Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Dr. Fetus posted:

Incidentally, the Wii version changed the "plot" from DK beating things up for the heck of it to, animals stole his bananas, get them back. Clearly historical revisionism in action.

The revisionism was far more blatant than that. Apparently the Wii version's plot is that the 4 kongs (Dread, Karate, Ninja, and next world's) had stolen the bananas, not from DK, but from the white furred monkeys and our Glorious Leader was helping the little monkey's out. I never played the Wii version, but I think that there was also the implication that the four evil kongs were brainwashed by Cactus/Ghastly King

Sounds like a bunch of Propaganda if you ask me :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
If it contains seeds, it is a fruit.

Spookyelectric posted:

Aw man, if you guys have never had lychee fruits or star fruits, then man are you missing out! They are delicious!

Star fruit is delicious? They taste like water to me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FPZero posted:

The beat requirement for this chapter is really tough

*gets 1200 beats on the second stage alone*

Also, the drums on anvil of krom really work well with the concept of this game.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Cartheon posted:

Star fruit is delicious? They taste like water to me.

The ones I've had tasted like some delicious juicy cross between lemon and banana when they are ripe and yellow. Not as sweet as a banana or as sour as a lemon, but a nice combo of those flavors. You can also eat them when they're unripe and green, and apparently they taste tangier like green apples, but I've never been able to get any that weren't either in the pale yellow or bright yellow stages.

Starfruit that start to brown are overripe and they lose flavor. Most American supermarkets get them in this stage, which is a shame. Maybe that's why yours taste watery?

Or are they refrigerated? They can get super watery when they're cold and they lose flavor from refrigeration. Tropical fruit and all of that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Razor Ridge :siren:

This is a long one, but the first 10 minutes are all the first level. Quawks continues to prove that he is the best animal buddy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is the point of the game where it starts to get to be kinda bullshit. I had a very hard time with Barbos as a kid, mainly because of its second phase. Quawks is annoying to use for an entire level. But I do like Kong-Fused Cliffs and Pothole Panic, and I kinda wish Kachuka were in more than just one level.

The next world, however, is where DKC3 veers into "serious bullshit" territory.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, add me to the "gently caress Barbos" crowd. Phase 2 is such a headache because it combines timing a shot you have limited control over with loving HitboxesTM. Missile hits that look like they're on target will clip a tiny part of Barbos' invincible shell and bounce off, making the fight longer than it needs to be.

Also, the end of the video shows yet another problem with Bramble Bear: when his drat flower finally spawns, it easily blends in with the background making it hard to see.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i really like ropey rumpus and pothole panic but yeah this is where the levels really start getting more annoying than fun. i kinda like barbos though!...for the first two phases. the third one is some squirt-level laziness

and yeah hiding bonus barrels behind parry is some next level garbage

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Jumping on the Barbos hate :bandwagon:. Putting a new boss in his place was something I loved the GBA version for.

On another note, I'll put myself in a minority opinion by saying I really like the next world. I find its levels fun. Yes, even the lightning level.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That world is definitely my least favorite overall. I like Pothole Panic and the requisite dark level, but the rest is utter garbage.

The next world is my favorite. The gimmicks are actually fun and implemented well. It's like they finally found their footing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Weeble posted:

On another note, I'll put myself in a minority opinion by saying I really like the next world. I find its levels fun. Yes, even the lightning level.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The next world is my favorite. The gimmicks are actually fun and implemented well. It's like they finally found their footing.
You are both masochists. I don't think I need to talk about how Lightning Lookout is a steaming pile of cow dung, but Rare's infatuation with reversing controls rears its head at the end... and that's not even the worst example of them doing this, not by a longshot. And that's not even getting into the boss.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 24, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lightning Lookout is actually my favorite level in the game. It keeps you on your toes and because you have to go fast, it doesn't wear out it's welcome.

