Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh man, the most common answer to question two is so obvious now, at the time I was making the email my mind was a harmonious blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Welp like always, I've made a couple of mistakes in the scoring :v:...I will fix them when I get home.

E: Aaaannd, fixt.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 24, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A strong start, with 3 points, I am not in last place!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

TOP TEN BABY WHAT OF IT

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

The Locator posted:

A strong start, with 3 points, I am not in last place!

You're going down Miata boy

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

blugu64 posted:

You're going down Miata boy

Luckily, it's a very short distance to fall. I re-read all my answers that I sent in, and half of them make absolutely no sense to me. I am going to blame being sick when I did this.

Pretty sure I wasn't actually sick when I did this, so my answers will remain a mystery, even to me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

In my defense -- my answer to number two was "my posting," I know nobody cares enough to argue about me. Resume arguing.

IOC -- you nailed the myth thing. I can't get my dad to look at anything over 100k miles...like it's some kind of magic number where things turn to poo poo.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 24, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I was thinking of the gun arguments in particular when I said politics. :(

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

meatpimp posted:

IOC -- you nailed the myth thing. I can't get my dad to look at anything over 100k miles...like it's some kind of magic number where things turn to poo poo.

yeah that's the worst myth in my opinion. Its been my personal experience that on anything older you want to go after the higher mileage stuff since atleast some issues have been looked after. I was telling my friend about the V6 RAV4 a few weeks back and he got all excited and wanted to buy one. we did a cursory kijiji search and we found one at extremely reasonable price that he immediately dismissed because it was at 150k miles. Atleast look at it :psyduck:

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 24, 2015

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MrChips posted:

Super Aggro Crag - 2
Somewhat Heroic
Elmnt80

In this moment we am become Nostradamus. Have you seen the chat thread? To be fair my comment was something to the effect of splash guards and SAC.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

MrChips posted:

LS swaps - 2
El Jebus
Enourmo

This was a casualty of too many people submitting answers before this was discussed. I stand by this choice though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

El Jebus posted:

This was a casualty of too many people submitting answers before this was discussed. I stand by this choice though.

same

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Wow, no one else chose the 3k oil change interval... I agree with the top choice in retrospect. I'm not off to a promising start, but that's not surprising. The first go round was a fluke.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I considered the interval thing, but that's less a myth and more "thing the oil change places keep pushing on purpose" so I changed to the other.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I thought of the mid engine corvette as a myth of a car, not a general automotive myth.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I probably should have picked octane ratings, but "Mid-Engined Corvette" always seems to come up in these, so I figured it would be worth some good points.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MrChips posted:

Each other. - IOwnCalculus

Best answer right here. Also I put some thought into these, so here's hoping.

leica posted:

I thought of the mid engine corvette as a myth of a car, not a general automotive myth.

I felt like it could go either way, but I still hear way too many people talking about gasoline in terms of "good stuff" with no understanding about the purpose of the rating. I think most of these people would :psypop: if you told them higher octane == more resistance to ignition.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 3: If you had to own only one car for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Question 4: While there are no doubt several cars that we would like to have in our dream collections, everybody has a number of cars that they would absolutely need to own, no questions asked. This is my number.

Answers soon...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I have a feeling I won't be very sheepish this game.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 3: If you had to own only one car for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Mazda Miata - 10
Freelop
Liquid Communism
Blugu64
Phone
Tahm Bwady
leica
Mat_Drinks
CannonFodder
Deeters
zundfolge

BMW M3 - 5
CornHolio
stevobob
Das Volk
Wrar
NitroSpazzz

Porsche 911 - 4
Seat Safety Switch
sadnessboner
IOwnCalculus
Bajaha

Subaru Impreza - 2
Naked Bear
GrantC

Jeep Chreokee - 2
Motronic
YF19pilot

Golf GTI - 2
Jack B Nimble
scuz

E39 BMW M5 - 2
angryhampster
KYOON GRIFFEY JR

Ford F-150 - 2
SFH1989
ilkhan

ACES:

Mercedes 190E - Fjelltorsk
A blue car - ShittyPostmakerPro
Audi RS6 - Cached Money
KTM 690 SMC - Ephphatha
A pretty drat boring life - InitialDave
Manual E39 540i Touring. - bolind
Maserati Biturbo (It would only take a few weeks for the mental breakdown and eventual suicide) - KozmoNaut
Porsche 924S - 1500quidporsche
Mustang GT350 - The Locator
Ferrari F12berlinetta - literally a fish
*head explodes* - Terrible Robot
Some sort of AMG station wagon - Somewhat Heroic
THE ONE THAT TAKES ME TO VALHALLA SHINY AND CHROME FOREVER! - extreme_accordion
1968 Charger - Alarbus
1970 LS6 Chevelle - Godholio
Volvo Wagon - El Jebus
AMC - Ozmiander
M715 - cursedshitbox
A pickup truck - SharkyTM
Volvo V70R - LloydDobler
Bentley Turbo R - Meatpimp
S-Works Tarmac - CAT INTERCEPTOR
Saab wagon - some_admin
Buick Roadmaster wagon - Enourmo
A Land Rover - Tomarse
BMW station wagon - Elmnt80
Subaru Baja - CharlesM

Question 4: While there are no doubt several cars that we would like to have in our dream collections, everybody has a number of cars that they would absolutely need to own, no questions asked. This is my number.

