Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Cockmaster posted:

This reminds me of something I saw about a guy who got caught scamming ISIS. He'd pose as a young girl looking to get into the jihad business, get a recruiter to wire a few thousand dollars for travel expenses, then break contact and repeat under a new alias. Which had me wondering two things:

-Could one reliably avoid detection by communicating from behind TOR and asking for Bitcoins?

-If one were caught pulling this stunt in the US, would any jury convict you? I imagine in most circles, you'd be hailed as a hero.

Really now, how do they reconcile the reports of all the horrible things ISIS has done (which would include practicing the perversion of Islam which all but literally counts women as property)? Do they just handwave it away as a load of Western propaganda? Are they simply that desperate to belong to something that they can't make even a token attempt at understanding what they're getting into?

Wait can I do this?

Hello creative way to pay back student loans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Microwaves Mom posted:

Not so nicesis strikes again

Ol Pete strikes again

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
There was definitely an article out about a woman who joined isis and became part of one of their female brigades. Their responsibilities included making sure the other women were up to religious code, and other women regularly got beaten, tortured and killed by them. This woman then left isis when her husband nearly beat her to death. I feel bad for the fact that her husband nearly beat her to death, but not bad for her personally because she enjoyed power tripping with the religious sisters from hell and only bailed out when her own rear end was on the line :)

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

babypolis posted:

i disagree with none of this but i can still find it in my heart to feel sympathy for them

why is it so hard to understand that you can feel bad for someone without condoning their actions

i dunno maybe they did beat and torture other women in which case i would feel a lot less bad for them but it seems like they quickly regretted their choice and just lived their last few months in complete misery and i feel sad. even if you think their actions are unforgivable well they already got the worst punishment possible so

I feel bad for the situation, but I'd rather reserve actual sympathy for the women who were minding their own buisness in their homeland and ended up with isis via warfare, abduction and murder of their entire families than western women who willingly went over there

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

babypolis posted:

thats true but its not like humans have a limited well of sympathy

I don't feel sympathy for them, I feel pity

It's the same way I would feel if, let's say, an idiot young man was talked into joining an idiot right wing group filled with other idiot young men and ended up shooting some people- I would feel bad for the situation that led to it, and bad for the people they shot, but not really bad for them per se

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
It's the feeling I would have if someone I knew got mind blowingly drunk and smashed their car into a tree, paralyzing themselves, but narrowly missing a caravan of old women and babies

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

babypolis posted:

do you think these girls actually shot anyone? or actively harmed anyone besides being a propaganda piece? if they were actually sadistic and violent enough to do some real bad poo poo i dont think they would tried to run away

I think that they definitely helped recruit more young men (who definitely shot people) and more young women (who may or may not end up shooting someone). Just because they are young women doesn't absolve them of all agency, although they don't look to me as bad as that lady who was part of the religious brigade and definitely shot people

Isis depends on women to control other women, so I'm not really willing to write off all women complicit as not terrible people

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

babypolis posted:

thats a weird example. why woudlnt you feel bad for your friend while also being relieved he or she didnt do anything unforgivable

I would definitely feel bad for them, but feel worse for the old women and babies that they would have killed had they not ran into a tree. If they had done this multiple times in the past and continued to drive drunk and nearly kill people, I would feel even less bad for them, because they would be making consistently bad decisions (as these girls did) that put other people's lives in danger

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

OldMemes posted:

A lot of war criminals do the whole :qq: "its not my fault they made me do it". Just saying, maybe going to the land of genocide to help genocide is a crime. They may not have personally hurt anyone, but they were knowingly collaberating with the people who were.

People who go to join ISIS should be put on trial when they come back, simple as.

If you willingly go to a war zone to help feed, clothe, and provide material support to people committing genocide, how complicit are you?*

*historically you would just be firebombed the same as regular combatants, but it is 2015

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I kind of feel bad for everyone involved (including probably some of the guys or kids who end up shooting people), but realistically I feel much, much worse for um, some people rather than others. I feel bad for the situation is really the polite way to put it :)

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ArgoATX posted:

if i was a weird looking slavic piece of poo poo i'd probably want to get brutally raped and murdered by a bunch of virgins, too

hey Hey HEY gently caress you

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Blahsmack posted:

isis/isil is bad and should/deserve to have everything horrible that can possibly happen to them.

They're called "Pete" now fyi

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Poetic Justice posted:

To a lot of people here in the West, for Islam , rape and murder and pedophelia is okay as long as their god told them so.

My god is telling me to kick your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Poetic Justice posted:

if you ever interrupt me again imma break your freaking kneecaps.

Go join Pete about it you imbecile

• Locked thread