Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The fact that effusive praise is coming from Taint Reaper of all people makes me extremely nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

vaguely posted:

just jam a helmet on her, problem solved

Yeah, I feel like the game's wide variety of cranial accessories are going to be a godsend.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saxophone posted:

So can someone give me a quick and (cheap?) rundown for getting some extra space on my wii u for this game? I've seen things that mentioned USB drives, others are hooking up HDD 's, and hell a couple people are hooking up SSDs.

What are my options? What is recommended? Are load times that bad?

Load times are not that bad. People just like to move to all-digital when possible these days, it helps save on space.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What are the odds of a text-size patch being implemented? This poo poo actually hurts and I don't want to eventually get another couple millimeters added to my glasses lenses because of a single video game. Normally it takes several!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think I might have to put this game aside until I get a bigger TV somewhere down the line. My model's perfectly fine and not exactly tiny (I think it's a 28-inch), but even then, it actually hurts to play because of that horrible text size.

Between that and the atrocious sound mixing it's bewildering how such an obvious labor of love could have so many persistent amateur mistakes right off the bat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Not a Children posted:

The scale and depth of this game is amazing, but I cannot stand the intense amount of pop-in in NLA, even with the data packs.

It's worst upon initially entering the city, since it's a seamless load. I find it usually straightens itself out after a little while.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

L is great but "L" is a lazy name.

"Heard you were talkin' poo poo" ______/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

this was exactly what I keep thinking when his name gets brought up. the joke here is you couldn't put many names in the xenoblade death note because no characters are memorable enough to recall lol

Also the problem that they've all got the same face, just with slightly different haircuts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am not at all pleased with how assembling a party works in this game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm so used to just having Elma and Lin in my party 24/7 thanks to story mission requirements that I rarely hear other interactions. But I'm so glad they exist and once I hit 50 and get the MC a better skell I'm going to run around with 3 randos in my party powelevelling and grinding affinities. Do you only get affinity ups when you answer their soul voices in combat? Because if I'm just grinding with a skell there really isn't any time to hear soul voices since I'm 1/2 shotting indigens.

Soul voices, completing missions, and dialogue choices.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

There are a bunch of characters you can recruit through sidequests who are pretty irrelevant to the main storyline

I tried my first affinity quest and tripped and fell into recruiting some pompous bespectacled douche bag. Screw you and the shield you rode in on, buddy.

Xenoblade X's characters are so charmless and shallow, it's a real shame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

How are you supposed to fight a level 90 boss

Unsuccessfully!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Playing this just makes me want to go back to FFXIV so that I can experience an MMO worth a drat.

I really wanted to like this but I think it's struck out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zedprime posted:

I don't think it's controversial to say exploring ends up being its own reward in XCX, which can crash and burn for the way a lot of people like to approach games. But its got such tight design in relation to its traversal mechanics and neat areas and ecosystems that it ended up occupying the same space in my head as stuff like MGSV, GTA4&5, and the cities I have lived in in real life, in a way that let me navigate without a map. I'll take that design over the activity palettes that make up Ubisoft and Bethesda open worlds, but its ultimately right next to fun theme park hallways in relatable enjoyment.

This sums up my issues with XCX. I don't like doing things in games without context, and this one's awful, leaden story doesn't provide enough reason to explore. The vistas are nice, but after you've seen them once you're just grinding for hours and hours without point or purpose.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Xenoblade's plot had incredible stamina if nothing else. It wasn't terribly ambitious content-wise, but it managed to sustain itself for a full 100+ hours without any serious gaps or plot missteps, and with a lively and varied cast to boot.

Boy, I sure do wish its successor was even a tenth as good on that front.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Xenoblade had that whole awful Evil Chancellor/Usurper storyline in High Entia that was just The Worst.

Oh God, yeah, Alcamoth was a screeching halt to the plot that really didn't need to exist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motto posted:

I honestly have no idea what "anime" means as a descriptor or adjective.

When it's used in the pejorative sense it tends to be shorthand for "contains a number of anime tropes or cliches which I, personally, find displeasing." In this case it probably applies to XCX's garbage character designs, leaden attempts at humor, and getting saddled with things like the 14-year old super-genius cliche right off the bat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Literally all of those things are in Xenoblade too though. I guess Shulk is somewhat more subdued in the Teenage Genius catagory but makes up for it with his blazing anime laser sword and magical hidden destiny.

(Okay, XBC has way less lovely character designs too.)

Shulk at least doesn't get the teen-genius thing shoved in our faces too hard, since he's more of an enthusiastic amateur archaeologist and that gets pushed aside by his murder-boner for robots.

The writing and humor was absolutely stronger as well, if only due to the more enthusiastic performances. It's so weird to see 8-4 trying to work their usual magic with the script only for every cutscene to die on the vine anyway because the camera and voice direction is so stiff and wooden.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The voice acting is honestly not much worse I have to say. It's got a lot more generic voice actors but I think there are some good performances considering the material.

In the first fifteen hours of the game, which was all I could stomach of it, someone raised their voice exactly once, and that was Lin - who, incidentally, was the only character whose VA sounded like she gave a poo poo. The rest were all varying flavors of monotone, which was even worse with that endless, thumping soundtrack drowning out all their speech. It's ghastly, dude. It's early PS2-era fare.

I know that neither of us are going to get anywhere on this, because I had to put the game down and you're infamous for replying to literally every single post made in your direction until the other side gets exhausted and gives up, but this is definitely just a case of your opinion differing from everyone else's with no empirical basis behind it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

He gets some good interplay with Dundun and Melia, plus his intro generated a ton of goodwill for him

Also his combat utility and variety of hilarious/adorable armor sets further endeared him to people.

