Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grundulum posted:

One thing that came up towards the end of the last thread was a suggestion that officers be allowed to turn in blank report forms, but also be harshly punished for turning in a false report. What unintended consequences would this have?

Both of those are currently the law, correct? Officers don't have to turn in reports if the report might describe illegal behavior and falsifying police or government documents is a criminal offense in most states, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Again, I specifically addressed this argument already and you haven't done anything but repeat it without adding anything new, but sure lets try this again:

Its not part of his job according to the policy of the NYPD, for violating internal policies the department has the option to punish him through professional means.

In order to punish someone criminally the conduct has to be not part of the job of a police officer according to the criminal codes of the state of New York.

If you want to revise that criminal codes to say "see: whatever department policy is" then yes you are giving police chiefs the ability to write de facto criminal code with no oversight.

So are there any lethal actions police could have taken to kill Garner that you'd argue are illegal?

If they had used a garrote to choke rather than hands, would that still be legal in your mind?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

falcon2424 posted:

Huh, reading further down the page, there's a more explicit bit:

This seems to support Jarmak; the statute is about the officer's personal beliefs.

I'll have to walk my position back a bit. We ought add an 'in the course of official duties' section to that law.

Except, none of the officers involved have made the claim that they needed to kill him in self-defense right? This is an arrest takedown gone bad, not a self-defense slaying, correct?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

OK, so let's say that, because he has the equivalent of a Boy Scout's first aid merit badge, the officer applies a bad tourniquet to the leg, and it ends up having to be amputated. Is the officer liable for that?

A lot of medical interventions carry risks for the patient.

Most states have Good Samaritan laws that limit the liability, and BSA hasn't taught tourniquets in a long long time. And cops do let people bleed to death before getting them medical care, so I think it'd be worth it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Yes, this isn't a sport, when a cop steps in front of your car the acceptable course of action is to stop, you don't get a free shot at running him over because he's stopping your escape.

why are you talking about a car, when we're talking about someone on foot? Moving towards the office as seen on the video, is not the same as attempting to run them over with a car. You're acting like we don't have video evidence here....

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

botany posted:

The gently caress?! He's not even aggressively posturing, he just slowly put his hand on the car :psyduck:

He still had a hand on the car when they shot him. Yes sadly, as this thread shows, I would be shocked if the internal investigation didn't show that the officer was really scared and thus it was a good execution.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm just curious what the liability would be if he, say, missed and shattered the dude's hand at the wrist. Or loving killed him. I'm pretty sure maiming someone for life in order to stop their suicide isn't covered under QI.

Maiming them wouldn't be covered but killing them would be?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Here's some Danish regulation on the use of guns by police:

quote:

17. (1) Firearms may only be used:
(i) to avert an on-going or imminent dangerous assault on a person;
(ii) to avert other imminent danger to the lives of persons or of such persons incurring grievous bodily harm [...]
(iv) to secure the apprehension of persons who have or are suspected on reasonable grounds of having commenced or committed a dangerous assault on another person unless the risk that such persons will commit another such assault is deemed not to exist;
(2) Before the police fire shots involving a risk of harm to a person, the person must be informed in so far as possible, first by shouted warnings and then by warning shots, that the police intend to fire if police orders are not observed. It must also be ensured, in so far as possible, that the person is able to observe the order.
(3) In case of an obvious risk of hitting third parties, shots may only be fired as a last resort [...]
(5) If police shooting has caused harm to a person, the person must immediately be examined by a doctor.

While it might go against NRA-based training, a warning shot to ensure that the suspect has been fully informed that police to intend to fire if police orders are not observed actually makes sense.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nathilus posted:

Just because it's official somewhere doesn't make it a good idea. People shoot guns into the air at weddings in certain parts of the world and every once in a while someone catches lead on its way back down. I'm not gonna wail and gnash my teeth hard enough to keep anyone awake over either of those situations, but I internalized the lesson that even pointing a gun at something you don't intend to destroy is a very bad idea long ago.

So do you think Danish police procedure is wrong because they'll fire warning shots?

