Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I've heard it can be annoying because apparently the vocal tracks will be played during cutscenes, which is pretty distracting.

On the other hand it's pretty great that the tyrant battle music is just like, a couple singing about their messed up relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i want to watch someone who complains about the xcx soundtrack play persona 3/4 or twewy.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Here's the problem with the soundtrack: It's repetitive, formulaic, and often doesn't mesh with the environment. In contrast, XB's soundtrack was organic, varied and complimentary to both the environments and situations, proving that poo poo-rear end buttrock with blazing guitars could pump you the gently caress up if used properly, or that a slow melodic piano somehow seems part of a snowy mountain that grows impossible to find cabbage on random ridges.

Sawano's music isn't necessarily bad but it would've been better if he were featured as a guest musician along with those that made tracks for XBC. The Iwata Asks with the musicians gives fantastic insight into how much a labor of love the soundtrack was and how varied each musician is. Sawano has a type and doesn't really deviate outside of it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Alot of people just seem to be very self-conscious about any guitar music with lyrics, as seen with all the awkward justifications for liking Metal Gear Rising: REVENGENACE's incredible soundtrack, as it is too 'buttrock' and not serious enough

Nah, I don't need to make any awkward justifications about Revengeance's soundtrack, it's amazing. XCX's on the other hand is garbage and I might just mute it and listen to the first game's instead

Edit:

Inflammatory posted:

i want to watch someone who complains about the xcx soundtrack play persona 3/4 or twewy.

I didn't mind it so much in Persona 3 and 4, because the singing in those is incomprehensible so I can't tell if it's good or bad, it pretty much just becomes part of the music

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

Allow me to explain why persona isn't anime.

Ahem

People like it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think that's Sawano's fault, he usually provides instrumental tracks to vocal songs if a studio requests it. I would assume Monolith-Soft probably hosed up the audio mixing somewhere and didn't realize how intrusive that can get or just flat out didn't ask him to make instrumental tracks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

brainwave mainframe psycho got a high kick

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would say the music absolutely fits the style the game is going for. A lot of the ambience and walking around tracks do a good job of conveying the desolate, but still immaculate Mira. All of the vocal music is used in battles and skells, it's meant to pump you up and also attempt to build narrative on the life you're fighting. Now a lot of it is kinda weird about the because the lyrics are a gobbled mess in most songs except Black Tar, which is ironically the most hated song.

That being said there are definitely too many vocal tracks and the World's Enemy theme did not need to be the opening theme with lyrics.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The worst thing about the music is how it abruptly cuts out when you're given a dialogue option.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Do I need to play Xenoblade Chronicles through to appreciate this game or can I just jump in when it's released? Are the two games' stories connected in any significant way?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Ninth Layer posted:

Do I need to play Xenoblade Chronicles through to appreciate this game or can I just jump in when it's released? Are the two games' stories connected in any significant way?

Not even a little, go loving nuts

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It does sound more like an anime soundtrack than a videogame one, but it's still pretty drat good in its own right. Alot of people just seem to be very self-conscious about any guitar music with lyrics, as seen with all the awkward justifications for liking Metal Gear Rising: REVENGENACE's incredible soundtrack, as it is too 'buttrock' and not serious enough

like 4 posts after calling me a weirdo for pointing out the mainstream video game establishment doesn't like anime you prove my point

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Jim Sterling at least loves the music. Although he calls it "deliciously cheesy." So, uh, if you're not into high flying melodrama, better crank the music volume knob down.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

WontWontWon't somebody please think about the anime?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Ninth Layer posted:

Nope. Just jump in.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
is there music slider in options for butt rock haters?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Will I be able to buy this on the WiiU internet shop and just download it? Or Do I have to go get a cd?

I Haven't played one of their JRPGS since xenosaga 3, I cant wait.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

hubris.height posted:

is there music slider in options for butt rock haters?

Yeah it's me sliding my fist into your face.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Will I be able to buy this on the WiiU internet shop and just download it?

