Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Dolls was a stupid name. I'm not saying I'm completely sold on Skells, though I might be now with the Skeleton Crew, but it baffles me that people are upset that they changed the name at all.

People are autistic and think that any localization that does more than just robotically translating text is somewhere between censorship and ruining the artistic vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

"Well, it's called a skell. But in the untranslated Japanese version of the game, it's referred to with the Japanese word for 'doll'. So I call them dolls. *sighs* It's not just me, it's actually a common term in giant mech anime."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Motto posted:

I've never cared about this dumb pissing match, but they use the English "Doll" in the JP version.

Wait so in the original Japanese, they use a word from another language? Wouldn't it then not be true to the original to use an English word in the English translation?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress NoE? The UK launch trailer is basically FILLED with giant spoilers. Including a massive end-game reveal. If you don't want to spoil the plot for yourself, stay the hell away from it.

I'll stay away from this thread for a while then since the last time spoilers came up in the other thread people started discussing them for a page until someone quoted and forgot to re-tag.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My hard drive isn't gonna be here until next week, if I start the game without the packs and then download them later that's fine right? I would assume the answer is yes but since this is Nintendo I'd like to make sure they didn't do something stupid to interfere with save files.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If I delete Wii VC games, does it keep their saves? I think I can temporarily make enough room on my Wii U since my hard drive won't arrive this weekend but I'll need to remove Metroid and Punch out in the meantime.

victrix posted:

What's the installed size showing on your disc management page for the disc hd install stuff?

When I went to download all four packs, it showed/required 15-16 gb, but after it finished, I went and looked and its showing 10gb after install.

Did it fail to download something, or is that the actual installed size of the four disc packs?

You did it right, it requires extra space temporarily during installation.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Saxophone posted:

So can someone give me a quick and (cheap?) rundown for getting some extra space on my wii u for this game? I've seen things that mentioned USB drives, others are hooking up HDD 's, and hell a couple people are hooking up SSDs.

What are my options? What is recommended? Are load times that bad? I have a 32gig wii u, and play everything else off of disc so theoretically I should have room for the game and the packs but I don't know.

Load times for this game are... Below-average to bad, depending on your preference. They're significantly helped by the download packs, which you can see in YouTube comparison videos.

People recommend hooking up a small hdd (lookup a Passport), a 1tb will run you about $50 or so, with a Y cable usb connector, this'll give you all the space you ever need. I'm following the advice on this blog and trying an SSD (buy it off newegg instead of Amazon) because the total came to about $10 more. It's bottlenecked by USB but according to some comparison videos it's still faster than an hdd. Much less space but since I buy everything on disc I only need it for stuff like this, dlc, and various virtual console/eshop stuff and it's more than sufficient. And it only uses one USB port instead of two.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a good breakdown of how the different classes play? The most I've been able to find are brief descriptions like in the OP.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zombie Defiler posted:

You guys are aware you don't have to pick-and-stick to a class right?

Max out a class, move on to the next one, you'll still be able to use the maxed out class weapons and arts.
Max out all classes and switch back to drifter, custom it out to be whatever you want. (Drifter has 5 skill sockets, final forms of specialized classes have 4 skill sockets and a status buff)

I'm going to go Full Metal Jaguar first to get a specific dual-gun art that will probably be in all my builds ever.

I didn't know that, cool. Would you realistically be able to max out all classes before finishing the game?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Auron posted:

Really? How long have you played it? Every review says it starts strong but then gets aggravating and the story begins to drop off.

Tbh I've only heard the opposite?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What is a ray gun and how is it different from rifles/pistols? Also the gatling gun class has a shield as its melee weapon, do you actually get to hit dudes with it or is it just defensive?

ImpAtom posted:

It seems to depend on "Do I care about the story" vs "do I care about the gameplay."

I think knowing beforehand that the story Is lame and that you don't get your skell forever will help me enjoy this a lot.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Are there distinct advantages to playing with the Wii U Gamepad over say, the Wii U Pro? I love my Wii U Pro controller - especially it's more than 3 hour battery life.

You are unable to do several essential functions without the pad. It's not stuff you continuously use so you could probably play with the controller and keep the gamepad plugged in next to you so you can use it as needed.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Well if you were wondering how popular this game was, I stopped by Best Buy to pick this up at 7:30 pm and couldn't find it on the shelves. They looked it up and saw they had 20 in stock so the guy went into the "game closest" and dug around for five minutes and found them. They forgot to put them on the shelves and no one had noticed.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Anyone have knowledge from the JP release and know if there's missable stuff like there was in the Shulk game?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks infinity gaia, not gonna quote ya so I don't accidentally read the text.

