Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll just leave this there. You're probably gonna need it...

May this banner live on forever, in this LP and all LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Kongs were just defending themselves!

Heeeeere come the Kong Apologists. Next thing you know you're gonna say "Bad Rats wasn't that bad!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
w/r/t Donkey Kong being a fascistic war criminal, note that it's called "Donkey Kong Country" and not some variant of the "Republic of Kong". After his rise to power, he named his loving country after himself!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Built on the back of Kremling labourers? Maybe King K Rool was looking to liberate his subjects? He attacked Kong's food source in hopes that it would slow him down long enough to give him time to save all the poor Kremlings stashed in the island factories.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

darealkooky posted:

Donkey Kong is a title. It's DK Lore 101 that the guy that threw barrels at mario is now known as cranky kong.

So what you're saying is that Cranky, our old Glorious Leader, began all the war crimes and that his son has just been perpetuating them in his father's name. Got it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always loved the alliterative, pun, and rhyming level names, it shows a level of polish that a lot of games don't show, past or present. My favorite is Skidda Row.

They were generally alright with Rare, but Retro's naming efforts are causing me to groan in exasperation. To play off what you said, they show a level of doggerel that a lot of games don't show, past or present.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

AradoBalanga posted:

I keep forgetting how calm and relaxing the underwater music is for DKC1. Like, you just want to kick back and listen to the track instead of dodging pearl shooting clams or sharks.

It definitely stands out against the more intense DKC2 track and the dark foreboding track from DKC3.

Man, if you wanna talk about Aquatic Ambiance, hit me the gently caress up. Love that track.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I have remixes for them all.

All sorts of remixes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Y-Hat posted:

One thing I don't like about Retro's version of Donkey Kong Country is that they made Cranky much less of a dick in DKC Returns.

This has come up in recording. You are not alone.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Considering he's a playable character in Tropical Freeze, I don't think he's getting a speaking role at all. :v: Unless he was talking about Returns 1 in which he was kind of a dick, but not nearly on the level as the old Country games.

Cranky smiles too much in Tropical Freeze. He needs to scowl more.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Agent Interrobang posted:

He got onto medical bananas for his glaucoma and achy joints, it made him loosen up a lot.

I'll accept that Cranky is high as gently caress in Tropical Freeze.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Doesn't fit when you're playing single-player and Cranky spends the entirety of the game just clinging desperately to Donkey's back.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I thought our group name was "Team Hates The Game".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Kiddy Kong can skip himself over water like a stone. That's pretty neat. Donkey Kong can't do that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

death .cab for qt posted:

Despite its flaws I think that DK64 is one of the best games in the series if you don't meticulously gather all of the golden bananas, for which there is no reward.

Fight me, nerds.

ew

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I can't remember if it was Viking or Mongol or something, but at least in Legend some warlord would torch their ships. No surrender or escape. If you want to get home you rip a boat out of some poor fools house or something.

Spanish. Hernan Cortez is reported to have done this when his fleets landed in the Yucatan with the intent of conquering the Aztecs. Historians dispute whether or not they actually burned them or just tore them apart, but yeah, Cortez destroyed his boats. If anyone wanted to return home they would do so in Aztec ships.

(Reportedly, after Cortez gave the order one of his men laughed. Cortez stabbed the man with his sword. The rest of the men then proceeded to tear apart the ships while drunk on rum).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This happens in the Age of Empires II: Conquerors Aztec campaign. At some point Cortez rolls up with a couple galleons, makes a speech, selects his galleons, and presses "backspace".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
DKC1 was a great game, though a product of its time. It was absolutely eclipsed by its sequel, which makes it hard to go back.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I quickly threw together an Aquatic Ambiance Remix playlist for anyone interested. There are more, so if anyone knows of any good ones, please send me links:

AQUATIC AMBIANCE REMIX PLAYLIST

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Derek Barona posted:

STICKERBUSH SYMPHONY AND FOREST INTERLUDE PLAYLISTS NOW PLEASE GOOD SIR AND THANK YOU

Yeah, no probs. Started throwing together some lists. Grabbed ones I was already familiar with. I'll throw on new ones as I find them.

STICKERBRUSH SYMPHONY REMIX PLAYLIST

FOREST INTERLUDE REMIX PLAYLIST

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's a passion.

Or a sickness? I love video game remixes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
OCRemix is great, but they're easy to find. I like trying to find the obscure ones done by random people on the internet you've probably never heard of, because I am a hipster like that. I will get (am getting) around to throwing in the OCRemixes in there.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

It's pronounced "key!" Krem Quay = Krem Key! kē! :argh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Fetus posted:

It has like a different tone from the original. I didn't even recognize it as Stickerbush Symphony when I first heard it.

Speaking of Stickerbrush Symphony remixes that you probably won't recognize as Stickerbrush Symphony remixes when you first hear them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwQ5zM2KSG8

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Llama is that dude from Dark Souls games who you let out and then other npcs start mysteriously dying

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Derek Barona posted:

Oh my god. What the gently caress was that.

reminds me of this boss fight in Mischief Makers. only, you know, not fun.

at all.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Justin_Brett posted:

I still don't know why they fired a shot at Earthworm Jim of all people.

I like to think I'm to blame.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Looper posted:

when's dk64

Artix, when are you gonna finish PoP2008 and eternally shame nine-gear crow?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N107Oce7JA

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Looper posted:

the k rool fight sucks!!

every level with the jungle music owns!!

thank you for reading my hot takes

here's a hot take: your hot takes aren't that hot!!! :yum:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's only a brief history, after all

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Derek Barona posted:

Who's gonna play Funky getting shot down by Klump and losing his tail?

Me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'll be playing the part of "Klump's Tail".

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Sometimes, I sit by myself and wonder...I wonder just how much the guy who sings the DK rap hates himself.

the DK rap is a national treasure and is the only objectively great thing about that game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Spookyelectric posted:

That N64 game looks like rear end.

Did all N64 games look that bad? I really do not remember N64 games all looking that bad.

yes

doin' an lp of one was rough because a lot of people weren't keen on the graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ometeotl posted:

Poutine is a culinary abomination unfit for consumption by even the notorious garbage eaters, raccoons.

yadda yadda yadda opinions like assholes blah blah everyone's got one and everyone's stinks

:canada:

• Locked thread