I will agree with you on the boss though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Pacifica :siren:

Taking a break from the SNES game to check out the GBA exclusive world. Spoilers: It's bad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Good lord, they made the windy section of Animal Antics an entire underwater level on a system that has a smaller screen than the SNES version? That's a trainwreck just from my description. At least it's not The Very Loooooooong Cave from the GBA Yoshi's Island. That SNES-to-GBA port never should have happened.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The music in Cliffside Blast (the name of which completely defies every single other level in the DKC series besides Surf's Up and that's driving me nuts) also seems to be more fun than the others on the SNES. Ultimately these games are silly, and they know it, but the SNES soundtrack takes a much more serious tone for whatever reason.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You were supposed to surf on that steel barrel at the end and roll through all the enemies. Hence the level name. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Except even that doesn't work to my knowledge because the green Buzzes in the GBA version stop the momentum of the steel barrel if the barrel defeats one.

fake edit: I take it all back, just went to test it and rolling on the steel barrel at full speed will take you through that entire enemy gauntlet without getting hurt. That's actually pretty neat.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Is it wrong of me to have actually enjoyed the aesthetic of that lakeside stage just because it was a nighttime level? Because everything else was garbage and shouldn't exist.

Also, what do you actually get for beating that world? Just another bonus coin for killing Barbos?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

Is it wrong of me to have actually enjoyed the aesthetic of that lakeside stage just because it was a nighttime level? Because everything else was garbage and shouldn't exist.

Also, what do you actually get for beating that world? Just another bonus coin for killing Barbos?

If you're after 100% completion, you're forced to get everything in that world on top of the ported stuff. They upped the number of collectibles needed to 100% the game in the GBA version.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FPZero is correct. The non-rope locked Kabooms do not exist on the original SNES version. They are added for the GBA, along with a couple of things reused as "new" enemies, like the yellow beetles that are only used to defeat Belcha seen at the end of Surf's Up. But...yeah, every video I've seen of Pacifica makes me wonder why did Rare even bother making the world in the first. Like, was it supposed to be in the SNES originally and it got axed for some reason? Because if it was, I completely understand why it got cut because it just is plain bad. Ripcurl Reef is just agonizing to look at, and feels like a giant middle finger to the player. The rest of the world comes off as bland or unnecessarily tedious because of either gimmicks/level design or GBA limits. Pacifica is like you guys said in the video: poorly executed ideas that really fall flat.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
that gba harmonica is rad as heck tho

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The music in Cliffside Blast (the name of which completely defies every single other level in the DKC series besides Surf's Up and that's driving me nuts) also seems to be more fun than the others on the SNES. Ultimately these games are silly, and they know it, but the SNES soundtrack takes a much more serious tone for whatever reason.

The SNES seems to be going for a more atmospheric tone. Whether or not that works is up to you, but I do have to say, the GBA version of Treetop Tumble really should have been a different song. It's really happy and upbeat which isn't really a problem, except it plays in all the tree levels, including Ripsaw Rage. Which is hilariously unfitting.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Let's make a new world! Let's start it off... with a sewer level??? :psyduck:

Just... just why?!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Kaos Kore :siren:

:siren: Kaos/Credits :siren:

And that's it for the main game. We may or may not do the Lost World and the secret ending together, it'll depend on how well I do at getting everything in it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lightning Lookout is probably one of my most despised levels in this game. The frequency of the lightning strikes is the biggest offender, to the point it feels almost as if the game expects you to genuinely rush through the level and get all of the secrets in one go. Couple that with the classic series annoyance of loving HitboxesTM, and you have a level that is not fun to play.

Also, I can totally see Cranky going on a drive-by shitposting spree. It just feels so in character for him.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love that K Rool is basically a cosplayer who gets REALLY into character.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love that K Rool is basically a cosplayer who gets REALLY into character.

That's the best explanation for him yet. I always figured he easily became excited at ideas, much like Cartman on South Park, and forces all his underlings to go along. "This week we're pirates! Get into pirate gear!"

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
DKC3's final boss music was always one of my favorite tracks in the game. I know the actual fight is kind of a lot of not doing a huge amount, but the music does give it a really good "poo poo's going down now" vibe.

Also, the GBA version of the jungle theme is another loving Jungle Japes remix just like the water theme is Aquatic Ambience. What the gently caress, David Wise?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the k rool fight sucks!!

every level with the jungle music owns!!

thank you for reading my hot takes

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Looper posted:

the k rool fight sucks!!

every level with the jungle music owns!!

thank you for reading my hot takes

here's a hot take: your hot takes aren't that hot!!! :yum:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Either the K. Rool fight isn't as hard as I remembered it or you just made it look easy. Lightning Lookout, though, looks just as bullshit as I remembered it being. And boy oh boy I can't wait for the Lost World. It's going to be a glorious mess.

