Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I propose Artix and the gang all get together and film/act in a recreation of the Great Ape Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Who's gonna play Funky getting shot down by Klump and losing his tail?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Derek Barona posted:

Who's gonna play Funky getting shot down by Klump and losing his tail?

Me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'll be playing the part of "Klump's Tail".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Now featuring outtakes!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
2 things 1) this is a really good LP of a personal favourite of mine, so thank you FPZero and 2) I can't wait to see you take on the next kingdom, since even with my lesser skills I ended up with well over a thousand beats on one of the levels.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Krematoa :siren:

:siren: Knautilus/Secret Ending :siren:

Thanks for watching! That's the end of DKC3, so once FP finishes up with Jungle Beat we're outta here.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yep, Rocket Rush looks just as horrible as I remembered it as a kid. You can only screw up on the ride up twice, and the rocket is ridiculously slow in moving right to left, so you'll fail a lot. It's more bullshit than the Parry barrel, and it makes DKCR's rocket barrel levels look like a breeze.

Tyrant Twin Tussle wasn't so bad for me, but Swoopy Salvo is the DKC version of bullet hell. gently caress Krematoa.

Edit: Oh yeah and gently caress that boss fight too. This whole world is why I don't remember DKC3 very fondly.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 13, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Y-Hat posted:

Yep, Rocket Rush looks just as horrible as I remembered it as a kid. You can only screw up on the ride up twice, and the rocket is ridiculously slow in moving right to left, so you'll fail a lot. It's more bullshit than the Parry barrel, and it makes DKCR's rocket barrel levels look like a breeze.

Tyrant Twin Tussle wasn't so bad for me, but Swoopy Salvo is the DKC version of bullet hell. gently caress Krematoa.

Edit: Oh yeah and gently caress that boss fight too. This whole world is why I don't remember DKC3 very fondly.

As a person that didn't play the original dkc's as a kid, I couldn't help but spend the whole level thinking about how much better it would have been with gear getaway.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

While Gear Getaway is definitely a better song overall, I think the track that plays in Rocket Rush does a good job of providing a good sense of tension and haste as you play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgaA_SocCw

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Barrel Switches in Kriss Cross Cliffs are supposed to be necessary, but the barrels themselves are bugged. If there's an enemy in their way, but it's encountered off-screen, it'll go right through.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'd take the Rocket Rush GBA version's trade-off of having no continue barrel in exchange for fuel barrels any day of the week. That seems like it counteracts the twin pillars of bullshit of reversed controls and a rocket barrel that moves slowly from side to side. The music for the level is great, by the way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Stampede Sprint is probably my most despised level in the game alongside Lightning Lookout. It really is a collection of some of DKC3's worst offenders, from having to bring Parry all the way to the end of the level to the "you only get one chance at this" bullshit. And then there's Rocket Rush, which creates a feeling of "Get through this fast" but then punishes you for not being careful and precise with your actions. Both are just bad levels to play through. Knautilus' problems boil down to a series staple: loving HitboxesTM. I honestly am not sure if K. Rool's hitbox shrunk from Kaos Kore, or the steel barrel's hitbox is much smaller than a normal barrel's hitbox. It really is strange how two different fights with the same boss change so much thanks to hitbox shenanigans.

The rest of Krematoa is okay overall. Kriss Cross Cliffs is a fun gimmick and probably the best level of the world. Tyrant Twin Tussle is meh, boiling down to a game of patience in dealing with Kuff and Klout. Swoopy Salvo is basically a previous gimmick (Bazza's Blockade in Cotton-Top Cove) reused with only slight changes that don't do much to make it stand out.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i love the cogs, they're so totally pointless. oh you have to beat every level before you can reveal the boss...just like in every world in every game in this series. something like that may have made sense in dkc2 where you could play the lost world levels out of order, but you can't here, so yeah sure more collectables why not

also stampede sprint is great and a rad idea for an autoscroller (let's not talk about parry), and rocket rush is fine since it's not too long. tyrant twin tussle and swoopy salvo both suck and the final boss is awful. the big thing i don't like about k rool in this game is that it never feels like you're actually fighting him; he doesn't take any active actions against you, he just flies around. it's even worse here in krematoa since he's off in the background half the time just waiting for you to throw things at his backpack while you're waiting for the chance

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Looper posted:

i love the cogs, they're so totally pointless. oh you have to beat every level before you can reveal the boss...just like in every world in every game in this series. something like that may have made sense in dkc2 where you could play the lost world levels out of order, but you can't here, so yeah sure more collectables why not
I've always felt that the cogs were tied to something larger and more developed in some initial draft of the game, but got reduced to what we see in the final product for whatever reasons. Hell, I think Boomer only gives an (easily missed if you're mashing) tiny blurb pointing out the cog machine in the first place. So you'd finish a Krematoa level, suddenly get a cog and then answer what the weird box in the save screen is for, all while still being confused.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Has your opinion on any of the games in the series gone up/down during this LP Artix?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Bellmaker posted:

Has your opinion on any of the games in the series gone up/down during this LP Artix?

