not disagreeing with your assessment at all btw I just think its kind of funny. Most people would be horrified to see us talking about those sort of salaries in those terms.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I noticed an unrefined bug on the backlog today "price should be returned as a float" I'm looking forward to refining this one and finding out who the hell raised it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Scrum is a form of agile with poo poo piled on top that just produces graphs to keep management happy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

- Poster still blames scrum, giving fresh developers who want to give agile (the real kind, not the led-by-management kind) a try a sour taste about it from the start.

Nothing wrong with agile but scrum is loving poo poo and you won't convince me otherwise.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

geeves posted:

One of our VPs recently told us a story how his former COO used to hold phone conference meetings from home. In the bathtub.

Hey it was good enough for Winston Churchill.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Keetron posted:

Qa as a separate department or role is a Bad Idea. We went over this a few times already.

I disagree with this but am fully aware my opinions on the matter is tainted by having a loving useless QA department.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

In the UK not fulfilling your notice could in theory lead to civil action due to the various costs you incur on your employer but in reality it stops at withholding notice pay (they legally are not allowed to withhold pay for work you have done). Its very much stacked in favour of the employee, honestly as it should be in my opinion. This does lead to some quite long probation periods though, at my current place its 6 months, but after that, unless you do continual severe infractions its pretty hard to fire you. Notice period is 2 weeks for most employees and a month for more senior (I think upper management have a 2-3 month but that's only a handful of people)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

PRs sitting around is a problem we have too. Bitbucket basically has options of 'notify me by emails if anything ever happens with anything or no emails. So people just ignore bitbucket notifications.

It's lead to many begging in teams after a few hours.

I'm currently thinking about writing something to display the open pull requests on the various tvs we have around the office just to improve visibility of them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

that was not, as i would characterize it, "advice"

like i gently mocked, you're just asserting that you don't have any issues with it and can't fathom why anyone else wouldn't be on this golden path. like, have you ever made a million-dollar mistake? have you ever snarled something up and doomed SRE's to late night pages? if you're doing those while cackling madly and ignoring the human impact, i think you're a sociopath. if it's the other way and you're not doing anything of consequence for other humans, maybe the coping strategy of "hang backpack up" would fall short?

It sounds like you work at a place that doesn't do good practise with deployments because they just expect staff to hang around after hours and fix it if it goes bad.

You should be actively trying to change that culture, and if you can't, then hunting for a new job.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

A company who chooses Scala or whatever does this from a conscious developer-backed decision. It means it's more likely that developers actually have a say in the day-to-day of the company.

It's also just as likely the company is run by some senior dev who's been there forever and insists on everyone using whatever his current pet language is instead of the best one for the job.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

Got yelled at by the boss+1 for leaving a corporate awards day at 5pm on a Friday. The "expectation" was to stay overnight at the venue, 2 hours drive away. This is hot on the heels of a move to a single floor open office. Company culture!!!!

This comment and with the dates.....you don't happen to work in the UK do you? for a certain large Canadian company? Or are dumb enforced corporate awards days that common a thing in this industry?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

Haha yeah! How would you rate our dumb enforced corporate awards on a scale of 0 to 10? :hfive:

Ha ha small world. I got the feedback email today and I gave it a 2. My feedback was basically it felt like a smug management self congratulatory event that everyone else was just dragged to just to provide an audience for them.

I also was annoyed at how much they bigged up all this money they have to invest in new companies all the while they penny pinch on investing on resources and talent in the existing companies.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Grump posted:

no but maybe that’s how we should be doing it. any place i’ve worked at the expectation is anyone should be able to review :shrug:

Where I work anyone 'can' review but I'd not invite a front end dev to check my sql code is up to snuff. And I doubt they'd invite me to check their front end javascript.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Speaking of new jobs. A while ago I was reading about the push back on large take homes companies were expecting people to do during the interview process and that companies were starting to address the issue. Well now that I'm looking for a job I'm running into the same large take homes that are different only in them just slapping "please don't spend more than an hour on this task" while still asking the same kind of 4 hour+ task of you. I questioned this with one of them and the response was "we understand that some candidates will go over the hour, but we don't encourage you too".

Is this some kind of check to see if I will work unpaid 'optional' overtime for them?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Inacio posted:

lol i had one of those that was basically "make this full application, front end and back end, it all has to work, have user management, roles and permissions, make the front end look nice" and they said it would take 2-3 hours at most.

to get it setup maybe. i had a bit of impostor syndrome kick in but it went away when i realized that no, it wasn't that i'm just not good enough to do it in 3 hours, it's just a gigantic task. in their defense they said you didn't have to do everything (which i didn't believe) and even though i didn't deliver everything (i'm not spending 5 days/multiple hours a day on this) i still passed, to be fair.

