Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Wankel doesn't even count as an engine, it's more of a paperweight that occasionally, when the stars align and the right blood sacrifices are made, makes a small amount of power.

Yes the last one was a paperweight, but that's the point of a comeback isn't it? The last one sucked, and it would be cool to see mazda get it right and bring us an awesome performing successful rotary, but in all likelihood it will probably never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CornHolio posted:

Did you jokers not see that episode of Top Gear? Come on, man!

There's far more to "the modern car" than the layout of the controls, and that layout being the one that stuck was basically luck. They even said as much at the end of the segment. And they deemed the Austin 7 to be the "first modern car" anyway, who didn't watch the episode now? :shepface:

Streamlined mass production, economical V8s and the like were all the result of intentional, concentrated efforts to achieve the desired effect. I feel like that carries more weight.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CornHolio posted:

STILL MADE

STILL MADE

STILL MADE YOU ASSES

Did you jokers not see that episode of Top Gear? Come on, man!

Inline 6s being made: by BMW or various diesel configs.

Toyota's? Gone.
Nissan's? Gone.
Jeep's? Gone.

The inline 6's last hurrah was the mid-90s and there's nothing you can say or do to prove otherwise.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

Inline 6s being made: by BMW or various diesel configs.

Toyota's? Gone.
Nissan's? Gone.
Jeep's? Gone.

The inline 6's last hurrah was the mid-90s and there's nothing you can say or do to prove otherwise.

GM made a bajillion i5/i6s until recently.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Question 11: In previous Sheep Games, we've discussed what makes a sports car a sports car. Let's talk about the opposite - this is the most important feature or characteristic for an everyday car, suitable for commuting, errands and the general Monday-Friday grind.

Question 12: For an everyday car without a performance-level trim, this car is a fantastic driver's car.

Answers soon...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wat? All 3 of those have a performance trim if we're just going for models and not years.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Point of the game is to be sheepiest, not correct! But yeah, Boo if those actually are top pics.

I stand by my decision.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

Wat? All 3 of those have a performance trim if we're just going for models and not years.

I have a problem calling the Miata an "everyday car" - it's a goddamn RWD two-seater convertible, every trim is a performance trim. But seeing as you haven't been able to get a Mazdaspeed6 in drat near a decade, or a Mazdaspeed3 since the redesign, I'd say either of those are fair choices.

I may have voted for one of those two cars :v:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Yet another attempt to ace up in flames.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

They killed off all the mazdaspeeds? I thought they still had them as an option. Never really cared for most of Mazda so I don't pay too much attention to their offerings.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I don't remember what I said for these answers, but I bet it's ridiculous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

They killed off all the mazdaspeeds? I thought they still had them as an option. Never really cared for most of Mazda so I don't pay too much attention to their offerings.

Yeah, the MS6 was a short run, and the MS3 hasn't come back with the current generation. I think it only persisted from 2010 to 2013 because the 2010 Mazda3 was still very similar to the 2004-09 Mazda3 under the skin.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 11: In previous Sheep Games, we've discussed what makes a sports car a sports car. Let's talk about the opposite - this is the most important feature or characteristic for an everyday car, suitable for commuting, errands and the general Monday-Friday grind.

Reliability - 17
Freelop
literally a fish
InitialDave
The Locator
Somewhat Heroic
Alarbus
extreme_accordion
Tahm Bwady
IOwnCalculus
leica
Motronic
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Jack B Nimble
CannonFodder
NitroSpazzz
SFH1989
zundfolge

Comfortable/Good Seats - 8
Wrar
Mat_Drinks
Godholio
sadnessboner
some_admin
LloydDobler
Enourmo
Elmnt80

Enjoyable - 5
CornHolio
Terrible Robot
1500quidporsche
cursedshitbox
Tomarse

Fuel Efficiency - 4
Liquid Communism
bolind
Ephphatha
SharkyTM

Four doors - 3
YF19pilot
Bajaha
ilkhan

A good stereo - 3
angryhampster
GrantC
El Jebus

Hatchback - 2
Phone
scuz

Cupholder(s) - 2
stevobob
Fjelltorsk

ACES:

Exceptionally low tire wear - ShittyPostmakerPro
Cruise control - Cached Money
Truck bed - Blugu64
Champagne cooler. - KozmoNaut
Cargo room - Seat Safety Switch
A loud horn. - Naked Bear
Automatic transmission - Das Volk
AMC - Ozmiander
Bluetooth - Meatpimp
Realising you have no life anymore it's all suburbs, boring job, fat wife and deadbeat kids - CAT INTERCEPTOR
HVAC - Deeters
Practical interior space - CharlesM

Question 12: For an everyday car without a performance-level trim, this car is a fantastic driver's car.