Not really? If anything DKC2 might have gone down a bit, but that's mostly because I have a lot less nostalgia for that game. DKC3 is what it is and I doubt I'll ever be able to really evaluate it fairly, but you can definitely see a big drop-off in how familiar I am with the game somewhere around Razor Ridge, which is coincidentally where most people would agree that it starts to really go downhill.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't know why they decided to make it so you beat K. Rool in a fight twice, but then afterward need to go get help from some bird to actually defeat him for good. Compare that to DKC2's real ending, where you hit him so hard it blows up his whole island.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also i know this thread isn't over over but thank you Artix for the tropical freeze and dkc trilogy lps, and same to ChaosArgate for suffering through returns and FPzero for the pro bongo'ing in progress

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
If K. Rool was a king in the first game, a pirate in the second, and a scientist in the third, what is he in DK64? Or was this around the time K. Rool stopped being the major villain? (Not gonna lie, I love the idea behind those viking arctic baddies in Tropical Freeze).

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure K. Rool was a king again in 64. Also a boxer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

They have pictures of Kaptain K. Rool in the museum area of Creepy Castle.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And that's it for Jungle Beat! Hope you all enjoyed it.

I have one more video I want to try and put up but it'll take a day or two to prepare. Should be up by Sunday.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Fun Fact: In the Japanese version Cactus King and Ghastly King have the exact same name (and are presumably the same being): Final Kong

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for the history lesson on Kong war crimes, guys.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Thanks for this thread, it was a great ride (even if you missed some stuff in DKC2 :argh:)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ah gently caress, Donkey Kong wants to establish a caliphate over the DK Isles. He has the blessing of Allah the Moon God, after all.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

This is it. The final war crime. I'm being followed. They're after me.

This is all the footage I have left.

Donkey Kong 64 is a nightmare. Released in 1999, developed by Rare for Nintendo, it was DK's first big foray into the 3D world. It's well known for being plagued with framerate issues, poor level design, and many many glitches... Well, that, and the DK Rap. It was no surprise when no-one else in the group wanted to actually record or play this game besides me, with a trumped up sense of nostalgia... And honestly, it still isn't that bad. It's more the tipping point of an entire genre of games that no longer really exists. The grand collectathons of the N64. There's bananas, coins, fairies, banana medals, golden bananas, crowns, blueprints... Just way too many things to collect in levels that are really too big. It's a mediocre game at best, and a bit frustrating at its worst. But it remains as probably the worst main-line DK game, and probably the worst of Rare's N64 titles.

Join myself, FPzero, and poorlywritten as we drag you through the remnants of an LP that should have never been. I present to the court: DK and his friends cheating at boxing.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 26, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, just watching that footage made me disoriented. The camera for DK64 just wants to go all over the place and not hold still. I am glad I passed over DK64 back in the day, because I doubt I'd be able to sit through all of those janky and jittery camera angles.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I MISSED THE OPPORTUNITY TO CALL IT THE INTERKONGTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING I'M SO MAD AT MYSELF.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's such a bad game. It was made right between Banjo Kazooie and Tooie but it feels way rougher than both, with none of the creativity or excellent level design those games had. What the hell happened? Did an entirely different team within Rare work on it? It's the polar opposite of the BK games.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The weird thing about DK64 was that it was quite well-received by video game critics at the time. To be fair, the worlds were far bigger than in any other console game you could play in 1999, so it really did feel like something new back then. But as video game technology progressed, the big thing people remembered about the game was that it was collectathon hell. Oh, also Beaver Bother. Dazzling Addar's DK64 LP is one of my all-time favorite LPs because of the gradual process of their nostalgia giving way to the reality that it's so poorly designed.

I've heard people gripe about Banjo-Tooie as well, but it's designed quite well, and there are far fewer things to collect.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The only problem with Tooie is that they ran out of moves to give you so a lot of the solo moves are boring (all of Banjo's backpack ones for instance). And as a result of this, the last couple of levels feel like utter busywork just switching between characters over and over.

Cloud Cuckoo Land is SUCH a tedious level ugh.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That took you how long?! :psyduck:

For the record, DK64 is the only DK game I've ever played. :shepface: I think you guys covered it pretty well with just that video.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sometimes, I sit by myself and wonder...I wonder just how much the guy who sings the DK rap hates himself.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Sometimes, I sit by myself and wonder...I wonder just how much the guy who sings the DK rap hates himself.

That was part of the music staff, including Grant Kirkhope himself. I hear he's doing okay these days.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

the DK rap is a national treasure and is the only objectively great thing about that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

Artix posted:

That was part of the music staff, including Grant Kirkhope himself. I hear he's doing okay these days.

He worked on the soundtrack for Civilization: Beyond Earth, and assumedly getting paid good cash for the soundtrack of the upcoming Yooka-Laylee.

Also, whatever pains he had from DK64's music were relieved in Banjo Tooie and Perfect Dark

• Locked thread