Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=554XiLSZZeA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Nuts and Gum posted:

lmao just show the god drat gameplay jesus christ

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

The CS comparisons do this game a huge disservice and they won't really impede on each others player base at all past the initial month or so, I think.

Yeah it's probably most similar to SWAT 4 but that game is 10 years old now. Even then Siege is considerably faster and has a lot fancier gadgets + building defenses/destruction.

It's like if a modern SWAT 4 and CoD Black Ops had a baby. It only superficially resembles CS.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Robo Reagan posted:

is the game still a buggy piece of poo poo because if not it's going to own

Matchmaking is quite a bit better but not perfect, hit detection varies from fine to horrible. If they up the tick rate on the servers it should be great. We'll see how much better or worse the release build is!

I've never crashed during this beta and I think I crashed once (and not during a match) during the previous betas. Haven't noticed any bugs during gameplay in the latest beta at all.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Keys from Green Man Gaming have been sent out, preloading now :toot:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

DeathSandwich posted:

Did Ubisoft ever change their stupid lovely uplay to allow you to change your display name in multiplayer? That alone is the deciding factor in if I want to buy it for PC or PS4.

Yeah, just go to the uplay website, open your account page, and click the little gear in the top right, then click "Change your username".

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Oh for those that were wondering there IS a custom game option now, you have to be level 5 so I can't try it out yet but that should only take a few matches.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

shalcar posted:

I'm playing on PC and the game is forcing me to some sort of controller scheme where I have no mouse and all the prompts are for controller buttons when I don't even have a controller plugged in. I can't even get into the options menu because it's mapped to some trigger button with no way to navigate there.

Is this normal? Can I force it to mouse and keyboard somehow or is this just another Ubisoft thing?

That's not normal. Mouse works fine for everyone else. Also the prompts are for keyboard buttons.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
What's the word on the netcode/tick rate now? Any better? I did all the Situations quick but I have to write a paper so I haven't had the chance to do any PvP matches.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
This game is a loving blast with goons.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I know there isn't a "best " operate because they're all unique little snowflakes but is there a worst? So far everyone I've used seems to have some use on every map but are there any guys are just flat out inferior ( as in outclassed by another operator, etc)?

Doc is pretty situational. He's really good if Rook is on the team though because his extra armor makes people get downed instead of killed WAY more often.

It's really easy to kill Twitch and Bandit's devices too, but they're still pretty useful.

Mute and Thermite are almost always taken though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
IQ is really good for destroying traps and things like Jaeger's trophy systems which will zap Thatcher's grenades. If you put a silencer on her pistol you can shoot through walls and barricades and the defenders will rarely notice what's happening. AFAIK it also detects people's laser sights. If you look at a bomb or the bioweapon through a wall she'll yell out that it's there which is really useful if you didn't find it with the drones. Also her LMG owns.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Evolve was frankly kind of stressful to play. This is tense but enjoyable. The only frustrating part is the technical issues which hopefully get fixed soon.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Two more people need to get in mumble!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Trumodur_ can kill 10 people per match but refuses to pick up extra armor.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Carecat posted:

Anyone got a kill with Sledge's sledge yet?

I've never seen it done in person but you can definitely do it.

~55 seconds in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxMMY58VOy0

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it's not wrong to say that but there are tons of people who DO put a lot of stock into reviews and if the game gets panned then it'll definitely hurt the size of the playerbase.

And at one point (maybe still?) some companies were basing developer pay bonuses on metacritic scores and such IIRC.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Keket posted:

They finally acknowledged that the netcode/hit detection is hosed and are addressing the inaccurate killcams according to a dev post on the official forums.

Link for the lazy?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Great Beer posted:

Yes I did. They were terrible then too. The glass on the shield can be penetrated by smgs, making them entirely useless against a player that can aim. I die constantly to head shots from people straight in front of me when using them. Also blitz and fuzes shields don't seem cover their entire torso because I take shoulder hits often, and the kill cam shows me getting shot in the shield near the upper corners. Shields are terrible.

You must have played a different beta than literally everyone else.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Doc is probably the only really lackluster operator but if Rook is on the team then he becomes pretty good.

And he kills people just as well as anyone else either way.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
RIP server

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I think the game has a lot of staying power provided they fix the hit detection problems. Matchmaking has been pretty good lately, needs a little work but it's acceptable.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

mobby_6kl posted:

So how does the game actually play? My favorite R6 was probably Raven Shield so the Vegas stuff was fun enough but not quite what I was looking for. A proper tactilol game would be really great though.

Imagine if SWAT 4 and CoD Black Ops had a baby.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Deployable shields are a LOT better if you use them as cover in a relatively long range engagement, like across a big room or a long hallway. They'll hide your entire body when you duck and only expose a small part of it when you come up to shoot while your opponents will probably be much more exposed. They're pretty bad if you use them somewhere like a corner near a door because the enemy can quickly close the distance while you're cowering behind the shield and go around the side or top and shoot you, plus it's a lot easier to hit someone in the head when they're <10 feet away. Also yes they make a fantastic door barrier if you have Bandit put one of his batteries behind one. He actually had the option to take one in the first beta but they changed it to a Nitro Cell now.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Keshik posted:

So I just played a game against a guy that spent the whole match calling our team niggers, and saying he will rape us.

