Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Read a review that was angry about the music and saying you might as well hit the mute button (Gamespot) and then I took a listen of the OST on youtube and its actually godlike? Am I going crazy or are these people really hosed up.

It seems very divisive and largely depending on whether or not you like cheesy j-pop lyrics

Jim Sterling called it the best OST of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The Taint Reaper posted:

there's no mindfuckery, eating people, or clone bullshit.

Well that's disappointing

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Just got my first skell

Is it just me or is skell combat kinda...simple, at least compared to ground combat? Far as I can tell there's no secondary cooldowns, no combos, arts are determined entirely by your weapons so your class doesn't seem to factor in beyond skills, etc. Feels weird how separate it seems from the ground combat the game has built up in the past 20 odd hours

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The Taint Reaper posted:

You missed the entire point of the RPG genre. RPGs are about the fighting mechanics.

I like RPGs because they tend to be the genre that best mixes fighting and gameplay mechanics with things like a compelling story, immersive setting, interesting characters, etc. XCX kind of lacks those things, and it's hard to stay interested in the combat alone without having any of that other stuff around to keep me engaged.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The Taint Reaper posted:

How could you say it lacks an immersive setting when the world is just loaded with explorable areas?

This isn't like daggerfall where poo poo is randomly generated from a bunch of presets, all the areas have been meticulously planned and have secret passages, hidden unique subzones, and a ton of stuff to seek out in them. Xenoblade's world is probably one of the most immersive settings for an open world games this side of Morrowind.

Hell it certainly beat the pants off of Skyrim's world.

Being able to explore things doesn't make it immersive, things like logical consistency, atmosphere, sound design, compelling backstory and characters, etc. do that. While Mira looks visually interesting I just don't find it that immersive to run around this world filled with MMO mobs collecting floating blue diamonds and completing a checklist of hunting and gathering quests

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Taear posted:

The first game has an immersive world. This one has some amazing visuals - like the gigantic dinosaurs and such - but it never actually comes alive.

Also combat against things that aren't real people is always boring and I play RPGs entirely because of the story and exploration. XCX scratches the second part of this but not the first.
I'm fine to carry on to see more aliens though.

Xenoblade had an interesting story and characters to drive things, with the plot integrating into the gameplay in novel ways such as the Mondao's story powers translating directly into Shulk's combat abilities, every character having unique movesets and abilities that related to who they were as a person, party affinity being represented by shared skills, etc. X lacks a lot of that and instead leans heavily upon exploration and sidequests, the latter of which was by far the weakest part of the previous game.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The Taint Reaper posted:

Except the object of a game is to not tell a story. Games are all about mechanics and the story is supposed to be more of an afterthought.

like dman do you think people play Settlers of Catan or Dungeons and Dragons for the gripping world lore? gently caress no it's basic as hell to provide a leaping point for everything else.

I disagree, I think that telling stores is the primary purpose of games. Whether it be a developer written story or one formed by the player's own unique experiences, it's all about creating and telling stories.

But at this point it seems like you're just trying to argue about the different ways in which people play and enjoy games, which is something that you're never going to convince people about.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

ImpAtom posted:

So what this is boiling down to is that people really did only enjoy Xenoblade for the plot and setting.

I mean that sounds dismissive but it explains a lot. When Xenoblade came out people wouldn't stop shutting up about how it was a revolution in JRPG design and generally I assumed people actually were fond of the gameplay elements and design elements. It feels like it's completely reversed and now Xenoblade was lovely all along but people put up with it because they liked the characters and plot. Which is perfectly fine and there's nothing wrong with it, but I genuinely assumed people were into Xenoblade for its core gameplay and design.

... what? The entire point of D&D is the mechanics. If you only cared about stories you wouldn't be playing a game with randomized dice rolls and character optimization and tons of source books dedicated to more complex character building and monster classes. There are in fact a lot of people who do that.

I think you're downplaying the way in which people's enjoyment of one aspect of a game affect the others. Yes, I liked the story and setting and Xenoblade, but I also enjoyed the combat and exploration. And my enjoyment of the former affected my enjoyment of the latter because they worked together and complimented one another well. The plot and interesting setting contextualized the gameplay mechanics in a way that drove me to play on and find continual enjoyment. Elements of games don't exist in a vacuum from one another. I liked the story of Xenoblade but I wouldn't have enjoyed a novel that was just that story so much, and similarly while I liked the gameplay I wouldn't enjoy that devoid of the other things surrounding it.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The Taint Reaper posted:

Year 2016 people don't understand videogames.

Time to fill this thread with discarded copies of Sonic:The Dark Brotherhood and then seal it off for all eternity.

I'm sorry if people liking things for different reasons than you like them upsets you

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't true though. There are plenty of games that people play just for their mechanics without need of anything more than a barebones storyline, or even games where people say the storyline gets in the way of the core gameplay. A good story can absolutely improve a game but if you're unable to enjoy the gameplay without the story backing it up then I think that says poor things about the gameplay. And that is fine. I've enjoyed games with character and stories I've liked but lackluster or unimpressive gameplay.

Games are more than the sum of their parts. It's entirely possible that there is a game who's story I might not enjoy enough to carry bad gameplay, or that has gameplay I like but not enough to enjoy when lacking the context of a solid story or world. But add together that story and that gameplay and it could create a much greater experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

The Taint Reaper posted:

This is what they called 999 and DR too....

You know what those really are? Visual Novels.....

Nobody calls either of those games RPGs what are you talking about

• Locked thread