I'm reading the manual. I saw people asking earlier about camera speed, it says you can adjust it under "Game Settings".

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Man, this game is DENSE. I'm still stuck in tutorial stages but I don't mind because there are a lot of mechanics and systems to take in.

Can you change the classes of your party members? Kinda annoyed that the two party members that seem most important are redundant with the two classes I'm most interested in trying.

axeil posted:

Oh and what does everyone think of the music? Xenoblade Chronicles had one of the best soundtracks I've heard in years. Does it hold up? I dunno any of those other soundtracks that this guy has done.

And my last question: is the villain as scene-chewingly hilarious as Metal Face was?

I really like the music so far. The lyrics people were annoyed by in YouTubes don't stand out nearly as much in the actual game, with sound effects and characters yelling over it.

And I'm still early (chapter two) but there doesn't seem to be a villain yet.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 5, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So when a hex has the "treasure" icon... Does that mean there's one treasure there, or many, or what? For hexes with affinity or normal quest icons, does that mean a quest can be picked up there, or that eventually you'll find a quest that sends you there?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Also is there any way to "click on" or otherwise highlight the stats on the various menu screens, or do you just have to open up the manual until you have each resistance, buff, and debuff icon memorized?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Here's a tip I found because the "lock-on to appendage" command seemed unreliable. Your basic lock on will autotarget whichever part is closest to you. If you push the right analog stick in, you lock the part you're currently targeting so you'll always aim for it.

I had initially thought pushing the stick would just automatically aim at a breakable part.

xedo posted:

The icon on a hex indicates the type of task you have to do in that area to increase your survey percentage for the continent. So, if there's a hex with a treasure icon, you need to find a specific field treasure and use it. These will probably be in a hard to get area, or at the peak of a big landmark, etc. Get the treasure, accomplish the quest, or kill the local tyrant and your survey percentage goes up.

And setting a data probe is what reveals the icons in the 6 hexes around it on the segment map, if anybody missed that. And raises your survey percentage of course.

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This is definitely a weird game. It has great respect for your time in some ways, like how you don't have to stop to harvest collectibles, can sell stuff right from the field, and how fluid combat is. But it also has massive disrespect for your time with how everything is repeated to you three or four different times. I'm pretty sure in the first hour three different characters re-told the opening cutscene to me, complete with flashbacks to the video I just watched.

I dunno how I feel about the collectable mechanic. On the one hand, it's really great to not have to stop and harvest every drat thing. On the other hand, the current mechanic is almost too abstract. I'm not even sure if there are bushes or small doodads that the icons are hovering over, or if I'm just running through shiny crystals and being awarded random goodies. I do know I got a gold sardine from a pile of rocks.

Looper posted:

the basic track for Primordia is way better than any of the music y'all keep bringing up

It's really good and I'm looking forward to hearing the tracks in the other zones in 15-20 hours.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You can view what weapon attributes like "melee up I" do at the weapon company in armory alley if you preview them in the upgrade screen. I'm not sure if you can just view this information otherwise though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What classes are y'all, I'm doing the dual gun thing and want to try out the sniper rifle branch when I get there. Its pretty cool. Kinda curious how the shield class and the fenced/galactic knight class feel.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for the input... Might end up going galactic knight, I'm still undecided. Really glad you can switch on the fly!

Motto posted:

A combo is using arts in succession. So an effect like "double damage in a melee combo" means performing that art after a melee art.

Is there a grace period, like can you autoattack a bit in between arts, or is there any indication you combo'd successfully?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Maybe a dumb question but do auras affect the whole party or just yourself? I can't actually find an answer for this.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The actual plot beats of the story are fine but it's terribly written and delivered thus far. Characters standing around expositing to each other extremely slowly and using five lines of dialogue when one would do.

The game itself is really good though. I've spent like twelve hours just exploring Primordia getting a handle on the combat system, doing random quests and filling in probes. Not sure if I'm gonna stick with the sniper class, it seems kinda dull although it's hard to tell how it'll feel later because I'm down to three Arts due to how class promotions work.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What gives items the lucky star that awards BP when you register them in the collectipedia, it seems to have no relation to their rarity.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I dunno how anyone does those collectible quests on purpose. I just explore and do more targeted quests and pick up stuff along the way.... Anything more would drive me crazy.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there any way to view what exactly gear attributes like "draw surge II" do? Or is there an online guide that does? If you go to the weapon manufacturers to upgrade the gear attributes you can see exactly that info, but only if the item is upgradable.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Inflammatory posted:

the only other thing i know of is to go to the augment creation menu and find it. draw surge makes you more likely to do your weapon drawing soul voice.

