Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

My little brother is sulking today and told me its because some of the character designs are half-nude little girls? Are they actually doing that crap again?

never heard of that ln

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ImpAtom posted:

The Monado in the first game was a magical super-artifact which contained the sealed soul of a dark god who was actually a scientist from Earth who accidentally destroyed the universe and became the god of a giant robot that was also a country.

"It's an anime girl who transforms into a sword" is like a step down in craziness.

Actually you're a bit off. It's even crazier than that in the first game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

My little brother is sulking today and told me its because some of the character designs are half-nude little girls? Are they actually doing that crap again?

If it's true that just means it ends up getting removed or modified in the Western release like half of Lin's stuff, anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

a cartoon duck posted:

If it's true that just means it ends up getting removed or modified in the Western release like half of Lin's stuff, anyway.

And then we get to listen to the definitely-not-pedophiles complain about censorship.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Half the problem with gently caress around in an open world story is that they didn't really make the player really part of what was going on or really bother to make them a character at all. They don't have to be a chosen one, but I'll take a sort of shulk any day over just some complete blank Avatar.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Half the problem with gently caress around in an open world story is that they didn't really make the player really part of what was going on or really bother to make them a character at all. They don't have to be a chosen one, but I'll take a sort of shulk any day over just some complete blank Avatar.

They also didn't really put anything in the world. No towns, no real set pieces or interesting events, just a bunch of (admittedly really cool) landscapes occasionally dotted with space-RV's. The closest thing to a fleshed out point of interest is the water processing plant with the shower situation. I don't think having the game revolve around a single big city is necessarily a bad thing but they really bungled it.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Huh, back to playing as a teenaged hero. At least in X I was able to make my guy actually look like a capable combat veteran. But yeah I'd rather have a fleshed out main character with a voice, and an actual part in the story so I guess I can live with it.

Having said that, exploring the world was my favorite part of both games, so if they make an interesting world full of poo poo to see and do I'll be happy.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

They also didn't really put anything in the world. No towns, no real set pieces or interesting events, just a bunch of (admittedly really cool) landscapes occasionally dotted with space-RV's. The closest thing to a fleshed out point of interest is the water processing plant with the shower situation. I don't think having the game revolve around a single big city is necessarily a bad thing but they really bungled it.

I remember thinking a bit about that back when I was playing it regularly. You have the Nopon Caravans, but they're largely static, and aside from aforementioned RVs that's pretty much it when it comes to friendlies you can bump into outside New LA.

As for the RVs themselves; a good potion of them were fine where they were, but then you have a number of them sitting out in the open within spitting distance of major Ganglion bases (e.g. basically all of Cauldros) and it starts to get rather silly. Some questlines and/or resource sinks to get actual fortified bases or supply stations set up in hidden-but-still-convenient locations would have been great, even if they'd just serve roughly the same purpose in the end.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Unoriginal One posted:

Some questlines and/or resource sinks to get actual fortified bases or supply stations set up in hidden-but-still-convenient locations would have been great, even if they'd just serve roughly the same purpose in the end.

I was 100% certain this was going to happen until like hour 50.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

So reading up on prerelease stuff I guess the plan was to have more expansion and evolution, but it was scrapped. I was hoping at least to see the bridges in the city completed, but alas.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I have put maybe 10 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles X, and i am really struggling. I loved Xenoblade, but every time i play this game i just want to go back to exploring xenoblade.

* Is there any easy way to change the current time other than going and finding one of those houses? (i have seen like 2)

* How exactly am i supposed to find the certain items side quests want?

* Combat feels really slow, and half the time in battle i feel i am just sitting around waiting for my cooldowns to come off.

* What do the icons on frontiernav mean? I understand the probe icons, but i am talking about why are some hexes red, why are others yellow etc.

* I am level 14 where should i be going to grind and explore?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

UberJumper posted:

I have put maybe 10 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles X, and i am really struggling. I loved Xenoblade, but every time i play this game i just want to go back to exploring xenoblade.

* Is there any easy way to change the current time other than going and finding one of those houses? (i have seen like 2)

* How exactly am i supposed to find the certain items side quests want?

* Combat feels really slow, and half the time in battle i feel i am just sitting around waiting for my cooldowns to come off.

* What do the icons on frontiernav mean? I understand the probe icons, but i am talking about why are some hexes red, why are others yellow etc.

* I am level 14 where should i be going to grind and explore?

Collection side quest items do have some specific areas they'll spawn in, but you shouldn't really go out of your way to try to finish them. Just collect things in your path as you go along unless you really want a certain item reward, in which case look up where they spawn in a guide, and even then you'll probably be running in circles in those specific spots for a while if they're rare items.

The focus in combat is more on your positioning to get the bonuses from your attacks and hitting soul voices when they pop up or triggering other bonuses. Hitting things on cooldown without any sort of combo isn't very effective. Early on it's going to be a bit slower just because you and your party members don't have full bars of skills. The pace picks up a lot when your team has more skills and is calling things out or knocking down enemies etc. more frequently. If you don't like waiting, I would advise against the big beam cannon class.