And to be clear, is it that in your mind it would be better for police to kill someone than fire a warning shot or what?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nathilus posted:

Yes. I'm not Danish and they can do what they want. I would really hate it if a cop started spraying "warning" lead on a street I was on, though!

Of course, you're ignoring how the rules expressly require the officer to only fire a warning shot if they can do so safely.

quote:

There are indications that 16 out of the 23 persons hit by police bullets were mentally ill, and that 2 out of 3 were under the influence of drugs, medicine or alcohol when they were shot. Often police officers tried other means of force before using their pistols. Based on reports submitted by police officers from 1996 to 2006, a slight decrease can be noted with respect to whether the suspects are armed, particularly with firearms. However, the numbers of police officers who are threatened or attacked with weapons are, with some fluctuation, relatively stable over the period. In the 23 shooting incidents examined, 14 suspects were armed, predominantly with stabbing weapons. 9 suspects threatened or attacked police officers physically in person or by driving a car at them or a third party.

When police officers draw their pistols, it is typically related to reported assaults, illegal possession of arms and robberies. More often, however, when they fire their pistols, it is in situations concerning domestic violence, pursuit of cars and attempt at suicide – particularly situations involving mentally ill persons and pursuit of cars involve a remarkably higher risk that the situation will lead to a police officer firing his or her pistol.

In one out of three incidents reported where police officers have used their pistols as a threat, they had already drawn the weapon upon arrival at the location; however, in one out of six situations where police officers have fired their pistols, the pistols were drawn upon arrival. In one out of four situations, where the police pistol is fired, it happens at least 15 minutes or more after the arrival of the police officers. The typical reason for drawing the pistol is precaution, imminent dangerous attack, apprehension of a dangerous fleeing suspect, or, particularly when shots are fired, dangerous attack on a police officer. Typically 1-2 shots are fired at a distance of 1-5 metres. Mostly 1-2 police officers are involved (42 percent when a police pistol is drawn, 57 percent when it is fired).

Police bullets mostly hit arms and legs; the bullet continues through the body part in approximately 50 percent of all incidents. No third party has been hit by a police bullet since the introduction of the Action 3 round.

(https://www.politi.dk/NR/rdonlyres/20DE43AF-33F4-48C5-A710-6A58457E35D2/0/Engelskresum%E9afendeligrapport.pdf)

Oh look, and no one has been shot because of a warning shot either!

I would really hate if a cop shot killer lead on a street I was on, and more so than a warning shot!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zwabu posted:

The discussion of leg shots and warning shots is fascinating and all, but is there any interest in the fact that the US Dept. of Justice today announced they are investigating the Chicago PD with respect to their use of force among other things?

Kind of a bigger entity than the Ferguson PD. Any chance of this resulting in changes in police practices, in Chicago and elsewhere, as a long term result? It is kind of serving notice that the DOJ is paying attention to all this.

Or speaking of Chicago, how it has been confirmed that different police reports directly contradict the evidence in the McDonald killing, but shocking to no one, there've been little to no followup from police.

quote:

Police officers who watched a colleague shoot a black Chicago teenager 16 times filed reports depicting a very different version of events than what dashcam footage showed, portraying the teen as far more menacing than he appeared in the video.

The city released hundreds of pages of documents late Friday pertaining to the October 2014 killing of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald by Jason Van Dyke, a white police officer. Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder last month, only hours before the department released the video under a court order, sparking protests and accusations of a cover-up.
In the newly released police reports, several officers including Van Dyke and his partner described McDonald as aggressively approaching officers while armed with a knife. At least three other officers, including his partner, supported key details in Van Dyke's portrayal of events.

The officers' version, recorded in more than 300 pages of handwritten and typed reports, prompted police supervisors to rule at the time that McDonald's death was a justifiable homicide and within the use of force guidelines, even though the dashcam video also was available to them shortly after the shooting.

Van Dyke told an investigator McDonald was "swinging the knife in an aggressive, exaggerated manner" and "raised the knife across the chest" and pointed it at Van Dyke, according to one report. Multiple officers reported that even after McDonald was down, he kept trying to rise while holding the knife.