Mazda 3 - 7
Wrar
Liquid Communism
IOwnCalculus
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
CannonFodder
Jack B Nimble
CharlesM

Mazda Miata - 6
Freelop
The Locator
Alarbus
Motronic
SharkyTM
LloydDobler

Mazda 6 - 4
Tahm Bwady
Mat_Drinks
Deeters
angryhampster

Mazda 2 - 3
Phone
Seat Safety Switch
Enourmo

Ford Fiesta - 3
CornHolio
literally a fish
InitialDave

Honda Accord - 3
zundfolge
leica
extreme_accordion

Ford Focus - 2
Fjelltorsk
some_admin

Volvo 240 - 2
ShittyPostmakerPro
Terrible Robot

ACES:

Mitsubishi Colt - Cached Money
Suzuki DRZ 400 E - Ephphatha
Every car has a sport trom now wtf - stevobob
LaFerrari - scuz
F-150 - Blugu64
Any mazda. - bolind
FAHV HUNNERT HOSS POWAH - KozmoNaut
Subaru Justy - 1500quidporsche
Kia Cee'd (gently caress, idk) - Naked Bear
Nissan Maxima - Das Volk
Hyundai Accent - YF19pilot
BMW 128i - Somewhat Heroic
Hyundai Genesis Sedan - GrantC
Mini Cooper - sadnessboner
DMC-12 - Godholio
Toyobaru BFRZ - Bajaha
Volvo S60 - El Jebus
AMC - Ozmiander
War Rig - cursedshitbox
Ford Fusion - ilkhan
Cadillac XTS - Meatpimp
Doing a MILF doggy-style - CAT INTERCEPTOR
E30 - NitroSpazzz
Toyota Aygo - Tomarse
SL500 - Elmnt80
Honda Fit - SFH1989

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 29, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Scores after question 12:

leica - 151
Alarbus - 140
Elmnt80 - 131
literally a fish - 130
Somewhat Heroic - 128
Wrar - 125
Enourmo - 125
SFH1989 - 123
NitroSpazzz - 118
zundfolge - 117
Jack B Nimble - 116
IOwnCalculus - 114
Bajaha - 113
Mat_Drinks - 112
Das Volk - 110
CannonFodder - 106
LloydDobler - 101
angryhampster - 99
Freelop - 98
Liquid Communism - 98
Motronic - 98
CornHolio - 97
The Locator - 97
Deeters - 93
Meatpimp - 92
CharlesM - 91
Tahm Bwady - 86
sadnessboner - 86
GrantC - 85
SharkyTM - 83
some_admin - 82
Blugu64 - 74
bolind - 71
Terrible Robot - 69
stevobob - 65
extreme_accordion - 64
El Jebus - 64
KYOON GRIFFEY JR - 55
Phone - 52
Fjelltorsk - 52
Cached Money - 51
YF19pilot - 48
Naked Bear - 47
InitialDave - 43
1500quidporsche - 35
ilkhan - 33
Seat Safety Switch - 32
cursedshitbox - 31
Ephphatha - 27
scuz - 27
Tomarse - 24
Godholio - 21
ShittyPostmakerPro - 15
KozmoNaut - 14
CAT INTERCEPTOR - 14
Ozmiander - 13

See you all tomorrow for the reveal of Questions 13 and 14!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 29, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God dammit i discounted the 3 because of the Mazdaspeed as well, else it would have been my answer. gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Whoops, I hosed up my answer to question 12. Can't remember what I originally meant to put there.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MrChips posted:

Automatic transmission - Das Volk

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Apparently "Ability to jack up the inside rear tire while cornering" got distilled down to "enjoyable" :argh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I answered Miata as a joke because of the performance trim thing, and... got 6 points. :wtf:

Also, apparently "a running engine" was distilled to "reliable". Heh.

I have completely failed at being at the bottom, or the top, of this game. I am :mediocre:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Apparently "Ability to jack up the inside rear tire while cornering" got distilled down to "enjoyable" :argh:

That is enjoyable though, right? :v:

The Locator posted:

I answered Miata as a joke because of the performance trim thing, and... got 6 points. :wtf:

The joke is there has never been a performance trim for the Miata. :colbert:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Really? Noone else for the volvo 240?