3 - 16
stevobob
Blugu64
bolind
literally a fish
Das Volk
1500quidporsche
Alarbus
sadnessboner
leica
Jack B Nimble
LloydDobler
some_admin
NitroSpazzz
Elmnt80
angryhampster
zundfolge

4 - 8
scuz
CornHolio
Naked Bear
Somewhat Heroic
Motronic
Mat_Drinks
Enourmo
CharlesM

5 - 5
Phone
Fjelltorsk
YF19pilot
IOwnCalculus
El Jebus

7 - 3
Cached Money
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Tomarse

69 - 2
Freelop
Deeters

6 - 2
Liquid Communism
ilkhan

42 - 2
The Locator
ShittyPostmakerPro

10 - 2
Terrible Robot
Seat Safety Switch

n+1 - 2
GrantC
InitialDave

20 - 2
extreme_accordion
Bajaha

12 - 2
SharkyTM
SFH1989

ACES:

0 - Ephphatha
13 - Wrar
7.5 (The .5 is a classic Mini Cooper) - KozmoNaut
1 - Tahm Bwady
11 - Godholio
AMC - Ozmiander
47 - cursedshitbox
17 - Meatpimp
See that episode of Archer with the dictator's car collection? Yeah, that many. - CAT INTERCEPTOR
2 - CannonFodder

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Scores after question 4:

leica - 33
Das Volk - 32
Blugu64 - 29
zundfolge - 28
sadnessboner - 27
Mat_Drinks - 26
NitroSpazzz - 26
angryhampster - 26
stevobob - 25
some_admin - 22
Elmnt80 - 22
1500quidporsche - 21
Alarbus - 21
Jack B Nimble - 21
CornHolio - 20
bolind - 20
LloydDobler - 20
Freelop - 19
literally a fish - 19
Deeters - 19
Phone - 18
Liquid Communism - 16
Somewhat Heroic - 16
Naked Bear - 15
GrantC - 14
Tahm Bwady - 14
El Jebus - 14
KYOON GRIFFEY JR - 14
CannonFodder - 14
Enourmo - 14
Wrar - 13
Seat Safety Switch - 13
Motronic - 13
scuz - 12
CharlesM - 12
Cached Money - 11
Terrible Robot - 11
IOwnCalculus - 11
Bajaha - 11
SFH1989 - 10
Fjelltorsk - 9
YF19pilot - 9
extreme_accordion - 8
ilkhan - 7
KozmoNaut - 6
The Locator - 6
cursedshitbox - 6
SharkyTM - 6
Tomarse - 6
ShittyPostmakerPro - 5
InitialDave - 5
Meatpimp - 5
Ephphatha - 4
Godholio - 4
Ozmiander - 4
CAT INTERCEPTOR - 4

See you all tomorrow, Christmas Day, for the reveal of Questions 5 and 6!

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I'm surprised that 1 managed to be an ace for question 4, I thought loads of people would be able to narrow their must-have list to a wagon :D.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ephphatha posted:

I'm surprised that 1 managed to be an ace for question 4, I thought loads of people would be able to narrow their must-have list to a wagon :D.

I feel the same, except with a truck.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

how could you not want a roadmaster wagon

v8, rwd, big comfy couch that can haul poo poo? and with the right aftermarket parts you can make it handle... enough.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MrChips posted:

Subaru Baja - CharlesM

:love:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Terrible Robot and I are bros until the end.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Terrible Robot and I are bros until the end.

:respek:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
What.up.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Enourmo posted:

how could you not want a roadmaster wagon

v8, rwd, big comfy couch that can haul poo poo? and with the right aftermarket parts you can make it handle... enough.

Because AMG wagons exist you rear end clowns! How was I the only one to say that! In retrospect I would choose BMW M3.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

MrChips posted:

Subaru Impreza - 2
Naked Bear
GrantC
:hfive:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MrChips posted:

42 - 2
The Locator
ShittyPostmakerPro

:hfive:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Because AMG wagons exist you rear end clowns! How was I the only one to say that! In retrospect I would choose BMW M3.

I don't think you are familiar with the size of a Roadmaster wagon.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Oh man, I expected a car collection of 3 would be uncommonly low. I'm impressed, AI, at your restraint.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

It's pretty obvious, you need a NA and NB Miata and a F150 to tow them with.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I already have at least four.. five? I'm not sure about the title on the last one. Five cars?

My insurance broker somehow audibly rolls his eyes when I call him now.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

stevobob posted:

Oh man, I expected a car collection of 3 would be uncommonly low. I'm impressed, AI, at your restraint.

Fun daily driver, parts retrieval and towing vehicle/alternate daily driver and race car/project car. Anything past that is just a handy assortment of spare parts in a familiar shape.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I only found this thread today but can't wait to see the results for question six, I can only think of one ad that caused a complete silence to fall over a super bowl party of 60+ people and left everyone cheering after.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

stevobob posted:

Eh, I figured 3 is a number we all can reasonably achieve (I have 3), anything over that requires more logistics than most of us can handle I think.

Of course if I won the lottery all bets are off and it's warehouse storage time.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 5: Considering that many of us work on our cars ourselves, we constantly live in fear of sound - funny sounds coming out of nowhere; putting everything back together and there's a new sound all of a sudden. This sound is the one I dread hearing the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnvnZuXKKsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3BV6mIADso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilVew4cfnU

Question 6: This is the best car/truck advertisement I've ever seen.

Answers soon...

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

My pulse quickened when I read the video title, my breathing changed to a shallow panting as he got nearer the engine, and then I think both my breathing and my heart stopped when he reached for the throttle. I really thought he might lose or narrowly avoid losing a hand.

As far as the wheel bearing video, I just helped my friend change 'bad' wheel bearings in a 2010 Camry and was really hard pressed to hear anything wrong with the car before hand ( I mean I guess it was quieter aftwards but that's probably placebo effect, so the wheel bearing video was great for me getting a clear idea of, like, an "idealized" worst case scenario for wheel bearings. I could definitely hear that.

Also I got a good feeling about the commercial question :911:

• Locked thread