Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's funny because JS used to be a punch line but TypeScript is actually pretty great. Most of the time when I'm writing ruby I'm just thinking "I wish this was typescript"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Inacio posted:

i'm a huge JS fanboy and to be fair pre-ES2015 it really was a joke

Oh my god yeah I used to hate JS. I love it now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
"I'm more of an ideas guy"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Time to break into the factory and break all the GPT machines

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Bring back MM_swapImgRestore()

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We used to have to do it when I worked at an agency, but eventually I would just kinda say "how much do you want to bill them for this? great, that's exactly how long it took"

Still an annoying waste of time and I fought really hard to get us to switch to selling weeklong sprints but they weren't having it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ChickenWing posted:

While I can honestly say I've never missed work while I've been off, I'm certainly susceptible to checking slack while I'm out just to make sure everything is still ticking along. Having a job you like is pretty great.

Aside: my startup got acquired by a Microsoft shop and now we have teams instead of slack and while I love it for everything calendar related, everything else can gently caress right off. Especially the part where we need MDM if we want to look at anything work related on our phones. gently caress you I just want to be able to call in sick without leaving my bed :mad:

I hate Slack/chat apps, I honestly miss email.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

beuges posted:

Hi Prom Candy

Noted.

Regards,
beuges
<1MB signature image that's now been added to the email for the 10th time>
Please be kind to the environment and think before you print this email

Disclaimer: this email is intended only for the addressed recipient. If you have received this email in error, please destroy it and you are self. Unlawful possession of this email or the contents therein could result in death by immolation. If you are unable to read this email or disclaimer please send an email to lol@urbutt and you will receive another email with this disclaimer in it.

I'll take this over having 3 parallel conversations in the same slack channel, or taking a day off work and just completely missing anything important that happened, or getting a non-time sensitive request but still needing to respond right away or else it'll be pushed off the screen and as good as gone.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Carbon dioxide posted:

tldr; you use slack wrong

can i get the expanded edition of this post? please don't say "use threads" because the slack thread interface is awful.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Carbon dioxide posted:

You won't miss anything if you take a day off because you just leave your stuff unread if you don't check it during your off day.

https://twitter.com/cabel/status/703383420286578688?lang=en

For requests it usually comes as a DM. Like we don't use email at all so if I want to ask someone something but not interrupt what they're doing I don't really have any options. All communication is synchronous on Slack. If someone asks me something on a DM and I don't get back to them right away it can seem like I'm ignoring them or maybe that I'm not at my computer at all.

And if i missed a convo in a channel that I want to weigh in on my options are either start a thread (again, garbage interface and likely not even get seen) or respond in that channel, in the middle of whatever the current topic of conversation is and say "regarding that thing you were talking about before, blah blah blah"

I think Slack is probably great for people whose job it is to talk to people all day but for me it's a total nuisance.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Twist (https://twist.com/) seems like kind of a cool idea (basically: what if slack but threads were good/mandatory) but I don't know if it's really gained any steam

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ChickenWing posted:

I like the look of this. I maintain that threads are trash by default but this seems to really lean towards "what if email, but faster-paced" side of things. Looks like what Teams *should* be

Yeah, faster email with the option to fallback on general chat via built-in DM would be nice. I'm sure it has its own issues once you get into it though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Did you guys see that 5OT hockey game last night?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Moving the problem from "nobody cares about email" to "nobody cares about tickets"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
what's there to learn really? you put stuff in the database when you want to save it and you get stuff out of the database when you want to show it and when your actions start taking way too long to save or show data you simply find a new job at a young startup and start all over again.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Writing one or more terrible CMSes is a rite of passage for developers. I have like 4 under my belt.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Volmarias posted:

Look a forum poster had this happen to them, we can all dream ok?

I did some work for a former employer as a paid consultant but we parted on good terms.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
ActiveRecord is pretty good for basic use case stuff, it's really annoying when you need to go beyond that though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A company I used to work for a long time ago did one weeknight per week where they would provide beer and you could come in and hang out and work on your own stuff or work stuff or whatever. It's the kind of thing that would send me running if I heard about it now but this was a small company with people I really liked and free beer in my early 20s was a pretty good motivator.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah if this was voluntary it seems fine. Just so long as the voluntary nature of it isn’t used to covertly gauge “team loyalty” or some bullshit metric like that and worm its way into performance reviews and poo poo. Which I wouldn’t put past a lot of tech startups.