Yes.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Baal posted:

I would say the music absolutely fits the style the game is going for. A lot of the ambience and walking around tracks do a good job of conveying the desolate, but still immaculate Mira. All of the vocal music is used in battles and skells, it's meant to pump you up and also attempt to build narrative on the life you're fighting. Now a lot of it is kinda weird about the because the lyrics are a gobbled mess in most songs except Black Tar, which is ironically the most hated song.

That being said there are definitely too many vocal tracks and the World's Enemy theme did not need to be the opening theme with lyrics.

These battle themes are loving stupid and make me either want to (not) play Madworld or go back in time 12 years and play DDR, not cut off the head of a huge snake dragon thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwKw6vQo6_U

lol at New LA's night theme, it'd fit right in with TWEWY or Kingdom Hearts or even Persona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyA_BmX8dgs

The songs that don't have lyrics are at the least serviceable but ultimately forgettable. X needed Takahashi to dial in Sawano and bring more people in to bring variety to the instruments like he did with XBC.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Will I be able to buy this on the WiiU internet shop and just download it? Or Do I have to go get a cd?

I Haven't played one of their JRPGS since xenosaga 3, I cant wait.

it's on the e-shop but it takes up a lot of space.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Louisgod posted:

lol at New LA's night theme, it'd fit right in with TWEWY or Kingdom Hearts or even Persona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyA_BmX8dgs

So you're saying it's really good?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Inflammatory posted:

it's on the e-shop but it takes up a lot of space.

I will be like my only game I download for the WiiU, I guess I should check if I have room. I only have like super metroid and link to the past installed on it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Baal posted:

Every track should have lyrics IMO

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd pay for DLC that made Three Minutes Clapping the NLA theme.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Junpei Hyde posted:

WontWontWon't somebody please think about the anime?

I try my best not to, to be honest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Louisgod posted:

These battle themes are loving stupid and make me either want to (not) play Madworld or go back in time 12 years and play DDR, not cut off the head of a huge snake dragon thing

Um, what you want and think does not matter to me or how I view the music, Louisgod.

Junpei Hyde posted:

So you're saying it's really good?

That theme is dope

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

I try my best not to, to be honest.

i don't think this is the game for you, then.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Are the sidequests in this game going to be similar to how they were in XC where you need to do a bunch of them to develop relationships in cities, and the sidequests will consist of killing one type of enemy over and over in hopes that they drop a rare item?

That was really my only gripe about XC, I loved the game otherwise.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The sidequests have more variation, but they are still very much your rigmarole jrpg/mmo side quests. Also the relationship chart is even larger than XB's.

That being said, sidequests autocomplete if you've already done before you've even accepted them so that goes a long way.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 30, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Guys I can't play an RPG videogame because the music isn't exactly my thing.

If you're playing an RPG for the music this might not be the genre for you.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Are the sidequests in this game going to be similar to how they were in XC where you need to do a bunch of them to develop relationships in cities, and the sidequests will consist of killing one type of enemy over and over in hopes that they drop a rare item?

That was really my only gripe about XC, I loved the game otherwise.

I think Fossil Monkey's legacy lives on, judging by the comments written about some of the sidequests

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't believe Xenoblade Chronicles X comes out on Friday. Feels like I've been waiting for it for ages.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad that nothing I give a poo poo about doesn't come out until February because I'm going to need about two months to tackle this loving thing, probably.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Baal posted:

I'm glad that nothing I give a poo poo about doesn't come out until February because I'm going to need about two months to tackle this loving thing, probably.

I want to get Just Cause 3 and this but now I'm forced to choose because I won't have time for both :(

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Baal posted:

Um, what you want and think does not matter to me or how I view the music, Louisgod.

That theme is dope

I just listened to it and holy poo poo that's great, Louisgod the hell's wrong with you?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
so who's ready to have 9 different files for each alternate ending?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

All of the continent exploration themes are really loving good. So just have a run around if you don't like the other stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ONE BY WUU-UUUH-UUUUHN
ONE BY ONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think Fossil Monkey's legacy lives on, judging by the comments written about some of the sidequests

I'm not sure what item it was, but there were items in Bionis' interior and Prison Island that were rare drops that you couldn't trade for, and you had to collect five of them. I'm not against going out and collecting like most MMOs, but please don't leave it up to some really bad RNG.

• Locked thread