Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Phone posted:

Check da other thread.

It is a truck
You think I actually look at pages that aren't the subscribed threads list in usercp?
Hell no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Anyone here into metal detecting? As some of you know I collect coins like a nerd. Been watching a lot of metal detecting videos over the past couple weeks and it looks like a fun hobby to keep me out if the house and occupied.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jonathan posted:

2015 highlights from a corner in Chilliwack, BC

https://youtu.be/dP7k08Ytdq4

Seems like a nice place. The cops have a good presence, and lots of people regularly checking to make sure he's locked his car, and gate.

Not sure what's up with the people backing down the road to that intersection though, that was a bit odd.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone here into metal detecting? As some of you know I collect coins like a nerd. Been watching a lot of metal detecting videos over the past couple weeks and it looks like a fun hobby to keep me out if the house and occupied.

Just start biking. Problems solved: no more fatty, quicker piss cleansing, out of the house, good feeling of speed without motor involvement.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

meatpimp posted:

Just start biking. Problems solved: no more fatty, quicker piss cleansing, out of the house, good feeling of speed without motor involvement.

Most cyclists I know smoke a lot of weed :v:

Speaking of bikes, though. Anyone have opinions on Bikes Direct bikes?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The quality isn't bad, it's just not great. There's a lot of one off stuff that is super loving obnoxious like the worlds shittiest pedals, seat post, and saddle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

jonathan posted:

Lol that's worse than Florida, I thought Canada was the utopia of free health care and everyone respecting each others property, it's all a lie!

iwentdoodie posted:

Not worth the risk, I've gotten two bikes from them, one was a pile of poo poo and the other had issues that I had to pay to get fixed that a bike shop would have taken care of. Just go to your local bike shop.

Basically when it comes to bikes, 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 30, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

iwentdoodie posted:

Depends on what you're looking for / looking to do. You get a lot for your money, they mostly use name-brand components. Their frames are okay... clunky, but solid. I bought one for my boy last year and it was a LOT of bike for the money.

I've seen many BD frames on craigslist because people buy them to strip the parts off for a better frame build-up. That's not the best way to do it, right now buying parts from the UK is cheaper for those of us in the US, but that shows how good of a deal BD is.

Phone posted:

The quality isn't bad, it's just not great. There's a lot of one off stuff that is super loving obnoxious like the worlds shittiest pedals, seat post, and saddle.

Those are also the most often replaced parts to personalize the fit of a new bike, so maybe BD recognizes that and just puts crap on knowing it's going to get tossed anyway?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

jonathan posted:

Holy poo poo, what the gently caress is wrong with this town

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

meatpimp posted:

Depends on what you're looking for / looking to do. You get a lot for your money, they mostly use name-brand components. Their frames are okay... clunky, but solid. I bought one for my boy last year and it was a LOT of bike for the money.

I've seen many BD frames on craigslist because people buy them to strip the parts off for a better frame build-up. That's not the best way to do it, right now buying parts from the UK is cheaper for those of us in the US, but that shows how good of a deal BD is.

Those are also the most often replaced parts to personalize the fit of a new bike, so maybe BD recognizes that and just puts crap on knowing it's going to get tossed anyway?

Just looking to start without spending a grand or more on a bike. And my local CL is fixies and $2500+ bikes.

LBS I've been to (two so far) also have zero bikes under $1800 :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What kind of bike are you looking to get? (Hardtail MTB is the correct answer)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The problem with BD is that the bikes are often assembled poorly. If you know how to assemble a bike, you'll be fine.
If the headset is poorly installed, you'll either need to LBS it or do it ghetto style (or spend a lot of money for a headset press).
Everything else is fairly "easy" if you follow the instructions on park tool's website.
I strongly recommend reinstalling the bottom bracket with lots of grease (unless it is a pressfit, then god help you and see headsets).

Also, you need to go to better LBSes. Now is the time to buy 2015 bikes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

What kind of bike are you looking to get? (Hardtail MTB is the correct answer)

Just a road bike, nothing fancy.

