Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Boss looked to be on the Rayman 1 end of long, but how can you be mad at a Viking Seal leaping from the turnbuckle? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Orangutang Gang is still freakin' gorgeous. Dat sunset :allears:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Derek Barona posted:

It's worth noting, while the actual world itself is garbage, I always liked the map of Chimp Caverns. I like the whole giant cavern over an underground lake motif it has going, and it's a neat contrast against the rest of the area maps which are just "Random side of the island with a bunch of stuff along the way".

It just doesn't feel like the last world mapwise, although the bullshit is in full effect.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Those were clearly watermelons, not waterberries :colbert:

And were those... scare-acudas? :haw:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Artix posted:

Not one, two! I found out when I went back to get everything that they do in fact pull the trick with Kannon twice. At least the second one is significantly easier to pull off.

These were the last two Kremkoins I found out of the whole game. The reward... was more pain :argh:

I swear I'm the only one who likes the beehive levels.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I think my issue is that DKC3 feels like the second game in a series. Tries some new stuff, mixes things up a bit, mixed results (see: Dark Souls 2) The levels (so far) are pretty solid, it's the later levels that get sketchy.

Plus the level set up is weird. Random snow level in the first world?

We've already had 2+ Ellie-centric levels with her showing up in more, Enguarde and Parry(:argh:) have made very brief appearances. In DKC1 and 2 we'd seen almost every animal buddy already after the first two worlds.

The music is a mixed bag. Some are quite forgettable but the good ones give Wise some competition (a certain level type we haven't seen yet has the best music in the series IMO).

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bruceski posted:

What's the better name for that elephant, Metal Trunk or Ivory Gear?

Metal Ear?!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Artix posted:

I find that to be incredibly short-sighted, to be honest. We've seen Ellie three times (which is understandable as she is the biggest new animal buddy), Squawks once, Enguarde once, and Parry once, with Squitter and Quawks both being introduced in World 4 (or 3, but Mekanos is generally considered 4 iirc) and Parry and Enguarde getting World 3 more or less to themselves. If they had stuck Squitter somewhere in World 2, it would have been basically identical to how DKC1 and DKC2 rolled them out.

Fair enough, I had forgotten how water-centric/spider-centric these two worlds were (in my defense, it has been ~12 years since I last touched DKC3). World 3 seems much better laid out, perhaps because it has that identity of being the "water world" and embraces Ellie and Enguarde's water mechanics.

Squirt can go to hell though (scarily, I don't even think he's the worst boss in this game either). 2's bosses were just better IMO (save King Zing, dammit Squawks :argh:). Hell, at least 1's bosses were short and didn't have bottomless pits.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That rat is horrifying :gonk:

For all that I dislike about this game, the cliff levels and Rockface Rumble are fantastic. The cliff levels are all about speed which I love (IIRC, it's been a while), and Rockface Rumble is on par with Wise's best, personally.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Let's make a new world! Let's start it off... with a sewer level??? :psyduck:

Just... just why?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Has your opinion on any of the games in the series gone up/down during this LP Artix?

• Locked thread