Eh, that's better than what I was doing. Thanks!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MohShuvuu posted:

Partisan Eagle was really awful to play. Getting Overwhelm when you hit Astral Crusader is a game changer, though.

Glad to hear it gets better, I'm finding it pretty dull and keep thinking about switching to winged viper because I found the base Commando class a lot of fun. But I think sniper/javelin is cooler and isn't redundant with a critical party member so I want to make it work.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I thought the L+A thing was funny the first time I saw it in a typical miiverse way. Then I found out that I'm going to basically play the entire game with a continuous stream of bad L+A jokes in the corner of my screen.

Utnayan posted:

You need to read the manual. Start at Page 41. And learn all the detail surrounding Overdrive.

https://cdn03.nintendo-europe.com/m...oniclesX_EN.pdf

If anyone has not read the manual yet, do so.

I read the manual section on overdrive and still don't get it, I figure I'll just wait to unlock it and then understand it an hour or two later like everything else in this game. From the description it sounds like you just pop it once your arts are all off cooldown and then spam them to make the numbers go up, but don't repeat the same colors back to back or the numbers won't go up. You get combat bonuses based on how high the numbers go. Is that right?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish there was a storage locker I could throw all this armor that I only keep for cosmetic purposes into, because the inventory is a big mess. I'm fine vendoring weapons though, right? There's no scrap mechanic?

Is your crit chance/power listed anywhere? Also do your damage stats take into account cooldowns and other stuff, or just raw damage?

MohShuvuu posted:

I spent most of yesterday as a partisan Eagle and wished that someone told me to grind it to 10 ASAP because Astral Crusader is literally 100x better due to Overwhelm.

Sweet, looking forward to it!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Calaveron posted:

So a lot of times if I speak to a dude and they have a name and portrait chances are they can join my party right?

Everyone has a name and a portrait including the manager of the local coffee shop, so I don't think so.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The thread title has to be Xenoblade Chronicles X: You should read my Skell fanfiction.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's really weird to me that the description for Partisan Eagle/Astral Crusader are that they have a focus on ranged attacks yet the majority of my damage dealing arts are melee....

You get two, although the other one is only notable for toppling humanoids, which makes it annoyingly restricted.

I just got Intercept, the stun shot debuff, and it... Seems underwhelming. I'm not sure if the effect is just being resisted or if stun only lasts for a second.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

robot roll call posted:

I have a few questions about this game:

1. I have Xenoblade on 3DS. I've put a few hours into it and I like it. should I finish it or skip to this one? Will Xenoblade be terrible if I come back to it after this one?

2. How much does this game scratch the rambling exploration itch? For reference I played Guild Wars 2 but only to wander around at my own pace and explore every zone.

1. Hard to say, Xenoblade 3DS is very plot and character heavy and this one is extremely barebones, basically just a coat of paint over the awesome world and mechanics.

2. If you liked exploring in Guild Wars 2 you will loving love this.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

zedprime posted:

I think that's the long and short of it, its kind of crazy the stuff in the battle options isn't an out of battle toggle. I don't know if its Elma being able to print TP as a full metal jaguar, but it might be alright to still slot auras, and possibly debuffs, that use TP because I suspect what gets attack TP using arts abused is answering soul voices.

This game could really use Dragon Age Origins' conditional orders menu, that'd make the combat system pretty much perfect.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's worth getting a Wii U, and it's worth getting this game. If you're only going to buy one game for Wii U it's probably not worth it but you're a drat fool if that's the case.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does "debuff res down" (from Astral Crusader's sidewinder and Psy Corrupter's subterfuge) really lower every resistance on the target? The manual says "decrease resistance to all types of attacks". I take that to mean lower electric res, lower physical res, etc. If so that's really good but I'm skeptical since the name makes it sound more like it lowers resistances to debuffs like stun and topple.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think after I master Astral Crusader I might go for a range-heavy Full Metal Jaguar build with the javelin supporting the pistols. I still love the mobility/animations of dual guns but the dual sword abilities seem kind of assy as support for a range damage build. Javelin has some stuff that seems like it'd synergize well.

• Locked thread