You're all missing out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mazdaspeed 3/6/Miata, Fiesta ST, Focus ST. Most of the answers to #12 are invalid. Honda Accord as a "fantastic driver's car"? :bang:

#12 needed more work, people. Up your sheep game.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

MrChips posted:

That is enjoyable though, right? :v:

I suppose, I've had some major misfires this game so I'm hoping to just cause havoc for others at this point.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I misinterpreted the question

quote:

as

quote:

Question 12: For an everyday car without a trim, this car is a fantastic driver's car.

:saddowns:

e: I'm steadfast in my answer though, all you other motherfuckers need to learn how to read.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MrChips posted:

Monster :colbert: (Aftermarket wasn't specified)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Holy moly this might be the highest position I've ever had in a sheep game :shepface: given the amount of aces I've gotten this is a hollandaise miracle

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Honda Accord as a "fantastic driver's car"? :bang:

Honestly it's the only car I could think of without any performance trim with a manual that would be close.

The mazdaspeeds threw me off, and the Fiesta and Focus obviously have performance trims so I dunno.

Also lol at the Miata being an everyday car.

MrChips posted:

Mazdaspeed Miata :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 29, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrChips posted:

Comfortable/Good Seats - 8
Wrar
Mat_Drinks
Godholio
sadnessboner
some_admin
LloydDobler
Enourmo
Elmnt80

I knew this one was going to ruin my score. :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

leica posted:

Mazdaspeed Miata :colbert:

That's like, two chiles to the Miata's one chile.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

You're all missing out.

I put in the 240 but I wrote it as a 244 specifically (because that's what I drove) and I guess MrChips didn't notice they were the same basic car. :shrug:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Oh poo poo, I didn't even notice. Well, better for me, I'm still in 2nd place.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Fixt. Now you can touch your Volvos together.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

meatpimp" posted:

Mazdaspeed 3/6/Miata, Fiesta ST, Focus ST. Most of the answers to #12 are invalid. Honda Accord as a "fantastic driver's car"? :bang:

Car mags always talk about how nice the Accord is to drive, Car & Driver especially, and like leica mentioned it's one the few mainstream sedans you can still get with a manual transmission, which is also highly praised. It's also one of the few cars that I can think of that's never had an explicit performance trim in its lifetime as a model-by that standard even the Volvo 240 is out because of the 80s Turbos.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
To be fair to the accord isn't the only other midsized sedan you can get in a manual now the 5 series?

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 29, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

MrChips posted:

Fixt. Now you can touch your Volvos together.

I regret my recent posts in this thread.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The only reason I even thought of the Accord is because I have been looking for a good modern(ish) DD with a manual on a low budget, and the newer manual Accords are super cheap because apparently no one wants a manual Accord. Even cheaper than or right on par with manual Civics of the same years. I haven't driven one yet, but I imagine with the V6 or the even the K series and a manual would be a fun practical ride.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair to the accord isn't the only other midsized sedan you can get in a manual now the 5 series?

Yeah but the M5 is a thing. Worst case for Honda is the HFP kit which is essentially wheels and non functional aero junk.

Thought the BRZ/FRS twins would be more popular since everyone bitches about wanting more power out of them, and the Toyota only has an appearance package trim for the "sporty version"

Agreeing that it's crazy how everything has a "performance" trim nowadays, trim it down to something that's still enjoyable and it's a short list. gently caress, even the drat Juke can come with recaro buckets and "nismo" bullshit.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'm tired of cars with manuals having to be "events"

You used to be able to get a Chevy Astro with a manual for christ sake. Is it really that much of a sin that you can get the Accord in a manual?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I was going by Mazda's lineup over the last couple of years, and neither the 6 nor 3 have had a hotter model. They're both really delightful cars outside of a straight line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

You're all missing out.

I had one, in about as non-performance of a trim as they got (NA 2.3L and automatic). While it was not bad with some sticky rubber, the base Mazda3 shits all over it in terms of fun to drive.

zundfolge posted:

Car mags always talk about how nice the Accord is to drive, Car & Driver especially, and like leica mentioned it's one the few mainstream sedans you can still get with a manual transmission, which is also highly praised. It's also one of the few cars that I can think of that's never had an explicit performance trim in its lifetime as a model-by that standard even the Volvo 240 is out because of the 80s Turbos.

The Accord is a solid choice too. I'd still pick the 3 over either, but both of the Accords I've driven ('98 4cyl manual, '14 4cyl CVT) were remarkably tossable cars. I'd probably take either over a stock Volvo 240.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 29, 2015

• Locked thread