And yeah, I went in expecting to look at discounted 2015 bikes...but nope. My area has a lot of rich fucks in it, and they seemingly cater only to them. Even the one that carried Specialized didn't have their lower end models, though they said they could order one if needed. But looking at the BD bikes, unless they're absolute poo poo, it seems like a better deal all around.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah you can figure out fit and sizing on a bike they have and then order something less expensive. An aluminum bike with 105 shifters would be a good thing to shoot for but the newer tiagra works well.

They may even be able to find an older bike from a few years ago, which is how I got my cx bike last year. It had been in the box in the warehouse for 2 years and they gave it to me for half price.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jamal posted:

Yeah you can figure out fit and sizing on a bike they have and then order something less expensive. An aluminum bike with 105 shifters would be a good thing to shoot for but the newer tiagra works well.

They may even be able to find an older bike from a few years ago, which is how I got my cx bike last year. It had been in the box in the warehouse for 2 years and they gave it to me for half price.

Yeah, figure out sizing, then go hog wild. Aluminum bike / carbon fork / 105 group (even the 10 speed 105 is fine), and you're going to get 70%+ of a bike costing $3k+.

I know my sizing with Cannondale and got a less-than-a-year-old 2014 EVO (full carbon, 105 group) on eBay for under $1400. That still leaves you with enough budget to change fit parts (handlebars/seat/pedals) to what works for you.

Keep hounding craigslist, also post in the biking thread with your location, some of the guys there will comb your local craigslist for things you may have missed. Also, eBay can be a good way to go. I got my EVO there, I got a CAADX cx bike and a Softride, all arrived mostly fine with a couple negotiation points that weren't disclosed that I discovered after unboxing, but I'm a picky motherfucker (surprise to all reading this, I know).

That's not discounting BD -- carbon frame, Ultegra groupset, $1400 delivered is one hell of a deal -- http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/sprint-cf-pro-xv.htm
You could ride that for a couple years, then transfer the Ultegra group over to another frame/wheelset. As long as you don't mind riding a Motorbacon. (I bought a 1-year-old Motobecane fixed/single speed with Gatorbacks and SKS fenders for $100... sold the Gatorbacks for $60... best $40 bike I'll ever buy. It is a bit heavy, but BD bikes are really silly good values in some niches.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My GF got me a mountain bike for christmas (I've kinda missed having one ever since mine got stolen in 2008, and she loves biking and has a patched together bicycle collection that rivals my patched together jeep collection, so next summer should be fun) and I really need to see if I can find her a set of 26" wheels on craigslist one of these days.

e: GOOD loving CHRIST people who post bike poo poo on CL are just like people who post car poo poo on CL. "bike wheels and tires for sale" x83420984 gee thanks how about some dimensions, tire type, ANY INFO AT ALL? :argh:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

My GF got me a mountain bike for christmas (I've kinda missed having one ever since mine got stolen in 2008, and she loves biking and has a patched together bicycle collection that rivals my patched together jeep collection, so next summer should be fun) and I really need to see if I can find her a set of 26" wheels on craigslist one of these days.

e: GOOD loving CHRIST people who post bike poo poo on CL are just like people who post car poo poo on CL. "bike wheels and tires for sale" x83420984 gee thanks how about some dimensions, tire type, ANY INFO AT ALL? :argh:
To make it worse they don't ever reply to your questions or take the ad down when they've sold it to one of their friends.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

After I failed the cup test today I freaked out and didn't go take the re-test of the diluted one today. The recruiter just called and sounded pissed off that he won't be making money off me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

After I failed the cup test today I freaked out and didn't go take the re-test of the diluted one today. The recruiter just called and sounded pissed off that he won't be making money off me.

In one of life's weird coincidences, I'm agreeing with Rhyno -- your roommates are putting weed in your food.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

right now buying parts from the UK is cheaper for those of us in the US

Is Chain Reaction Cycles really that cheap??