I had the exact same imposter syndrome until I shared it with a few dev friends who agreed with me it was a 4+ hour task.

The bit that threw me off even more was it said "Please take your time too really impress us". Take your time! jfc I'm barely gonna have the thing scaffolded in an hour let alone be impressing anyone with anything.
I probably wouldn't have cared so much if it was a one off, but Ive done a few of these in the last 2 weeks and I'm really tired of giving up every evening to them, I think I might just take a break for Christmas and restart my search in January. Maybe I can do some personal projects to stick on my github and ask if they will look at those for assessment instead of making me do these boring take homes that just get chucked in the bin after.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Same. The idea of take homes is great. Just please respect my time.

And giving me some broken code to fix and implement x feature is gonna tell you a lot more than "create a Web api" to which anyone can just follow a guide and pass.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I personally love clean code. It's probably my favourite programming book. I break the rules of the book all the time. But when I do I do it knowingly and with justification. Even though there are many rules I disagree with, it made me think about how I write code in a way I never had done before and I generally believe it made me a better developer.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

If you dogmatically follow [insert most things in software development] your code will be an unreadable mess.

I still argue clean code is a book worth recommending, as long as you make it clear to the person that they should engage their brain and not just follow its rules blindly. Its principles are still great.

The man himself though definitely is a poo poo , so I usually recommend people pick it up cheap 2nd hand or 'find' a pdf. You're likely to only read it once anyway.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 11, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

There is no real consensus what the successor to clean code is yet, its been the book for so long people are hesitant. Its also not helped that most alternatives just don't tackle the issues in the same depth as clean code. However I do see 'A Philosophy of Software Design by John Ousterhout' popping up a lot and seems to be gaining traction. I haven't gotten around to it myself yet though.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 11, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Here's a weird question, not asking for any reason than out of my own curiosity. Anyone ever use the VS Code Live Share feature in an actual professional development context? I personally have not.

I've used VS live share (which I assume is similar) and I've been very impressed. But it's mostly been for short discussions and walkthroughs etc, never long term pair programming.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

One of the guys at my new company was telling me he changed jobs because he was tired of working from home, he went out, bought a bunch of suits etc and then 3 months later covid hit. Now the company is selling its office and going 100% remote.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Both systems have their pros and cons. My new place is much more kanban and I vastly prefer it. It still has issues, such as non fleshed out tickets making it into our lane, which I then have to punt back etc. But the majority of the pain points arnt on me, and if it's a choice of that and loving scrum with all its pointless meetings, ill take kanban any day.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Gildiss posted:

Can't make that statement without dropping at least 1 name.

Visual Studio 2019 cant handle hunks.
Its incredibly barebones in what it does. I still use it though cos I'm lazy and its there and still works for 90% of the git stuff I do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sadly Rider can't handle the bizarre custom asp elements our project is full to the brim with, so I don't have much of a choice.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

prom candy posted:

when I left my last job everyone just wrote that they were gonna miss my dog, which is understandable

Yeah that's fair. You could be the most likeable person in the world and you'd still lose to the most basic of pooch.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's agileish but with less of the extra crap added on than scrum has. So rather than 'good' it's just less bad.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

thotsky posted:

These are common takes among developers, but Kanban does have a bunch of its own crap; classes of service, swim lanes, WIP limits and that's just the stuff that has to do with task management. There's a lot of theory, and it allows for plenty of meetings too, just look up "kanban cadences". If you end up in a team with someone who insist on doing Kanban by the book and not just "simplified scrum board and no meetings" you won't have a great time.

All true. But the reality is the vast majority of companies do agile wrong and atleast from a developers point of view doing kanban wrong is far less painful for us than doing scrum wrong.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This guy is just a factory of really stupid poo poo:

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1458061300374949888

Ah yes, the legendary MVP without any P at all.

Congrats dude, you described vaporware.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Asking someone to find something on sharepoint is just cruel.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

cum jabbar posted:

Hmmmm yeah check Confluence instead. Wait, maybe the Github wiki?

Some people say hell is customised to each person. For me it's gonna be trying to find docs.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If it's not marked as 'ready for review' don't review it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I started being camera on a few months back and it's lead to management thinking I should take on more team lead roles.

I think it's just they pop their heads into meetings, see me with camera on and assume I'm leading it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

There will be if I take it on yes. Its a new role for the company, we have a department head and at the moment he takes on way too much so the idea is to break up some of his responsibilities and divvy them out a little. So it's kind of team lead lite as we don't need full team leads really.