Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm tired of cars with manuals having to be "events"

You used to be able to get a Chevy Astro with a manual for christ sake. Is it really that much of a sin that you can get the Accord in a manual?

The original Taurus had a 5-speed (only with the 2.5L boat anchor though) in the MT5 trim.

Edit: Yeah, but this wasn't the SHO (the SHO obviously DQs the Taurus from the question).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

The original Taurus had a 5-speed (only with the 2.5L boat anchor though).

The original Taurus also had a performance trim.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Godholio posted:

The original Taurus had a 5-speed (only with the 2.5L boat anchor though).

As someone who's first car was the Gen 1 Taurus with the 3L boat anchor I would've killed for a manual with the 2.5L over the slushbox and 3L.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

1500quidporsche posted:

As someone who's first car was the Gen 1 Taurus with the 3L boat anchor I would've killed for a manual with the 2.5L over the slushbox and 3L.

Depending on year, it had between 88 and 105 hp, and 130 lb-ft vs the Vulcan's 140/160. I miss my slow-as-gently caress '89 3.0 rolling couch. I still want an 89 SHO.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I still occasionally poke around for a SHO as well. Mine was an 89 too. Pretty sure 89 Vulcan had 130hp, which to be honest I would've taken the the hit in horse power in order to have a manual and the ability to rev above what seemed like 3,500 rpm

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll admit that question 11 is where I was playing to win, because SO MANY modern cars are "reliable", it's not the 90s anymore and what really ends up clinching modern car rankings is interior (Ford Focus fit&finish and materials) and fun (mazda3's excellent handling and gearbox for a econobox).

But just because most modern cars are very reliable (did I mention it's not the 90s?) doesn't stop every. single. poster. in the car buying thread from listing their top priority as 'reliability' because poo poo, it's not like they want an unreliable car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

poo poo I had Miata for 12 and changed it at the last minute:argh: I stand by my decision

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meatpimp posted:

Mazdaspeed 3/6/Miata, Fiesta ST, Focus ST. Most of the answers to #12 are invalid. Honda Accord as a "fantastic driver's car"? :bang:

#12 needed more work, people. Up your sheep game.

The joke is that they don't currently make a Mazdaspeed 3, pimp. Although apparently they might be coming back for 2017.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

The only reason I even thought of the Accord is because I have been looking for a good modern(ish) DD with a manual on a low budget, and the newer manual Accords are super cheap because apparently no one wants a manual Accord. Even cheaper than or right on par with manual Civics of the same years. I haven't driven one yet, but I imagine with the V6 or the even the K series and a manual would be a fun practical ride.

Before I called bullshit on a stupid Accord of any flavor, I played around with the Honda web page and, while you can only get the Accord sedan with a manual paired to an anemic 189hp 4-cylinder, the Accord Coupe is available with a manual and the 278hp 6-cylinder. I stand corrected, that would probably be a pretty entertaining ride.

Liquid Communism posted:

The joke is that they don't currently make a Mazdaspeed 3, pimp. Although apparently they might be coming back for 2017.

They don't currently make any Mazdaspeed cars, do they? I didn't see the question about new cars exclusively?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah the Volvo 240 had GT, Turbo, and even Intercooled Turbo homologation models for racing. Maybe not high performance, but definitely a performance trim over the years. Otherwise I mighta picked it.

quote:

Volvo S60 - El Jebus

Well I guess we can tell who's read Twilight and who hasn't.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

meatpimp posted:

The Accord Coupe is available with a manual and the 278hp 6-cylinder. I stand corrected, that would probably be a pretty entertaining ride.l

It's Hondas take on a 90s-00s Monte Carlo

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man I'm getting slaughtered on this one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Before I called bullshit on a stupid Accord of any flavor, I played around with the Honda web page and, while you can only get the Accord sedan with a manual paired to an anemic 189hp 4-cylinder, the Accord Coupe is available with a manual and the 278hp 6-cylinder. I stand corrected, that would probably be a pretty entertaining ride.