Why isn't there an option to vote kick from the opposing team?

There is, hold tab and use the arrow keys to select them.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Pretty sure me and my friends saw a guy using one of those weird spinny aimbots earlier. You'd see his killcam after he shot you and his view would be flipping all over the place at extremely high speed. Also he knew I was coming down the hall once while I was slow walking. Yeehaw.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Liberatore posted:

My kill cams look like that whenever I play on American servers, likely a side effect of the higher latency.

It looks like I'm snapping to my targets constantly. Even when I was actually quickly scanning a room, it looks like my aim snapped from one side of the room to the other.

As I've been playing mostly ranked, the accusations of hacking have dropped significantly, but I still get them once every ~4 games as I inevitably end up with the killcam at the end of a round. My stats (>4 win/loss, >2 kdr) certainly don't help.

No you're misunderstanding. Your kill cams definitely do not look like this. Imagine if you were watching someone flip their mouse back and forth across the pad at super speed in all 4 directions simultaneously. It's definitely possible it was some sort of weird glitch but it happened on every one of his killcams.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

BadLlama posted:

Are multiplayer games hosted on one of the participants computers or are they on uplay servers? T hunt seems to be hosted from the party leaders comp.

They're hosted on the uplay servers. If they're not I've never seen it change hosts when someone dropped.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
With bandit put wire in the middle of a door, put a battery down on the inner side, and barricade the door(or ideally have castle do it). So they get shocked if they walk up to the door to breach or try to drive a drone under it. You can also work as a sneakier mute and put shock wire down around the entrances to kill drones. People generally don't avoid the wire like they do a jammer so they'll usually just run right into it. Then if you have time you can pick up the batteries and move them to the walls.

You can also work as a sneakier but less effective Kapkan by putting down shock wire in the middle of side rooms that enemies are likely to run through. You can get pretty good success and sometimes some kills late game by doing this because people will blunder into the middle of the wire while running away from a fight. Plus they're WAY less likely to be destroyed by random explosions or gunfire that'll occur around the objective.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Bandit had a deployable shield in the beta but they replaced it with a Nitro Cell. Nitro Cells are nice but the shield synergized with him way better, I wish they'd change it back.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The DLC textures are almost 9GB!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The video memory meter in the graphics menu goes up to juuust under 4GB with ultra textures on.

If you missed it there was actually a controversy over the GTX970 because while it technically has 4GB of video RAM the last 512mb of it is far slower than the other 3.5GB. This means that the 970 takes a huge hit to performance if it has to use over 3.5GB of memory. Thanks Nvidia!

You might be able to turn down enough other settings to get it down to less than 3.5GB with ultra textures but I doubt it's worth having the nice textures if all your other settings are set to minimum.

Ultra textures will probably work ok with any other card with 4GB RAM, if you've got more than 4GB you'll be fine.

Gunder posted:

Has this patch upped tick rates on PC servers? I'd be interested in your impressions on the change. I have the PS4 version, and will only get any changes to tick rates after they've been shown to be "worth it" on PC.

I just played a couple matches with goons and it does seem a little better, hard to tell yet though. Could be placebo.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 16, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Also you can pick them up and move them (and most other deployables) so it's possible to run into one with a drone and then find the same one protecting a wall from Thermite a little bit later.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Need more goons in mumble group 2 plz

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Yeah they're Uplay keys (it's honestly not THAT bad, it's unintrusive at least). I'll probably put 2-4 up later depending on how my friends respond.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
How are the free weekend people liking it? I don't think I've seen a single one comment on the game yet.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

dominoeffect posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on which operators to go after first?

There's really no bad ones but Mute, Castle, Thermite, and Ash are pretty much always welcome.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
From the Ubisoft support page for the season pass:

*Safari Bundle releases on the 12th of January 2016
*2 of the 8 new Operators will be released on the 12th of January 2016

So I guess everyone else gets the new guys on the 19th?

https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/FAQ/9/2559/season-pass-faq/kA030000000ti9gCAA

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 21, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Tenasscity posted:

Getting shot through a wall by Glaz when he had no idea I was there.

There are definitely hackers in this game but the vast majority of the time stuff like this happens it's because they got lucky and/or they got tipped off by someone on a drone/camera or you stepping on glass or something.

My favorite kill was when I was playing IQ and shot at a Kapkan trap through a barricaded window with my pistol and hit a guy in the face.

Also play with friends/goons or you're gonna have a bad time. There are almost always people in the CTS mumble and if there aren't just wait around and someone usually comes in in 10-20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
You must learn to curve the bullet, ja?

• Locked thread