Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
32-bit Siren
Mar 21, 2009

Demonachizer posted:

She is kind of too nice to tell people to gently caress off so I feel like I have to help a bit.

Your wife should definitely let this client go. The short term stress of writing them a letter, and rejecting them when they try to pressure her to take their kid back will be much less than the long term stress of having these people in your house, treating her disrespectfully.

Does your wife have issues with her self-esteem? Clearly, she's a talented and capable person, why is it that she hesitates to stand up for herself? Letting this client go will be a good move for her in more ways than one. It'll get this obnoxious guy out of her hair, and it could be a step toward becoming more assertive.

Good luck to you, OP. Please keep us updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

32-bit Siren
Mar 21, 2009

Demonachizer posted:

I spoke to her a bit more about it tonight and it looks like we will cut him loose. I also spoke to her further than before and she was very upset by the situation and she really felt that he had crossed a line. He seemed to realize it to she mentioned as he was a bit sheepish at the end of the lesson but that doesn't truly matter.

I forgot to mention before that he in all likelihood hit one of our cars and didn't own up to it last year. A neighbor asked us who the guy was that hit our car since he had been in our house then described his car to a t. When I called him about it he denied it ever happened and we just let it go because the damage was very minor and it wasn't worth doing a he said/she said about it.

It took me a long time to convince my wife to raise her rates. She was charging 40 per hour when I met her and had been for years. She now gets around 100 depending on the client. She could probably charge 120 and people would pay it. She HATES talking about money with clients as it feels dirty to her somehow...

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that one of her students passed away. My sympathies to your wife.

It's good to hear that she's with you on letting him go. Between the way he's treated her, and the fact that he hit your car and didn't own up to it, you've got plenty of reasons to ask him to take his business elsewhere. I agree firmly with the others that have been saying to keep it short and impersonal. Edit out anything personal, any explanation or apology. He'll only try to use those against you. Best to keep it brief, and to the point.

What you mentioned about her hesitation to talk about rates with clients caught my eye. It's another indicator of low self-esteem. It's too bad, really. A dick will never hesitate to demand more money, because they have an inflated sense of self worth. It's what makes them a dick. Sadly, it's the modest, hard working people that do hesitate to ask for more. Even though they should be earning just as much as others in their field, they won't. Help her build up her estimation of her worth. Once she's confident in the value of her time, she'll become more comfortable asking for more.

• Locked thread