And to be fair to the four cylinders, there is a huge aftermarket for them if you wanted more HP out of one. To me though 190 HP is just fine as long as the chassis is good. But the V6/manual coupes I have seen so far have been cheap as hell so it would be hard to overlook them, I'm gonna have to drive a couple to see how they feel.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Question 13: For an everyday car, this is is the smallest amount of horsepower I would consider to be adequate.

Question 14: On the flip side of the argument, I would say that an everyday car with more than this much horsepower is pointless.

Answers soon...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh boy, this is where I throw away all of my hard-earned aces :allears:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The answer is always FAVH HuNNERIT

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh boy, this is where I throw away all of my hard-earned aces :allears:

Pretty sure I gave the same obvious mustang-related AI answer to both of these

Edit:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MrChips posted:

Question 14: On the flip side of the argument, I would say that an everyday car with more than this much horsepower is pointless.

Answers soon...
I put 500, so I suspect this is where my climb to glory starts. I had to put more than 435, otherwise my own DD would be utterly ridiculous.

At least you picked good models. Those sure are some sexy 'stangs.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
With all the commotion around the Dodge Hellcats, the correct answer to the question "more than this much horsepower is pointless" is 708.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:agreed:

Pretty sure I used Five Hunnert as my answer to both of these questions. :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 13: For an everyday car, this is is the smallest amount of horsepower I would consider to be adequate.

80-100 - 15
Terrible Robot
extreme_accordion
Cached Money
CornHolio
bolind
Seat Safety Switch
Phone
Tahm Bwady
Bajaha
El Jebus
Jack B Nimble
SharkyTM
NitroSpazzz
Deeters
CharlesM

200-220 - 9
Somewhat Heroic
sadnessboner
leica
Motronic
ilkhan
Das Volk
Wrar
Mat_Drinks
Elmnt80

40-60 - 5
InitialDave
some_admin
Liquid Communism
Tomarse
Enourmo

100-120 - 5
Godholio
scuz
Fjelltorsk
YF19pilot
SFH1989

FAHV HUNNERT - 4
ShittyPostmakerPro
KozmoNaut
The Locator
CannonFodder

140-160 - 4
stevobob
Naked Bear
literally a fish
zundfolge

60-80 - 3
Freelop
Blugu64
IOwnCalculus

120-140 - 3
GrantC
LloydDobler
KYOON GRIFFEY JR

Less than 40 - 2
Ephphatha
1500quidporsche

240-260 - 2
Alarbus
Meatpimp

ACES:

AMC - Ozmiander
300-320 - cursedshitbox
FTP of 280 watts - CAT INTERCEPTOR
Depends on the weight - angryhampster

FAHV HUNNERT - 13
Somewhat Heroic
KozmoNaut
ShittyPostmakerPro
bolind
CornHolio
GrantC
sadnessboner
leica
ilkhan
LloydDobler
CannonFodder
Enourmo
NitroSpazzz

400-420 - 8
Blugu64
Naked Bear
literally a fish
InitialDave
Phone
Motronic
Mat_Drinks
El Jebus

300-320 - 8
SharkyTM
some_admin
Seat Safety Switch
YF19pilot
extreme_accordion
Bajaha
Jack B Nimble
zundfolge

There is no such thing as too much horsepower, this is a trick question. - 6
The Locator
Terrible Robot
Alarbus
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Tomarse
SFH1989

600-620 - 3
Tahm Bwady
cursedshitbox
Elmnt80

800-820 - 2
Cached Money
IOwnCalculus

200-220 - 2
Freelop
Ephphatha

340-360 - 2
Wrar
Fjelltorsk

240-260 - 2
stevobob
Deeters

ACES:

708 - scuz
120-140 - Liquid Communism
140-160 - 1500quidporsche
1500 - Das Volk
150,000 - Godholio
AMC - Ozmiander
540-560 - Meatpimp
EPO-boosted cyclist - CAT INTERCEPTOR
Depends on the weight - angryhampster
100-120 - CharlesM