"In defense of his life, Van Dyke backpedaled and fired his handgun at McDonald, to stop the attack," one report reads. "McDonald fell to the ground but continued to move and continued to grasp the knife, refusing to let go of it."

Van Dyke told an investigator he feared McDonald would rush him with the knife or launch it at him. He also noted a 2012 Chicago Police Department warning about a knife capable of firing a bullet, according to the reports. The reports included a copy of the warning issued by an unidentified "Midwest intelligence organization" that was circulated to officers.

(http://abc13.com/news/chicago-cops-versions-of-teens-killing-appear-to-contradict-video/1111211/)

Yup, that's right, they ruled the killing a "good shoot" without even looking at the dashcam evidence.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Toasticle posted:

Forgetting for the moment the mental pretzel of logic that justifies even drawing on someone who wrecked his car after running a red light because "he might flee" how in the gently caress is hoping nobody will notice he shot him in the neck not? Telling the EMTs and the hospital "Oh yeah btw he also has a bullet in his neck" is the kind of information that is kind of loving important for the people trying to save him.

Police have no legal duty to help anyone or take any action that might protect human life.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

If I pulled a gun on a drunk guy who just rolled his car and fingerfucked the trigger so I accidentally shot him in the neck, did I do something illegal?

Sadly it depends on the state. In Florida for example, that wouldn't be a crime unless you yourself were drunk or you thought the gun was unloaded so you pulled the trigger. Even "accidentally" killing someone isn't a crime there:

quote:

William DeHayes told police that his .22 caliber handgun went off after he spun it around his finger. The bullet struck Katherine Hoover in the head, killing her. Her unborn son died soon after.

Hoover's mother, Donna Bryan, has started a petition on Change.org, asking prosecutors to reconsider their decision not to charge DeHayes.

"How is it that DeHayes' right to own and play recklessly with his guns trumps my daughter's right to life?," Bryan asks. So far, more than 2,800 people have signed the petition.

But in a letter responding to Bryan's request for a prosecution, Florida State Attorney Brad King said that DeHayes' actions simply didn't rise to the level of a crime under Florida law.

"An accidental discharge of a firearm causing death, even if the result of gross negligence cannot be prosecuted criminally," King wrote. "Just as it is my duty to prosecute those who violate the law, it is equally my duty to refrain from prosecuting those whose conduct, no matter how outrageous, does not constitute a crime. This is such a case."

According to Florida Assistant State Attorney Pete Magrino, in order to rise to the level of a crime in Florida, an unintentional shooting must meet the standard of "culpable negligence." In his decline-to-charge memo, Magrino describes culpable negligence as "showing reckless disregard for human life."

Had DeHayes pulled the trigger of his gun intentionally, for example, thinking the firearm was unloaded, and it went off, or had he been drunk or under the influence of drugs when the shooting occurred, that would have been a crime. But, as Magrino's colleague Chief Assistant State Attorney Ric Ridgway told 48 Hours' Crimesider, "If you're just being careless with a gun and it goes off, that's not a crime."

I think this says more about our insane gun laws than anything. If I was being doing donuts with my car and killed someone the law would be different.

(http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-is-an-accidental-shooting-really-a-crime/)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

Trabisnikof's characterization of what that article says is pretty wrong.

Really? What part of this:

Trabisnikof posted:

In Florida for example, that wouldn't be a crime unless you yourself were drunk or you thought the gun was unloaded so you pulled the trigger. Even "accidentally" killing someone isn't a crime there:

Is not backed up by this:

quote:

"An accidental discharge of a firearm causing death, even if the result of gross negligence cannot be prosecuted criminally," King wrote. "Just as it is my duty to prosecute those who violate the law, it is equally my duty to refrain from prosecuting those whose conduct, no matter how outrageous, does not constitute a crime. This is such a case."

According to Florida Assistant State Attorney Pete Magrino, in order to rise to the level of a crime in Florida, an unintentional shooting must meet the standard of "culpable negligence." In his decline-to-charge memo, Magrino describes culpable negligence as "showing reckless disregard for human life."