Yeah we didn't have performance reviews or management really. Everyone was either a designer, a developer, or maybe sales/admin. Once we started growing into having stuff like managers and reviews most of the developers and designers left (including me). I don't think I ever want to work in a company larger than like 15 people.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That is absolutely not a bug. We tend to do design review phases on our product where after a batch of related stories are submitted a designer will go through and make a list of any tweaks. Generally that same designer would have been working tightly with the developer during the building of the feature so if something looks wildly different from the mockup they were probably already involved in the discussion of why. But sometimes the developer also just misses a detail from the mockup and the designer wants it the way they want it and that's ok (assuming it's not a major effort to achieve.)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Destroyenator posted:

Also late to the PM chat but my experience with a few good PMs has been that they've been able to bring the team along on why something is being built.

This is huge for me. I like working on stuff that feels like it creates value for people. If something seems dumb or useless I'll drag my feet hard on it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
AWS Rekognition can do that I'm pretty sure.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My boss and I have come to an understanding that the length of the word "hi" is indicative of how annoying the request will be.

"hi" = simple question with a quick answer
"hiii" = probably found a bug
"hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" = I'm about to derail your day, possibly week

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Jose Valasquez posted:

Chat is asynchronous communication, nobody should be expected to drop everything and respond immediately whether the opening message is "hi" or "hi, <question>"

It's not really asynchronous though. If it was I wouldn't miss email so much.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Carbon dioxide posted:

you didn't have any distractions.

*cue two managers having an extremely loud conversation in an open office full of designers and developers trying to focus*

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The LinkedIn api is a giant piece of poo poo, in case anyone was curious

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it an overstep to give a junior/intermediate or even peer IDE tips when you're pairing? Sometimes when I'm watching others drive they're just doing stuff real slow/ineffectively (i.e. using the file browser pane to find files instead of cmd+t, never using split pane editing, etc.) but maybe that's just their preference?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

rujasu posted:

Also, the examples you gave sound much closer to preference than actually doing anything wrong IMO.

I would never say this to a co-worker but flipping through the file browser trying to find a file whose name you know is extremely wrong. File browser is for when you know where the file is but you can't remember what you called it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
alright, I think i'll continue sharing it as "hey if you want to you can do <nifty little thing>." personally I think being good with my IDE helps me stay in flow state, but I also have huge issues with focus and if something minor like not being able to find a file can really throw me off track.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Xarn posted:

Sadly I don't think that you can get figgies for debugging cooking process :v:

What happened was that I was making potato pancakes, and my daughter tried helping, so she got her own grater and bowl. When she couldn't grate a potato (she is 2 yo, she has nowhere near enough strength and motorics for that), she put down the potato and tried different one. When that didn't work, she switched her grater for mine, and when that didn't work either, she switched bowls... meanwhile I have to tell people who have been programming for 5+ years that when debugging, they should only change 1 thing at a time to systematically narrow down the problem :ughh:

This is relatable because most of my problems end up being traced back to a lack of ability too

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
never work for a company with more than 15 people and never work for a company where you don't have daily interaction with the owner/CEO imo.

edit: never work for a company where the top-level person makes more than like 1.5-2x what you make

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

asur posted:

Where are you possible working where the top level person doesn't make more than 1.5-2x what you make? I guess if you ignore already granted stock that's true at a lot of companies, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Right now bootstrapped startup, and before I worked at a boutique agency. Eventually if we sell or scale the boss is gonna make a lot more money but as for now it feels like a small team that's all pulling in one direction without a big salary divide.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

asur posted:

I don't know your specific situation, but I don't see how there's not a divide when one person, or a set of founders, stands to make 10x to 50x+ more than anyone else. I've also never seen a successful boutique company where the owner(s) aren't raking in substantially more than anyone else. I'm sure there's some cases of this happening, but it seems to be far outside the norm.

"Stands to make" is different than "actually makes." If things change and my boss buys a McLaren then yeah I'll move on to the next thing. The boutique was ultimately not successful but it provided me with a good job that I enjoyed and learned a lot in for like ten years (and a lovely job that I hated for another year and a half after we took investment and merged with another company.)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think there's little overlap between companies that use slack and ones that use Salesforce. Not sure what their goal is.

Increase that overlap?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Be warned, it's not really a 1 for 1 swap, there's stuff on Mac that uses Ctrl (ctrl-c to break in terminal) and stuff in windows that uses alt (alt-tab)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
are the ergonomics on that still good? Like once you get used to it is caps-c and caps-v comfortable to hit a thousand times a day?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ChickenWing posted:

working hours

Microsoft cares not for your "working hours"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My ability to focus has been shot since March, might be the same with your teammates. I feel lazy but like, sometimes I close the forums and say "ok I'm gonna get to work now" and then open the forums again. All I have to do is press the little button to block time waste websites and sometimes it's like I can't do it.

I'm still getting poo poo done but yeah, people are struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Grump posted:

no but maybe that’s how we should be doing it. any place i’ve worked at the expectation is anyone should be able to review :shrug:

this kinda changes everything. I wouldn't review many PRs either if nobody was putting them into my to-do list.