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 30, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Scores after question 14:

leica - 173
Somewhat Heroic - 150
Alarbus - 148
NitroSpazzz - 146
Enourmo - 143
Elmnt80 - 143
literally a fish - 142
Jack B Nimble - 139
Wrar - 136
Bajaha - 136
SFH1989 - 134
Mat_Drinks - 129
zundfolge - 129
CornHolio - 125
CannonFodder - 123
Das Volk - 120
IOwnCalculus - 119
LloydDobler - 117
Motronic - 115
Deeters - 110
sadnessboner - 108
The Locator - 107
CharlesM - 107
SharkyTM - 106
Liquid Communism - 104
Tahm Bwady - 104
Freelop - 103
GrantC - 101
angryhampster - 101
bolind - 99
Meatpimp - 95
some_admin - 95
Terrible Robot - 90
extreme_accordion - 87
El Jebus - 87
Blugu64 - 85
Phone - 75
stevobob - 71
Cached Money - 68
KYOON GRIFFEY JR - 64
YF19pilot - 61
Fjelltorsk - 59
Naked Bear - 59
InitialDave - 56
Seat Safety Switch - 55
ilkhan - 55
1500quidporsche - 38
cursedshitbox - 35
Tomarse - 35
scuz - 33
ShittyPostmakerPro - 32
Ephphatha - 31
KozmoNaut - 31
Godholio - 27
CAT INTERCEPTOR - 16
Ozmiander - 15

See you all tomorrow for the final reveal of Questions 15 and 16!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 30, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FAHV HUNNERT

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Locator posted:

:agreed:

Pretty sure I used Five Hunnert as my answer to both of these questions. :v:

I lied.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Tomorrow's reveal is going to be great :allears:

How did I forget about FAHV HUNNERT?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

How in the gently caress did I miss FAHV HUNNERT? I even sent out the loving shirts.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress loving fahv hunnert hawspawah

Worth it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Itshappening.gif this is the greatest game of sheep I have ever played. I'm also slightly surprised that on another number question nobody played the 69 game

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

How in the gently caress did I miss FAHV HUNNERT? I even sent out the loving shirts.

Wait what, how do I get a FAVE HUNNERT shirt?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Itshappening.gif this is the greatest game of sheep I have ever played. I'm also slightly surprised that on another number question nobody played the 69 game

MrChips posted:

Question 4: While there are no doubt several cars that we would like to have in our dream collections, everybody has a number of cars that they would absolutely need to own, no questions asked. This is my number.

69 - 2
Freelop
Deeters

:colbert:

I probably should have used it more

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to say question 14 was a trick.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to say question 14 was a trick.

Well of course it's a trick cause there's only one correct answer and that answer starts with FAVH and ends with HUNNERT.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I picked 340-360 because after that most cars are too fast to really play with on public roads.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Wrar posted:

I picked 340-360 because after that most cars are too fast to really play with on public roads.

we made the same mistake; assuming AI would be sane :v:

(still in 6th, i'm ok with this)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

LloydDobler posted:

Well I guess we can tell who's read Twilight and who hasn't.

I'm glad to say I don't get this. Is there something in twilight that is about the S60?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

It's all about the weight, people. :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Look man it's the holiday season, we are all doing our best

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryhampster posted:

I think I put "... depending on weight" in my answers too, though that might've been the first draft. In a light enough vehicle, 80hp can be plenty to have some fun with, whereas 200hp might feel anemic in something particularly heavy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think I put "... depending on weight" in my answers too, though that might've been the first draft. In a light enough vehicle, 80hp can be plenty to have some fun with, whereas 200hp might feel anemic in something particularly heavy.

40hp is all you ever need. in a shifter kart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

angryhampster posted:

No you see there's no replacement for displacement and...

• Locked thread