Had DeHayes pulled the trigger of his gun intentionally, for example, thinking the firearm was unloaded, and it went off, or had he been drunk or under the influence of drugs when the shooting occurred, that would have been a crime. But, as Magrino's colleague Chief Assistant State Attorney Ric Ridgway told 48 Hours' Crimesider, "If you're just being careless with a gun and it goes off, that's not a crime."

Which is from a story about where a guy was spinning his gun on his finger, killed someone and the DA believed no crime had occurred because it wasn't culpable negligence.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

Bolding added:

The usage of unless implies that the only way for accidentally shooting someone is either to be drunk or thought the gun was unloaded, but those are just two examples that the person is saying is definitely a crime. The last sentence is a direct contradiction to premise of the entire discussion, when accidentally killing someone is a crime (which is when you reach the relevant standard of negligence in whatever state).

Oh you you're just fishmechin' got it. Because accidentally shooting someone isn't a crime unless you reach the relevant standard of negligence.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

If people are going to disagree with me that their characterization of an article is bad, but the reason they disagree with me is that they wrote something objectively stupid and expected me to real time transform their objectively stupid sentence into something that made actual sense, I would rather have the derail than objectively stupid characterizations of articles.

You really seem to have problems understanding the difference between an affirmative defense and an act that isn't criminalized.

For example the statement: "Speech isn't criminalized in the US", do you think it is valid or invalid? Some speech can in fact get me convicted, but generally speech cannot.

The example from the article was a man who was spinning his gun around his finger when he shot someone, the DA said "An accidental discharge of a firearm causing death, even if the result of gross negligence cannot be prosecuted criminally" so yeah, I still think saying that "in Florida accidentally [shooting] someone isn't a crime" is a valid statement, since it is on face true and backed up by evidence.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

He can still get taken for everything in a civil suit.

Why wouldn't this fall under qualified immunity? The shooter was clearly acting in an official role at the time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Talkin' about the guy spinning a gun on his finger cowboy style.

That makes way more sense. I seem to be lacking in brain today.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I seriously don't get your point here. Recently, it was argued that the SFPD shouldn't have shot a guy with a knife (who had already stabbed one person) because he tried to walk away. Yet now you're arguing that the police should have killed this guy dead before he could hurt his wife again. The police shouldn't have shot these other people, but since they did, they should also have to shoot this cop as a matter of fairness?

Can you really see no difference between someone with a knife and not near their victim versus someone with a gun well within shooting range of the victim they had already shot?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jarmak posted:

its not the anger that's the red flag, its the total disregard for the level of force that is being directed his way, and if anything the lack of outward anger. If he had stopped and started hurling expletives at the police, hell even if had done everything exactly the same but had been screaming "gently caress the police" while doing so it would have indicated general frustration and anger, his calmness in the face of the display of force is part of what makes him seem like he's about to go for a gun.

Loudmouths are generally just loudmouths, people who just calmly ignore you are the ones that do poo poo.

Also if he had been pulling a gun and the officer had waited longer then he did he would have run a real risk of himself or others being shot before he could stop the threat. I'm sorry and I know a lot of this stuff I'm basing this assessment on isn't as obvious to people who haven't had training/experience in dealing with similar situations, but with the Taylor shooting I couldn't have scripted a sequence of events that more clearly broadcast "I'm about to pull a gun on you" then Taylor's actions.

Really, now it is "he was too calm" and arguing "if only he'd yelled 'gently caress the police' he might have lived"?

Really, being still and not being overly emotive is "broadcast 'I'm about to pull a gun on you'" when someone has a loving gun pointed at you, and the news is full of stories of how Tamir deserved it because he flinched?

This is loving kafkaesque.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 15, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Looks like Chicago PD will be allowed to destroy records over 4 years old, even after admitting that people were tortured over a 20 year time span:

quote:

As the U.S. Department of Justice gears up for a civil rights investigation into the Chicago Police Department, the city’s police unions are fighting in court to keep hidden reams of complaint records spanning decades.

Last year, a request made under the Freedom of Information Act for records of complaints against Chicago police officers dating back to 1967 was challenged unsuccessfully by the city. The Illinois Appellate Court ruled the city must honor the request, made by independent local journalist Jamie Kalven.