The conveyor ropes and the ghost barrels are two of the few gimmicks that come back in Donkey Kong Land 3, and neither of them are confined to one level. That's a game worth playing at another time, for another LP.

Are Benny and Bjorn Bear supposed to be an ABBA reference? I wouldn't be surprised if Rare put one of those in.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 5, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

Either the K. Rool fight isn't as hard as I remembered it or you just made it look easy. Lightning Lookout, though, looks just as bullshit as I remembered it being. And boy oh boy I can't wait for the Lost World. It's going to be a glorious mess.

The conveyor ropes and the ghost barrels are two of the few gimmicks that come back in Donkey Kong Land 3, and neither of them are confined to one level. That's a game worth playing at another time, for another LP.

Nah, the K. Rool fight's in 3 is one of those ones that definitely gets easier as you get older, since it's a lot more about maneuvering around him to line up your hit than it is just dodging and waiting out his patterns like it was in the first two games. He would've made it look even easier if he'd been using Dixie.

And screw that, I say someone does the DK Land games for the thread. Who's with me?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Derek Barona posted:

Nah, the K. Rool fight's in 3 is one of those ones that definitely gets easier as you get older, since it's a lot more about maneuvering around him to line up your hit than it is just dodging and waiting out his patterns like it was in the first two games. He would've made it look even easier if he'd been using Dixie.

Yeah, for better or worse K. Rool 3 lets you control the pace of the fight and it's about executing the actual motions rather than having to dance around his assorted attacks. This means the fight is significantly easier, but it's also a better fight in general because you don't have any gotchas like K. Rool 2's final hit where he teleports a whole bunch (including right on top of you). It's just "this is what you have to do, execute whenever you're ready."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Derek Barona posted:

DKC3's final boss music was always one of my favorite tracks in the game. I know the actual fight is kind of a lot of not doing a huge amount, but the music does give it a really good "poo poo's going down now" vibe.

Also, the GBA version of the jungle theme is another loving Jungle Japes remix just like the water theme is Aquatic Ambience. What the gently caress, David Wise?

There are a few bars of the DK Island Swing towards the end, but I wouldn't call it another remix. For the most part, it sounds like an original piece to me that David Wise reused as Zipline Shrine in TF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fIsahUaEmU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

ChaosArgate posted:

There are a few bars of the DK Island Swing towards the end, but I wouldn't call it another remix. For the most part, it sounds like an original piece to me that David Wise reused as Zipline Shrine in TF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fIsahUaEmU

It's less obvious than the water music is, but it sounds a lot like he used a lot of Japes bits creating that song.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

And screw that, I say someone does the DK Land games for the thread. Who's with me?
It certainly looks easier than K. Rool in DKC2, which had a bunch of patterns to memorize. Here it's just three. I don't remember much of the rematch because the Lost World leaves your mind in a blur, but there is at least one dick move there.

Three of the levels in the Lost World are such a high degree of bullshit that the other two are forgettable by comparison. I completely forgot what the second level was until I looked it up on the DKC Wiki.

There's a good DKL1 LP in the archives done by Simply Simon. DKL2 isn't really worth doing because it follows the map of DKC2, and it shares most of the level names even though they're not the same thing. DKL3 is worth playing through, though. I never 100%'d it but perhaps someone else can.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

There's a good DKL1 LP in the archives done by Simply Simon. DKL2 isn't really worth doing because it follows the map of DKC2, and it shares most of the level names even though they're not the same thing. DKL3 is worth playing through, though. I never 100%'d it but perhaps someone else can.

I remember getting to the very end of the main stuff in Land 3 and not getting to go into the Lost World because I was missing one single drat DK Coin.

...Since we're talking about the whole idea of someone doing DKL3, though, it would probably be a good idea to ask the guy running the thread. Artix, did you have plans for DKL3 or would otherwise be opposed if someone were to offer to do an LP of it for the thread, or would that be okay? Cause I would totally just frickin' do a run through it if I can get it recorded.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 6, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We recorded the Lost World and the second to last Jungle Beat video this evening. I'm not gonna tell you that you can't do an LP of DKL3 or whatever, but between these last couple videos and the archiving process, I don't expect the thread to hang around for more than a month or so.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh yeah, this will be ending soon, won't it? drat, it was such a fun ride too. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's only a brief history, after all

• Locked thread