Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stabbed somebody, instagram said so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

Will someone please explain to me how weight works I seriously cannot understand how someone who looks how Tamir does in the photos could weigh 195 at 5'7".

E: like, scientifically.

E: how does he weigh 40 pounds more than me at 4 inches shorter and not looked muscled or fat??

I don't know the dating of the photos of him. A person who was under 6' tall, and going on 200 would look obese, especially an under-15 year old. Even then, you don't 'look older' just because a kid is heavier. Whatever mistakes the officer made and should be criticized for apparently wasn't enough to convince the jury, but the argument the 12 year old resembled a hulking adult, is the one they used, overwhelmingly in their choice not to indict.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Like 80% of these national outrage cases this one is a lot more reasonable when you arent getting emotional and imagining an ideal scenario where they, a supercop forums user would have made the right call, no problem.

As a clevelander: "Suck it, Debate and discussion, your tears make me immortal".

I'm sure your fellow Clevelander's will be ready to poo poo on your celebrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CommanderApaul posted:

The issue is that the legal standard for charging an officer with a crime while they're carrying out their duties is whether their actions are reasonable given what they knew at the time the alleged crime occurred. The dispatcher was told that there was a black male at the park repeated pulling out a gun and pointing it at people, but that he was probably a juvenile and it was probably fake. The information dispatched to the officers was "black male at the park repeatedly pulling a gun from his waistband and pointing it at people." The Grand Jury decided that given that information, the officers were justified in shooting the kid when he reached for his waistband because they were responding to what was relayed to them as a borderline active shooter. The age and size and all that stuff doesn't really enter into it because it has nothing to do with the legal standard that the prosecution has to meet to justify charges. The prosecutor is flapping his gums about it because he needs to find some way to justify the Grand Jury not issuing an indictment to the media and the public, otherwise the city is going to explode. And he's doing a very, very bad job of it, because giving a straight clinical legal explanation of why the charges weren't warranted isn't going to help either.

This case is ridiculously similar to that Walmart "assault rifle" shooting in Beavercreek in that the responding officers were given either bad or outright false information that they acted on as if it were true, without stopping to evaluate the situation, and ended up killing someone because of it.

There are some major structural and training changes that need to be made to policing in America so that officers are not so drat jumpy. I've been out for 10 years and it has given me an interesting perspective on things, and the us vs them attitude that a lot of people that I used to call my friends had back then and still have now is frightening. There's a huge amount of "everyone you come into contact with has the potential to kill you so you need to be on your guard 24/7" training that gets drilled into your head, with accompanying video like the Dinkheller shooting (warning: audio of officer begging for his life after getting shot by suspect) and Surviving Edged Weapons (warning: nasty knife wounds), and it just puts you in a really bad mindset.

Also every US VIGILANT CITIZEN has been trained by 24, and other tv shows, so everybody wants to give 911 operators tactical-PSYOPS-INTEL before the cops arrive, and as you said it just causes them to misread the situation, and kill innocent people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

Then tell me, where do you imagine that conversation goes? Everyone here has said it's bullshit. We're also saying that it's a minor detail not worth getting bogged down in when you have a loving mountain of other reasons that are much harder to defend.

I mean if you want to go ahead and tilt at that windmill, go for it. Your not anywhere near where the dragon is standing though.

Who's we besides you and Cole? You insist it is just 'bullshit' when the GJ made their decision based on it. Get a clue as to what people are getting 'bogged' down in.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They can probably get a wrongful death suit out of it.

God help us if they actually do, though. The right wing hate sphere is going to have a field day on that. You're going to hear nonstop "they're just greedy jerks using the tragedy for a quick buck."

They will likely give the Rice family a papparazzo experience. Believe you me, it isn't just going to just be mean things they write, they're going to gently caress with the family, like they hosed with Trayvon Martin's.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"They're very interesting people" Hmm were they clear spoken and articulate McGinty?

Dude's the perfect prosecutor to have out there spreading the good news about justice served.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Just want to say thanks for this, as I decided to watch Eyes on the Prize this past holiday vacation, and I gotta say it was interesting seeing them interviewing many of the figures involved on both sides, but the documentary exploring the police tactics and actions just seemed all too familiar.

• Locked thread