In the wake of that ruling, Kalven was joined by the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times in his fight for the data, and city officials agreed to release it.

But then the unions stepped in.

In October 2014, the union representing rank-and-file Chicago police officers sued the city to prevent the release of records more than four years old.

The suit by the Fraternal Order of Police, or FOP, argued that officers would face “public humiliation and loss of prestige in their employment” were those older records made public. The Chicago Police Benevolent and Protective Association, or PBPA, which represents higher-ranking officers, filed a separate, similar lawsuit.

Illinois Circuit Court Judge Peter Flynn granted the unions an injunction preventing the release of most of the files. But preliminary findings show the power and importance of this kind of information.
University of Chicago Law Professor Craig Futterman says patterns such as these are crucial to acknowledge in efforts to increase police accountability and efficacy, and that destruction of these records would mean the destruction of all evidence of abuse, including police torture. He has been at the forefront of the legal fight to win release of the records.

Futterman also serves on the Illinois Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission, a state agency that investigates whether Illinoisans who allege they were coerced into confessions merit new hearings. He says destroying the records in question would make it difficult or impossible to get new hearings for those individuals.

Chicago officials acknowledge police officers tortured people under the nearly 20-year tenure of former police commander Jon Burge.

But if the police unions are successful in their lawsuits against the city, Chicago officials may have to destroy all records and evidence related to police complaints over four years old.

An arbitrator has already ruled in the PBPA case that the city’s contract allows the department to erase old records. Futterman expects the same ruling in the FOP case.

But Flynn ruled in an emergency order on Dec. 3 that Chicago authorities must notify journalists and activists before destroying any records.

(http://rockrivertimes.com/2015/12/14/chicago-police-unions-fight-to-destroy-decades-of-records/)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommanderApaul posted:

I know, it's weird. I'd like to see the actual indictment, it should be enlightening.

Ask and you shall receive: http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-jason-van-dyke-indictment-document-20151216-htmlstory.html

Looks like they're variations of the same charge.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 17, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

Honestly this article is pretty enraging. A teenage girl was coerced by police into recanting her rape accusation and essentially had her life ruined through public humiliation and legal prosecution. Later on, it turns out oops! She had been the victim of a prolific serial rapist who kept pictures of his assault of her on his hard drive.

Even the police admit that the investigators acted horribly and with no professional basis, yet no one was even disciplined:

quote:

After O’Leary was linked to Marie’s rape, Lynnwood Police Chief Steven Jensen requested an outside review of how his department had handled the investigation. In a report not previously made public, Sgt. Gregg Rinta, a sex crimes supervisor with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office, wrote that what happened was “nothing short of the victim being coerced into admitting that she lied about the rape.”
That Marie recanted wasn’t surprising, Rinta wrote, given the “bullying” and “hounding” she was subjected to. The detectives elevated “minor inconsistencies” — common among victims — into discrepancies, while ignoring strong evidence the crime had occurred. As for threatening jail and a possible withdrawal of housing assistance if Marie failed a polygraph: “These statements are coercive, cruel, and unbelievably unprofessional,” Rinta wrote. “I can’t imagine ANY justification for making these statements.”
Jensen also ordered an internal review, which was similarly damning. Mason’s judgment was unduly swayed by Peggy’s phone call. The detectives’ second interview with Marie was “designed to elicit a confession of false reporting.” The false reporting charge arose from a “self-imposed rush.”
Despite the reviews’ tough language, no one in the Lynnwood Police Department was disciplined.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

So the department should, what, punish officers on the basis of unsworn statements?

How about investigate them and look at other complaints against the officer when doing so? You're right they shouldn't be punished without an affidavit, but as police remind us constantly, an investigation isn't a punishment. Investigate complaints and look at officer's history of repeat complaints when investigating.

quote:

Nearly 60 percent of all the complaints were thrown out without being fully investigated because the alleged victims failed to sign required affidavits. What's more, investigators won't consider an officer's complaint history as part of the investigation, and many of the cases come down to the word of the officer versus the accuser.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

So you want to move the burden of proof on to the accused based on previous misbehavior and have people punished on the basis of unsupported, un-sworn testimony. That's not hosed up and dystopian at all. I can see why the police are glad they have unions. (Also, we were talking about allegations an officer has been previously cleared of, but you've suddenly shifted to an officer with a record of substantiated complaints.)