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I don't think they would do that.

The recruiter just called and found a testing place open until 8PM. Just downed a Monster, a 32oz Gatorade w/ a pack of Certo and two multi-vitamins. Gonna piss a couple times and drink a Muscle Milk in the way there. Will let ya know in a few days what happens.

It just so happens that my 1 clean friend, who happens to be in town for a few days is at the movies with his family right now, so I have no choice. :suicide:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

88h88 posted:

Is Chain Reaction Cycles really that cheap??

Ribble/Merlin/ProBikeKit

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know someone just talked up cannondale... stay the gently caress away from press-fit bottom brackets. Or get a bike with one and immediately put a praxis works collet conversion in one. Press fit BB's are the biggest bullshit con to sell more frames from idiots installing them wrong and ovaling the bottom bracket. BB30/BB86/BBright/whatever specialized has that's a direct copy of bb30. They'll creak like a motherfucker until you break down and buy another bike from the aural trauma of riding 3000 miles with your right pedal squeaking at you every stroke (ask me how I know :shepface:)

The only thing bikes direct bikes are good for is scoring a cheap groupset and putting it on an actual good frame, then recycling whatever poo poo it came on.

e: SAC, I seriously will ship you my piss, just make it worth my while (haven't smoked herb in 3 years, don't do drugs) Just keep a job longer than it takes Jay Z to change clothes.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 31, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I think I've managed to ovalise the BB area on my road bike with a loving screw in BB as the thing makes so much noise. I hate it. Awful.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The recruiter just called and found a testing place open until 8PM. Just downed a Monster, a 32oz Gatorade w/ a pack of Certo and two multi-vitamins. Gonna piss a couple times and drink a Muscle Milk in the way there. Will let ya know in a few days what happens.

It just so happens that my 1 clean friend, who happens to be in town for a few days is at the movies with his family right now, so I have no choice. :suicide:

What happens if your piss comes back too diluted again?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
On the other hand I have 3 bikes with pfbbs and the biggest issue is that sometimes I have to take the cranks off and clean out grime.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BloodBag posted:

e: SAC, I seriously will ship you my piss, just make it worth my while (haven't smoked herb in 3 years, don't do drugs) Just keep a job longer than it takes Jay Z to change clothes.

January Chat Thread: I Will Ship You My Piss

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

What happens if your piss comes back too diluted again?

Then I am hosed. Knowing my dumb rear end it will. I didn't drink nearly as much liquid as last time tho so I am holding out out.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Super Aggro Crag posted:

For fucks sake man just go to a headshop and get Spectrum or whatever it's called. Used it twice, it works and comes with a little heater pad to keep it at temp.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Quite A Tool posted:

For fucks sake man just go to a headshop and get Spectrum or whatever it's called. Used it twice, it works and comes with a little heater pad to keep it at temp.
For god drat serious. Spend $40-$50, get a free job. Good deal.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

leica posted:

January Chat Thread: I Will Ship You My Piss

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

88h88 posted:

I think I've managed to ovalise the BB area on my road bike with a loving screw in BB as the thing makes so much noise. I hate it. Awful.

How? You probably just hosed up the BB.
You should pull and regrease the threads every few years though.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
hail satan gently caress everything

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Because a lot of poo poo that I've read that has been posted in the past year or two state that labs test for fake piss and I am super paranoid about failing for that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somebody just send him some piss already, drat. Overnight that poo poo!..... Umm, I mean piss.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MY KINGDOM FOR SOME CLEAN PISS

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJURxzOqCs

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

PEE PEE

I got someone to come over tomorrow and I am gonna freeze that poo poo until I need it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

nm posted:

How? You probably just hosed up the BB.
You should pull and regrease the threads every few years though.

poo poo flexy German aluminium frame. It's more likely the BB but I've had MTB BBs take far more abuse, awful conditions and neglect than this. Annoying really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

If anything my roommates are tryna make me kill myself by watching Big Bang Theory in the living room.

• Locked thread