Hex color is basically average difficulty of enemies in the area. The scale is a bit weird, but I think it was white is even level or below, purple is above your level but doable if you don't get overwhelmed, green is a step above purple, and yellow or above is fucks you up town. I might have green and purple mixed up, but it is in the manual. That being said, there is still a lot of variance within any given hex, even setting aside roaming tyrants.

The main quest should generally sign post you early on, but level 14 is still primordia and I think early noctilum for actual fighting. For just exploring you can go a lot more places as long as you're good at avoiding hostile monsters.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

UberJumper posted:

Any clock icon on the map will be either one of the base camp things, or a red bench, where you can wait to skip time to any point. They're pretty common.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
going full anime on the character design looks way better than the uncanny valley poo poo in x. i dunno what people are so pissy about.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just want the music to be like Xenoblade.

If they can make exploring to the really good soundtrack as fun as it was in XC I don't care about what the character models look like.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inflammatory posted:

going full anime on the character design looks way better than the uncanny valley poo poo in x. i dunno what people are so pissy about.

Both look like poo poo compared to the first game. This ain't a Tales game

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bef posted:

The new Tales looks better than XC2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It has better combat and characters than any XBC game at least

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

bef posted:

i don't think you've looked at the first game recently.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dunban is cool with his arm cloaks and default Alucard getup, Reyn is cool, but Shulk, Sharla, and Seven all have the exact same derpy face.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't care if its anime or whatever. The main character is dressed like a complete moron. With those pants he'd look stupid in any style.

Yes you can change what they wear but if that's what they give the protagonist then I'm not confident that the rest of the gear you get will be any better. It was hard enough to find a pair of boots in XCX that didn't have high heels.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 31, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

chumbler posted:

Collection side quest items do have some specific areas they'll spawn in, but you shouldn't really go out of your way to try to finish them. Just collect things in your path as you go along unless you really want a certain item reward, in which case look up where they spawn in a guide, and even then you'll probably be running in circles in those specific spots for a while if they're rare items.

Don't follow this advice. Sure the collection quests loving suck but they're ALL part of huge quest chains that are probably the most enjoyable parts of the game.
I don't mean the ones you pick up off the boards, just ones that characters in the game give you. Google where to find the items.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't care if its anime or whatever. The main character is dressed like a complete moron. With those pants he'd look stupid in any style.

Yes you can change what they wear but if that's what they give the protagonist then I'm not confident that the rest of the gear you get will be any better. It was hard enough to find a pair of boots in XCX that didn't have high heels.

Did you see like... almost every single outfit in Xenoblade Chronicles?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah there are like two outfits for female characters that aren't completely embarrassing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah there are like two outfits for female characters that aren't completely embarrassing.

Were it up to me theyd be in bikinis the whole time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gets boring eventually you gotta switch it up sometimes.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I can't believe how much the daytime New LA music is annoying the gently caress out of me. I hate how songs with vocals play loudly over cutscenes. I love Sylvalum's theme and most outdoor themes. It's the most inconsistent soundtrack I've ever heard.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Given how inconsistent the score of this game really is, I'm still convinced that this was scored as if it wasn't a video game. Or at the very least was not scored with repeated loops in mind.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's written just like the music he makes for tv shows and movies that's only meant to be played for like 20 seconds at a time, so yeah that's exactly the case.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Another gripe is how it locks you into affinity missions. I get why it's necessary but when the objective is to gather collectibles and my only clue is I need to find X enemy in Y continent it's quite a drag.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
If it's just asking for a normal drop you can pick it up with tickets back at the barracks. If it's a quest-specific drop or a ground collectable, then good luck with that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Some of the gather items also only could be found in certain parts of areas. I think there was a quest or two that required items that only spawned by waterfalls?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

snoremac posted:

I can't believe how much the daytime New LA music is annoying the gently caress out of me. I hate how songs with vocals play loudly over cutscenes. I love Sylvalum's theme and most outdoor themes. It's the most inconsistent soundtrack I've ever heard.

The drums were honestly worse than the vocals for me.

THUMP, THUMP, THU-THUMP THU-THUMP

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I can't hear youuuu
Can't see youuuu

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Uh...
Yeah!
uh.uh.uh.
:shepicide:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Noctilum, meanwhile, never got old for me.

One by ooooooonnnnneeeeee

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Honestly I think I'll always have a soft spot for Uncontrollable, and how cheesy it is. It's just hype as gently caress when it kicks in.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I really wish you could simply swap party members from the menu instead of having to memorize which corner of New LA they're hiding in.

On a positive note, the fallen rings in Oblivia are very pretty. Exploration is so pleasant. There's a real sense of the alien in the world's layout. It's possibly the most gorgeous game world ever and is hyping me up for Zelda.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Evil Fluffy posted:

Uh...
Yeah!
uh.uh.uh.
:shepicide:

I unironically started to enjoy that song. Possibly because the day theme was so bad any reprieve from it was welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Black Balloon posted:

Honestly I think I'll always have a soft spot for Uncontrollable, and how cheesy it is. It's just hype as gently caress when it kicks in.

You'd be dead inside if you didn't get hype.

• Locked thread