Funny that when its a police investigation of police, getting investigated or having unsworn testimony collected against you is some horrible violation of officer's rights. But if police did that to anyone else, it would be their job.

Edit: once again, don't move the goal posts, we're talking about even just investigating complaints not firing or arresting people.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 18, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

You do realize that this argument is essentially "If enough people say it, it must be true!" right?

No, its more "if enough people say it, maybe the police should investigate!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Is this some sort of weird gaslighting attempt, or are you all just too lazy to read? DARPA was specifically in favor of disciplining officers based on un-sworn complaints with no supporting evidence. I'm not misrepresenting him, that's what he said and then doubled down on it. Watermelon City said that we should draw conclusions based on the number of times something is alleged, irrespective of its merit. That is literally a "if enough people say it, it's probably true" argument. No one has a problem with the police investigating a complaint, sworn or un-sworn. However, given the nature of things like "failure to provide service," it's likely that there is no evidence outside of the complainant's allegation. I think people shouldn't be punished based on he-said/she-said statements, particularly if the accuser isn't willing to swear to the truthfulness of their statements.
I'll admit that I've only worked in the public sector, but in every single case I saw, and in every briefing I had on employee discipline, it was made clear that taking action against an employee required documentation of misbehavior, which definitely did not include un-sworn statements. If someone wanted to file an EO complaint, they had to type out and sign a statement, and so did any witnesses, and the accused had an opportunity to respond & a right to appeal. In most cases, a complaint with no supporting witnesses or evidence was insufficient. Which is the way it should be.

Maybe because we were replying to the things you had said?

Dead Reckoning posted:

If literally the only evidence against a person is a statement that the accuser refuses to swear to the truthfulness of, I think the case should be dropped no matter who you are.
It's fine if someone's discipline history is part of an investigation, but allegations of which a person was cleared shouldn't be used against them. Its just as scummy as employers using those "find anyone's arrest record" sites.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think its reasonable to exclude allegations a person has been cleared of from a new investigation, and he-said she-said cases are always going to be difficult to prove.

It appears that most of these allegations are being dropped because the complainant doesn't follow through, or because there isn't enough evidence to substantiate them, rather than because they're being improperly dismissed.

Those are statements about how we should drop investigations, by you, that I were responding to. If you want to backpedal and declare you disagree with what you earlier said, great. But you honestly should be ashamed to pretend to cal us "gaslighting" because you want to quote our comments out of context and pretend we were responding to a different poster. Arguing in good faith my rear end.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're misinterpreting what I said. In each of those cases, I'm saying that a disciplinary case or complaint should be dropped if the only evidence the investigation comes up with is an unsworn statement. That's why I referred to "cases." If you have a complaint that the accuser refuses to sign and no other witnesses, what else should the investigators do?

Then you're ignoring the original context of all this, which I've quoted at least once already:

quote:

Nearly 60 percent of all the complaints were thrown out without being fully investigated because the alleged victims failed to sign required affidavits. What's more, investigators won't consider an officer's complaint history as part of the investigation, and many of the cases come down to the word of the officer versus the accuser.

The "only evidence the investigation comes up with is an unsworn statement" is because the investigation in 60% of cases didn't actually occur.

Also, it is amazing that you're relying on the "if the officers can't get a sworn statement from a victim investigations are impossible!" as if they aren't loving police investigators as their job.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

This isn't a robbery they're investigating, CSI isn't going to go out to the corner where the complainant was detained and reconstruct the scene. Investigations get dropped all the time due to lack of witnesses. If I go down to the police station and accuse my neighbor of poking me in the chest with his finger and saying he'll kick my rear end, dictate my story, and then refuse to sign it, I guarantee the police won't send a detective around the neighborhood to canvass other residents and look for clues.
Let's stop beating around the bush then. Do you think police officers should be disciplined based solely on un-sworn or unsupported statements, as you previously indicated?

