Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
This reminds me of something I saw about a guy who got caught scamming ISIS. He'd pose as a young girl looking to get into the jihad business, get a recruiter to wire a few thousand dollars for travel expenses, then break contact and repeat under a new alias. Which had me wondering two things:

-Could one reliably avoid detection by communicating from behind TOR and asking for Bitcoins?

-If one were caught pulling this stunt in the US, would any jury convict you? I imagine in most circles, you'd be hailed as a hero.

remigious posted:

I followed a link from the Colorado Springs shooting page and read the same article. Now I am depressed. I cannot even begin to fathom how running away to join isis appeals to young women.

Really now, how do they reconcile the reports of all the horrible things ISIS has done (which would include practicing the perversion of Islam which all but literally counts women as property)? Do they just handwave it away as a load of Western propaganda? Are they simply that desperate to belong to something that they can't make even a token attempt at understanding what they're getting into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Okay, it looks like it was actually three girls in Chechnya;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UijoPKmrEEI

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

OldMemes posted:

I've seen some handwringing left wing articles about people going "oh no what shall we do with the young people who decided ISIS wasn't for them and came crawling back".

They joined an army that is commiting ethinic cleansing on a mass scale. If they were going to join the Nazis, the papers wouldn't be having this kind of navel gazing. Put them on trial - they're not just 19 year olds who followed the wrong twitter account and got swept up in things, they're literally war criminals!

The thing is, many of these people are kids who sign up in an act of mindless youthful rebellion and get out before they have the chance to personally kill anybody (often after witnessing irrefutable proof that ISIS is, in fact, every bit as evil as Western media makes them out to be).

Does this mean they should be let off the hook entirely? Not necessarily. But there is a legitimate case for possibly sparing them from the sort of heavy-handed punishment generally considered appropriate for major war criminals.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Lolie posted:

Why does the discussion have to be framed in binary terms? Degrees of culpability exist. These girls were neither totally blameless nor at the top of the culpability hierarchy. They're "victims" in the same sense that Manson's followers were victims. Manipulated? Yes, but willingly so. We're not talking Patti Hearst types who were kidnapped and developed Stockholm syndrome.

If these young women had successfully escaped back to the West should we have dismissed their actions as youthful indiscretions or held them accountable for their role in aiding the IS? If they're gullible enough to attach themselves to one horrific "cause" how do we know they won't repeat that in the future, when there's evidence gullible people often do get conned repeatedly throughout their lives? How do we know, for that matter, that the IS isn't employing Cold War tactics and sending them back to spread disinformation?

If someone is willing to risk being tortured and killed to get away from ISIS within months of signing up, I think it's only reasonable to at least consider the possibility that they've seen the error of their ways.

At the absolute minimum, we should be rationally considering the circumstances of what attracted them to ISIS in the first place and what they personally did over there, rather than handing out mandatory minimum sentences willy-nilly.

Volume posted:

What a beautiful and peaceful religion.

Their version of Islam has less respect for the source material than Uwe Boll.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

originally it was the younger sections of the community who installed the theocratic rule

and there's no doubt that other people want to get away from this system it's just that the Iranian government has a tendency to kill these people when they protest for it.

Has there ever been a theocracy where the leaders didn't take liberties with the core principles of their religion for their own selfish ends?

• Locked thread