That's somewhere else XCX fails - its cast is almost completely interchangeable in terms of gameplay since everything's now broken down into those MMO-esque classes, which makes your party members even more forgettable and uninteresting.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I should have known well in advance that this game would be the one to reap my taint.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

But... that's what you did in Xenoblade? :psyduck: That is 90% of Xenoblade's gameplay unless you flat-out ignore everything that isn't the main story.

I'm getting the weird feeling that despite all the praise for Xenoblade people really didn't actually like much of it which would explain a lot.

The first game has a plot that provides personal investment and forward momentum for most of your actions. This one doesn't. That's about the long and short of it.

Also the numerous QoL issues probably don't help either, Xenoblade was already pretty bad at that and XCX fixes one problem (sidequest queues) and somehow makes everything else even worse

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

So what this is boiling down to is that people really did only enjoy Xenoblade for the plot.

I mean that sounds dismissive but it explains a lot. When Xenoblade came out people wouldn't stop shutting up about how it was a revolution in JRPG design and generally I assumed people actually were fond of the gameplay elements and design elements. It feels like it's completely reversed and now Xenoblade was lovely all along but people put up with it because they liked the characters and plot.

Lots of people need a reason to do stuff in games, man. I was beating this same drum when FFXIII came out. It doesn't matter how fun or solid the gameplay is, if you're just spending hours and hours hitting buttons and watching bars go up without context or purpose then many people feel a yawning pit in their stomach as the fleeting minutes of their lives trickle away. Functional stories provide context. XCX doesn't have one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't true though. There are plenty of games that people play just for their mechanics without need of anything more than a barebones storyline, or even games where people say the storyline gets in the way of the core gameplay. A good story can absolutely improve a game but if you're unable to enjoy the gameplay without the story backing it up then I think that says poor things about the gameplay.

Yeah, there are lots of games for people who don't care about that. MMO's, roguelikes, the entire Monster Hunter franchise. But there are also many that are benefited by their stories, and that is why they are enjoyed by people who need context for their actions. Xenoblade was one of the latter. XCX is one of the former - actually, it's even worse, since so much of the story and writing is actively detrimental to the experience. The disparity is unpleasant to many people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

And I'd understand that if people were not complaining about doing the exact same things they were doing in Xenoblade. Like "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay and I just stuck with it for the plot" makes sense to me. "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay but the plot made collecting 9 blue crystals fun" doesn't

Tough luck, because that's what people are saying and it's a valid point of view. You may just want to move on!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're called visual novels. They're not considered videogames.

Shush, Taint Reaper, your scythe finds no purchase on me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm still playing the game. If you hate it so much you dropped it why don't you move on instead?

Like what the gently caress, why are you being constantly a dick about this? You don't like the game but you want to talk about how terrible it is with ridiculous hyperbole and then you keep making weird snarky comments at me.

I'm trying to find a way to keep you from making snide comments at everyone with the temerity to state something they did not like about this game, and I'm doing so with varying levels of politeness because it gets a little stressful trying to nibble down my arguments into sufficiently tiny and compact bits to penetrate your skull.

Since we're not getting anywhere, like I keep asking, you'd be better off not trying to get the last word for a change and just disengaging.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Got it, yeah, I agree with that. They're long because they drag due to nothing of substance being said or done. The first game's cinematography in general was also really well done whereas in this game it seems non-existent. When cinematography IS done, it's really great and smooth, especially with the cool blurring effect they have with this game and fast moving objects.

I'm not sure if dialogue is skippable for many of the voiced scenes, either, which doesn't help much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure Motto's talking about Xenoblade Chronicle's Heart-to-Hearts, which are a much bigger pain in the rear end to get. Almost all of them requiring specific combinations between party members, not just Shulk and them, that start at 3 Hearts.

There are Heart to Hearts in Xenoblade Chronicles that can only be obtained in NG+, and you would need the insanity of a manatee to play Xenoblade Chronicles' NG+.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

Pretty sure this isn't true

Several Heart to Hearts in the game's first zone can only be obtained with Shulk and pre-Seven Fiora, if I remember right. You need to carry over affection from your first NG to snag them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Taear posted:

It's far easier to raise affinity in the first game than in this one.

Do you have any god damned idea how many kittens and cabbages I had to trade back and forth in X:C

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

.TakaM posted:

Samus wonders if she'll ever find her helmet...

has anyone seen a helmet that looks at all similar to Samus's?

Is that an ent with giant googly eyes on the right

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The percussion for NLA's night theme sounds enough like a hard drive failure to make me nervous.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That's sort of the point of the demiurge. Godly power corrupted by petty mortal desires.

The last act of the game was serviceable but its themes sort of hijacked the character writing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'd be happy if XB2 has a cast of actual characters voiced by people who don't sound like they're on a demerol drip.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Riki has a full suite of incredibly potent DoT techniques, several location-based physical attack skills, HP and DEF stats that make Reyn kick rocks while muttering under his breath, a full-party heal, and a random full-party buff that includes literal "go forth and take no damage" invincibility among its slots.

His only significantly disadvantage is that he's terrible at generating aggro. He doesn't stand out much, you see. But that's only because...

riki sneaky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

snoremac posted:

I can't believe how much the daytime New LA music is annoying the gently caress out of me. I hate how songs with vocals play loudly over cutscenes. I love Sylvalum's theme and most outdoor themes. It's the most inconsistent soundtrack I've ever heard.

The drums were honestly worse than the vocals for me.

THUMP, THUMP, THU-THUMP THU-THUMP

• Locked thread