It doesn't surprise me that you equate accusations of police abuse with poking someone with your finger, or that you think police abuse is less important than a property crime.

It is funny (in a smelly kind of way) how you keep hard linking to that comment...it is almost as if the comment clearly doesn't say what you are trying to get it to say.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ooops, remember all those SF cops fired for saying racist and homophobic poo poo? They get their jobs back!

quote:

A San Francisco Superior Court judge has ruled that police officers who sent racist and homophobic text messages can't be fired because the city missed a deadline.

Judge Ernest Goldsmith said that California's Peace Officer Bill of Rights bars San Francisco from taking action against the officers after a one-year statute of limitations. "It is not in the public interest to let police misconduct charges languish," he said, according to a report in the San Francisco Chronicle. “The public has a right to have accusations against police officers be promptly adjudicated.”

The messages came out in court documents as part of a federal corruption investigation in February 2014. However, lawyers for the accused police officers say the San Francisco Police Department first learned about the texts in December 2012. But it wasn't until April 2015 that Police Chief Greg Suhr moved to fire eight of the officers and discipline the other six.

An attorney for the city said yesterday that police officials couldn't act on the messages without jeopardizing the corruption case against former officer Ian Furminger, who was sentenced in February to almost four years in prison. Furminger was found to have taken cash during searches of drug dealers' homes.
The 14 officers were originally suspended without pay, but Goldsmith ruled in May that they must be put on paid leave. Three of the eight officers the city wants to fire have resigned, although one of them, Michael Celis, is seeking to return to duty after learning about the statute of limitations issue.

"The public has a right to have police officers not express themselves in this way and not think in this way—no one is saying differently," said Tony Brass, a lawyer representing Celis. “The important thing is that these officers only texted that kind of material because that’s what their sergeant wanted... That was his code to be in a club that officers had to be in if they were going to be successful."

"The fact that San Francisco is forced to retain police officers that demonstrated explicit racism will have ramifications for the reputation of the department, the fair administration of justice, and the trust of the community SFPD serves," said District Attorney George Gascón.

(http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/12/judge-san-francisco-cant-fire-cops-who-exchanged-racist-and-sexist-text-messages/)

So these officers receive pay for doing nothing and the city can't fire them because police took too long.

edit: some other details from an SF gate article here: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Judge-rules-in-favor-of-S-F-cops-who-wrote-6713191.php

quote:

Goldsmith said Monday that he was upholding the ruling because the Peace Officer Bill of Rights, in particular the statute of limitations, exists to protect not just law enforcement, but the public.
“It is not in the public interest to let police misconduct charges languish,” he said. “The public has a right to have accusations against police officers be promptly adjudicated.”

The idea that somehow its best for the public to punish SFPD by forcing them to employ racist officers is amazingly disconnected from reality.

quote:

City attorneys and police officials said they plan to appeal the decision, which has many upset over what they see as a free pass for bigoted behavior. The messages contained racist and antigay remarks calling African American people “monkeys” and encouraging the killing of “half-breeds.”

“For this judge to say he’s thinking of the interest of the public — is the public expected to go on with their business and pretend nothing ever happened?” said Sgt. Yulanda Williams, president of Officers for Justice, an organization representing African American and other nonwhite officers. “The citizens are still in a situation where they’re questioning whether or not they should embrace law enforcement or fear them. That’s wrong. We need to stop sweeping things under the carpet and deal with it.”
One of the texts referred to Williams as a “n— bitch.”

Even other officers aren't protected from racism from police.

quote:

Officer Rain Daugherty filed a claim against the city in May along with eight unnamed officers identified in the texting, moving what would have been a disciplinary matter overseen by the Police Commission to Superior Court.

I have a feeling that in other workplaces, even in the government, it wouldn't be so easy to stop your boss from making personnel decisions.

quote:

According to the district attorney’s office, 13 cases have been dismissed because of the officers’ involvement.

So even if all you care about is putting the "baddies behind bars" letting racists stay on the force only hurts.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 23, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

The SFPD officers were never charged with any crime. Even in California, "being a little bit really racist" isn't illegal. Their department became aware of the disciplinary issue (text messages) and then sat on it for over two years.

It's worth noting that the only reason that their department had access to their private text messages was because it seized one of their co-workers' phones as part of a criminal investigation, which highlights the rather unique relationship government employees have with their employer.

I'm pretty sure that not letting police chiefs keep a secret multi-year file on every officer and then hitting them with every infraction and complaint they've been accused of at once when they're a little too black or a little to close to a pension or otherwise inconvenient is in the public interest.

You even quote the part where SFPD argued that the corruption trial prevented them from trying to fire the officers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

...and right below it is the line where the judge found that argument to be lacking merit.

Even assuming that's the case, I think it's entirely reasonable to say that, if the government wants to use material found under the auspices of a criminal investigation for unrelated non-criminal disciplinary actions, they should at least do it in a timely manner. If your boss was secretly spying on you for three years, and called you into his office to fire you over an off-color joke you made back in August of 2013 while off the clock, would you feel that was fair and reasonable?

Calling a fellow officer a "friend of the family bitch" and saying we should kill "half-breeds" isn't exactly an off color joke, and communications with your Sgt are still official even if you're off the clock.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A very solid article from the NYT illustrating visually the problems with police ignoring complaints in CPD:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/15/us/chicago-police-officers-rarely-punished-for-civilian-complaints.html

Some quotes from the limited text, but check out the graphic as it helps explain the scale of the issue:

quote:

6,931 Chicago police officers had at least one allegation of misconduct from 2011 to 2015. Allegations can be filed by a resident or another officer. Officer Jason Van Dyke, who is charged with murder for shooting Laquan McDonald 16 times, had four allegations with known outcomes during this time period.
Just 469 officers were penalized at least once. Complaints are investigated by the city’s Independent Police Review Authority or the Police Department. When officers did receive discipline, most were reprimanded or suspended for less than a week.
More than half of the complaints were against white officers, but 36 percent of the disciplined officers were white. Nearly a quarter of the complaints were against black officers, but 41 percent of the disciplined officers were black.
While 62 percent of complaints were filed by blacks, 28 percent of them led to at least one officer being disciplined. In contrast, 20 percent of complaints were filed by whites, but 57 percent of them led to officer discipline.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

5'7" is the average height of 15 year old boys in America. So really, if you think the "looked older" part justifies it, you're basically saying that killing 15 year olds is ok.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lyesh posted:

This really raises the question of what kind of recourse citizens have against police who are "doing their jobs." The authorities in this and other cases are doing a piss-poor job of making anyone see that kind of recourse. Instead, they're treating these incidents as isolated tragedies.

If cops in a case like this aren't even indicted, then it strongly implies that the system is sanctioning their actions. When they kill people in a wide variety of incidents across the country and then hide behind their own rights to avoid legal repercussions, you're going to get members of the targeted community wondering what incentive those police have not to kill them. And wondering how to not be summarily executed with no punishment for their executioner.

Tamir Rice should have filed a sworn statement about his unsubstantiated allegation of police abuse if he wanted an investigation. :colbert:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good thing Rice never pointed a gun at anyone.

It is amazing how quickly people show off how little they know about something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Why do you think that? This is the same McGinty who burned a lot of bridges with the Michael Brelo prosecution earlier this year (the cop who jumped up on the hood of a car to continue firing into two people). His history shows us he seems willing to take on controversial cases against police if he thinks he has a shot.

I don't think he wanted to take this case to trial either, but not because he "didn't want a good shot at conviction." He probably realized early on this wasn't as cut and dry as some still maintain and used the grand jury process to gather and then release information.

So you're claiming that somehow the DA burned bridges by getting a cop who killed two unarmed people aquited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

joeburz posted:

DA didn't want to charge someone and the grand jury did their job not allowing the DA to charge someone. System works folks!

Yeah, the DA recommended charges not be filed and grand juries almost always do what the DA says to do. So real shocker here.

• Locked thread